Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Has there ever been a tribute cd to the Aquabats? I've been listening to them a lot lately and I can't seem to find anything in-store or online. Failing that, are there any covers of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

what the christ? I've definitely seen the Aquabats in Best Buy and most of the local record stores

I was asking if there has been a tribute album to the Aquabats, not where can I find their cds

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Mike_V posted:

Why would a band that is pretty much still going have a tribute album?

Because other bands that are still together do? Like Metallica, for instance

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
I can't seem to figure out what song Bomb the Music Industry's "I Don't Love You Anymore" sounds like. I definitely recognize the intro from an older song. Does anyone know? It's been driving me insane for a few months and none of my friends can place it either.

quote:

Wizard Mannequin posted:

What was everyones first ska show?

My first ska show was at the Axis in Boston with MU330, Voodoo Glow Skulls and Streetlight Manifesto at Ska is Dead 2. It was oh so amazing. I went to see Voodoo and absolutely fell in love with Streetlight. I was familiar with Catch 22 at that point but not well, so I wasn't that excited to see what I thought was going to be some side project. Turns out I was so, so, so horribly wrong. Streetlight has been a constant in ipod for years now. It's still one of my favorite shows I've been to.

Learning how to skank was so awkward, but I loved it.

seventeen fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 4, 2007

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
I love Gimp. Considering his age when it was recorded, it's not bad at all. I'm a big fan of the track "Magnolium".

Also agreeing on the Supernothing sentiment. It's so much more heartfelt and emotional to me on Smiles... than the other versions.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

demolition rickshaw posted:

Speaking of, I wish I could find BOTAR's song It All Goes Numb. Anybody here heard it?

What album was that on? I'm assuming it's on some sampler or demo or something of the like

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I just checked the Bosstones myspace page and they are set to play with Zox (who?) and The Street Dogs that night. Might Joe Sirois play in two bands that night? If so, that'll be a long loving night for a drummer.

I'm also going to see The Street Dogs on December 21st. So getting to see them again so soon makes me happy.

The only thing I know about Zox is that they have electric violin in the band. I've heard of the band, but I'm hard pressed to find any Zox fans. I was pretty surprised to see their name attached to the Bosstones show. No shots against them or anything but I was kind of expecting something bigger. The Street Dogs should be pretty fun though.

For me, this is going to be the NYE to be topped for a long time. Can't wait.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

mrfancycrackers posted:

Hey, I'm going to this show, too! I can't wait to see them headline, I have had the worst luck with that. At Ska Is Dead 2 the Voodoo Glow Skulls (awful, awful band) headlined because their van came late, so Streetlight only played a 30 minute set. Then I had to see them with Reel Big Fish twice. Ugh.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that loves the Voodoo Glow Skulls :smith:

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

not a dinosaur posted:

Are there any areas in the US with a strong local ska scene anymore? A lot of bands skip Dallas altogether because nobody goes to the shows anyways.

With the recent closing of the Avalon and Axis in Boston, I'd like to imagine that Massachusetts/Rhode Island is getting back into the swing of things. The Avalon and Axis were the two of the biggest "small" venues for concerts in the Boston area and recently they were both closed down to be combined, so now a lot of smaller venues like the Middle East, T.T the Bear's, The Paradise and Harpers Ferry are getting a lot more attention from a lot more bands. I've definitely noticed a much more frequent show schedule now without the "Big Two" than with them.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

They'll be back. They are just rebuilding. I liked the avalon though. It was so convenient being basically right next to a T stop.

And don't forget The Roxy. They are getting more shows too.

I've heard a lot of heavy rumors that the two are actually being combined though I really don't see how that would work. It would just be far too large of a venue.

How is the Roxy? I've never been there. What venues around Boston/Cambridge would it compare to?

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I've heard that rumor too. What I heard is that they will have a movable wall that they can use to cut the club in half if they are having two separate events.

I guess that could appeal to both the smaller bands with two rooms and the bigger bands with one room. I hope the nostalgia of the Axis and the Avalon doesn't make most of the city turn against the new venue. It could definitely do a lot.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Although now that the Avalon and Axis have closed, it has forced me to check out other venues and I have really gotten to like some of them.

Personally I love the Middle East downstairs. It's got such an underground feeling to it (no pun intended). When I saw Streetlight there about two months ago, it was so packed and so hot that the sweat in the room was actually collecting on the ceiling and raining back down onto the crowd. Definitely my favorite venue

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

As much as people think Streetlight Manifesto is overrated, I really really enjoy their hornlines. Especially on the last album the hornlines just totally get me.

