Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
I only finally dipped into this thread recently and haven't read too far back, but I'm surprised that no one else made it to Total Punk Total Fuckoff Weekend II in Orlando the other week. The lineup was bananas for $30, and I used to live there so I crashed with friends for the sum total cost of buying them breakfast and some records, plus cheap airfare with Spirit. Here's a scattered collection of thoughts and impressions.

Friday preshow was Uniform from Atlanta and Nervous Ticks from Richmond. I didn't make this show - my flight didn't land until it was halfway over.

Friday night show:
False Punk - good, a little thrashy, vocalist was dynamic and energetic
Wymyns Prysyn - these guys are great, I've listened to them off and on for years, first time seeing them live. Played hard.
Manatees - they were alright. Didn't really have enough energy to hold up to the first two bands or enough quirk to hold up to Gary Wrong.
Gary Wrong Group - Gary Wrong albums are super layered and freaky. Sometimes he plays freaky live music, sometimes he plays it as uptempo punk. This was an uptempo punk set. Kind of a let down. On the plus side, Gary Wrong is a wild card and the collapsing mic stand pissed him off enough that he kicked it into the audience. Throw in some fuckups by the bassist on top of that and he wound up launching his guitar at the wall, breaking it into two or three pieces. He was in a good mood at the end of the night, said he'd repair it before and he'd repair it again - apparently it's the last Gibson Kalamazoo off the assembly line or some such.
Action Swingers - slayed. Abe from Manatees was too hammered to play second guitar to Ned at this point, but had the presence of mind to mute his guitar and just come in during the solos. Ned still had it, and the songs are classics.

Friday night afterparty was Tight Genes (Orlando) and Giorgio Murderer (New Orleans). I spent more time drinking in the parking lot than watching these sets. I went inside for a little while, it was friggin' bananas.

Saturday day show:
Nuka Waves - missed 'em.
Heavy Lids - Fun Spits-style punchy rocknroll. I would party to this soundtrack.
Slugga - straight ahead hardcore, decent.
Vatican Dagger - some more basic hardcore, but I liked it more than Slugga. The singer just stalked from side to side, but I liked the overall songcraft.
Black Panties - extremely my poo poo. A little hometown pride for this St Louis area native, but this just represents everything I like about Midwestern punk DNA - hyperactive basslines, staccato guitar, and a particular type of demented front man. I would highly recommend seeing this band live.
Predator - I expected more, wasn't really into it.

Saturday evening show:
Golden Pelicans - I love this band - they're basically Bon Scott-era AC/DC but with more punk swagger. I don't care for the specific timbre of Eric's voice, but he's a great frontman and he sprayed the audience with champagne as part of his birthday celebration. He loves casually swinging the microphone in big orbits during guitar solos, wound up hitting a dude in the head.
Foster Care - Eh. The drummer seemed strung out. Other guys were good, but he held things back.
Spray Paint - Yoooo this was extremely my poo poo. Sounded like Earth, but played at double speed without pitch shifting. A surprise at a punk festival, but enough of a freak vibe that they fit in. Wanted to buy their LP but I missed my chance. I would highly recommend seeing this band live.
Achtungs - A group of young Finnish guys playing a tasty style of garagepunk that ranged from Bad Brains to The Animals. Their LP is great. Stupendous leads and a solid rhythm section. I would highly recommend seeing this band live.
Buck Biloxi & the Fucks - Eh, the night was getting really interesting. Kinda ruined it with a band that sounds like The Queers. I've seen plenty of bands that sound like The Queers.
Lumpy & the Dumpers - A super duper live set. Not as chaotic as the legendary footage of the New York's Alright set from last year, or some of the shows they've played in St. Louis and Springfield, IL, but one of the more aggressive sets at this particular weekend. No slime at this venue, but Lumpy slapped all the photogs with a sausage and the crowd did get pretty wild and partly naked.

