Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Judas Chongo posted:

Whats the general consensus on Leftover Crack and Choking Victim, more so the latter. I really like "No Gods, No Managers" and it is one of my favorite ska records next to Streetlight's "Everything Goes Numb" (I have not heard the new album yet).

Choking Victim's reunion show on 9/11/05 was one of the best shows I've ever been to. By the time they played 500 Channels, you couldn't even stay on your feet for more than 2 or 3 seconds before getting knocked down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Thornes posted:

I'm so glad I went. I sat up in the balcony though because I didn't have the energy to stay on the floor all night. Plus I'm short and I like to be able to see the bands, and I also felt like everyone else was a High School kid. I guess I'm too old for this stuff. It was pretty funny though, from up there I was able to see every single time someone lit up a joint (Which was pretty often).

Good to know I wasn't the only one there who's finished high school (it sure as hell felt like it).

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I saw them over the summer with LTJ and they just about stole the show. I had heard they drag rear end live but I was most pleasantly surprised.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

TLG James posted:

Reel big fish plays more than 30 minutes of music at a show? Cut out the jokes, and that's about it.

Hey now, S.R. by itself goes on for at least forty five minutes.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

TLG James posted:

The version on their live album is only 9:19. They could play this, Beer and where have you been and be out of time.

Their 30 minute set would just add Sell Out and Take On Me. 5 songs in half an hour.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Z.S. Ghost posted:

I am truly amazed they are not way more popular than they are.

It's going to happen at some point. A band that talented that works as hard as they do is going to get noticed. Kalnoky is starting to write songs that are a little more accessable, it could just be a matter of if they want to take it that way.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I've never been to an LTJ show where the crowd was anything but amazing, but I'll admit they've all been in NYC. I wonder if they'll sell out the Roseland like last summer. That was the 2nd biggest show I'd ever been to, after blink-182.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

guppy posted:

I browsed the list in the OP for new-to-me bands, and I have fallen in love with I Voted For Kodos. I was shocked to see Amazon MP3 had a couple of their albums.

Loved these guys. Shame I never got to see them.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

plumpy posted:

So I went to warped tour not expecting a whole lot, seeing as the only bands I was there for were pretty much RBF and Oreskaband. Reel Big Fish was awesome live as always, I think they drew a bigger crowd than anyone else there. Oreskaband really surprised me. I had never seen them live before, but they were really great. Lots of synchronized horn dancing a la Suburban Legends. I also scored a sweet hat that I got autographed by all of RBF!

Really though I would tell anyone on the fence about going (A buddy dragged me along) to go despite the other 100 bands that yell and whatever.

I got this signed at the Goldfinger/Less Than Jake show in NYC:

The guys were cool. Chris sort of seamed like he didn't want to be there, but I can't blame him. He has family in New York that he probably doesn't get to see much and its understandable that he'd rather be spending time with them. I told Roger how much I liked the new CD and his response was "Meh. I like it". Interesting.

The show was :rock:, even if they didn't play the new songs I wanted to hear (City of Gainesville/State of Florida, Handshake Meet Pokerface, Space They Can't Touch, Devil in my DNA). I may have lost my wallet and sprained my ankle, but it was worth it.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 4, 2008

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
The new Bomb The Music Industry! album is out. Which means you all need to click here and download it because it's loving awesome.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I think 25 might be my new favorite BTMI! song. Get outta my way!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

hedgecore posted:

Anyone attending Bomb/Laura/Franz/Censors tomorrow in Brooklyn?

I tried but Hopstop gave me bad directions and I spent an hour wandering around Williamsburg looking for Metropolitan Ave before I just gave up and went home.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

hedgecore posted:

I found another old gem to share. I don't think many people know this exists.

Sorry it's not broken up into individual MP3's...

http://snevesneve.com/jaytea/thepascalparty/The%20Pascal%20Party.mp3

This is amazing.

Mollymauk posted:

BTMI is redoing their Weezer show with the blue album at SUNY Purchase's Culture Shock, so if you missed it the first time around you should start bribing some college kids.

I'm an alumni and I haven't been back up for a few years so I'm gonna go to this, and the show in Brooklyn earlier that week.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
It's back up now.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

lessthankyle posted:

Shirt design for Vacation preorder: http://goo.gl/7r3qD

As if you needed another awesome reason.

I have no extra cash 'cause I bought a gift for a friend today, but next Friday I'm ordering this record, even though I don't even have a record player.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Thornes posted:

I hear Jeff got engaged. Does this mean his songs will be happy and optimistic about the future?

