Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Man I feel really stupid asking about lyrics here but does anyone know the lyrics to Mephiskapheles' "Centre of the..."?
I tried googling for it but there are only like three Mephiskapheles songs on any lyrics sites that they have the actual lyrics for.

Bonus happy points for whatever is said in the beginning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Dickeye posted:

Is it local band plug time? I believe it is! http://www.myspace.com/therobobuddies Right there, another ska/rock/something or other band.

I really like the sound but the vocals are kind of throwing me off.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

So last night at the RBF/Streetlight/Tip the Van show in NYC Streetlight played some song that Tomas said was going to be on the next album. So I guess it was a cover of...something. Anybody know what that something was?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Hey, what the hell is this?!

Madness is releasing a new album?!?!

It's called "The Liberty Of Norton Folgate"

They have some songs up on their MySpace!

E: A fifth line of text, longer than the last for good measure.

Double edit: Wait, I didn't realize they were still together. Man that makes my news less special. How about news that The Specials are doing a reunion tour? It's for their 30th anniversary.

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 23, 2009

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Was Good Luck the one with LAX bcause that was a bad album

A Bad Album

That would be How It Goes

My personal favorites are Gipsy Hill and Shot by Lammi

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I like when they play Liquor Store and My Very Own Flag

I'm not a huge Less Than Jake fan but Liquor Store is my favorite out of the few songs I like. I keep that one on my playlist of favorite Ska songs

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I know there are a few NYC goons out there so you might be interested in knowing that Streetlight Manifesto is playing at SUNY Purchase tomorrow. I have no idea for how long but I just know that I'll be there.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Does anybody have any thoughts on Sonic Boom Six?

I've been listening to their Arcade Perfect album and while I think some of their songs sound pretty good I'm not really into the rest of it.

So I was wondering if they have any better albums to try or if they're just not worth it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

josh04 posted:

Which songs did you like?

The songs I've been enjoying so far have been Arcade Perfect, While you were sleeping, and For 12 weeks, the city is theirs.

Arcade Perfect is what I enjoy the most though, I really like the energy behind it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Miscellaneous_T posted:

The Best of 3rd Wave TV, and out of print VHS that has a lot of awesome bands, and starts out with some vintage Reel Big Fish.

This makes me very happy.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I'm considering seeing a show with the following bands: "mustard plug, eastern standard time, void union, we are the union, royal city riot and hub city stompers"

Of them I only know Mustard Plug and Hub City Stompers. What can you guys tell me about the others?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Thanks for the info. Apparently there are a few more bands that I missed, too.

King Django, Brunt of It, The Heavy Beat, Steady Sound System

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

Taj Motel Trio

Also I forgot to respond to this earlier but Mustard Plug, We Are the Union, Eastern Standard Time and Royal City Riot are all killer live. Hub City Stompers are killer live as well, but they're a very acquired taste. I've never seen void union live.
Excellent, I guess I'll definitely have to go to the show then!

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

The JB Conspiracy - Pipe Down

Also looks like they have a new demo up on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/thejbconspiracy

I wish they would tour the US
Thanks for bringing this band to my attention, I'm really liking em.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Speaking of Choking Victim, what are some good songs by them? Leftover Crack too for that matter. I want to give them a shot but some of the songs I've heard sound too much like death metal with the growling and rumbling and poo poo.

I'm just not into that kind of thing.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

drunk asian neighbor posted:

For reals? Oh man that doesn't bode well. I loving love Big D and I really don't want to see them go to poo poo. Where are you finding these new songs?

