Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Usually going home for the summer ruins music for me, but in the next two months I'll get to see Bane, Algernon Cadwallader, Snowing, Title Fight, Cold World, The Menzingers, Touche Amore, and War Hungry.

Let's hope this keeps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Had my Balance and Composure pre-order download for a few days now, it's ridiculous. Can't wait to get my vinyl in the mail.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The Balance and Composure release show last Saturday was awesome. Little disappointed they didn't play as much as I thought they would from Separation (no title track, I Tore You Apart In My Head, or More to Me), but they did play all of the split with Tigers Jaw. Great show to go to, and Make Do and Mend really impressed me. Need to remember to pick up their stuff when I have the time and money.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Had a pretty awesome weekend. Algernon/Snowing was on Friday, both were ridiculous. 1994 wasn't really my thing, and I believe there's a brother of Tigers Jaw in Halfling. They were really nervous but have some potential. My friend's band also played (Trainwrecker for those who care) and did a decent enough job for having a fill-in drummer and a bass pedal that broke. Only about fifty people there though, should have been more.

Title Fight release show was insane. I wasn't too big on Dead End Path or War Hungry, but Cold World did a nice set. Touche Amore and The Menzingers played ridiculous sets, and Title Fight was just nuts. Got a Shed release vinyl, disappointed it isn't colored, but the cover for it/personalization is pretty cool.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Went to the AP Tour last night to see Title Fight. Totally worth it. Absolutely love those guys, great set, and some of the guys stayed to talk to me at the end since we grew up in the same town. In regards to the others, Sharks were okay, more alternative than punk but pretty decent. The Swellers were great, picked up their new album afterwards. Not a fan of Gallows, just not my thing really. And Wade MacNeil seemed like a total dick. The whole tough guy-persona in some hardcore bands doesn't work for me. Four Year Strong was alright. Still not my thing, but they were better live than any recordings of them I've heard. If anything, I think it's the majority of their fans that ruin them.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

LtTennisBall posted:

I actually like Sharks the most out of these bands. They do kind of lean more alt/rock than punk, but I really love their music. They also seem like really nice guys. And I agree with you on Gallows, I just don't get it. Also their whole British theme (which seems to pervade their albums, so correct me if I'm wrong) is kind of ruined now that they have a Canadian lead singer.

Sharks definitely have a lot of potential. Shame the crowd didn't really dig them. And yeah, Gallows loves writing about England and stuff, don't really see how Wade is going to fit in with them.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

omg car crash posted:

Yeah, I know they came from -somewhere- in the decrepit valley.

Yup. Kind of cool how a decent number of bands have come from there or had a start there early on lately.

Dickeye posted:

No, it's definitely the band that ruins themselves.

Yeah they are pretty meh. I'm indifferent towards them, but when you factor in the brocore guys that love them, it's a million times worse.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

casual poster posted:

Wow, rocking these guys really hard right now.

If you can ever see them live, go for it. I saw them with Paint It Black/Screaming Females/Iron Chic/Give in Philadelphia this past March and it was insane. They were the most terrifying thing I've ever seen.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

iron chic posted:

punch is the friendliest band in hardcore

Oh I totally believe that. Their shows are just a spectacle is all. So much power and energy.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Parachute Underwear posted:

Direct Hit! is the best pop punk

Seriously, this was one of my favorite albums this past summer. It comes off more kiddy than others, but it's so much fun to listen to. I feel like pop-punk has made such a comeback in the last couple months.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
To be fair, Millencolin was probably my gateway pop-punk band about ten years ago and isn't a bad place to start. I still need to find some more acts though, I've just been spinning a lot of Iron Chic, Bedford, Bouncing Souls, and Spraynard lately and then some of the cross-overs with Title Fight, Basement, Snowing, etc. Any thoughts on where to go from there?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Great suggestions all around for pop-punk. Unrelated to that is my discovering Colossal and listening to Trash Talk over and over. Great week in music for me.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Anyone ever go to Pouzza Fest? One of my friends has an extra ticket and wants me to go with him and his buddy. Not too familiar with a lot of the bands on there, but $65 for a three day passes seems interesting.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The new Direct Hit!/Hold Tight! split :stare:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Refused is going to be at Thursday's Riot Fest this summer. Between them, Boysetsfire, and somewhat The Promise Ring, I definitely need to go. Should I splurge for a weekend pass without really knowing where I'll stay and who else will be there, or just go with my sister for Thursday?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Not really punk, but every punk kid I know loves the new emo stuff out of Algernon Cadwallader and Snowing. For more punk, check out The Menzingers and Iron Chic. Hell, just download everything you can from If You Make It.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
New track from Title Fight available for download.

Not feeling the vocal style too much, but I remember thinking the same thing about Shed. Musically I think it's very interesting and cool to see them go into an almost shoegaze vibe. Also cool to see that video shot around my hometown.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I remembering being in junior high with some of the guys from Title Fight and loathing them because they were super into Blink 182 and stuff, and this was in the take off your pants era for Blink. I do still like their poppy songs from the Kingston and Last Thing You Forget EPs, but I feel like they have so much more ahead of them. I'm also happy to see them try something new and different, they really do seem to have level heads about the whole things and don't want to pander to a certain audience.

But seriously gently caress the people who just post lyrics to Symmetry all over tumblr and poo poo like that. Given the background a lot of them have, Title Fight deserves better.

It's also kind of surreal to think that even though the people in the band are between 21 and 23, the band has been mostly together for nine years. If it's taken them some time to figure out what kind of music they want to play, I can certainly forgive them for taking so long at such a young age.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 26, 2012

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
This is the worst thing ever and I don't know what to do with myself :emo:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Such a terrible week in music...

