Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

There is something distinctly weird about being in some random bar in Allston and seeing Dave and Sean from Big D and the Kids Table walk in. I was sitting there with a buddy just hanging out when he's like. "no. no. NO WAY! Look behind you!" and sure enough I see Dave and Sean and a bunch of random people drinking and having a good time. We didn't talk to him (why bother him with his friends?) but we flashed him a thumbs up on the way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

good god. I am going to camp out for tickets to the Bosstones on the 31st. Not even kidding. Its my birthday!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

jetgrindeggy posted:

Good to know I wasn't the only one there who's finished high school (it sure as hell felt like it).

:smith:

This is ska in the Boston area :/ Its me and my two friends who play trombone who are the creepy old guys at shows. Well I don't think i'm creepy, but there's like a 5 year age gap between me and everybody around me.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I just got my tickets for the Bosstones on New Years... Hell of a birthday present!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

what the christ? I've definitely seen the Aquabats in Best Buy and most of the local record stores

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

weekly font posted:

Have any of you guys seen the Suburban Legends play live? They opened for Streetlight at the Starland show and JESUS gently caress. They were a bunch of Pete Wentz looking mother fuckers and had choreographed dance moves. It made me want to vomit.

See the thing is they go for choreography, the same way the Aquabats have a zany live show. Its not everybody's cup of tea, but I appreciate it. No they're not "ska" but neither are a lot of bands...

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

seventeen posted:

I was asking if there has been a tribute album to the Aquabats, not where can I find their cds

Oh. Sorry if that was snarky, then. I figured you were asking for their cds which are pretty well known versus ASOB or like. Mustard Plug, even.

If you don't like Suburban Legends, do you like Whole Wheat Bread? They're not a "ska" band but they've been on a ton (pretty much every single major ska show in the northeast in the past what 4 years, at least) of playbills with "ska" bands. Just replace "choreography" with "black" under the gimmick box. They're not the best band ever but I like them. I can put them on for a lot of non-ska listeners and have them not have that "ewww ska" revulsion thing going on.

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 21, 2007

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Learning how to skank is like being raped. At the time its awkward and uncomfortable as gently caress, but once you've gotten it over, you'll never forget. And you'll be traumatized for years later!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

lessthankyle posted:

I got tickets for NYE the minute they came out. This is gonna be the show of the year(s).

it is my birthday too! I got my tickets like the second the website updated.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

hedgecore posted:

Hey, so I just posted my skapunk band's new CD for free in GBS, so I'll crosspost it here too!

Download Legitimate Business - If You Can't Take The Heat...

Anyway we're growing fairly big in the Jersey scene so if you've been to any of the recent non-starland shows (Catch 22, Voodoo Glow Skulls/Mustard Plug, Mustard Plug/BTMI/Westbound Train, or any ASOB, BTMI!, or IV4K show) you've probably seen us there. I also go by sneve... you skachilles dorks.

That album is pretty badass!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Shiiit haha. I was up front too! black emo hair and a red bandanna much? I thought I smelled goons.

Definitely one of the best shows I'll agree and I really liked Zox. What I didn't like was freaking 25 year old crowd surfers who weighed more than I do. I ate poo poo and fell to the floor when some 250 pound bear landed on me. I'm ok with prepubescent 14 year old boys who weigh 90lbs crowdsurfing but jesus christ SO HEAVY.

best birthday ever.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Check out the Sad Cafe over in Plaistow. I mean there aren't any big ticket ska bands that I know of, but we just played a show there last night that was pretty kickin'.

I have no idea how NH has a ska scene though. Maybe i'm just nuts.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

As much as people think Streetlight Manifesto is overrated, I really really enjoy their hornlines. Especially on the last album the hornlines just totally get me. Its almost brass choir-ish on a lot of their breakdowns, which is really pleasant. I mean there's nothing I like more than really strong horns. I mean I love Less Than Jake a ton but they're not the go-to guys when I'm feeling horny.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

My friends who listen to ska all like them but they liken SM to Radiohead.

I am so not going down that road, though.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Call me ignorant, but I didn't even know Denmark had a ska scene. I'm actually fairly ignorant about world ska. I know there's a semi-big J-ska scene (is there a niche Japan doesn't have?) and some stuff in Brazil but elsewhere?

edit: Zox is ok but they're very much Indie rock and that's weird for a lot of people who are into ska. I guess they're trying to expand their fanbase?

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 7, 2008

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

seventeen posted:

Tip the Van is alright. It's a dual female vocals dance rock band similar to the Dance Hall Crashers. I was friends with Nicole for a little while until their touring schedule got too hectic. They're not too shabby and worth checking out if they come to the area

I like Tip the Van a ton, but sometimes the singing in fourths really really pisses me off, as far as gimmicks go. It adds some nice harmonies a lot of the time but it just doesn't fit other times.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I feel kind of dumb sometimes but when I was in 8th grade I was REALLY into Less Than Jake and the Aquabats (back when they you know, had horns) but now I don't really care for them much. I don't avoid them or anything, but they're just bands I seem to have grown out of.