On their myspace. You might not want to go through with it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Dickeye posted:

OK so I don't know who's checked SM's site today but they have a link to the second song they played for Fearless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuuJRsBiPho

I see an MC Lars shirt!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Dickeye posted:

you'll see it again if you watch the video fo them doing We Will Fall Together for Fearless

I didn't know that video existed either! Now I'm very happy because I like that song so much more than Somewhere in the Between

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Dickeye posted:

I don't get that man

That is like THE Streetlight song and I'm almost tired of hearing it

Hey it's not my fault if you've heard it too much. It's not like they play ska on the radio or anything either. :colbert:

That's not to say it's my favorite Streetlight song, I just like it better than Somewhere in the Between. My favorite song on that album is probably The Receiving End Of It All.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Dickeye posted:

That one subforum, second from the top

You betray goonkind for another forum. How could you?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Oh hey whaddya know, I already knew about that forum

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Dickeye posted:

lies

nothing is worse than anything suburban legends has done that wasn't a disney cover

High Fives is a drat good song

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Sugar Blaster posted:

so have any of you guys seen the dan deacon / liam lynch seashorse video? because that's what "not loving around" sounds like. its like dave mcwayne got hosed up on lsd, started rambling, some guy recorded it and set it to music.

Speaking of Dan Deacon in his song Ohio right here he briefly mentions ska bands and rudies!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I don't remember if I've mentioned that I love Murphy's Kids or Tri-State Conspiracy yet so I'm going to go ahead and do it now.

You should all listen to them.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Robots in Hell is a loving awesome song.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

lessthankyle posted:

That's an awesomely epic announcement.

You might even be able to say it was an announcement of biblical proportion.

christianskaband

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I'm so sad that I missed all three major shows. If by some miracle I could attend the NJ show I'd be the happiest person in the world. Sadly I am upstate in Binghamton, NY.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

drunk asian neighbor posted:

So one of my cardinal sins is loving ska and never actually having picked up a Mustard Plug album. What should I start with?

I'd say Evildoers Beware...but then you might not be able to top it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I don't know what they are but I like 5 and 6 the best.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Edit: gently caress you got me.

You broke my heart Chwoka

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 30, 2009

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

It's been much too long since anyone posted in this thread and I need to share my outrage.

I downloaded the last.fm app for my Droid and decided to let it play the Recommendations station (I'd been scrobbling Ska exclusively just for this!)

The first song that pops up is by The Hippos and it sounds pretty good. Then I realize it sounds really familiar. Then I further realized it was a song by The JB Conspiracy. There was no way for me to flag it as being wrong. Now people are gonna hear that amazing song and not know who really made it!

edit: perhaps it will be possible to flag it in the real last.fm

double edit: The one on the website is correct! :psyduck:

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 12, 2010

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

That sax doesn't really look like an S so much as a sax that separates necro and kamikon

EDIT: On second look I think you could get away with it if you tilt all the other letters to the right!

dnz posted:

Well you know what they say, ska is dead.

:smug:

Well that just makes it ten times better.

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 1, 2010

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Big D's cover of New England?

I hate that song.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

but whyyyyyyyy

I mostly just really hate that whole dum da dum dum day thing

edit: also i'll go with everything josh wow said

also i'm gonna get poo poo for this but i just plain don't like LTJ. except liquer store and johnny quest

also yo dickeye thanks for the help 4point0's playing at my school on the 16th!

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 3, 2010

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I saw mention of RazSum. Who are they? Why are they a big deal? Rudegoons enlighten me!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

What the hell Zolof the Rock and Roll destroyer did something with RBF? They're playing at my school this weekend.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

4point0 played at my school last night. They were loving awesome. I encourage you all to see them. I skanked more than I've ever skanked before in my life. Mostly cause I'm a poser.

Then we partied all night. Good times!

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Dickeye posted:

I sitll have a hard time picturing some of thsoe guys partying

Well, not really "some", mostly just Garrett.

I don't think he partied too hard. Not as hard as some of the others, anyway.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Dickeye posted:

gently caress it why not

Because they like to make fun of your transvestite girlfriend :cheers:

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Rabin_Crabmink posted:

Streetlight posted new tour dates on their site, one of which is

Acoustic show eh? I'm there. Same for the July and August NYC shows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Speaking of 4point0, if there's anybody that can help with booking in Boston, Long Island, NYC, Philly, or Scranton, let me know so I can pass it along.

The only place I know of on long island is crazy donkey. I only know of it because Streetlight has played there. In the city I don't know of any smaller venues except maybe the knitting factory but maybe they're considered big.

Keep me posted about these shows though because I'd like to see them again