Saw Tigers Jaw Saturday night and can't stop listening. Always found them to be more of a background band, but it's finally clicked for me. Adventures also played, been digging them a fair bit too. Recently signed to No Sleep with a 7 inch coming out in two weeks, features former members of Code Orange Kids. They certainly won't fill the void in emo, but they were pretty excellent live.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Steve Holmes sent seven cassettes worth of unreleased material and practice sessions of American Football to Polyvinyl, which will be digitized and made available. Incredibly excited to see what comes out of this.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I feel the need to share my love for Foxing, Cherry Cola Champions, and Worship This! Just mad at myself for missing the latter two earlier this month.

When I saw Title Fight and PBTT at the start of their tour, PBTT played some new stuff and it sounded excellent. Definitely on board for this split.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Jumping aboard with the Direct Hit praise. Still can't believe how good their split with Hold Tight is on both sides, even after Domesplitter set the bar so high.

Also going to see Hot Water Music on their tour, but I'm more excited about The Menzingers opening than La Dispute. They'll probably just play junk like The Obituaries, but I'm hoping for some stuff from A Lesson in the Abuse.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Seen the Menzingers five times, and they seem to get progressively worse each time. Incredibly underwhelming on the Hot Water Music tour (HWM was amazing though, and La Dispute was hilariously terrible). Their tempos drag incredibly (most notably during Gates) and they tend to ignore their earlier catalog, as was previously mentioned. It's a shame too because on the whole I thought On the Impossible Past was a step down from their other albums. It's good, but it lacks the punch. I also do not understand the love The Obituaries gets, god that song is terrible.

I mean good for them to be on Epitaph now and everything, but I feel that they were much more enjoyable when they were playing in smaller DIY venues and closing with A Lesson in the Abuse than they are now playing almost all of On the Impossible Past and maybe I Was Born.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
New Paint It Black song is kickass.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
So excited for that Pittsburgh show, Ormsby is always a good time.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Did we decide to not talk about RVIVR's newest album? Because I can't stop listening and am surprised by the lack of posts.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Megiddo posted:

While I'm in the thread, there's a slight chance I might be doing an emo show on my local college radio station soon.

The catch is that I am staff at the university and part of my job is doing engineering for the station, so I decided I should run it by my boss thinking there was no way he'd say anything other than "sure, go for it" - but instead he's going to think about whether he'll let me do it. It's a student-run station and the student staff have all approved it, but I get the feeling he doesn't want me to do it.

If that ends up being the case, I'm thinking I might start up an emo/screamo/skramz internet radio station. As far as I know, there really aren't any out there. Unless you count this one:

Geez, why is this something he has to think about it? My college station was always cool with anyone in the university doing a show and was also student-run. And in the summer it's open to the public, so I'll be returning with my own punk/emo/hardcore/whatever show on Wednesdays from 3-5 on WPTS Pittsburgh if anyone is interested.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
^^^ A lot of people seemed to miss that on RSD, and Deathwish has the rest of the pressing (thought none of the RSD-exclusive red) up on their webstore here. Figured I'd share, just ordered mine in pink.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Adventures is awesome and I can't wait to get my copy in the mail. I'm going to see them tomorrow actually, they always put on a good show.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Klaus Kinski posted:

The new bsf is actually pretty good after a few listens. They have tried hard to dismount it, but after the eulogy places them stupidly high on my list of all time good_bands :saddowns:

I've been digging it. They'll never touch ATE obviously, but they still know how to put together a record. Now if only they would do a proper US tour...

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

answersyouseek posted:

There is a band called World's Scariest Police Chases? You've got to be loving kidding me.

They take nothing seriously and it's absolutely amazing. Plus the punk rock ruined my life shirt is one of my favorites.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Spraynard is doing a show at First Unitarian in May and it's going to be awesome.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
It sounds alright, but I want to see live performances before I make a judgment. I saw them four times since On the Impossible Past came out, and they got progressively worse each time. And that was a span of April 2012 to January 2013.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 18, 2014

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The Menzingers are still well worth seeing, don't get me wrong. I just felt they lost a little going to a bigger label and were focusing mostly on that. OTIP is still a solid album, but it was frustrating having some dude just yell "play obituaries god dammit" after every song.

I'm spoiled from seeking them a bunch of times when they were first starting, but there seemed like too many times they would have tempo issues or just being off in recent shows. They also completely ignored their first album and a good chunk of their second, so hopefully they give a wide performance for you.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'm going to that Spraynard double show weekend leading into Memorial Day and it's just the best news. So many good bands supporting them too. Yo Man Go, Everyone Everywhere, Armalite, Timeshares, and more that I'm too excited to remember.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

Are they really playing a show at Grand Slam USA? My brother had his 10th birthday party there. I'm not sure how punk batting cages are.

Yup. I have no idea what to expect other than greatness.

Lazer tag is pretty punk though.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Spraynard reunion weekend was amazing. So glad those nerds are back together.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Saw The Menzingers last night. Much better than the last few times I've seen them, I think they handle themselves much better when they headline. Still haven't listened to Rented World though they played a little bit of everything. Definitely recommend seeing them if you're on the fence about it, but the crowd had a few more macho beefy shirtless guys throwing elbows than I remember in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Gabbleduck posted:

Been watching Snowing's final show on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEP88zuJF7g

I didn't know if anyone else in the world even knew about these guys and seeing everyone just flip out at the start of the first song is so heartwarming.

Snowing was the best band and whenever John Galm gets around to releasing the solo stuff he's sitting on it's going to be the most depressing thing ever.