I've always found their horn lines to sound like anthems for super heroes. :sax:

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Josh Wow posted:

We're setting up a Boston show for our next real tour, it's not confirmed yet but if it happens it'll be the week of march 10th-15th or so. Haha, now if we go to Massachusetts and you don't show up you'll look like an rear end!

Keep us Boston people updated! I'd love to see you guys. Just added you yesterday on myspace complete with a note.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Some Streetlight Manifesto dates have been announced

quote:

4-12-08 Sluggos in Pensacola, FL
4-15-08 The Social in Orlando, FL
4-17-08 Common Grounds in Gainesville, FL
4-19-08 Masquerade in Atlanta, GA
4-21-08 Recher Theatre in Towson, MD
4-27-08 Middle East in Cambridge, MA
4-30-08 Revolution Hall in Troy, NY
5-05-08 Pops in Sauget, IL

Can't confirm all of the shows, but they're touring with Zox and Dan Potthast of MU330. I assume they're on board for the full tour.

Can't wait for the 27th!

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
On a side note, why is Zox playing with seemingly every ska band under the sun lately? I don't get it :(

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

mix.lunar posted:

Where did you find these? I checked Streetlight's main site and their myspace and nothing about it is on there.

Ticketmaster.com under a search for Streetlight Manifesto. The night before I posted the dates, I was curious to see when they were playing again and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I fact checked with my venue (The Middle East) on their show dates section and they confirmed it. If the past is telling, Streetlight usually doesn't announce it on their website until a full tour is booked which leads me to believe there might be more dates added.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Full set of Streetlight dates thanks to Victory Records

(all dates are with Zox and Dan Potthast of MU330 unless otherwise noted)

quote:

Mar 29, 2008 Las Vegas, NV, US @ DESERT BREEZE SKATE PARK w/ Pennywise, Chiodos
Mar 30, 2008 Orangevale, CA, US @ THE BOARDWALK
Mar 31, 2008 San Francisco, CA, US @ SLIM'S
Apr 1, 2008 Portland, OR, US @ SATYRICON
Apr 2, 2008 Seattle, WA, US @ STUDIO SEVEN w/ Dan Potthast (no Zox)
Apr 2, 2008 Philadelphia, PA, US @ THE TROCADERO
Apr 4, 2008 San Diego, CA, US @ SOMA
Apr 5, 2008 Irvine, CA, US @ VERIZON WIRELESS AMPHITHEATER
Apr 6, 2008 Tempe, AZ, US @ MARQUEE THEATRE
Apr 7, 2008 Albuquerque, NM, US @ LAUNCHPAD
Apr 8, 2008 Denver, CO, US @ OGDEN THEATRE
Apr 10, 2008 Houston, TX, US @ MERIDIAN
Apr 13, 2008 St. Petersburg, FL, US @ STATE THEATRE
Apr 14, 2008 Ft. Lauderdale, FL, US @ CULTURE ROOM
Apr 15, 2008 Orlando, FL, US @ THE SOCIAL
Apr 19, 2008 Atlanta, GA, US @ THE MASQUERADE
Apr 21, 2008 Towson, MD @ RECHER THEATRE
Apr 22, 2008 Pittsburgh, PA @ DIESEL
Apr 23, 2008 Detroit, MI @ MAJESTIC THEATRE
Apr 24, 2008 TORONTO, ON, CA @ PHOENIX CONCERT THEATRE w/ The Johnstones, Dan Potthast
Apr 25, 2008 Montreal, QC, CA @ LE STUDIO w/ The Johnstones, Dan Potthast
Apr 26, 2008 Quebec City, CA @ ANTI HALL w/ The Johnstones, Dan Potthast
Apr 27, 2008 Cambridge, MA, US @ MIDDLE EAST
Apr 29, 2008 WILLIAMSVILLE, NY, US @ CLUB INFINITY
Apr 30, 2008 Troy, NY, US @ REVOLUTION HALL
May 1, 2008 Allentown, PA @ CROCODILE ROCK
May 3, 2008 East Rutherford, NJ, US @ MEADOWLANDS Bamboozle Festival
May 4, 2008 Cleveland, OH, US @ AGORA BALLROOM
May 5, 2008 Sauget, IL @ POP'S
May 6, 2008 Chicago, IL, US @ METRO
May 7, 2008 Milwaukee, WI, US @ TURNER HALL
May 8, 2008 St. Paul, MN, US @ STATION 4

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Wicked Weasel posted:

If I like the tones where else should I start?

I, personally, love the Voodoo Glow Skulls and find them to be similar to the Bosstones but not entirely. I highly recommend "The Band Geek Mafia", but I also really enjoy all of their other albums with the exceptions of "Adicción, Tradición, Revolución" and "Southern California Street Music" because I can never find them in stores and have never heard them.

