Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Dickeye posted:

The Queers will be awesome at least. Joe will get on stage, looking ugly as poo poo, play 20 songs in 12 minutes, and leave.

Best show I've ever been to.

The Queers always put on a good show! I saw them with Bomb the Music Industry! and some other Asian Man artists a few years back, and they were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Dickeye posted:

As a dude who spent an hour running around his store last night/this morning listening to BtMI! and singing/shouting along this sounds like the greatest show.

Or would be if Scrambles was out. I'm not a huge fan of his other stuff. Get Warmer is OK but I don't care for the stuff before that

Yeah, I can safely say that BTMI! is my favorite band. Have you heard Jeff Rosenstock's new side prioject, Kudrow? It's pretty neat stuff!

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

It's pretty awesome, especially if you like some of Bomb's newer stuff.

Also, if you haven't downloaded BTMI's first album or their new EP, I suggest you do so.

I actually just made this post the other day regarding their stuff: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3285053

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

RunTo TheHills posted:

Everyone but AJJ? You should give them another listen dude, you're missing out on a crucial band.

I don't know, I'm not sure AJJ qualifies as a 'crucial band'. It's definitely something that took me while to get into.

However, if you're only basing their stuff on how it sounds live, you should probably take time to listen to at least listen to People who Eat People...

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

RunTo TheHills posted:

I feel like they've informed a good deal of music in the scene recently, but that may just be me. I'd also say that Can't Maintain might be a better intro, since it's got more electric stuff to draw PUNX in. Dunno, just a thought.

To be honest, I've actually never heard Can't Maintain. Hahaha. When did that one get released?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Sass Dragons rule!
I'll definitely be picking that up.

Also, Wide Angles and New Creases are both great bands that deserve a listen.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Oh my gently caress, everyone should do this: http://asianmanrecords.com/basket/btmi5deal.html

I know all their albums are free to download, but if you're as huge as a BTMI fan as I am, it's nice to have all those records for that price.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

poo poo sounds good!
I'll probably end up going to your Chicago show.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Dickeye posted:

My friend just called me from a Rehasher show. Said Mikey Erg went onstage and played Pray For Rain adn Saturday Night Crap-o-Rama with them. Wish I could've seen that

Mikey Erg is a really nice guy!
I saw him play at Ronny's in Chicago with The Dopamines, and he was wearing a badass Toy Dolls shirt, which I complimented him on. And then he bought me a shot of whiskey.

He told me he pretty much joined that band to play at Windy City Sound Clash, and ended up loving being a part of it :)

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

TheBlackMallard posted:

The new Dopamines album is up for preorder on Paper + Plastick with a download link and it's amazing.

Oh poo poo, it's finally up for preorder?!
Love those guys!

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 30, 2010

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Anyone going to the Teenage Bottlerocket/Reaganomics show tonight at The Subterranean in Chicago?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

quick question, how do filez rules apply concerning digital copies of 70's and 80's bootlegs and live recordings? I happen to have stumbled across/ been informed of a bunch of live recordings and such (about 260 of em) of The Clash, mostly live shows, that are all on megaupload, and would love to share them, provided that its acceptable.

I would LOVE to hear these.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Kevar posted:

I wish it was another Bear vs Shark record, but it's still great.

This.

But then again, I was happy enough to just see the surviving members form something awesome.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

D4 shows are always the most fun. I wish they would come to Chicago again.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Subhumans. gently caress Ben Weasel.

This exactly.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

LtTennisBall posted:

Mikey Erg's new EP (which is stretching it, it's two songs) Valentines Day is streaming here
http://www.the1stfive.com/news/mikey-erg-stream-and-interview
there's also an interview with him, apparently he's starting a new band with Joe Weiner of the Dopamines, which makes me think someone should start up a Mikey Erg Fest. I would totally go to that.

Sounds pretty awesome, which doesn't surprise me since it's Mikey gone solo. But seriously, how many goddamn bands is he in at this point?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Passion for Dilbert posted:

I looked over the last couple pages, and I'm not aware if this is the correct thread to talk about hosed Up in, but is anyone else really pumped for the upcoming hosed Up album??

http://www.davidcomestolife.com/announcement.html

'The Other Shoe' is pretty rad.

Holy poo poo, I totally forgot about this! I don't think anything they do at this point will live up to Hidden World, but the track on there sounds pretty good, in a different way.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Listen to Sass Dragons. Not because it's 90s pop-punk stuff, because it's not, but because Sass Dragons owned and everyone should listen to them.

If there is one thing you should take away from this thread, THIS. The guys put on a mighty fun show, and its a drat shame they're done now.

Here's them playing a couple of my favorite tracks of theirs and the Dopamines rocking out in the front of the crowd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIFrUtCY5GI#t=0m55s

And here's a couple other tracks for good measure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSIxUlvsy4
http://youtu.be/pZbDX2Lg9rY

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

My friend has an extra ticket for the Subhumans(U.K)/MDC show in Chicago tomorrow and she was nice enough to ask me to tag along with her. Time to see some extra-snotty washed-up first-wave anarcho punk rock.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

The new hosed Up is soooooo goooooood.

