Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is anyone going to the 7/29 Rx Bandits show at the Ottobar in Baltimore? I'd like to go, but none of my friends are interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Back from LTJ/Goldfinger show, that was fun as hell, lovely mixing was my only real complaint, and Jesus gently caress I'm tired and I'm gonna go collapse now.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Okay, I'm no longer completely dead, so I can give a better rundown now.

Generally - The show was a blast but suffered from shite mixing, which often made it hard to hear the vocalists and sometimes even some of the instruments.

Suburban Legends - Didn't know them at all. Their schtick is kind of silly but they clearly know it and are out to have fun with it. I'd have enjoyed it a lot more if I could hear the singer. Their trumpet player especially was having a blast and it was very cool.

Westbound Train - Very good but not a good choice for this tour. Way more traditional ska than the other three, which is fine and all but it's not what most of the crowd came to see. Still, I thought they were really good and I'm gonna look into their albums.

Goldfinger - loving great, stole the show even. A ton of fun and very energetic. And, uh, a bit of a stunt with a Twinkie. You'll see.

Less Than Jake - Very good but poorly mixed. Quite a long set and I was about ready to collapse by the end of it. Vinnie complained (correctly) that the crowd was tired by the time they got out because there were too many bands on the tour. Some really great stuff, I never thought in a million years they'd play "How's My Driving, Doug Hastings?" which is one of my favorites. Other highlights: "Sugar In Your Gas Tank," "Last One Out Of Liberty City." Really, the only song they didn't play that I really wanted to hear was "Scott Farcas Takes It On The Chin." Could have done without the crowdsurfer being dropped on my head, but no big deal.

Also, GNV FLA is out today :) Bought it off Amazon MP3 this morning. Very good, much better than the last couple. Standout track is clearly "Does The Lion City Still Roar?" but there's a lot of great stuff on it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Didn't get it at the show? It was only $10.
I didn't, and probably should have.

Vinnie was saying that he was going to reduce the price to $1 because "no one is buying the drat thing." Not sure if he was joking or not.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Oh, and drat you brits.

The bonus track you get isn't that bad either (Antidote for the Underdog). It leans a bit more into a IWOTC sound, but it would have been the second best song on IWOTC if it was on there (behind PS Shock the World). http://youtube.com/watch?v=0drzb_F_Sbs
Yeah, I am irritated that it isn't on the U.S. version. I don't really get why they do things like this.

I too am not big on IWTOC, but I think the best track off it is "A Still Life Franchise."

mix.lunar posted:

Well it seems the Warped Tour has out done themselves again. Someone managed to walk backstage and walk out with Aarron Barrets new Epiphone guitar. Seems like there isn't even a reason to have security there.
Oh that is loving ridiculous.

Backno posted:

Might I recomend "Transitions", I think it's a lot better the "Five to Two"

e: fixed poor choice of words
Noted, thank you

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I browsed the list in the OP for new-to-me bands, and I have fallen in love with I Voted For Kodos. I was shocked to see Amazon MP3 had a couple of their albums.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, if they aren't already big news, they're not well-known. Ska is a niche here these days and exposure isn't good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Just got back from the Bosstones/Dropkick Murphys show in Baltimore, loving awesome. There was one song I especially wanted to hear from each band, and I got both my wishes and some more awesome poo poo besides. My picks were "Don't Worry, Desmond Dekker" from the Bosstones and "God Willing" from the Murphys. :)

Other Bosstones highlights included "Everybody's Better," "1-2-8" and a cover of the mother loving Clash's "Rudie Can't Fail." They also walked on stage following a recording of "War."

Other Murphys highlights included "The Dirty Glass (!)," "Boys On The Docks," and uh inviting every girl who felt like coming up on to the stage to help sing "Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced."

The Murphys played several encores; the first was Shipping Up To Boston, for which they were joined by the Bosstones. :)

(Spoilers in case they do this all tour and people want to be surprised.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Can we not descend into a stupid argument about what is and isn't ska, Jesus gently caress

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Chipyy posted:

Yeah, god forbid we have a discussion about ska on this thread, of all places, jesus. Everyone go back to talking about the same three bands, nothing to see here.
Just trying to follow the guidelines from the OP.

lessthankyle posted:

Why does [Band X] suck so much, they aren't ska!
Let's keep this poo poo out of this thread, it's dumb and has a tendency to turn every ska discussion to poo poo. If you don't think a band is ska, it doesn't matter, just don't listen to them. They most likely are ska influenced, played ska at one time, or aren't all that good (but they're trying, and we need all we can get). Unless people start proclaiming Radiohead as gods of ska, we shouldn't have a problem.

Again: Absolutely DO NOT turn this thread into a shitstorm of "This band isn't ska!/Ska-core sucks!/Wah Wah Wah!"
Just remember, ska is the Byob of music. Not as elitist as punk, not as widely accepted as rock. We're just here to chill out and have a good time.

This OP will be a work in progress, so keep an eye for updates and changes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, the Murphys made the crowd average older. Ska generally skews young, though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

I know they're barely even ska-influenced now, but I just got back from an awesome RX Bandits concert. It was the best concert I've seen all year. The ending with Infection was amazing.

The first opening band (Facing New York) was pretty bad, and the second one (Portugal) was alright. Portugal's lead singer/guitarist never faced the crowd the whole set :?:
I'm going to their show in Baltimore on the 29th, glad to hear they're in good form. Anyone else going?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've been checking out Sonic Boom Six thanks to the recommendations in this thread, so thanks for that. I picked up Arcade Perfect and I like it.

