Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Capitan Dad posted:

I'm seeing them tomorrow at UBC. How do you not like The Locust I think they're pretty cool.

I'm going because I moderately enjoy The Locust, but mainly just to see how ridiculous the show's going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Hydrac7 posted:

Everyone needs to do themselves a favor and listen to the new Celeste. It's incredible.

Jeez dudes, I told you all to listen to it in the last thread but like only one or two guys did.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Hydrac7 posted:

I must not have seen it but I had been rocking Pessimiste(s) for awhile and now I can rock Nihiliste(s).

http://denovali.com/celeste/download.php

in case any of you want it.

Celeste's label posted:

we have started the preorder for the new CELESTE - NIHILISTE(S) CD/LP to gain some money in order to pay for the pressing. But since you probably would not like to preorder a record you haven't listened to before, we have decided to make the full album available for download from our side. we support downloading music, especially as a way of getting to know unknown releases. But of course we are also record lovers, so if you want to be our personal heroes, you can preorder the record and help us releasing it faster. If you just download the mp3-album and like it, but still do not want to buy the record, that's cool for us. Probably you still would like to "donate" a few bucks to support the labels and the band in that case.

Thanks,

Sons of Vesta, Denovali and CELESTE

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

ddonahue99 posted:

Anyone see this?

Now I feel infinitely worse about missing Funeral Diner and LATS last summer. Add them to the list of awesome bands to break up this year.. :cry:

:( God damnit.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

THE LUMMOX posted:

belle epoque is the best french skramz. listen to the a la derive lp.

is amanda woodward still active or is dude just doing aussitot mort now?

Celeste holds that position in my heart.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

ddonahue99 posted:

Best French bands:

-Mihai Edrisch (especially first LP)
-Celeste (especially the new one)
-The Third Memory
-Aussitot Mort (but Amanda Woodward is kind of boring)
-Daitro
-Belle Epoque
-Sed Non Satiata
-Brume Retina

It's hard to put them in order though.

1. Celeste
2. The Third Memory
3. Amanda Woodward (La décadence de la décadence is their best work in my opinion, Collection is a bit boring and I haven't heard the rest)
4. Daïtro
5. Sed Non Satiata
6. Mihai Edrisch
7. Belle époque
8. Gantz

Haven't heard Brume Retina or Aussitôt Mort though.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Girls, Girls, Girls, I Am the Goddamn Devil and ...and the Body Will Die are the best Transistor Transistor songs

I put on their disco on the way to school today and remembered how loving stoked I am for their next record.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

THE LUMMOX posted:

Oh no way dude their best poo poo is the Wolves split. Also the last song on the Light the Fuse and Run split is really awesome i think its called "the sex made sense at the time"

Totally stoked for new poo poo though, haven't heard anything about it in a while.

I didn't say the rest was bad, haha.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

ddonahue99 posted:

Since you mentioned pg.99, might as well throw them out there too.. they have some songs that are City of Caterpillar-ish. Also, do yourself a favor and listen to Portraits of Past early on in your screamo career. Off Minor is another one of my favorites in the genre.

I think the best pg.99 split is actually the one with City of Caterpillar. The two pg.99 songs, especially, are loving awesome. Every time I listen to The List I get pumped up, shame I can't find anything else by Filth.

Also, for A Day in Black and White, the best album is My Heroes Have Always Killed Cowboys.

Jordan, Morgan and Mark from The Blood Brothers have formed a new band with another guy, https://www.myspace.com/pastlivesmusic

Can't wait to see what comes out of it. Jordan had the better voice, in my opinion.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 18, 2007

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Got my paycheck and went shopping today, bought the Coliseum/Young Widows split for about $6 and Elliott Smith's From a Basement on the Hill, both on wax :shobon:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

p0isonxfree posted:

Listening to Pygmy Lush for the first time right now. How the gently caress did I sleep on them for so long? They rule.

The Boys of Swift Creek Reservoir is such a bittersweet-sounding song :shobon:

I've been listening to their album on and off, such a good record.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Mr. DNA posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try to hunt down samples of them. Hopefully the albums that these songs are on are still easily available to buy.

I've seen Minor Threat and Embrace vinyls at my local record shop, so I assume there are CD versions available too. Just visit small-time indie/punk/hardcore record stores, you'll probably find something. You could also ask an employee there to order you copies.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

Embrace on CD

Minor Threat - Discography

Don't discount Amazon for finding this sort of stuff, they've got a surprisingly large collection.

I'd rather buy from a brick-and-mortar record shop than ordering from Amazon, though. I guess I like to be responsible for my own gently caress-ups.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

I don't understand what this means.

If it breaks, it's my fault, not whoever is in charge of shipping. I guess it doesn't matter with CDs, but for vinyl, I always use online ordering as a last resort. Mostly since our local record shop usually will order for me anyway if I ask them to. :)

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Stroke a bit of luck and picked up Attack in Black's Curve of the Earth LP (planned on attending a show and buying it from them, but had other obligations and couldn't attend), and promptly brought it over to my record player friend's house and listened to it. I seriously think it's the most relaxing thing put to wax in a really long time.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

New Pyramids is sick. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna order it.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

rivals posted:

A lot of places take the record/dust sleeve out of the cover but still both inside the poly bag so as to avoid ring wear and seam splits. I think I worded it somewhat poorly before, but this is how I send any records I sell/trade and how most people I buy from send.

One of my Attack in Black LPs has a pretty big seam split too, and the first time I tried taking out the record I almost accidentally ripped it open because I thought it was the sleeve slit. You just have to be careful, usually some type of tape fixes it.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Genghis Tron put up a couple of new tracks on their myspace, I'm really stoked for the new album although it has less grind elements, it has a more doom-y feel to it.

http://www.myspace.com/genghistron

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

d0grent posted:

I'm looking for the name of a band, maybe one of you guys can help me.

They are a screamo band, and they are pretty awful, which is why I want to find this video. Their newest (if not only) video has them all playing in a completely white room, that's it. They have a white lead vocalist and a black scream vocalist. That's about all I can describe them with, hoping the "black screaming vocalist" will help.

Showbread, one of their old videos was them in a while room.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Kevar posted:

Yes, they do. I just checked one of their music videos on youtube to figure out why they we being talked about in here. I really wish I hadn't. Is this what passes for "hardcore" these days? The only way I could see this being hardcore is if you consider watered down Every Time I Die hardcore. Really watered down...

I just mentioned them because I used to listen to them a couple of years ago in high school when I didn't know any better :shobon: Thankfully, NMD taught me taste.

Anyway, haven't seen this posted and I'm super loving stoked for it:

Punknews.org posted:

Transistor Transistor has finished their latest full-length, Ruined Lives. The album, which was three years in the making since 2005's Erase All Name And Likeness, was recorded by Kurt Ballou and mastered by Alan Douches.

You can click Read More to check out Ruined Lives' track listing.

Level Plane will release Ruined Lives in May.

01. Morning Sickness
02. Price of Gas
03. Brass Bones
04. Diet of Worms
05. Pillar of Salt
06. The Ghost Hand
07. Harvest
08. Letter of Resignation
09. Celluloid Rats
10. Irreversable
11. Teratogen

May can't come quick enough :(

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I finally managed to listen to my Young Widows/Coliseum split on my friend's record player and I'm really digging Coliseum (didn't want to spoil my listening experience by checking their myspace :shobon: ). Can anyone recommend me similar-sounding bands?

Also I'm in the market for a decent record player (not paying more than $200 though), can anyone recommend me models/places that sell some?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Just went on a vinyl buying spree! I'm about to order:

Amanda Woodward - La décadence de la décadence LP (green)
A Day in Black and White - My Heroes Have Always Killed Cowboys LP
The Blood Brothers - Crimes LP
Coliseum - s/t LP (white)
Daitro - Laissez vivre les squelettes LP (colour)
Ghastly City Sleep - s/t LP (vanilla)
Halo Perfecto - Hospitals in Other Countries LP
Versoma - Life During Wartime LP (colour)
Yaphet Kotto - Syncopated Synthetic Laments for Love LP
Yaphet Kotto - The Killer was in the Government Blankets LP (green)

I'm really stoked. Ordering everything from SlaveUnion's distro.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

Their Self-Titled 7" is amazing too. I think Syncopated Synthetic Laments for Love is probably my favorite YK album though.

They apparently played a basement show at Tufts a while ago, before I went here :(

I have We Bury Our Dead Alive on CD and would've bought the LP if SU had it in stock. But yeah, SSLfL is my favourite YK album too.

I thought they were broken up though? Oh well, not like I'd ever see them up here in Ottawa, anyway. :sigh:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

The new Genghis Tron album leaked and it's awesome and epic as gently caress. I know they probably don't fit in with this thread perfectly, but I dunno where else to talk about them.

Also, I think I hear Greg Puciato doing guest vocals on The Feast.

Holy gently caress I can't wait till my lunch break. I've been stoked for this since they put out the Triple Black Diamond EP last summer.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I listened to Board Up the House today for the first time (wanted to listen to it uninterrupted so I waited till I got on my 1hr bus commute this morning to do so :3: ) and holy gently caress. There's just no song better than the other, it's all so loving good.