It only took the first three songs to give me a boner.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

For anyone in Chicago, there are some awesome emo and garage-punk bands playing in Logan Square tomorrow. It will be Joie De Vivre's last show, and if you haven't heard of them or seen them, I HIGHLY recommend going to this show. Not only do they sound amazing, but they are also extremely nice guys.

Here's some more info: http://wearethemovingcastle.tumblr.com/post/5395461869/joie-de-vivres-last-chicago-show

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Sharon is Karen posted:

Then listen to "Mush" by Leatherface, because it's better than all those albums.

This is the best advice.

On another note, are there any Sidekicks fans in here? Am I the only one that didn't know they had a split coming out this month with Tigers Jaw?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

I've been really into melodic hardcore punk with loud, gently caress-all vocals lately, i.e. hosed Up's David Come's to Life or anything by Wiccans (especially Educational Films.

Can anyone recommend similar bands?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Wow, Jeff Rosenstock really summoned his inner Buddy Holly in "Why, Oh Why, Oh Why". I wasn't sure what to think when I heard the opening track on Vacation, but I ended up listening to the album twice over. Great stuff.

e: here's the link to the album, for the lazy: Vacation

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 27, 2011

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Ferrule posted:

Sass Dragons back together. Just so ya know.

Best news I've heard all day. Is Rad Payoff still going to be around?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

If you haven't heard Bust! yet, go download their latest album for free right here. They're really great guys, and their new drummer goes through snare heads like nobodies business (but he should never stop playing so hard).

e: and then go buy Suck Kuts if you like it, because that's twice as awesome.

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 2, 2011

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

So I already asked to no avail, but can anyone recommend me some hardcore along the lines of Wiccans and Cülo? I'm looking for some more good '80s influenced hardcore bands with a tight sound. Pretty please?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

I've been listening to the Suburbanite 7" album non-stop today. That EP is such a blast. It's the exact follow up to the Wiccan's EP I've been nagging for.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Glad I'm not the only one who thought RVIVR were kind of jerkish when I saw them

...but still, I would go to the second show. If only for BTMI! and Armalite alone.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

The new Condominium LP, 'Warm Home', is Amazing.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

The so called 'twinkles' genre is not very appealing in my opinion, but there is one band that I find a bit more dynamic in their sound called Glocca Morra, who I loving love. They put out a free split with a screamo band called The Greek Favorites on If You Make It called 'Songs in the Key of Ayyyyyyy', and every one of their tracks on it are extremely solid.

As for pop punk, Someone mentioned New Creases earlier, which I highly recommend. Here are some other bands that I didn't see mentioned that I think might as well be:

Tenement has a really awesome split with a badass Hardcore band called Cülo. Their album 'Naplam Dream' is pretty good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjk7KJuMHCY

Armalite is a pop punk superband, featuring Atom Goren (lead singer of Atom & His Package) and Dan Yemin (Kid Dynamite/Lifetime/Paint It Black).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfMHAg0ER44

Bangers is a pretty good pop punk band from the U.K. You should check them out too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_azkPSO20

Toys That Kill is one of my favorite pop punk bands. Former members of F.Y.P..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q8U3A7-rHs

The Haverchucks play some no-nonsense straight forward pop punk. they don't have a lot of material out, but its all worth checking out if you like that kind of thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgnkTP6oICM

Sonic Avenues are really fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASvReVpYoTY

Sass Dragons I know they've been mentioned many times already but... LISTEN TO THE loving SASS DRAGONS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAYmJ_mg45c

Hope that helped someone, at least!

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

LtTennisBall posted:

e: after about a million recommendations, i'm finally listening to Sass Dragons. these guys kinda own.

Good, now check out their side project Rad Payoff,

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Everyone in the Chicagoland area should come thrash to this:

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Holy poo poo, I hadn't heard that Gas Rag album yet and it completely blew me away. Thanks for posting it.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about this, but The Adolescents just put out a track from their upcoming album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADTbuwPh5Ww

It.. mostly just makes me laugh.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

BtMI docu trailer.

So it's fiiiiinally happening!

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

is fat mike a juggalo?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fat Mike, Violent Jay, Guy Fieri and the dude from Smashmouth are all the same person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa9_K_rYwgA

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Lync oooooooowwwwnnnnsssssss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV-nyWTW1t4

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

The Soviettes are good, if you don't mind pop punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

lmao, ShoogaSlim really pissed up the place.

Have some good 'n weird poo poo to turn the tables:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkt2YxvIHKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Re1zuUicFw

Tar Babies completely rip. They offered a nice variety of funk-punk jams as well as more straight-forward hardcore albums. You should check them out if that sounds like your bag.