Here's a video of Laila singing "She Has A Girlfriend Now" with Reel Big Fish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7dVvHvPBiY

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Saw the Rx Bandits last night, lots of fun. They packed the Ottobar pretty good. Played most of my favorite songs, including Nugget, Sell You Beautiful, Apparition, In Her Drawer and Only For The Night. They didn't play my favorite of theirs (Status), but everything else was awesome. :)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Maybe it's just me but I think Big D is a pretty lovely band.
There's a couple of really good Big D songs, the rest are pretty crap.

Chipyy posted:

Can I just ask - is there an American band called Beat? I only ask as you guys keep referring to "English Beat", whereas I've always just known them as "The Beat".
I believe the band changed names during their career.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've long felt that if you took the good songs from every Big D record and put them all together, you'd have one really good ska album.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I just bought the Bosstones' Devil's Night Out as MP3s from Napster. How long is "Howwhywuz, Howwhyam" supposed to be? It sounds like it cuts off very abruptly. My file is 02:33.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Cool, thanks a lot.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

DHCJohn posted:

So, what do you get when you mix a classic Shmorky cartoon with the sound of my favorite local band, The Homecoming Queens? I decided to give it a shot and find out.

Safety Seth's New Magic Show
Do you know if there's anywhere I can buy their album (as MP3s, not a CD)? I'm a Zune user, not an iPod user, and Amazon MP3, Napster and Lala don't have it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Z.S. Ghost posted:

It has been a while since I've posted here.

Worth mentioning that I'm going to Streetlight's Starland Ballroom (re: New Jersey) show in October, and am considering Skanksgiving depending on my schedule.
Man, they're going on tour again but aren't coming to my area? Poop. :(

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Same here. Not coming to my state, even.
Same. Well, I guess they were here like four months ago. It was awesome and I want to give them money though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Linoleum makes me scratch my head but the rest of that is great.
They've been playing it a lot lately. (NOFX cover, if you didn't know.) Their version's quite good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

For the record, it was the band I posted a few pages ago, posting again for gently caress you I can. http://myspace.com/4point0ny
Somehow I missed this the first time and I like what I heard. Any plans for an album?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

What's everybody's position on being "that guy" at shows that wears the band that's playing's shirt?
I don't really give a poo poo what other people wear, but I feel lame if I do it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I would prefer an album of not-covers, but I'll take any RBF I can get, and that tour sounds amazing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hmm... the 9:30 Club in DC is as close as they're coming to Baltimore. That area is kind of a shithole and a pain in the rear end for me to get to, but for that show I might do it....

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Really any LTJ before Borders and Boundaries, maybe throw Anthem in for shits and giggles, but that last one made me think "Oh so this is what didn't make it onto Anthem?"
Are you thinking of In With The Out Crowd? Because if so, are you aware that they released the far superior GNV FLA a little while back?

quote:

I'm surprised nobody said Mustard Plug, Evildoers Beware! and In Black And White especially.
I'm fond of Mustard Plug too; I'd swap in Pray For Mojo over In Black And White, personally. I love Evildoers Beware!, of course.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Box. Suburban Homesick Blues. Sadie May. Fuckin' Beer (song).
How's that for reasons?
"You" and "Jerry" are awesome too, they're my favorites from that album.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hmm... Philly isn't that far....

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BooDoug187 posted:

They had several ska songs on, mainly by bands that havent made it big yet. The song Im looking for won for like one day then most likely lost to some faggy boy band poo poo.
I know this is SA and all, but that's a pretty lovely thing to say in a thread about something with as strong a record of anti-discrimination politics as ska.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Be fair, that boy band poo poo was gay as hell. I mean I was like the perfect age when that poo poo was popular and I still thought it was gay as hell.
I... think you're missing the point.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Think that was me. Thanks!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Went to see the Toasters here at the Ottobar tonight. I was shocked at how small the crowd was. Guess they're not a big deal anymore. :( They were a lot of fun, though, and the people who were there were great, super friendly. Got to hear a lot of favorites. The set opener was Two-Tone Army and the closer was Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down.

The openers weren't ska bands, but they were pretty fun. I liked the Ambitions, the Rootworkers and Flatfoot 56. Wasn't big on Singleton. Unfortunately, neither the Ambitions nor the Rootworkers, my favorites of the openers, were selling CDs.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

If they do that set tonight you won't see me posting afterwards
I'll be too busy fapping because those are my two favorite songs.
If everyone who says they're going on Facebook shows up, we'll have like 80 people in a room that had a hard time holding 50. Oh yeah.
Yeah they're two of my favorites too, I was really excited. They played a bunch of other great stuff too, but man, what a way to start and end the night. :)

I feel a little bad I didn't recognize Hingley sitting by the merch table before the band went on. It was my first time seeing them and I didn't know what he looked like. Have fun tonight, they seem to be in great form. I had a loving blast.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Bah. I'd love to go even without that, but it's a bit too much of a hike. I want local dates!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Also, whoever the Toasters have running their merch table on this tour is an rear end in a top hat. If you got within three feet of the table, he'd throw you back into the circle
But the room was small enough that you were never more than two feet away at that point in the circle.
Guy was a loving dick.
Huh, the guy running the table at the show I went to was Hingley himself.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
~10 new dates announced for Less Than Jake in March. They're coming back to Baltimore :)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If any of you play Audiosurf on Steam, they're now playing an Italian ska punk group called Talco on Audiosurf Radio. They're worth a listen at least.

guppy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 23, 2008

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, I'd love to see most of those, but the sets are too short for my taste and I just can't see it being worth the price of admission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Do Or Die would like a word with you :mad: