Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I would hesitate to stick the Slackers in with other third wave bands, I'd say they have just as much of a traditional sound as Hepcat, mixed with reggae and rocksteady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Haha, I just noticed Drive Thru Pharmacy on that list. I used to see them every week in churches in South Jersey, heh. Didn't know they were big enough to actually be known outside of the (dead) local scene.

Also, I think the Stray Bullets are broken up too.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Booties posted:

This thread brought back a lot of memories.

The Philly ska scene was pretty ridiculous in the late '90s, early 2000s. We had this awesome local band called "Eighty Proof Soul" They had great musicians, and their singer had a great voice and was really beautiful. I may have to upload a few .mp3s from their one and only record for you guys, really high quality. I first got into playing trombone from this band. I actually bought my first one from their trombone player back then.

I don't listen to anything now except for Rx Bandits, but even they have evolved to something more like a political jam band with distant ska roots. My favorite old song from them was "Who Would've Thought" and "Gun in Your Hand".

Ruder Than You is one of my favorite Philly bands, I saw em for the first time with the Slackers years ago and they honestly stole the show.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I never got into SGR really. Partially because when I first started seeing them, they'd be playing church shows with No Regrets that for some reason all the sudden started pulling awesome bands like the Scofflaws, Bluebeats, Ruder Than You, but half of the crowd would just sit outside for those bands and then act like SGR was the high point of ska.

sno cones are yummy posted:

Anyway, this whole genre reeks of adolescent "OMG WE ARE SO TOTALLY RANDOM" wanksterism.

That element is really only present in third wave ska. Traditional ska basically had similar lyrical contents to reggae, and 2-Tone dealt a lot with social injustice, racial unity, and things like that.

Anyone like Fishbone? I really feel like as far as third wave stuff goes, they were way ahead of their time, considering they started in what, the mid 80s?

Does anyone know if Bomb Town or Hub City Stompers are still around? They were both from central Jersey, and both had an awesome 2-tone/oi sound.

Wizard Mannequin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 3, 2007

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

What was everyones first ska show? Mine was SGR(who I hate), Ruder Than You(who were incredible) and the Slackers, back when I was in like 9th grade. I'm really glad my first ska show was more trad/reggae oriented, and definately helped me get into that stuff.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Silva posted:

I've heard of that show, but I wasn't sure if it had actual ska like I heard it did.

Well now that settles it. If/when I have kids of my own I will make them watch this show, and only this show on television.

That show also had the Aggrolites play once.

The new Vic Ruggiero solo album, Hamburguru is awesome.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

weekly font posted:

Have any of you guys seen the Suburban Legends play live? They opened for Streetlight at the Starland show and JESUS gently caress. They were a bunch of Pete Wentz looking mother fuckers and had choreographed dance moves. It made me want to vomit.

I saw them before they were really 'big' and it was still the same. I never liked them, or their music.
I guess I've always actually been pretty bitter about having to see third wave bands that I hate to see trad/2 tone bands that I love, hah.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

No they're not "ska" but neither are a lot of bands...

Good point. I understand that ska has a different meaning now than it used to, but I sorta wish there was a different name for the punk with horns and up picking genre, heh.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

assuming thats the Trojans that mixes trad ska with Celtic music, that looks like it'll be an awesome show and I wish I could go.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

Maybe it's because they don't like punk and most 3rd wave contains a lot of punk rock elements. I mean if I didn't like punk I wouldn't like a vast majority of 3rd wave bands.

Also if you're talking about people who are elitist about it and are like 'well REAL SKA is blah blah blah not just punk with a trumpet blah blah' well they just have a stick up their rear end.

I like some third wave, but for the most part I'm not a big fan of it. I don't really consider it ska, but I don't dislike it for that(and try not to have a stick up my rear end about it).
I've got no problem with punk whatsoever, its basically my favorite genre, but for some reason I never got into the third wave sound, really. The best combination of ska and punk, in my opinion, is 2-Tone stuff, which incorporated elements of early British punk in with trad ska/skinhead reggae.

Plus, I think a lot of trad ska/2-Tone fans are biased against third wave cause get tired of mentioning that we like ska and having people start talking about how much they love it too, but not realizing that ska goes farther back than the late 80s :smith:

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

mrfancycrackers posted:

Because third-wave is what the majority of people consider ska, as that is what broke into the mainstream in the most visible way. So the best way to be elitist is to go against the grain against popular opinion. Same with emo.

RITES OF SPRING IS EMO YOU GUYS NOT MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE!!!

It has nothing to do with elitism, at least for most people. They're really different enough styles of music that you can't arbitrarily expect someone who is into old school stuff to like the new stuff.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Urgh, I wish I was 21 or had a fake. A bar in Philly, the Barbary has a party called 10 Commandments once a month. They spin all old ska, reggae, soul, dub, and rocksteady. Some friends of mine have been going, and it sounds loving awesome.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Holy gently caress. I just found a video of the Pogues +Lynval Golding +Joe Strummer playing Message To You Rudy. It loving rules.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7QL_PDC5XM&feature=related

Urgghghghh I wish I had been born a decade earlier.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Man, the Slackers have gotta be the most consistently awesome band around right now. A release or two almost every year since 96, and I can't think of a single one that isn't at least good. Think I'm gonna go see them soon in Westchester, they usually put on a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I saw Westbound Train for the first time last week, somehow, in Philly. I'm not sure how I've always managed to miss them, but they put on a great show, despite how weird the World Cafe upstairs is.
I liked the new songs they played a lot, but I really don't know the band all that well.