Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is the new Alkaline Trio any good?

I didn’t even know they were recording, never mind playing a show in Boston a few weeks ago. Kinda pissed that I missed it but that’s what I get for assuming the band was done with Matt in Blink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

:yeah:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/badreligion/status/1204809233746845697

So uh, that rules. They’re playing in Buffalo so that’s three BR shows in under a year that I will be attending.

Thinking about getting tickets to the Worcester MA show because I love AT, but I’m also old enough to start feeling weird at all ages shows. Granted I’m still younger than the band members themselves.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Ferrule posted:

All these mentions of emo bands and no one said Christie Front Drive

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Last year’s cancelled Alkaline Trio/Bad Religion tour is back on for later this year. Tickets go on sale tomorrow

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Snagged a few tickets to Alkaline Trio/Bad Religion for the Worcester MA show. Mezzanine because I’m way too loving old and broken for the floor

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Ferrule posted:

$100 to stand in the back.

I got 2 mezzanines for $55 each, but I grabbed those right when they went on sale. Standing room was $45 I think at first. $100 is bullshit.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’ve never been to a Thursday show but everyone I’ve known personally who has been to one had the same complaint about their live mix being “off” and kinda toothless.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It looks like War on Women isn’t going to be able to play the rescheduled BR/Alkaline Trio shows, which is a shame! They rule and I am convinced that they should be signed to Epitaph so they can get more exposure. I made a petition asking Mr. Brett to sign them, it only has 60 signatures so far (lol) but if you all want to help out by signing it and retweeting please do so.

https://twitter.com/kotexfitts/status/1457850079553990663?s=21

Aww man that sucks for the rest of the shows. I saw them last month at the Worcester MA show and I liked their set better than Alkaline’s.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
This is uh quite the line up:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

I was gonna post in the general rec thread but I've got kind of a weird request: does anyone know if there are any midwest emo-style bands out there that mix the twinkly guitar thing they all do with harsh noise? I'm not talking like "noise rock" or shoegaze like Parannoul or what a lot of the so-called fifth wave bands seem to be doing, it's cool and I like it, I'm just curious if there's a blend of the two. I feel like the beauty of the whole midwest style of playing would sound really cool if someone ran it through a bunch of distortion pedals.
Failing that, does anyone know of any raw/lo-fi stuff in this style that isn't the brave little abacus or nouns? I like both of them just fine, but I'm looking for something I haven't heard before.

Thanks!

Very old skool, but maybe Boy’s Life?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Happy Hippo posted:

All of those bands on one day? How many stages? Who are the sponsors? No way this thing works out.

It’s three stages and runs from 11am to 11pm. Add in set and equipment changes between bands, I don’t see how you get through everyone unless they’re all playing sub-30 minute sets.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Kingo Ligma posted:

Its bass in an emo band, literally anyone who's seen a guitar in passing can do it. The hardest part will be doing the signature bass dance Nate Mendel has done every single time he's played ever. The trick is to do it at the same tempo for every song while somehow having a career that spans like 20 albums and not having a single song that matches the dance tempo.

The reformed SDRE will play nothing off of Diary so what’s the point?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I don't know anything about punk but I saw the Adolescents and Negative Approach a couple weeks ago and it ruled

Those guys don’t look like Adolescents at all!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Rageaholic posted:

They aren't coming here :( I may have to drive to Houston to see them in December like I did for their 2009 tour

gently caress it, grabbed 2 tix for the Boston show :toot:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lol I think the farthest will be in October when I drive 90 minutes to Boston for SDRE.

I did consider driving from CT to Denver when Christie Front Drive did their reunion show in 2007 but I couldn’t convince anyone else to go with me.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bust Rodd posted:

First show in about 6 months, so excited for tunes!

Went to go see Alkaline Trio on tour at the House of Blues! Coheed are their opener but they were at ComicCon this weekend so they flew Thick down from Brooklyn. It’s been probably a decade since I saw some real grindy feminist punks kick rear end but this set was great and they were really not shy about loving with the audience. The songs were about stuff like abortion and the lyrics to one song were just “YOU LOOK SO PRETTY WHEN YOU SMILE” *insane blast beats & breakdown* YOU SHOULD SMILE MORE SO YOU DONT LOOK LIKE A BITCH!!”

Trio was great, musically, but the show was very weird. Three songs I’d never heard and instantly forgot and then basically the 10 songs I went there for them to play, so I left happy, but Matt was like “we’re all super out of it and cranky so this show is gonna be weird” and then they played every song perfectly and by the end Matt & Dan were like “this is best set we’ve played all tour, we’re just goofing around and having fun, I’m having the time of my life.”

Absolute great energy from the band, but the audience was PACKED with waste-oid parents and their kids, I was like one step back from the stage and had 9-10 year olds on either side of me. They finally cleared out when some moshing started but drat it’s really hard to headbang when a munchkin in a fedora is next to you

I’ll have to check out Thick because the drama with War On Women earlier this year kinda soured me on them a bit and I’ve been looking for a similar band.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hot Diggity! posted:

What's the drama?

https://loudwire.com/war-on-women-nancy-hornburg-allegations-abuse-criminal/

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

TooLShack posted:

I feel like a giant turd for being too tired to go see Pup tonight.

Thankfully PUP isn’t very good

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Sunny Day Real Estate and Appleseed Cast tonight! :toot:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I think I paid more to see Sunny Day Real Estate, a band that has been dead for a decade plus and while influential has never been particularly popular, than I did to see the Bad Religion/Alkaline Trio team up which while still not exactly commercially successful are still much better known.