An Orlando dude operating as Tantrum Dan has great video of the whole fest, posted HERE

Recently I managed to see Chicago locals MAMA (early KISS rock riffs punched up and punkified) for the second time and Muscles Plant (tough guy hardcore) for the first time. I would see both again. I finally saw NWI's darlings The Coneheads - and yes, they are that good. Definitely one of the best things happening in punk right now. Sheer Mag from Pennsylvania was also highly recommended - good posi vibes and some crunchy leads. I was into it.

Other than that, I probably haven't seen a great show since Jolly Korea, Fake Limbs, Gnar Wave Rangers and Rad Payoff played a house show on a stray warm weekend in January or February. Chicago winter kept me chained to my Netflix account, but I'm definitely looking forward to lots of basement shows in the near future. The DIY scene here right now is on another level, it's a really special time and place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Ras Het posted:

If you'd read more you'd've noticed that this isn't a Total Punk type of thread. A Good Post doe.

stay depressed posted:

even tho this isnt what ppl normally post about in here this post is extremely good and im glad you had a good time. the achtungs are really really good (hat tip ras het) and i'm gonna look @ a few things you mentioned so thank you for the write up!

Thanks for the info and the feedback. I'm as eclectic as any punk, although it does seem like I'm skewing in a slightly different direction than the thread. I'll skim the back posts and chime in every two or three weeks to talk about things that sound like Estrus Records or Not Normal Tapes or the Minutemen, and about good Midwestern DIY shows that I've seen recently.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Woof. If I want punk mixed with 70s rock, I'll reach for Annihilation Time or The Shrine (or a lot of guys really, but not this).

They'll be touring this summer with Big Zit. Expect extremely good things.

A week ago I caught I had an open night and drove to Indiana for a house show featuring Chicago's Rash and Muscles Plant, NWI's Coneheads, and St Louis's Trauma Harness and Shaved Women. Shaved Women were breaking up at the end of the tour, after a good five year run as masters of noisy, sweaty buzzsaw hardcore (bandcamp is down right now, so try this random track on Youtube). They will be missed in the Midwest. If you like what you hear, reach out to them for their LP before the last few are sold. They don't do downloads, or at least they didn't use to. Trauma Harness is the descendent of a band I did a split with years ago, and they do more of the heavy pop/experimental side of punk - lots of effects and odd-vocalizations blasting through slight goth-haze. Super nice guys, and I'm always looking for a chance to rep old friends. Chicago's Rash was a lot like Shaved Women, and I would see them again. NWI's Coneheads are as great as everyone says, they played a flawless 8 minute set of the tightest, least-distorted DEVO nuclear punk imaginable.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Chicago basement show earlier this week:
Crude AI - good crunchy Midwestern basement punk. No complaints here. I was digging it. Liquids - this was a blast. Another good Northwestern Indiana band, shares members with Coneheads and Big Zit, that spat out a tight set at maybe 12 or 13 minutes for seven songs. Their demo tape is right here and it's a definite pro-click. Snotty and dumb lyrics with a reaaaal tight rhythm under it. The touring band was Phantom Head from Kansas City. It was pretty cool slow headbang punk, some definite garage and/or dark americana influences. I used to see bands like this all the time (and play shows with bands like this all the time in the late aughts) but I was wiped from my day and the bike ride over and I couldn't help but start yawning as their set crossed the 25 minute mark, and maybe even just barely the 35 minute mark. It's a Monday night people, let's keep it tight. Autonomy closed out the night with some anarcho gloom post punk. A good mix of Joy Division flavored tracks mixed with a few that were secretly hardcore songs but with some keys on top. I've known one of these guys for a decade, and the recent reformation with a few lineup changes is solid. Catch them on tour in July. It was a good house show and I was exhausted when it was over. The other highlight was being sold a copy of the out-of-print Nervosas double LP out of a milk carton distro for $4. That made the cold windy eight mile ride home even more worth it.

I've been traveling so the only other really punk thing I did this month was dig the clearance crates of punk 45s at Amoeba in San Francisco. Dropped $20 on 35 7" slabs, and $5 of it was for that Butthole Surfers picture disc where they cover King Wenceslas.

There's two other shows to report that are getting scant in my mind. I was at an acoustic punk apartment show in west Humboldt Park in late April that was a real good time. I do play in a folkpunk duo at the moment and we were on the bill, so my guy and I rolled up a little late (legit work reasons and I made it publicly known to the other performers that it would happen. I hate it when performers roll up in the middle of a show without an excuse). I'm sad to say I was too late to see ragged songstress Hi Ho, I was really looking forward to her set. As penance, scope her tracks. We walked in for the Regular Oatmeal acoustic set. The non-acoustic version of this band is extreme mathy postpunk, so seeing the solo acoustic version was pretty bonkers. They guy was shredding in weird and creative ways, with partial capo utilizations and lots of manic fingerstyle. Then on went L. Mounts, who really impressed me with emphatic and powerful vocal delivery. I checked his bandcamp, which didn't impact me quite the same way, but it is expansive. Feel free to dig through. I think we played next. The duo is called James Dean Death Cult but there's no music online yet, so save your googles for another day. It was a rocky display of middle of the road folk punk (and only our second show), but I went from being a non-songwriting bassist in a couple bands to playing 12-string and singing, so I'm pleased with myself. I'll slip recordings into a future post. Then Jason Douglass Swearingen, who owns bones in a very straight-up powerful singer-songwriter way. I'm pleased to say I'm putting out a 7" comp with one of his tracks on board. And last was Sideline Radio from Indiana, a good kid with clever songs about being non-white in the folk punk and pop punk world. Hugely successful apartment show. The only downside was that I negotiated poorly in a record swap and gave up something that was worth money for something that I half-realized I didn't want and that I was only being nice. Oh well. poo poo happens.

The other show that's in my memory from April is pretty fragmented by memory, so you're almost done. Basement show under an art gallery in Pilsen. I was bringing a friend who caused us to get there late and miss the aforementioned Autonomy set that opened the night (which is why I wound up at the show earlier this week). Then a band called Scoundrel played and they sorta sucked. Middle of the road punky rock with a not-ironic cover of Steve Miller Band in the middle. I would have enjoyed a gently caress-off band that played a weird 18 minute or 18 second version of songs like this, but a very serious cover at a show where the other three bands are gothy? Head scratcher. Born from Iceland played and they loving owned. Fat basslines, icepick guitars, desperate vocals. All of my favorite things. And locals Toupee closed it out. If you like Born, you'll like Toupee.

I may be back at that basement tonight to see Downtown Boys and some great locals. I'll try to break up posts more next time around. It seems like I've been seeing a lot of post punk type bands lately instead of my garage punk bread and butter. The times, they may be a-changing.

Edit: No posts by anyone else in the last few days, so I'll just work this in. I blew off that show on Friday but worked from one DIY show to another on Saturday. Started at a rehearsal space in Avondale and popped in to see Detroit's S.F.I. (not expressly punk, but seemingly very DIY heavy psych that reminded me of Earthless plus occasional lap steel) and locals Holy Motors, high octane American rocknroll, punk influenced in the way that Electric Frankenstein or similar is punk influenced. Locals White Mystery kicked off their headlining set, so I dipped out to head to a grittier venue and catch the end of a late show in the showroom of a former auto body shop. I finally got to see Chicago's Negative Scanner, a darkwave punk band that sounds like Lost Sounds without the keys. Very aggressive playing, female howling, dancing crowds. Good tight set. And then some buddies from St. Louis band Swear Beam went on and played some pulsing Velvet Underground flavored psych punk. Not the most straight-up punk night, but a lot of good DIY and punk inflected jams.

Bread Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 25, 2015

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
I’ve been drat busy and not able to do my own little trip reports, but there were a few notable things going on in the last month or so.

6/24: You Blew It! from Florida at a house. Not really my flavor but my buddy wanted to go. I liked the openers Kittyhawk and Ratboys better. Openers were 90s alt-pop flavored, which I get down with when I’m not scoping cool punk bands. You Blew It! was more of a Florida emo-beard type band. They were working hard and people were digging it, and I was respecting their thang, but it just wasn’t my flavor.

7/12: Acoustic Punk house show. Listen to my friend Grandpa Egg, who plays very beautiful outsider folk music. Not punk, but introspective and weird. Listen to my friend JR Fisher, who writes stupendous songs about his life. JR makes me think of Bob Mould a lot. And there was an acoustic version of a band called Blood Sport: The Move, The Band, who were solid as well.

7/13: Murder City Devils with Oscillator Bug and Rabble Rabble. Rabble Rabble is a sick as gently caress psych band that you should look up if you’re into that sort of thing. Their recent LP and the recordings before that are dope, but some of the material they tried out in their slot this night fell flat. Oscillator Bug was more of a weird synthy dance band that wouldn't be a surprise sandwiched between two punk bands at a house show, but also isn't really a pop band or a dance band and won't really fit in anywhere. Murder City Devils were rock solid performers, go figure. The guitarist fell and knocked over his amps in the very first song, and the singer dude kept his shirt tucked the whole time. It rocked pretty hard.

Local release that’s on my mind: the new single from Chicago band Melkbelly.

I’ve been prepping for a move from Chicago to New York, so I’ve missed a lot of good shows. I probably won't be able to make the Radioactivity/Fake Limbs show tonight (assuming it isn't sold out), but that'll be a drat banger. I do have tickets for Screaming Females/Vacation/Al Scorch next week, so I'm highly stoked for that.

As to this move, if anyone can clue me in on actual house shows, warehouse shows, etc, in NYC, please do. I’m sure I’ll see some punks play some bars, but I’m a DIY guy at heart

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
I can't count the number of good EPs I've heard this year, I'm barely up on LPs, but I'd add:

Uranium Club - Human Exploration (not sure if this is actually different from their 2014 demo, but check it out either way)
Coneheads - L.P. 1 (technically a collection of EPs)
Nervosas - ST II
Golden Pelicans - Oldest Ride, Longest Line

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Some good friends that I met through touring with a companion band back in the day have been gaining traction as a pop punk band called Wet Nurse, based in Orlando. They're leaving for a pretty substantial tour in a week or so, and I would highly recommend catching a show near you if possible. They live in the narrow slice of pop punk that I can always get behind, I spin their first LP on the regular, and the new single is highlighted in this Vice article.

Also, I'm officially out of Chicago and into Brooklyn, so feel free to PM me if you know anything about a DIY scene that isn't based in bars, and failing that, your favorite bands in the borough in general.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
FWIW it seems like (real) AC/DC is back on the scene as something that bands are cool to talk about and/or sound like. I feel like I've heard a ton of Bon Scott-era references in the last six months.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
I just saw Protomartyr on Saturday and I have to say that I found the stage presence tepid and the music uninspired. Didn't understand the hype. It felt like someone had out-ironyed The Killers and convinced punks that it was cool. Luckily they were playing with Sheer Mag and Downtown Boys, two of the best bands in the circuit right now (Downtown Boys was the most exciting thing I'd seen since Coneheads months ago, and in the short list for most invigorating sets in my life), as well as with Potty Mouth and Pity Sex, both of which were totally serviceable and brought more game than Protomartyr. I love postpunk, but I'm more of a Drive Like Jehu & Jesus Lizard kinda postpunk.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I think Downtown Boys are god awful, different strokes. I don't see the Protomartyr/Killers comparison, they're a working class band from Detroit, the singer is in his late 30s, I don't think it's necessary for them to have an explosive stage presence, that's not what the music is about.

