Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

Fang Island + Doomriders + Red Sparowes at the Mid East on Thursday. An old friend is in Fang Island and this is gonna be the first time I've seen him in years too, so that'll be cool.

Man, I wish I could go to that, but I'm broke as poo poo. Doomriders absolutely destroyed when I saw them at Great Scott in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

Nah, don't worry about it, they're definitely somewhere in the punk/hardcore genre. I'm not sure what parts of them you like, but try out some of this:

The Fall Of Troy (I've never liked them, but a lot of people who like ATD-I like these guys)
Drive Like Jehu (Basically classic stuff)
Antigua y Barbuda (Vocalist even sounds somewhat like Cedric from ATD-I, and they're a bit chuggier)
Armchairpolitician (Their full-length is pretty long but worth it)
Haram (Just because I've always liked all of those CoC/pg.99 side projects)
Risk Revival by Hot Cross (Their worst album IMO, but probably the easiest to digest if you're not used to the genre)
Million Dead (Brits)
Sparta (The dude who does some backing vocals and rhythm guitar from ATD-I is in this, try Porcelain)

This is just off the top of my head, since I'm not at home, and I don't really listen to any of these groups anymore except for Hot Cross, Drive Like Jehu, Armchairpolitician occasionally, but hopefully some of it works out for you.

I'll second Drive Like Jehu and Million Dead, plus throw in a suggestion for BearVsShark. Terrorhawk is a pretty amazing album falling into that early-2000s post-hardcore set.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Angrybarrel posted:

Anyone want to throw me some punk bands with a female singer that aren't x, soviettes, joan jett, tat, or distillers

I've been huge into Glasses lately. They've only put out one two song ep and 3 songs on a split with Comadre, but all five songs are loving incredible and you can find them all for free (legally) online.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

punxnbutter posted:

I still love the Profits (they split male/female vocals)

Ooh, that reminds me, Kill The Man Who Questions was an awesome crusty hardcore band that did this.

Also, I'm still a really big fan of Pretty Girls Make Graves early stuff. From "Good Health" onwards they got more "indie-ish" with the synths and everything, but their self titled 4-song EP is an excellent little slice of angular art-punk.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

Can we fight about their best album again? I still say "Syncopated Synthetic Laments for Love" even if it's just for "Circumstantial Evidence."

I'd go with that one too if only for "Reserved for Speaker." They're all good, though.

Edit: Wait, that song was on "The Killer Was In the Government Blankets". I change my vote.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 23, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

We Bury Our Dead Alive is sweet, except that in the middle of Chime The Day they start playing the intro to War Pigs by Black Sabbath for some reason and it takes me out of the album every time.

Seriously, listen to that song right now. It's hilarious.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

rivals posted:

According to Robotic Empire, Pg99 is reuniting for Best Friends Day this year to play Doc 8 in its entirety.

Holy loving poo poo. Where/when is Best Friend's Day?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

I saw that tour in Boston, before I really gave a poo poo about Touche Amore. They put on a really good show, and this new album from then is really amazing, so I'll be more excited to see them next time they come through town for sure.

(gently caress going to the Palladium to see them on their current tour.)

I was at that show too. Really, I have a hard time getting into Touche Amore's records. None of them have really grabbed me. However, I've seen 'em live twice now and both times they absolutely destroyed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

Every couple of months I through Planes Mistaken for Stars albums and I am constantly amazed at how solid they are. RIP.

Yeah, they just got better too. I really think Mercy might be their best record.

Glad I got to see 'em live on their final tour.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

New Cave In might be album of the year. At the very least, "Iron Decibels" is the Danzig impression of the year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been to the upstairs in a while. I went to the downstairs to see Converge, Dropdead, Trap Them, and All Pigs Must Die a month ago, it was pretty intense. It was all ages, which is kinda rare for the mideast, and I thought I had heard that Converge was banned from there (at the very least, I think it was their first time there since No Heroes came out in 2005). I got searched pretty thoroughly, had my bike tool taken away from me, and got X'd up for my expired ID.

And speaking of the middle east upstairs, Bomb the Music Industry! on tuesday? Hell yes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

I saw TAAS there twice (along with others) and they were 2 of the best shows I've ever been to. I just love tiny venues though.