And I’d do it again because the SDRE show was amazing.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Frankly I think the more popular an artist is the less you should pay to see them, economies of scale and all that.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wow that's genuinely quite surprising, they're not a band I've ever massively followed (for reasons I can't remember? Maybe I should spin a record now and see if I've been wrong all these years). What size venue did they play and did it sell out? I had tickets to that BR/Alk show that I had to sell, that would've been a fun one for sure. I think I paid something like $70 each for seats after stupid fees. Going to Me First and the Gimme Gimmes this weekend which cost $35 after fees in a venue that's generally quite expensive, so definitely possible to catch well known bands for less than $40 still. Kinda sad I don't get to see them at the High Dive in Gainesville which has a capacity 1/10 the size of where I'm going, that would be great.

My favorite venue down here used to get small touring bands to play with no cover charge for a cut of the bar. Great idea and those shows were so much fun.

The venue was house of blues Boston. I think it holds maybe 1200 people total and I’d wager it was 2/3rds ish full, but everyone there was super into it and the band was engaging and energetic, clearly having a blast playing. I took a few vids I should try uploading to YouTube.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lol amazing

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bust Rodd posted:

All the waiflike frontmen would be cast adrift into the air like so many plastic grocery bags in American Beauty

All the frontmen at WWWY are 50 y/o dad bods now which has its own risks

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Rageaholic posted:

Sunny Day Real Estate is coming here in October and I got a ticket :sickos:

The last time I saw them was in 2009 in Houston.

Holy poo poo they’re doing another round? I went to the Boston show last October.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

John Romero posted:

going to sdre in august, had to leave their set early at riot fest to see misfits. Regretted that decision!!

jimmy eat world is playing the state (states, all of New England shares one) fair in september

You talking about The Big E?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Omnikin posted:

Do you mean God's greatest state fair? Can't wait for September this year. Gonna pound chocolate milk and watch the cow shows

:hmmyes: Gonna cop some $12 beers and check out Vertical Horizon and Dokken on the free stage

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

weekly font posted:

Michael Cera Palin is the worst 2008 rear end pop punk band name I’ve ever heard

I’ve never heard of Your Arms Are My Cocoon but I know exactly what they sound like

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

RubberLuffy posted:

New Alkaline Trio song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CprfYX6hij4

Album next year.

Huh, I had no idea Atom Willard was playing drums for them now.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

roomtone posted:

I've always liked Alkaline Trio but they've got two kinds of songs and I only like one of them. The lyrics are usually some macabre or dark stuff but the songs themselves either have the same edge or they are just vanilla pop punk stuff which completely washes over me and weirdly it is their later albums that tend towards that vanilla sound. I think after the Crimson album, there just isn't much I enjoy.

This song is one of the better vanilla style songs they've done but it's still that style so I can't get into it. I'll listen to the new album but my hopes aren't that high.

On a side note, Dan is looking very cool as the big moustache tough guy in that video. He's aged well.

If they come to the UK I'll probably go see them.

Is This Thing Cursed was their best album since Crimson in my opinion but yeah they’re definitely dad rock at this point. I bought tickets for the Boston show this coming March just because I’ve only seen them once before, plus Drug Church!Also the Boston House of Blues is a fantastic venue and I just like seeing shows there.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Maybe leans a little too into metal for this thread but the new Svalbard LP is really good

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

I can't hear Your Deep Rest without crying (one of many songs that do that to me post widowing )

Housebroken gets me every time

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Your AOTY, folks?

Svalbard, The Weight of the Mask

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Gouge Away is releasing a new album for the first time since 2018. They just released this song this morning:

https://youtu.be/kWDcqjcvwbA?si=OmtO-snK_b5_Gs7d

The album is called Deep Sage and will be out March 15th. It will also contain the song Idealized that they released last year. I hope I can see them live soon, they are awesome.

Oh gently caress yeah. Just recently got into them.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Rageaholic posted:

The new Sunny Day Real Estate thing is a 30th anniversary re-recording of Diary with one new track, Novum Vetus, that was originally supposed to be on How It Feels To Be Something On. That song's coming out this Friday and the album's out in May.

They also announced a new tour, too:

Welp I’ll be getting tickets for the Boston show. I caught them during the 2022 tour and it was an amazing show.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

weekly font posted:

My copy of Blood, Sweat, and Eyeballs arrived early and it fuckin rips. I need some more time with it but its undeniably their riffiest album so far. If you liked the direction of Radio Violence and Minds Like Minefields off the EP this is an extension of that sound.

I always felt like their albums felt like there were two clear halves with the back end feeling tonally different from the front but this one is even throughout and paced so well that it just flies by.

I have also always appreciated that what they’re singing about has grown up with them. Its why I can’t take Blink or Less Than Jake seriously anymore - you’re approaching 50 stop singing about crushes and getting out of your hometown. There’s always gonna be some breakup tracks but Matt’s not solely singing drinking songs about women anymore - he’s observing the slow death of humanity to capitalist exploitation and the crippling isolation it causes. And Dan is still low key the band’s best songwriter. Broken Down in a Time Machine is maybe an all time great Trio track?

It’s not Infirmary or Good Mourning but its as good if not better than Cursed or Crimson and hanging just below Maybe I’ll Catch Fire and Goddammit. I’m so fuckin jazzed to see them with Drug Church.

I got around to listening to it today and yeah it’s good. Solid all the way through with a couple good duet songs. Also good to hear Dan’s songs sounding like Trio songs instead of his solo stuff which brought Cursed down a little bit imo.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m confused, all of those bands are playing in one day?!

Average song length for most of those bands is like 1:17, they can probably pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
METZ touring with Gouge Away starting in April