Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BrandNewHero posted:

So I've recently discovered Amazon.com's awesome MP3 downloading service, and I'm trying to build up my ska collection that way.
Incidentally, if anyone else -- like me -- is only buying MP3s at this point, Amazon has recently added Mustard Plug and Streetlight Manifesto to their catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Josh Wow posted:

I disagree, because I don't think there's been a significant change in sound to call anything the 4th wave. There's a pretty distinct difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wave ska, but Op Ivy doesn't really sound THAT different than Big D. Also the Bosstones formed in the mid to late 80s.
I agree. It seems to me that there are two ways to measure this, and neither one applies. There hasn't been a significant change in the music to justify the naming of a new subgenre, and what I understand is the origin of the term "third wave," a third surge in popularity, well... ska isn't popular. There hasn't been a fourth surge.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Shoes posted:

Not to drag you all off track, but the Bosstones are back in a big loving way. They sounded better tonight than they did before the hiatus.
Yeah, well, that'll be real cool when they play somewhere that isn't in Massachusetts.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hooray, the Mad Caddies have been added to Amazon MP3!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

guppy posted:

Hooray, the Mad Caddies have been added to Amazon MP3!
Incidentally, as long as I'm noting this, some more Toasters stuff was added well, including Dub 56.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Josh Wow posted:

This year was pretty amazing in terms of good albums coming out.
Besides the ones you mentioned, Big D and the Kids Table put out Strictly Rude, and Streetlight Manifesto put out Somewhere In The Between.

edit: oh whoops you mentioned SM

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Amorphous Bob posted:

I got tickets for the Streetlight show this Christmas, and boy-howdy am I ever excited. Somewhere in the between is such a drat good album. Different, but good. I can't wait.
Okay, what? You're talking like you haven't seen them yet, but it's January 3 and they don't have tour dates listed past January.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Amorphous Bob posted:

I live in Minnesota, and they'll be here on the 8th. So yes, I would be talking like I haven't seen them.

Because I haven't, yet.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you got tickets for a show that was scheduled for Christmas. Which, you know, is past already, hence my confusion.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Josh Wow posted:

You can now listen to our new album in its entirety online!

http://tajmoteltrio.com/part-of-the-problem.html

There's 12 songs total and I'm not sure if it'll be like this for everybody but for me I can only see the titles of the first 5 although all 12 songs play. Enjoy.
Holy poo poo, this is really good. The title tag of the store page says that you're taking "preorders" on the new album -- is that the case, or is it actually for sale now? And is the sound of the previous albums similar?

EDIT: Oh, out since December 18th according to the newspage. I'll have to see about getting this.

guppy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 31, 2008

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Josh Wow posted:

Yea it's for sale now. I think right now you can only buy it through our webstore, but that's pretty much the best way to buy it since we get all the money and ship it out ourselves so it doesn't take long. It'll be up on interpunk sometime in February I believe and we're working on getting it available on Itunes. Our last album Life of the Party is pretty similar sounding although not quite as many good songs, and Feels the Force is kind of the same thing just not as good. It's basically all the same type of sound but it just gets better with each record! You'd probably enjoy Life of the Party though, and we only have like 3 copies left so if you want one I'd order it now because I'm not sure how quickly we'll reorder. It is up on Itunes though so there's always that.
Okay, I just ordered both. Thanks!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

seventeen posted:

Some Streetlight Manifesto dates have been announced

Can't confirm all of the shows, but they're touring with Zox and Dan Potthast of MU330. I assume they're on board for the full tour.

Can't wait for the 27th!
Holy poo poo, awesome! I will be at the show at the Recher come hell or high water. Thanks for the info.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I got my Taj Motel Trio CDs -- thanks Josh! I'll listen and post back. Quick question, I want to put them on my Zune, but I can't find a good picture of the album art for Part of the Problem. Is there a convenient way to get one or will I just have to strip one out of the website header?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Josh Wow posted:

Just let me know what your email address is through a PM or something and I'll get it to you as soon as I can. Hope you enjoy the cds.
Sent you a PM, thanks.

The CDs are really, really good. As you said, Part of the Process is the stronger album. "Stop Playing Games" is especially awesome.

Everyone who hasn't bought at least that album really ought to if they're into third-wave at all. Catchy horn lines and fun lyrics, it's like listening to some kind of bizarro Reel Big Fish where the band doesn't hate everything.

Wicked Weasel posted:

The Bosstones are one of my favourite bands, ever since I heard The Impression That I Get, then ordering in every other record they'd made which took months to get delivered and finding they've got tonnes of songs I like even more.
I'd murder babies to see them if they ever came out to Australia again, maybe i'll have to get to a throwdown instead.

I tried Reel Big Fish and liked some of their stuff as I branched out a bit. If I like the tones where else should I start?
I haven't found another band in the same style as the Bosstones, but were you aware that they released a new album at the end of last year?