That's ill, I never got to see them. I did, however, go to the Middle East Upstairs to see Planes Mistaken For Stars' last Boston show, which was one of the best shows I've ever been to.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Off topic, but man, are all of The Hope Conspiracy's albums as awesome as Death Knows Your Name? Somehow I've managed to go years without ever actually listening to them despite being a hardcore fan that grew up in and around Boston. I finally gave 'em a listen after really getting into the All Pigs Must Die EP and... goddamn.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Pardon my ignorance to the thread, but would this be the place to discuss Terror, Trapped Under Ice, Stick To Your Guns etc? I know it says hardcore in the title, but skimming through, I just see punk music.

Trapped Under Ice are an okay band I guess.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

On the topic of Jawbreaker, I'm finally starting to get into them (Bivouac is great), but I still say the first two Jets to Brazil albums are better than anything they ever did.

*ducks*

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I really can't stand anything by hosed Up except Epics in Minutes, and even that album's just 'pretty good.' I feel very alone in this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LtTennisBall posted:

I heard it was a bit overlong though. Granted I haven't listened to it (and I really want to), but isn't it like 90 minutes long?

I haven't listened to David Comes to Life, but this is exactly the problem I had with Hidden Worlds. I couldn't make it more than five songs in before I had to turn it off, it was so bloated.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bomb the Music Industry rules hard but I don't like any of the other bands on that bill.

Is going to night one, staying til 12:10, and booking it to the second show an option? Seeing Dillinger Four and Smoke or Fire in one day would be tits.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Angiepants posted:

Fest schedules are listed in backwards chronological order, BTMI is closing the second show.

Yes they are? I don't see how that's conflicting with what I said. Go to the first show until midnight and then book it to see BTMI close the second show.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Starlab is, indeed, in Somerville. Never been there but it's like ten minutes walking distance from my house.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Quantumfate posted:

Sorry, but no. I think pretty much everything that comes after static prevails was horrible. The first self titled was great :colbert:

Clarity's pretty good, albeit probably the pussiest album that I'll admit to enjoying.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

Eh. I mean, I like Thursday, but the past two albums have been decidedly middling.

I'm actually gonna be that guy and argue for Common Existence as their most consistent album. But yeah, the last record wasn't that great.

I really liked the second United Nations record, so more of that would be cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glasses are pretty sweet, pretty sure I found out about 'em on these here forums.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Not really sure if this belongs here or the metal thread, but I don't hang out in the metal thread. Anyway, I saw Cave In a few days ago and they tore poo poo up. They've gotten back to the heavier first-two-albums sound, but they threw in a couple of slower tunes too (wasn't expecting to hear Reanimation off the new album). Nothing off Jupiter though, which was disappointing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've been listening to the second There Were Wires album a lot lately, they did the whole screamo-meets-post-rock/long instrumental breaks thing on that record pretty well.

Edit: closest thing I can find to a youtube vid off that album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgVrl5p6uq0

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 6, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

heeebrew posted:

If I like Municipal Waste and What Happens Next? what else would I like?

I'm not really into Municipal Waste, but they've toured with Ramming Speed a bunch of times and those guys are the tits.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

omg car crash posted:

Pulling Teeth is breaking up.

This is unfortunate, but I don't know where they could've gone after Funerary anyway (although in terms of stuff that came out this year, I thought the one original song from their split with Irons was better than anything off that album). They really pushed their sound to the limit. Seems like an appropriate time to break up.

I wish I got to see 'em live again, though. I was lucky enough to see them with Trash Talk, 108 and Converge at an Elk's Lodge like 3 years ago. poo poo was badass.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

heeebrew posted:

Downpour is a dope band!

Is this the same Downpour that went on to form The Power and The Glory? Because The Power and The Glory were definitely dope.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Where are Ceremony playing in Boston? I can't find any info.

Edit: nevermind, I found out. I've never been to the Democracy Center before, I really need to go at some point.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 13, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Weaponized Cum posted:

The new Narrows is so loving heavy, Jesus.

Yeah, it rules. Really looking forward to seeing them with All Pigs Must Die next weekend.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Angiepants posted:

New Sidekicks is really really really good.

I saw these guys last night having never heard them before, they were indeed really good. I got their split with Tiger's Jaw and it owns and includes a really boss Elvis Costello cover.

They opened for Cheap Girls, who were also awesome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LtTennisBall posted:

When did that show end up ending? I wanted to go but with Cheap Girls going on at 12:00 I didn't feel like risking not having the T to take back home, and gently caress paying for a cab.

Well despite the fact that the website said Cheap Girls didn't go on 'til twelve, their set was actually over by 11:45.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

On the one hand, using homophobic slurs is (obviously) wrong and the guy from Dropkick Murphys is (obviously) a douchebag. On the other hand, "I refuse to listen to a band anymore because they said something I don't like" has always struck me as a kind of stupid and shortsighted approach to art.

But, y'know, it's Dropkick Murphys, so who gives a poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

heeebrew posted:

It's more like "I refuse to contribute in any way to someone who uses homophobic or racist (any kind of hate speech, really) words." That means not listening to them, not buying their music or seeing them live or wearing merch sporting their names. I demand that discrimination due to factors outside of someone's control be eliminated from society. I don't care if you discriminate because of facial hair though, go ahead and be my guest, I'll still listen to your band.

That's fair, and I'm not gonna tell you not to do that. It's just always seemed reactionary to me, though.

Like, I really like Elvis Costello. Recently, I read this on Wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

During the American concert tour for Armed Forces in April 1979, Costello engaged in a drunken argument with Stephen Stills and Bonnie Bramlett in a Columbus, Ohio, Holiday Inn hotel bar, during which Costello referred to James Brown as a "jive-arsed friend of the family," then upped the ante by pronouncing Ray Charles a "blind, ignorant friend of the family."

Now, obviously, since I'm a rational human being, I think that Elvis Costello did a major-league rear end in a top hat thing right there. But am I going to toss out my copy of "Trust"? Hell no, that would be childish, it's a great record, and the fact that Costello just might be a racist rear end in a top hat doesn't affect that. I mean, I'd like it if every artist whose work I appreciated was also a decent person, but that's not the case. John Landis is a child murderer, but that doesn't make me like An American Werewolf in London any less.

This is kinda off-topic, I guess, though.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 29, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rape is most definitely inexcusable, but I hope if you refuse to listen to music by that band you've also never watched a Roman Polanski movie or, I dunno, listened to a Phil Spector record (murder's pretty inexcusable too).

Edit: sorry, I get really opinionated about this poo poo, so I promise this is the last thing I'll say on the subject: Basically to sum it up, if I were to rule out art by artists that I view as racist/homophobic/sexist/otherwise immoral, I'd have to rule out Elvis Costello, Roman Polanski, Phil Spector, Bad Brains, Wu Tang, Woody Allen, Ernest Hemingway and many more. I could either (a) dogmatically deny myself great art, or (b) acknowledge that great artists are often very flawed people and judge the work on its own merits. I choose (b), but I understand how some people choose (a).

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 30, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

NeilPerry posted:

Oh definitely, but you don't really lose anything if you don't listen to one random punk band. So I don't really think the comparison to Woody Allen and Ernest Hemingway is particularly relevant or apt.

Well now you're just admitting that you only apply your morals when it's convenient for you to do so. Besides, "some random punk band" could be Bad Brains. Huuuuuge homophobes, but both a great band and an important one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dickeye posted:

edit: One song is 9:25. The other is under thirty seconds. Owns.

Is side B just blank? Because otherwise, how the hell does this even work on a 12" record?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but I really got into punk rock as a teenager and then when I was 19 moved to a place without a scene and fell out of it (this being before ubiquitous broadband and I didn't have the ability to drive an hour there and back to go to shows). As such, I kind of fell out of the scene about 2003 and I've no idea what's current, and I recently realized I've not picked up any new punk rock since like 2004 or 2005. So... what's going on in punk rock right now?

The new Drug Church 7" is what's going on.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah that one's pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dickeye posted:

Also the latest hosed Up album, the last two BtMI releases before Vacation, and then whatever everyone else says.

I actually like Adults!!! a lot more than Vacation. I mean, I think most of Vacation is pretty great, but I put it on at work the other night and really you could cut tracks 9-12 and I wouldn't mind one bit.

I don't really like hosed Up either.