Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

THE LUMMOX posted:

I saw SYG with daggermouth and no trigger and both bands blew away SYG. It was so anticlimactic when they went on, lots of people left.

Im debating about seeing locust/despised icon at the skatepark. On the one hand, despised icon sucks, and on the other hand, the locust sucks too but this kind of act never comes to edmonton so I figure I might as well see it.

I'm seeing them tomorrow at UBC. How do you not like The Locust I think they're pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

ddonahue99 posted:

Anyone see this?

Now I feel infinitely worse about missing Funeral Diner and LATS last summer. Add them to the list of awesome bands to break up this year.. :cry:

Noooooo are you serious? 2007 is the emo graveyard.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

I don't know if CRIME As Forgiven By Against Me! is folk punk at all really but it's on Plan-It-X and kicks rear end.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Yeah, that album rules but I wouldn't consider it folk punk at all.

Why do people consider Against Me! folk punk

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Wheeeee, the conversation has swung back to emo.

So not only is Tigersuit probably one of the best songs ever written, I'm going to make my own tiger suit, as soon as I can find an orange hoodie.

e: I've become obsessed with that song over the last couple of days srsly.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

LordBukkake posted:

Say myself and two frequent SA lurkers ran a streaming punk radio website? Would it be kosher with the mods if I made mention of it here? I'm not sure if they count that as illegal file sharing, or if advertising my website on the forums like that is cool.

I think you'd be okay in telling us

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Hydrac7 posted:

It'd be awesome if I could play Madden 08 to Shikari. The music on the game is so terrible and Enter Shikari sucks hard.

I was getting confused, I knew there was something good about the word Shikari.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Best Friend posted:

What thread should it be in?

Dunno this is the hardcore punk thread bro.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Rollin Thunder posted:

Not to break up the impending genre war or anything, but I'm looking for some quick punk rock recommendations. I'm into a fair share of hardcore and heavier stuff, but on the lighter side I've been listening to Strung Out, Dillinger Four and the Lawrence Arms. What similar bands I should check out?

Get the Fest 7 Compilation it has like 25 punk bands.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

p0isonxfree posted:

I rediscovered On The Might Of Princes this morning, and now they and I Hate Myself are pretty much the only bands I have listened to today.

Nice, that band has beast singing. I'm addicted to the Ampere/Funeral diner split. Easily my favourite "album" right now not bad for like 2 1/2 songs.

Oh and sorry guys I guess say goodbye to Slippy someone got me an early Christmas gift.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

p0isonxfree posted:

Yeah, I preordered this a week or so ago. It's going to be so good!

That split is super short but every second of it is so loving good. Not relevant to this thread at all, but I also can't stop listening to the Owen/The City On Film split. It's ridiculously good.

Owen is kind of parallel to this thread, it does have Kinsellas.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

All or most European emo sounds sort of like that too. City of Caterpillar, CTTS, A DAy In Black And White, Portraits of Past and Funeral Diner are pretty much the only American bands that do that sound and it turns out really sick.

And if you want to go the other way from Cap'n Jazz, Die Hoffnung, Saetia and Hot Cross sound sort of like that too, in a different way. And if you like Saetia you can get into Off Minor and keep going and going and going. Use Last.fm.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

So Dangers and Gorlox are coming to Vancouver Jan 8th, Lummox you coming?

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

THE LUMMOX posted:

Naw brah I'm still finishing my degree at UofA :(. I start at UBC september '09 so thats when I'll be living out there full time!

e: I will be visiting friends in Vancouver again this summer though, so if there's any good shows on while I'm there I'll be checking those out.

Okay man well I'll keep an eye out.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

ddonahue99 posted:

Since you mentioned pg.99, might as well throw them out there too.. they have some songs that are City of Caterpillar-ish. Also, do yourself a favor and listen to Portraits of Past early on in your screamo career. Off Minor is another one of my favorites in the genre.

I agree, in particular the song Goin' South is pretty CoC I think it's one of my favourites by them.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Sounds Like Violence: surprisingly an awesome band. Kind of like Sinaloa crossed with Against Me! but from Sweden if anyone wants to check it out, they seem to be pretty big actually (they have music videos and stuff).

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

RunTo TheHills posted:

God, i love her voice. I really hope she shows up in another band someday.

Also, though I've had Voice for years, i just picked up the Amanda Woodward split earlier this year. To the best of my knowledge, that's all they've ever recorded right? Or am i missing any demos or tapes or anything?

I've only ever heard the song from the AW split and I hated it am I missing something.

Wait I'm going to put it on.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Yeah so Daitro has a new song.

http://www.daitro.com/sounds/de_l_eau.mp3

Split with Sed Non Satiata incoming that should be cool, and repressings of Laisser.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

p0isonxfree posted:

Too bad you can only get the repress from Pure Pain Sugar and it's loving 15 euros. I really want to order that and the Daitro/Raein split but that's a lot of money to drop on those.

That's what like 20 bucks each, and they're both 10" right. Yeah maybe if you were getting an extra couple of inches there, still not too bad though. Do you get slayed with shipping? I don't buy a lot of records I guess.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

p0isonxfree posted:

For the two recs together it's 30 euros ppd, which is around $45. The Daitro LP is 12", the split is 10". I just got ahold of an earlier press of the Daitro LP for a pretty good price so I'm excited to be getting that.

That is a little steep but would be the standard price of two imported CDs I guess.

Whatever I'm still on the fence about it.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Wizard Mannequin posted:

anyone that doesnt think black flag is hardcore should be purged from this planet

hardcore has become different from hardcore punk and I don't like it.

I just refer to all the music I like as hardcore or punk or skramz or whatever I don't get too picky about it.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

THE LUMMOX posted:

Theres a Sinaloa/Daniel Striped Tiger split 7" coming out this spring. Hellll yes!

Word that is really exciting.

And did I say I heard the Sed Non Satiata/Daitro split? It's loving terrific.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

The guys from the metal thread said I should talk to you guys.

I'm going to see The Dillinger Escape Plan/Poison the Well in March. Not really having listened to that much music from both bands, which records by them would you recommend to start with?

Calculating Infinity is my favourite Dillinger Escape Plan I guess.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Agent Bob posted:

Uh, I didn't realize Off Minor was around for that long, or was that popular.

I saw them play, and I know two of the guys (well, not personally, they are in Yo Man, Go!).

I feel like an idiot.

What without appreciating.

They are pretty much the best band. The best band.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

I like where I live American bands skip it and Japanese bands skip it and it's on the West Coast.

Pacific though, the best ocean.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

MattWPBS posted:

Annoying thing in the UK is when bands don't make it over the channel due to the cost/work permits/border checks/etc. Especially with South American bands - only found out I Shot Cyrus were in Europe about three days before they were playing Holland/Belgium and couldn't get over there.

I'd trade you there's a lot of bands I like in Europe.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Well either way... Showbread sucks.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

You guys want a free record from my friends?

Here you go.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1140420

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Has anyone gotten their Envy pack yet? Anyone know if they've even shipped.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

acup posted:

Finally got my Envy preorder in today from Temporary Residence. Also got both colors of Haram's Drescher in from Lovitt today.

Still haven't gotten that.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Album of the year is Daitro and Sed Non Satiata.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

THE LUMMOX posted:

woop woop!

"For a while now we have been working in solitude on a new band, and now we are ready to go out into the world. Mark McCoy, Matt Wilga, Andrew Jackmauh, and Will Killingsworth are FAILURES. The sound? Born from a mutual love of classic 80's hardcore, but no rehash or retro bullshit. In the works for upcoming release is a 14 song release on Youth Attack and Clean Plate records, realistically out April/May. At some point there will be an MP3."

I'm a bit gay for Will Killingsworth I can't think of a better way to die than for him to play at you.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Sigh, come to Vancouver, Gorlock did you aren't going to be shown up by them are you.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

I can guarantee 50 18 and unders will be there, including myself :(.

No joke though I'm convinced you would get a good turnout there is a really decent punk scene here.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

THE LUMMOX posted:

There's still no dates yet for LaQ/Phoenix Bodies but there's going to be a stop in Seattle. I am driving from Edmonton for this.

Ill be going through Calgary and then Vancouver so anyone who wants to hop on the fun train is invited.

For sure, if the show is all ages.

No way I'm going to be 21 by then.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Seth Babb is in Takaru right? He's awesome but I don't like that band that much. Since they broke up my Funeral Diner appreciation has been doubling every day.

July 2007 never forget.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

That blows they were quite good. Lucky to have seen them.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Soooo Raein is playing a show in Italy on May 25 with Off Minor and Daitro and there seems to be some speculation about a Raein reunion tour. Anyone know anything more about it? This is goddamn sick.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Cowboy Kyle posted:

Unwritten Law

"lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

Cowboy Kyle posted:

Well if you got better suggestions, i'll listen to anything. I like all the genres that this thread is suppose to represent. :colbert: I'm just not good at finding good music.

[edit]
Bands i've recently checked out that I like:
Tiger Army
Disfear
Paint it Black
Catch 22
Terveet Kadet
Conflict
Citizen Fish
Leftover Crack

Some of those were mentioned in the last few pages of this thread, others I found on my own.
I'm sorry. Usually "emo" is Indian Summer and everything else that rips that off I guess.

So check out Indian Summer they are loving fantastic.