Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Miracle of miracles, there may be a new Streetlight Manifesto album on the way. By "may," I mean Streetlight says there definitely is, due out next year sometime, but, you know, fool me once...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ska/comments/okbg80/there_is_a_new_stm_album_on_the_way/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm interested, but I also really did not like In Defense of Ska, and am a little wary of buying it just because it's "about ska."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We Are The Union and Eve 6 got together and covered Sound System by Operation Ivy:

https://riotfest.org/2021/10/we-are-the-union-eve-6-premiere/
https://www.brooklynvegan.com/eve-6-and-we-are-the-union-cover-operation-ivys-sound-system-watch/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Big D and the Kids Table's new album, Do Your Art, is out this morning. Looks like it's on Spotify and Amazon and I assume iTunes etc. as well.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 22, 2021

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Kill Lincoln just put out a cover of That Song by the Bouncing Souls as a single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbVskMygc-I

Even the cover art is a callback to the Bouncing Souls album How I Spent My Summer Vacation.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Had to happen sometime, I guess. Still, bums me out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Well, that's confirmation about Dicky I guess. What a bummer. :(

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I forgot about this, because I knew it was ready (because lots of people got their vinyl copies early) but they didn't move up the official release date, but JER's new album is out:

Bandcamp
Amazon

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
New Interrupters album In The Wild is out today.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Abruptors have a second album coming out sometime this summer fall or winter on Asian Man. I wasn't aware of them until recently but I'm liking what I'm hearing. Their new single, Best Wishes, Warmest Regards is a banger.

CaptainCrunch posted:

This might be a weird question, but what the hell. Does anyone remember a band named Dizzybam?

This would have been in the early, early 90's. I remember seeing them all over the San Francisco Bay Area back in the day. They were a mainstay of opening lineups for Ska shows at the time, along with bands like Hepcat, Save Ferris, DHC and Pre-Tragic Kingdom No Doubt.

They billed themselves as "SkaFunkRastaPunk" and had one of the best sounding brass lineups I've ever heard live. Of course, this could just be my memory polishing itself.
I never got any of their recording, if they made any, and life moved me out of the area eventually and I forgot about them.

Just wanted to know if anyone else remembered them.

Skafunkrastapunk is also the name of Skankin' Pickle's first album, released 1991.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Westbound Train have surprise-released a new album, Dedication. It's their first album since 2009. YouTube playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mlVgyWFTwooDdLTnqvHzX40NzPx-LaDKY

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is this new Abruptors album on Asian Man ever coming out? Mike Park was promoting it and it's listed as "Summer/Fall 2022." There are only about two weeks left of fall and I can't find any more recent buzz on it. I LOVED "Best Wishes, Warmest Regards" and I am pretty excited for the new album.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I will not believe there is a new Streetlight album until I have it in my hands.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

lessthankyle posted:

Sounds like vinyl issues, I've heard it's hard as hell to get small band vinyl done on time nowadays. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=545929684020345&set=pcb.545929774020336

Yeah, that makes sense. Come on, though, put it out on digital already!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Abruptors finally have a specific release data announced for their new album, Noticeably Cheerless. It was supposed to be out last year and I'm not sure what happened -- upthread someone said it was currently difficult to get vinyl pressed for small artists -- but now it is scheduled for release on 2/23. I'm hyped, their first big single from it, Best Wishes, Warmest Regards, is a banger.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For anyone interested, Bad Time is kickstarting a New Tone documentary.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Abruptors' new album Noticeably Cheerless has been released on Asian Man!

https://asianmanrecords.bandcamp.com/album/noticeably-cheerless

I've been very excited about this ever since the first single (Best Wishes, Warmest Regards) dropped. Just got my copy, won't be able to listen til later today but I'm looking forward to it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I hate to double post, but this thread just doesn't see much traffic these days. When I was buying the Abruptors' album I also listened to new stuff out on Bad Time on Bandcamp, and picked up Bottom of the Pomps, by the Pomps, at the same time. I was not aware of this band, but I'm enjoying the album a lot! It apparently features members from Big D and the Kids Table, Westbound Train, Stray Bullets, and the Have Nots (the latter two are related already anyway); the singer is Big D's guitarist Alex Stern. I see it described as ska, and I think of it as more... ska-adjacent? Apparently the band has been around for like ten years, but they just put out this new album a couple weeks ago.

https://thepomps.bandcamp.com/album/bottom-of-the-pomps

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I had no idea he had a new band. To save people the trouble of Googling, it's "The Defiant," which tracks. No thank you. It's a real shame, I used to really like Dicky.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Aimee did some canvassing or something for Ron Paul and went on Alex Jones' show, both many years ago when she was much younger, but it was a big yikes. It's very unclear whether her politics have changed or what she thinks now. It was a major controversy and she's kept her political opinions buttoned up in recent years. I'd like to think she's changed, but it's difficult to say. People's politics can change, of course. But if she really had a change of heart, rather than just realizing that being a right-winger is a bad career move for a punk and ska singer, I'd have liked to see her say something. The fact that she hasn't, well, who can say, but it certainly makes me skeptical.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Bad Time Records' Wavebreaker EP #4 has apparently been announced and is out in 3 days, featuring songs by Joe Gittleman (former Bosstones bassist) and Bad Operation: https://badoperation.bandcamp.com/album/wavebreaker-4

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Scott from Reel Big Fish is apparently having health issues related to an old case of Lyme disease. The reddit ska people are discussing whether he has fallen in with charlatan medical providers, but if you are inclined to donate, his wife has a gofundme here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-scott-beat-lyme-disease

The gofundme itself was posted by skatune network, AKA Jer Hunter, so I assume the gofundme is legit at least.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Anybody know why the video of Jeff Rosenstock performing "Scram!" on Seth Meyers is now private on YouTube or where else I can find it? I loved that performance so much and I want to watch it again really badly.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I cannot believe how good Westbound Train's album Dedication from last year is. If you haven't heard it you are missing out, and I am usually more of a third-wave sound guy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Mustard Plug have announced their first new album in 9 years, Where Did All My Friends Go?. Out September 8 on Bad Time. There is also an extremely small run of a limited edition vinyl, which I do not care about because I am not a vinyl person, but some of y'all might be interested.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My older brother got me into ska years and years ago in the '90s. I've kept up with the scene, he hasn't, and I want to make a playlist for him so he can hear some of the stuff he's missed. I'm interested in recommendations, I'm sure I'm forgetting some bands. They can be new bands, or older bands but newer material, but I'm trying to keep it to one track per band, or else I'd be here for weeks. So far, I've got the following:

1. We Are The Union - Ordinary Life
2. Streetlight Manifesto - Forty Days
3. Kill Lincoln - Second Cities
4. Have Nots - Used to Be
5. The Action! - Jimmy
6. Mu330 - Hoosier Love
7. Westbound Train - Mercy, Wash Over Me
8. Catbite - Asinine Aesthetic
9. Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Lonely Boy
10. The Johnstones - Down On Me
11. The Hippos - Lost It
12. Bruce Lee Band - Occupy The Love
13. Big D and the Kids Table - Raw Revolution
14. Ellwood - Lost In Transition
15. Mad Caddies - Shoot Out The Lights
16. Joystick! - Parallelograms
17. Taj Motel Trio - god Save The Scene
18. The JB Conspiracy - Be Aware
19. The Abruptors - Best Wishes, Warmest Regards
20. Less Than Jake - City of Gainesville
21. Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
22. Slapstick - There's A Metalhead In The Parking Lot
23. I Voted For Kodos - Please Die In A Fire
24. Spider Nick and the Maddogs - The Pool
25. Mustard Plug - You
26. Skankin' Pickle - $13,000 Is A Lot Of Food!
27. Rx Bandits - Status
28. The Arrogant Sons of Bitches - So Let's Go! Nowhere
29. Bomb The Music Industry - 25!

A couple of these are older, in or even before the era he listened to, but they're new to him. Most of these are going to be names that people plugged into the scene know, but there might be a few lesser known bands in there that even people in this thread might not have heard of.