And I was going to ask him to gay marry me at the Vacation listening party.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I narrowly avoided hitting on Laura Stevenson after the show (twice!). It's probably for the best.

Great show though.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Vacation is awesome, at least what I could hear. I got there early enough to stake out the seat right in front of him at the bar and he is totally rad.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
How am I not receiving it the same day as everyone else? How long does it take to ship from brooklyn to manhattan?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Rabin_Crabmink posted:

this was awesome last night. Also, laura stevenson playing only tom petty songs was the greatest.

Laura played? I was gonna go but I fell asleep :(

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 28, 2011

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Pay Attention is my favorite.

I guess Ska-core might be a good place to start though.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I have a crush on Laura Stevenson.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
RBF have only written one good song since Cheer Up, but they're still great live. Streetlight are even better. Less Than Jake are 2nd best. BTMI! are the best.

This is the order of ska.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Living in Brooklyn is the best.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

hedgecore posted:

I'm going to all 3 ASOB shows for sure. This is still on my wall. I remember skipping prom to play.

Your flier reminded me how sad I am about never getting to see IV4K live. My New Obsession is one of my favorite records.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
That means it's set for release early 2014.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Beowulf posted:

Suicide Machines are so so so awesome...this makes me even more pissed I missed them last year opening for a mediocre Descendents performance :(

I missed that show too. My friend who was there said the Suicide Machines sucked. How wrong he is.

But nevermind that, ASOB reunion show tomorrow night!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Gabbleduck posted:

You guys better do trip reports.

Dick.

Best. Show. Ever. It's not even close. And I got there halfway through Laura Stevenson's set.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

guppy posted:

My local joint (Baltimore) has just announced Skalloween, with the Toasters headlining. :hellyeah:

My school had a Skalloween show one year, probably either 2005 or 2006, with the Pietasters, the Toasters, and Big D. It was awesome.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 24, 2012

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

lessthankyle posted:

I've been going to a new bar after improv in Chelsea, and I ended up staying til close last night. After most of the patrons left I noticed they were playing some Specials and Slackers and apparently the manager always plays some ska Pandora stations late at night. On the way out I stopped to comment on his taste:

Me: "Great music, man, you don't hear ska in bars very often."
Him: "Yeah. A few friends of mine were in a small ska band a while back and turned me onto it. I think they're doing a reunion show sometime soon."
Me: "What band?"
Him: "Edna's Goldfish."
:aaaaa:

What bar is that? I work in Chelsea and this place sounds like my new haunt.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
What ever happened to Catch 22? Permanent Revolution came out 6 years ago. They're just playing sporadic shows here and there. They need to get back in the studio.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I really like Dinosaur Sounds. Not as much as Keasbey Nights or Permanent Revolution, but more than Alone In A Crowd (which, if you ask me, is a few really really good songs and a lot of filler) and Washed Up And Through The Ringer, which I think we can all agree shouldn't exist at all. Wine Stained Lips has one of my all-time favorite guitar solos.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Ok I've seen them live twice now, and BTMI! needs to have their instrument privileges revoked. So bad.

If you don't like it, get up on stage and show them how its done.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

This is sad. Really sad. These guys are so far and away my favorite band that nothing even comes close. Praying they'll still make records and play occasional local shows.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
At my first BTMI show they were playing this real DIY type practice space, not even a real venue. I went up to Jeff while they were setting up and asked if they could play King of Minneapolis Parts 3 & 4.

You don't usually get to go up to the Bosstones or Reel Big Fish and ask them to play your favorite song.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I gave up on RBF after Cheer Up, and I don't regret it at all. They still put on a hell of a live show, though, even if I don't know some of the songs.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 9, 2012

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Hooray, I have a new Aquabats inspired username. Nobody outside this thread will understand.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
The last time I saw Streetlight they played my old school's spring festival and got thrown off stage by campus police after 4 songs.

Holy poo poo, that was 3 and a half years ago.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone else head to the BTMI! shows in Los Angeles and Pomona? They were tons of fun, some of the best shows I've been to - gently caress the haters who said their shows weren't a loving blast.

Talked to Jeff after the show, and asked him if the break from touring also meant they were going to stop making new music. He said, "We don't really know yet. We're just going to take a break for a while, and see how we feel after that." So it looks like 80s-50s might be the last BTMI song.

He said they were making a hardcore record in September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Have to get the one that comes with both the Streetlight and Toh Kay versions. Only $5 more.