Though they're not ska or even ska punk, you might also like Angry Samoans. The Bosstones cover their song "Lights Out", so if you like that odds are you'd be a fan of AS

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

guppy posted:

If you're interested, both of those VGS albums are for sale at Amazon, both as CDs and MP3s.

:doh: I don't know why I never thought of this. Thanks!

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

WaffleZombie posted:

Oh, and the Streetlight show in Philly is actually on May 2. They're a great band, but they can't be in two places at the same time. And you can go to their site to preorder tickets.

According to the list I posted from the Victory site, they won't have to be in two places at the same time ;)

Hopefully the TBA date on April 28th is RI so I can selfishly see Streetlight two nights in a row

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Aquabats

For a second I thought that they were on tour and got really excited. Turns out I was wrong. So, so, so wrong :(

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Thornes posted:

One day I'm going to be an Aquabat for Halloween.

I wish there was a way to get more than just the eye mask from their website. I know they've sold the uniforms before but is that only a limited time thing? Also, how do you become a member of the cadets? On their site they have a replacement ID card for the cadets, but I can't seem to find out how to be one. Apparently you get some nice goodies for signing up

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Found a Taj Motel Trio show in Boston via facebook! :) It's March 11th at the Midway Cafe (3496 Washington Street). 6PM :10bux: The only opener I recognized was Senior Discount, but the other bands playing are The !ndiscretion, A Wrench in the Spokes and apparently more TBA

I'll 100% definitely be there to support you and your mates Josh Wow

seventeen fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 20, 2008

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Tip the Van is alright. It's a dual female vocals dance rock band similar to the Dance Hall Crashers. I was friends with Nicole for a little while until their touring schedule got too hectic. They're not too shabby and worth checking out if they come to the area

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

PurpleTowel posted:

Who do you guys recommend I listen to next?

I whole heartedly endorse the Toasters and the Specials. They're two great throwbacks. If you're lucky enough to have the Toasters come out to your area, definitely check them out. They're a fantastic show. Other than that, I also recommend "The Return of the Aquabats!" by the Aquabats, Operation Ivy (though they're more of a blend of punk and ska than just straight up ska), Skankin Pickle (their live disc is probably their most accessible), The Voodoo Glow Skulls (a great ska punk band who have an amazing live show), Dance Hall Crashers, and The Suicide Machines. From there, just check out what bands they've toured with and you'll probably find a ton of new music through there. Merry skankin! :dance:

Edit: Forgot about Westbound Train. They're a great Boston band that blends ska and reggae. Highly recommended!

Edit 2: Oh! And MU330!

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Lazlowrocks posted:

Hmm, I think I liked Charge! more than Return. Get them both though.

Not hating on Charge! I really don't think they've released a bad album yet. Some of their B-sides are fantastic as well, particularly "Cold Raw Gold". I remember hearing stories that they never play it live or released it because the Commander was hitting himself and poo poo while recording it or something, but I've never read anything to back that up.

e: I'm positive I heard this here. Can anyone back this up?

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

alvinthegreat posted:

Hello Ska Goons!

I've been looking into putting a ska group together with some friends here in Sacramento, but the biggest challenge I am having is finding a drummer. Do any of you know anyone in the Northern California area who plays ska or punk drums? This is totally a shot in the dark, but I'm running out of resources.

I know someone in San Diego, but I don't know if that will help you. My info is in my profile if you're interested

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
:siren: Attention Boston area Streetlight fans :siren:

Streetlight has added another night to the Middle East downstairs. Tickets are available now for those of you who couldn't get your hands on the first night's tickets before they sold out.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
I honestly think they haven't put on many good shows since the 2002 era after Marc Flynn left the band. Big D just doesn't work to me without the dual vocals I've seen them a bunch of times since then and occasionally they have a lot of flair and put on a great show, but Dave continually forgets his own lyrics and it kind of fucks up the flow. I remember being at the Palladium for Summer of Ska not too long ago and they had to restart LAX because Dave was so lost in the progression of the song. I've met him in person and he's a great guy but sometimes he just takes me out of it.

I'm kind of biased though because I haven't really enjoyed most of their work since Gipsy Hill with a few exceptions here and there, but then again it could always be nostalgia speaking so who cares it's awesome music and fun to dance to

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

RyanManRules posted:

Ska brothers, and sisters. Anyone know if the Upcoming streetlight show in boston is sold out, I saw a post up there saying they did sell out but they set up another show? Lemme know please? I gotta hear their new album in the flesh.

The first night 100% sold out. I have no idea if the second night has. According to ticketmaster.com, there are still tickets available for the second night.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Yesterday was my birthday, and though it hasn't come in yet, my friend got me the Serious Awesomeness! Aquabats dvd. I can't even begin to describe the joy! I was under the impression it was out of print, but I guess I was wrong. Does anyone else own it?

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Did anyone else see Streetlight in Boston this past week? I went to the first night and I'm really curious as to what they played on the second night

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

mix.lunar posted:

Speaking of Scott Klopfenstein, guess who's playing the whole Warped Tour? Reel Big Fish! Guess who gets a 30 minute set? Reel Big Fish! Guess who gets a 1 hour 30 minute set? ANGELS AND loving AIRWAVES.

I'm so loving mad right now.

Where did you hear this from?

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
I'm pretty sure I haven't posted in this thread in like 2 years. Oops.

Does anyone know how in the blue hell to get in touch with Jeff Rosenstock from Bomb the Music Industry? I've wanted to film one of their shows for years and after just realizing that they're playing at Europa in Brooklyn its the perfect opportunity. Anyone have any ideas or should I just do it through their booking email?

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Josh Wow posted:

You don't have PMs and I don't wanna just post his poo poo up here. Give me an email address and I'll send you his email address. I'm not positive he still checks it but he probably does, I haven't sent him an email since last february.

Email is captaintjobrien at gmail dot com

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Obama Yo Mama posted:

e: poo poo cap, I didn't know you were a ska guy. Where the hell were you when Jovial and Alpha used to hate on me for playing BtMI! in the waiting room before games :argh:

I'm going to try my damnedest to be at that Europa show too.

Bomb the Music Industry is literally the only music I have for custom music in NHL 10.

Just found out that they're apparently playing a double show this Sunday at the Middle East so hopefully I'll be able to check out the later show (8 PM for you fellow Massholes).

I personally haven't heard a song by them that I haven't liked, save for maybe their Bear Vs. Shark cover. Their shows are always wild and unreal high energy. All you guys who are on the fence about them should check them out. You'll probably end up changing your mind.

Last year I saw them with this band from Phoenix called Andrew Jackson Jihad and, holy poo poo, what a loving show. AJJ isn't a ska band, more of a folk punk band but they're definitely worth checking out. If this song called "Lady Killer" doesn't make you laugh you have no soul (ignore the lovely fan video)

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Let's talk about how terrible the House of Blues is. I got in and got put on the 2nd Mezzanine and I had to sneak my way downstairs.

I wasn't a huge fan of the set up of the House of Blues. It looks almost exactly like the Avalon but with a higher ceiling, another balcony and a smaller dance floor. It made me miss Avalon and Axis more than it impressed me.

Also I know not a lot of love goes out to Suburban Legends, but they made me laugh last night because they iced a dude on stage, and then did a skadisco cover of Bedroom Intruder. I giggled.

My jaw dropped when they covered this. It was pure awesome.

Koo Koo Kanga Roo was hysterically fun to watch on stage. I personally wasn't super into them but I can absolutely see how they fit the bill perfectly with the antics of the rest of the bands. The only way I can describe them is that they're LMFAO but for kids.

The Aquabats nearly killed me because their set was so awesome. A few years ago I burnt an Aquabats mix cd that was my ideal live set and they hit nearly every song on it except for My Skateboard. I've waited many years for them to come back and they absolutely did not disappoint. They were everything I remembered but with way, way, way more energy. I even made the pre-set silly face montage! Totally sweet! I just hope that I don't have to wait 3 years to see them come to Massachusetts again :ohdear:

Reel Big Fish was excellent. I realized that in the last 5 years or so the only ska or ska oriented shows I've been to have consisted of at least one of Big D and the Kids Table, Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto or Bomb the Music Industry! so I wasn't as amped to see the Fish as much as I have been in the past but their energy was incredible. The last few times I've had the pleasure of seeing them they almost seemed to phone in their set. Although sonically they've always been impressive, they used to never seem like they were having too much fun. I couldn't believe my ears that I was hearing 241 and Snoop Dog.

Up next is Bosstones/LTJ at the throwdown if I can find a floor ticket and Streetlight in Northampton February 11th with three bands I've never heard of.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
But you got to shout "WHERE WAS THE CAPTAIN?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

hedgecore posted:

I found another old gem to share. I don't think many people know this exists.

Sorry it's not broken up into individual MP3's...

http://snevesneve.com/jaytea/thepascalparty/The%20Pascal%20Party.mp3

The New Found Glory cover had me in stitches. Great find!