What great bands am I missing, and what's the best pick for songs from those bands? I know I don't have the more hardcore-adjacent stuff represented, like Link 80 and Omnigone, but neither of us are into that. I try to keep up with newer bands, but I'm old, so I'm sure there are some great ones I don't know about.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CodfishCartographer posted:

Jeff's new album, HELLMODE, is up on spotify!

I have now listened to this and I would like to say that it is Good

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks, I forgot this was out today. Unusually pricy for Bandcamp, ah well.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Dicky Barrett is now playing a show to raise money for RFK Jr.'s presidential campaign. I have rarely been so disappointed in a former hero of mine.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but Madness of all groups have announced a new album, due out 11/17.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Some other news and releases:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I really like this Hub City Stompers track, Wild One, from that Maui benefit comp. As far as I can tell, this is the first time they've recorded a studio version of it, and all the live versions on YouTube are awful quality.

guppy fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 17, 2023

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
JER is in the Washington Post. Ska is back baby

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/10/18/jer-sak-concert-dc/

I am not actually that into Hunter's heavy-on-covers focus -- and to be honest, I was a bit disappointed in the solo JER album -- but they are amazing musicians and massive boosters of the scene, so I am glad to see both them and ska in a major paper.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If anyone was waiting for that new Slackers album, it's out now, I kept forgetting to download it despite the reminder email from Bandcamp: https://theslackers.bandcamp.com/album/self-medication-2023

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Flying Raccoon Suit's new album Moonflower was released today: https://flyingraccoonsuit.bandcamp.com/album/moonflower

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I feel bad posting a bunch of times in a row, but it's been nearly a month since there were any posts in this thread, and I do have actual news. A new ska supergroup is forming, called The Inevitables, composed of alums from LTJ, Big D, BTMI, RBF, and the Aggrolites. They're due to release an album this coming summer on Bad Time and have a single you can hear here: https://www.brooklynvegan.com/ska-supergroup-the-inevitables-sign-to-bad-time-release-chemist/

I can hear the fingerprints of some of those members in the single, but it is not actually doing much for me, so I'm hoping to like the songwriting on the rest of the album a bit more.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CodfishCartographer posted:

I mean they are in theory coming out with a new album """"soon"""" - a handful of new songs have been played at shows within the last year or two. By kalnoky standards that means a new album is practically around the corner, but for the rest of us that means it might be a few more years before anything comes of it.

For the rest of us that could mean anything between "this afternoon" and "never," inclusive.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
As usual, ignore all of this unless or until you have a new record in your hands, but Tomas posted this indicating new Streetlight album late this year:

quote:

1. The album is 85% finished being recorded and should be at around 90-95% finished within a month or so. I say this with an estimated 82-96% degree of accuracy. Based on previous experiences and evidence, the accuracy of my personal concept of accuracy usually hovers right around 78%. It’s almost done is what I’m saying here.
2. The album is, barring any unforeseen catastrophes, being released by (and close to) the end of this year.
https://www.facebook.com/SManifesto/posts/990366829125690

Much more detail in the post.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We're certainly only hearing one side of the story, but yeah, it makes me wonder if there was not just a struggle for control but even some financial shenanigans going on behind the scenes. Interestingly, they didn't really get into any of the details about why Kibby left; hopefully if there were financial misdeeds he wasn't also involved.

I have never done a ton of listening to Fishbone; I remember Party At Ground Zero and not a lot else, and when I have tried randomly sampling their discography, I haven't always been into what I heard. It's possible I just don't like their sound, but I'm interested in giving them a real shot; are there particular standout albums or tracks I should listen to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thought I read about this here, but it looks like Joe Gittleman (ex-Bosstones bassist) is putting out his own solo album on Bad Time:

https://badtimerecords.bandcamp.com/album/hold-up

Single out now, album out June 21. I like the single. Also featured on the record are personnel from Big D, Pietasters and Bad Operation. There's a full list of personnel on the album page.

Bad Time are really killing it. Most of the noteworthy ska releases of the past couple years have been under their imprint, I think? I never thought I would regularly check a record label's page, but I check theirs.