If you liked RBF, besides checking out Josh Wow's band that he posted above, try earlier Less Than Jake, Buck-O-Nine and Streetlight Manifesto.

guppy fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 8, 2008

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

seventeen posted:

I, personally, love the Voodoo Glow Skulls and find them to be similar to the Bosstones but not entirely. I highly recommend "The Band Geek Mafia", but I also really enjoy all of their other albums with the exceptions of "Adicción, Tradición, Revolución" and "Southern California Street Music" because I can never find them in stores and have never heard them.

Though they're not ska or even ska punk, you might also like Angry Samoans. The Bosstones cover their song "Lights Out", so if you like that odds are you'd be a fan of AS
If you're interested, both of those VGS albums are for sale at Amazon, both as CDs and MP3s.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Both of those are fantastic albums and would be right up the alley of someone into RBF. :) I do think Hello Rockview is a bit more accessible than Losing Streak, though. Initially I liked Rockview more, but these days I tend to gravitate towards Losing Streak.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Haha, I just listed myself on Facebook as attending the Streetlight show on the 21st and I'm by far the oldest person listed, most of the others are still in high school

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Holy gently caress! Reel Big Fish's site doesn't show them yet, but Pollstar says they just announced some new tour dates, and the one in my city is four days after the Streelight show here. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

It's gonna be a good week.

http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?AN=Y&By=Artist&Content=REEBIGR&PSKey=Y

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Got my tickets for Streetlight at the Recher in Towson on 4/21. Anyone else going to that show?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm not a fan of Valerie but I love every other song on that album. Cheer Up is fantastic no matter how much RBF's members try to trash it to preserve their 'indie' cred.
I love "Valerie" because I enjoy mean songs :shobon:

I like "Katie" off the Bosstones' new album for the same reason.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

alvinthegreat posted:

I didn't realize the Bosstones had recorded another album since Jackknife to a Swan.

Oh wait, checking my facts. They haven't yet. There's just a compilation album. Looks like "Katie" was from the Jackknife recording sessions, but didn't make it onto the CD.
Oh hay, I didn't realize Medium Rare was a compilation. Still, it is apparently almost entirely new-to-CD -- Wiki says three new songs, nine previously unreleased tracks and some rare B-sides.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Holy crap, it looks like the last of the Less Than Jake catalogue is finally up on Amazon MP3! And looks like the entirety of the Five Iron Frenzy catalog is going up on 4/1 too. I'm excited, I've wanted those albums for a long time. :)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Chipyy posted:

My band (https://www.myspace.com/thelockup) just signed to "Do The Dog" records!
Hey, congratulations!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

TLG James posted:

LTJ, Goldfinger, Big D, and Suburban Legends in Omaha on July 5th, I can't loving wait, :woop:

(LTJ has a bunch of new tour dates up)
Oh poo poo, a Baltimore date. Thank you!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Five Iron Frenzy are finally available on Amazon MP3 and I want to check them out. Is there a consensus on best albums?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sandwolf posted:

Can anyone recommend some good LTJ songs? The only one that is very ska-like is The Science of Selling Yourself Short.
The most popular LTJ albums are Hello Rockview and Losing Streak, both of which are excellent. You can't go wrong with just about anything from those two, but some specific recommendations:

From Hello Rockview:
  • Five State Drive
  • History of a Boring Town
  • Nervous In The Alley
  • Theme Song For H Street
  • Scott Farcas Takes It On The Chin
(There are several other great songs on this album, but these emphasize the horns more than most of the others.)

From Losing Streak:
  • 9th At Pine
  • Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts
  • Never Going Back To New Jersey
  • How's My Driving, Doug Hastings?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Just got back from the Streetlight show, holy poo poo, that was great. Ken never called though so we didn't meet up.

Opened with Watch It Crash; closed with Would You Be Impressed, which was really awesome for me since it's one of my favorite SM songs. Encore was Dear Sergio and something I can't remember. Everything Went Numb was somewhere in there too, got the crowd really pumped. Various other fun stuff in there too. We got the Linoleum (NOFX) cover as well, which was great.

Super pumped still. Anyone going to the Reel Big Fish show on Friday (at Hopkins)?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Color me excited. Wiki says it's due out 6/24, by the way.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Fuckin' A, I may have to get over my loathing for Baltimore City and go to the show at the Ottobar. Thanks for the heads up!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I went to the Reel Big Fish show last night at Johns Hopkins. Jesus Christ, I've never seen a crowd be less fun. :( I was pumped, too, RBF are my favorite band.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Like an Accident posted:

Mr. Kalnoky and Streetlight are coming to Philadelphia this weekend - worth my $15? It'll be my first ska show. (I already have a boner for horn sections, and I dig a lot of, but not all, the album work from Catch/Streetlight that I've heard). Are they too Punk for someone who really is going for the horn section?