Did they recently acquire a bassist or did someone from the band play bass in the album? It really adds a new layer of sound that I felt was sometimes missing from Dead Mountain Mouth.

Also, Greg Puciato can do no wrong, especially combined with other vocalists. He does an admirable job in Colony Collapse (if it is him), and the part where he sings alongside Dimitri in Fix Your Face off Ire Works just sounds so loving harsh and amazing.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

They didn't have one when they opened for DEP (and they played Board Up The House), so I assume no, no bassist.

Strange, because there's a bunch of songs where I hear a bass playing. The last two songs are the ones I think I can remember specifically, but maybe I'm just crazy :tinfoil:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Big Blue Violence posted:

Who Calls So Loud (ex-Funeral Diner) posted a new song

I really like it, it's definitely just a continuation of Door's Open.

This is like the sequel to I Was the Sword. My load is blown.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

What better way to mourn loved ones than going record shopping? :smith:

Fortunately I found some sweet stuff:

Envy - All the Footprints... LP re-issue
Godspeed You Black Emperor! - f#a#oo LP (original 1997 pressing :c00l: )
Genghis Tron - Board Up the House CD (store had no LP :( )

Oh well. I'm really happy I actually found the GY!BE release. Such a cool packaging too, it was hand-made apparently.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Pantalones! posted:

Where'd you find those?? End hits?!

Yeah, there was one more Envy copy too. Hurry up guy!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I'm attending a punk show with yet-announced bands on 4/20. I was debating whether I should show up or not but they're promising milk and cookies for anyone with bloodshot eyes :3:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

rivals posted:

kirkjames if you go see Baroness and Ghengis Tron over Who Calls So Loud you deserve to die.

For real. I never had the chance to see Funeral Diner (arguably my favourite band ever) so I'd go see WCSL in a heartbeat.

Baroness and GT are amazing too though, I'd hate to have to pass on that bill.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I love ON's official website name.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Xithyl posted:

Hope Conspiracy "Death Knows Your Name".

The first track of that album is just so loving heavy, it's amazing.

Also, I've been listening to Neil Perry's Lineage Situation again after months. I really wish half the songs didn't sound like they were encoded at 30kbps :(

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Cathab posted:

I've listened to all of those bands except for The Flatliners and Dead to Me (whom I will be checking out ASAP).

While they're all awesome bands (Nothington especially), they don't really have the same feel to Banner Pilot (that super-fast, energetic, melodic music with those awesome raspy vocals). Maybe I just have to accept that the reason Banner Pilot are so awesome, is because they're pretty unique in a way.

The worst part about all these amazing bands like the ones you listed is that they all seem to be JUST small enough to never really make it over to Australia to tour. Oh well!

Thanks for the recommendations man.

While I haven't heard BP and you seem to know HWM, their earlier albums seem right up your alley.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Dave Verellen is doing vox again :unsmith::respek::shobon:

http://deathwishinc.com/files/narrows.lifevestsfloatkidsdont.mp3

His new band Narrows just signed to Deathwish, and the new song sounds loving awesome. I can't wait for their album.

Also, payday! Just bought:

Envy - Compiled Fragments 1997-2003 2xLP
Envy - Abyssal EP LP
Envy - Transfovista DVD

I was originally going to buy just the two LPs but then the clerk said, "Hey, you seen this yet?" and threw the DVD on the counter and I couldn't resist despite my wallet biting my hand :smithicide:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Capitan Dad posted:

Okay I was wondering: This thread's tag automatically makes you go "because of TV Party" right. I had assumed this for a long time was wondering if everyone was on the same page.

I don't know, but it makes it easier to spot the thread.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Someone recommend me some rear end-kicking metallic hardcore :black101: like Shipwreck A.D. and I will forever love you.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Sweet, thanks for all the recommendations. So far I'm really enjoying Integrity (especially), Reign Supreme, Living Hell, Rise and Fall and Pulling Teeth.

Seriously though, Deathwish is like my label of the moment.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I don't know what to think of the new Cancer Bats record. gently caress if I don't love that band to death (hands-down most energetic and amazing live show I've been to), but the new vocal style and the guest vocalists aren't my favourite. I gotta admit the riffs are still rear end-kicking good, though.

There was just something loving awesome about the yelled vocals. I actually had to listen for a while to make sure it wasn't some wannabe band trying to pass off as them, but then I recognized Liam's voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

skull pressure posted:

You need to be listening to Ceremony if you aren't already.

I am/was. :shobon: