Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Adinsxyz posted:

He probably means Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, which has some ska/reggae elements and is classified on wikipedia as ska, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ob-La-Di,_Ob-La-Da.

But that's really the only rationalization I can see

in that song I always imagined when he said Desmond, he meant Desmond Dekker and I'm not sure he doesn't...! And of course we ALL know that Desmond Dekker is a Jamaican ska/reggae legend, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Dekker.

You do know that Desmond Dekker has a song that pretty much says "Yes, the Beatles wrote this song about/for me" right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

And that reminds me. New Westbound Train album comes out April 21st!! You'll all get it and love it because I'll make you.

Nice. One of the only bands still around that's worth listening to.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

DRD posted:

I just saw The English Beat last night with Big D and my friend's band Infinite Detour. I was really impressed with the English Beat, they played a really long set and I wish I knew more of their stuff when I saw them.

The Beat did own. I think it's just the lead singer and some guys now, though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

btmi! hasn't put a bad album yet

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

New video of the Specials with almost all of their original members. It's killer so make sure you watch this first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5KHqhNtwis

Sick. They're all looking relatively good too. It's too bad Jerry Dammers isn't with them, though.

Also a nice summary of this thread is everyone ignoring that video.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

EST take their name from a trad song so they are probably good.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Now is a good time to mention Westbound Train's new album was just released last week and everyone needs to go give it a listen.

How does it compare to their other work?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Intelligo posted:

I just don't like the attitude that places the likes of T.Pain and Lil Soandso at the same degree of ability as, say, Catch 22 or the Bosstones. I like my trumpets non-sampled thank you very much.

You've got to be loving kidding me.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Sugar Blaster posted:

Ah man, asking if anyone has seen "HEPCAT" in quotes in a ska thread is depressing as gently caress.

i bet more people recognize their singer than the band :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

interpunct posted:

I would venture to guess that people would be more apt to recognize him from PCU.

Haha I was referring to Boy Meets World.