I'd really rather go see Ay Carumba - that Ska Cubano record is sick. Too bad they're not playing anywhere close. :(
Christ yes, I just saw them last week and they were tremendous.

Feel better Jim :(

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I really wish those were close to me :( I love both those bands.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Maryland? Eh? Yes?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh neat, thanks for the heads up. I think I like it a whole bunch. I'm seeing them next month and I'm pretty stoked. :)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thornes posted:

This thread has fallen pretty far back and that saddens me.

So I was wondering, what can you guys tell me about Fishbone and some lesser known but easily obtainable Ska bands. (I don't want to have to journey to strange far off lands to obtain my music!)
I'm not sure what qualifies as "lesser known." Here's a few that you may not have heard of:

The Forces of Evil - Aaron Barrett's side project, sounds a lot like Reel Big Fish. Only has the one album, Friend or Foe, as far as I know, and aren't together anymore. Barrett pulled the band together around the time Cheer Up! was released because he thought everyone would hate the album and Reel Big Fish might break up, and he'd "still want to prove to everyone that I still love ska and love to play it."

Taj Motel Trio - If you haven't been following this thread for a while, you might have missed this band. Josh Wow of SA plays in it and they are very good. Of what I've heard, I like their newest (Part of the Problem) the best.

Buck-O-Nine - Start with Twenty-Eight Teeth, which I think is their best. If you can deal with the singer's voice consider other albums.

Spider Nick & The Maddogs - Something about these guys' horn section bugs me, but I don't know enough to know what it is -- I think it's either the production or the part writing. Still, there are several good songs off their album Fire Pit.

Bim Skala Bim - This was supposed to be a kind of ska supergroup. It didn't work because most of their writing is uninspired, but there's some good stuff to be had.

The Hippos - I understand they've become less ska-oriented over time, so I guess try to stick to their older stuff. I only have Heads Are Gonna Roll, which is fairly decent. Very poppy though.

Mad Caddies - Some of their stuff I really like, others not so much. Start with Quality Softcore.

Mustard Plug - Used to be a big name, not as well-known now. Pray For Mojo is my favorite of what I've heard.

Voodoo Glow Skulls - Very aggressive, "dirty" ska. The Band Geek Mafia is probably their best known; I like Firme.

Rx Bandits - I don't even know whether to classify these guys as ska. They have... a trombonist, if I remember correctly. They tend to write much more complex stuff than most ska bands. I dig 'em. They have three albums (well, four, but the first sounds totally different), Progress, The Resignation and ... And The Battle Begun. I like all three, but they all have a very different sound. I used to like Progress the most; now I find myself with a marked preference for ... And The Battle Begun.

Save Ferris - Has basically only one album worth listening to, It Means Everything.

I think that's a fairly decent list. If you need more suggestions I can drag out some of the stuff that is a little better-known but you might still not have heard of.

EDIT: All of these bands have some or all of their catalogue up on Amazon MP3, which also means that there are readily-accessible sample clips.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

They've kind of gone to a ska/reggae influenced progressive band, but I still think they're great. I'm actually going to see them next month. Their last 2 albums are amazing, Progress was a bit overproduced for my taste.
They are playing in my town next month too. I want to go, but I can't convince anyone to go with me.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo

I guess the Murphys and the Bosstones added a few more dates to their tour and they are now playing in my town! Tickets still available for Sterling Heights, MI; Columbia, MD (outside Baltimore); and Sayreville, NJ.

I just bought tickets, I'm super excited now. And the Less Than Jake/Goldfinger concert next Monday. This is a great year for shows for me. :) I'm going to the Maryland Murphys/Bosstones show, if anyone else from the area is attending.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Midget Gems posted:

On a similar note, can someone recommend me some new bands to listen to? I've got the entire LTJ catalogue and almost all RBF. Currently downloading some Mustard Plug and Bosstones, TMT also sounded very good.
There's lots more, but a few to start you off, with album recommendations:

Buck-O-Nine - Twenty-Eight Teeth
Mad Caddies - Quality Softcore
Big D and the Kids' Table - try either Good-Luck or Strictly Rude

And yes, I too am in love with Somewhere In The Between.

Unrelated: I finally picked up the Bosstones' A Jacknife To A Swan last night and I am really enjoying it.

guppy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 15, 2008

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm finding myself agreeing more and more.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Daddy Two-Coats posted:

I just picked up The Taj Motel Trio's new album, Part of the Problem. It's pretty good (at least the first half is, before it turns into a series of songs about the same ex-girlfriend), but they're a cool band from my local area and I just thought I'd drop the name because I didn't see them on the band list. I'm discovering a lot of great new stuff through this thread, keep em coming!
I love that album. I mention this every time they come up -- Josh Wow of SA plays in that band :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Backno posted:

Johnny Socko is great stuff if you can find it.... Full Trucker Effect is one of my favorite albums
Amazon MP3 has it and several others.

I swear, I don't work for them.