I can pretty much throw on RBF at any point in time, though. All my friends (even the non-ska ones) know the words to Beer.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

oh man I want one

where are you getting this!?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

so I took a capoeira class today and you may not think its ska-related but thank god for my years of skanking. There were kids who couldn't do the movements, but by modifying my basic skanking posture I was able to get the basic stance down. Its not EXACTLY the same but damned if this is the first time skanking has proven useful outside of embarassing myself in public

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Sandwolf posted:

I wanted to! My friend was supposed to get me a ticket but the bitch only got ones for him and his brother.

that night was my birthday, and not only was it the best show i've seen in a while, it was also the night I found out my girlfriend at the time was on heavy medication for psychological issues (e/n thread itt) the hard way.

Dicky is pretty much the nicest guy I've ever met.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

So the other night I saw The English Beat in NH, and who else was on stage singing vocals but Lynval Golding from that other English band. It was awesome.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

In other news I'm pretty stoked to see LTJ Wednesday. I know everybody here hates Suburban Legends, but I love them for what they are. I however do not like how screwed bands touring Boston are going to be.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Actually there was a kid at LTJ/Suburban last night who was trying entirely too hard. Porkpie hat with jewfro poking out, mutton chops, square glasses, a blazer on with patches of every ska band ever sewed on, argyle socks and chucks. Did I mention everything was checkered? We're talking third wave goofy bastard ska kid, mind you, not first wave trying-to-be-mod chic.

I wanted to deck him. Sometimes I'll throw on one or two "ska" items with checkers (belt, boxers, bandanna, etc) but I don't particularly dress up for shows (well, at least the shows that i'm not playing in), and if anything, I wear clothes that are easy to dance and skank in. You'll find the kids with the "perfect" outfits in any scene, though, and its just a sign of them trying too hard, so don't feel bad in the slightest.

edit: Granted this IS the ska thread but THREE SM avatars? hahahaha

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Is there anything Save Ferris like that isn't terrible? I know of Tip the Van, a CT ska band, but they have this gimmick in singing harmonic fourths (I think its fourths?) and that wears thin pretty quickly. Also, old No Doubt works, but have any other worthwhile 3rd wave bands had female vocalists?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

WaffleZombie posted:

I have yet to convince anyone I know of the awesomeness of Art Brut :(

Not trying to derail, but I really strongly enjoy Dancepunk and Britpop (I guess you could call those two subgenres of indie), and seeing Art Brut, Bloc Party, and !!! in the same week was one of the most fun things I did last summer. Dancing is my favorite part of shows (ska and beyond!) and while I detest the "arms crossed staring blankly at the band" indie scene I love dance bands.

In other news, I'm stoked to see Big D and Less Than Jake on Friday. It'll be the third time I've seen them this tour!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Man the Aquabats need to go on tour soon!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Backno posted:

For most of those song the guitar line are going to be pretty boring won't they.
Anyway I still think it's freaking sweet.

I have a friend who can do all those ridiculous metal songs with those messes of notes but he can't get a handle on offbeats. Its slightly funny.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

What ever happened to Monty Are I?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm driving down from Boston to see the Starland show. It helps tremendously that I have friends in Brunswick to crash with (not that a 3 hour drive is painful in the least)

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I make that drive on a regular basis, so its nothing. Now driving down to ska weekend that would be arduous. I'm down in NYC/NJ at least one or two weekends a month

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I found a good way to measure my showers in the morning. I put on the live version of "Suburban Rhythm" while I'm in there. If I'm showering past the rap part I'm taking too drat long.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I just noticed this on the Catch 22 wikipedia entry

"Several bands who opened for Catch 22 in the past have gone on to find fame on the mainstream, including Sum 41, Bowling for Soup, and Taking Back Sunday and AFI."

I wasn't into them back then, but really? I feel like TBS and Catch 22 must've been one of the most awkward shows ever.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

What's everybody's position on being "that guy" at shows that wears the band that's playing's shirt?

At Streetlight last time I wore a Catch 22 shirt, but that was me being an rear end in a top hat. I do that a lot actually. I wore No Doubt to RBF and Blink 182 to Aquabats. I'm kind of lame and most of the time I don't wear anything in particular, but I find people who wear the concert shirt like THAT MINUTE universally lame. Quadrupley so if its some 14 year old girl who probably only knows like four songs.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm stoked Tip the Van is on the tour. I'm not their biggest fan, but they totally deserve to get more fans.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

for some reason unbeknownst to me, I've never been able to get into Mustard Plug. I feel like I should like them, but they don't click. Kind of like Radiohead for me.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Sweet. Got tickets to two Hometown Throwdown shows, not to mention the new year's show (which is also my 21st birthday)

AWESOME.

Anybody going to Skalloween or Skanksgiving?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm wicked excited for my band's singer's other band. He goes to school in Tennesee and has a ska band down there as well as up here an apparently they're opening for the Toasters in Nashville.

http://www.myspace.com/thenovaray is his other band. I'm stoked. I wish I could be there to see them.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

RockShowLevel27 posted:

How was no one mention the Bosstones releasing a new album soon, and annoucing 4 shows in boston and a new years show in Providence? I'm personally going to the Providence one.

I'm going to Providence. Its my 21st birthday that day too. Its going to be sweet.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Holy crap I saw Westbound Train with Mile 21 last week and it was so flippin awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Paramore? really?