Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Does anyone else in the thread share my love for I Voted For Kodos's album My New Obsession? Wikipedia says it "effectively alienated them from their entire fanbase, quickly leading to the band's demise", but I've always considered it one of the best 3rd wave albums out there.

You're My Favorite is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
When I saw 82 new replies to this thread, I knew one of two things happened. Either Streetlight leaked, or Jeff Rosenstock died. Glad I was not disappointed.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Shabadu posted:

qiyd, bummed I missed him on Andrew Jackson Jihad's tour last fall.

I've been whistling With any Sort of Certainty all day and it has seriously had me in an amazing mood.

I also missed him on that tour because of a loving hurricane. Luckily a few months later he played a (short) solo set in some guy's kitchen in Brooklyn. Too bad he doesn't write ska songs anymore.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I guess I'm not as in love with the album as everyone else in the thread. I wasn't crazy about the direction they went in with Somewhere In The Between, and the new record continues down that path. It seems they keep moving away from ska-punk, and the latin and jazz influences are coming more into the forefront. To me it sounds a lot more free-form than Everything Goes Numb or Keasbey Nights, and I guess I like my music a bit more structured. Ungrateful is a loving great song though.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Action Tortoise posted:

I just came back from Sunfest and saw Less than Jake and Reel Big Fish perform back-to-back. I was so happy to hear "The Science of Selling Yourself Short" and "Beer" live.

About 5 or 6 years ago they toured together. Opening acts: Against All Authority and Streetlight. One of the best shows I've ever been to.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Anybody get Boston Rx Bandits tickets? I'm afraid to wait till tomorrow to buy them at the box office, but a $6.50 service charge per ticket is loving stupid.

$9 service charge for the show in NY. I'm stupid and spent all my spending money on a hockey jersey and won't be able to buy my ticket until next week when it'll be sold out. Hooray!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
First Jeff Rosenstock summer mp3 released, check your email if you bought the record. It's a cover, it's good, it's not ska.

Speaking of the record, anyone receive theirs yet? I did not, and it probably shouldn't take them long to ship from Brooklyn to Brooklyn, so I'm guessing no one else did either.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I've also busted two pairs of glasses, one during Choking Victim (most intense pit ever) back in 2005, and the other last fall during BTMI!. Don't wear your glasses in the loving pit.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
My only bad Streetlight experience was the time they played my school's festival and campus police tried to cut their set short after about 3 songs. They refused to stop playing until their sound was cut. At least they got through Mephisto's Cafe.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
What were the songs from the vinyl? I don't think I've heard them.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Mine is missing the Suicide Machines when they opened for the Descendents about 2 years ago. That must have been an amazing show.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Bah, doesn't even say who's opening.

Not that I live in Boston to begin with.

Nor am I much of a Bosstone fan, outside of Pay Attention.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I like The Impression That I Get and Someday I Suppose. :shrug:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Olibu posted:

Like I Voted For Kodos. Pretty average ska-punk band but I thought their first album and EP had some fun tracks, a couple love ballads to other ska bands, and a slight variation into other genres a few times. Then they said gently caress it and went synth-pop faster and much less graciously than The Hippos or The Aquabats did.

I couldn't disagree more. I think their first album is kinda boring, the EP is quite good, and My New Obsession is one of my favorite albums of all time. But pop-punk with synths and keyboards is my favorite genre of music.

I've never listened to the Hippos, are they any good?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

bowmore posted:

Summer Song #5 is out, and it's 7 minutes and 33 seconds! Sounds good so far.

I got my 7" in the mail today. It's on translucent green vinyl. I have no way of listening to it, I just bought it to support my favorite musician and also for the bonus tracks. Maybe I'll give it to my friend who collects records. That's what I did with my Vacation vinyl (I wanted the t-shirt).

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Hat Thoughts posted:

There's really no way to still buy that Summer Club stuff huh? Really bummed I missed on it

To be brutally honest, you're not missing out on too much. His recent solo stuff isn't nearly as good as BTMI! or ASOB.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I've seen Streetlight 3 and a half times before but I have no desire to see their last tour. :(

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I haven't seen it posted here yet, and I guess some people feel like they've been missing out. Jeff Rosenstock said we can share his new songs with anyone we want in his last email, so here they are for anyone who hasn't already heard them.

http://www.quoteunquoterecords.com/jeffrosenstock/

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Back in the winter he played a show in some guy's kitchen in Brooklyn. It was a really short set though, maybe 6-7 songs.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Civil War is loving amazing. gently caress the haters.

And Jeff is wrong about one thing: every song does need to sound like it's exploding.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I just stumbled upon this great BTMI! song that I've never heard before. I guess it's from the Ska Is Dead Vol. 6 split with the Slackers.

We need Others Others Volume 2.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I'm 3 songs into hearing the best of MU330 for the first time. Where have you been all my life?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Don't be a dick and buy a ticket just for a recording that everyone will be able to get anyway. You know this show's gonna sell out, and that's just taking away a ticket from someone who actually could go. I don't want my favorite band's final show to be empty because all the tickets were bought by kids in California.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

bowmore posted:

Thus why someone who actually goes from here should be a cool dude and upload it for us

Don't worry, I will. :)

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

snackcakes posted:

I saw Jeff play in Brooklyn the other day. Just a simple acoustic set but still great.

After the show I went up to him to tell him how awesome he was. He gave me a glow stick started to talk to me about tv shows. As if we were equals! I was so happy.

How come I didn't know about this?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Are these ever going to show up on Stubhub?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
The tickets for the Friday show are also $15, does that mean we'll get a recording of that night as well?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

hito posted:

Any goons gonna be at the I Voted For Kodos reunion show tonight?

Nope, but I'll be ordering the new 7". They have it streaming here. They're playing ska again. Too bad they aren't touring.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I've got 4 download codes for the new I Voted For Kodos record. PM me if you want one.

Edit: All gone.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 10, 2013

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

guppy posted:

Is it available for purchase anywhere as not-vinyl? I don't have or want a turntable, and I know it comes with a download code too, but I'd rather not take a limited pressing away from someone who will use and enjoy it.

I waited almost a week to order mine, and I got #40 out of 500, so I don't think it's going to sell out anytime soon.

For what it's worth, I didn't have a turntable when I ordered the Jeff Rosenstock Summer 7", and that's actually what got me started collecting records. (Though that one did actually sell out and people have offered to buy it off me.) They're neat!

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 10, 2013

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
What is going on with Fat Mike's hair?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Literally The Worst posted:

CM Punk singing in his shower absolutely killed me and is also completely unsurprising.

I just watched again and noticed Bald Vinnie, leader of the Yankee Stadium bleacher creatures.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I mention IV4K a lot in this thread, but does anyone know if there's a way to buy their b-sides compilation If You Can't Make It Big... Just Give Up! in the US? As far as I can tell it was only ever released on UK iTunes. The "label" that released it doesn't even seem to have a website.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Who enjoys ska covers of Christmas-themed blink-182 songs? I do!

http://iv4k.bandcamp.com/album/i-wont-be-home-for-christmas

Edit: They don't mention it anywhere, but if you buy it (pay what you want), the b-side is another cover, Eddie Money's "Take Me Home Tonight".

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 25, 2013

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Is that for both shows? I still haven't been able to get a ticket for the 19th. Never seen AJJ before, was set to see them at a Jeff solo show, but then there was a little hurricane.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

rear end Catchcum posted:

Does anyone need an extra ticket to the last BTMI show? I had a friend drop out.

I just spent $60 on one last night. :(

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Literally The Worst posted:

Really? I only paid fifteen :smug:

gently caress you and your excellent username/post combo.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I'm a big fan of Devil In My DNA. See The Light doesn't really strike my fancy.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

bowmore posted:

Is the recording video or audio?

Audio I guess, but the guys that are doing that documentary were filming both nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
The re-mixed and re-mastered version of BTMI's Adults! is up on Spotify, it sounds amazing. I picked up the red, white & blue vinyl version at the last two shows but don't have a turntable to listen to it with yet.