With how restrained the percussion was and the muted croon of the vocal delivery, I couldn't help but feeling that that Protomartyr was sharing a ton of DNA with a lounge act. Just fuzzier (although not much more depressed than a lot of lounge acts!). As for Downtown Boys, people originally told me they were cool and I had a listen to the bandcamp recordings—I like X-Ray Spex as much as the next guy, but I wasn't blown away. But if you can catch them live, try it out. They were angry and happy and loving and demanding all at once, they were jumping and in motion the whole set, and it felt like a revolution was breaking out right then and there on stage. The conviction and the message went a long way, A+ performance.

Or, ya know, different strokes for different folks.

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't care for Downtown Boys at all, but I agree that Sheer Mag are great.

Yeah, Sheer Mag parties.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I've always wanted to go to a house show, but they never seem to happen near me. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

Organize one!

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
My buddy JR in Columbus plays in some punk bands but records acoustic music periodically. I like the music and the guy is a super solid guy. I'd call him more of a "hateful singer-songwriter" than a "folkpunk" in terms of how he sings and interacts with the world. If you like Nomeansno you might like his electric band, Hookers Made Out of Cocaine.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

El Miguel posted:

Are the Murder City Devils still good? I used to go see them on the regular, 15+ years ago, in Dallas. They were goddam amazing. Now, I live in DC and I am trying to decide if I should go to Philly to see them (since they are not, at the moment, playing here). What say y'all?

I saw them about six months ago in Chicago. I was never a dedicated fan, but a close friend wanted to go so I tagged along. I could tell they weren't phoning it in and that the energy levels were up way high. Good show, exceeded my expectations.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
New Lumpy & the Dumpers track in advance of their next album "Huff My Sack" just dropped over at Noisey. Hell loving YEAH.

Other good stressed music I've been enjoying would include Prom Nite, Radiation Risks, and the Digiboys. More normal punk includes The Meltaways (self-promotion alert: I'm putting out their 7" in a few months) and the Buck Biloxi LP from a few months back. My ears have been very happy lately.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

stay depressed posted:

the florida punk scene is mostly up north in gainesville

tampa/st.pete still has some poo poo

everywhere else idk

LOL. I can't think of a single Gainesville band I actually enjoy. Orlando packs way more heat with Wet Nurse, Golden Pelicans, Wooly Bushmen, False Punk, Tight Genes, Manic and the Depressives, Secret Tracers, whatever new band is playing at Uncle Lou's on a given night, and other less punky stuff.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

stay depressed posted:

yeah gaineville isnt really my thing either but its still a hub

i didn't know so much was happening in orlando now, i've been out of florida for a decade so shows what i know
I came across as uppity, but I lived in Orlando about five years ago and still have lots of very good friends there who are very active. Total Punk being based out of Orlando should be enough for people to be keeping tabs on the town. One of the very best small labels in the game.
There's tons of lovely bands there too, of course.

poo poo I've enjoyed recently: the new Liquids tape slays. The Bleeders demo kills. I revisited Uranium Club early in the week, it still rules. Shameless plug: I'm putting out a 7" by my friends in Brooklyn's The Meltaways in a month or so on my bullshit label, and I wouldn't be spending the money if I didn't think it was tight. Punk's alright, ya'll.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

What's your AOTY so far thread? I'm still obsessed with Camp Cope
This year has been all about EPs for me, and given that you can listen 6-7 of them in an hour, I'm just gonna be the rear end in a top hat who lists a bunch of stuff. Every release by Liquids, every release by Rik & the Pigs, the newest C.C.T.V. tape, the Bleeders - S/T demo, Vitamens - S/T EP, Digi Boys - Digi Demo, The Fuzzlers - Cyber EP, The Meltaways - 7" EP, the LSDogs single, lots more. Truly stupendous times for EPs. If you aren't tripping over killer EPs, I dunno what to tell ya.

I'll throw in a couple LPs that I think are of note, but again, it's an EP year for me. Anyway, don't snooze on Lumpy & the Dumpers - Huff My Sack, GOGGS - S/T, Useless Eaters - Relaxing Death, Giorgio Murderer - Holographic Vietnam War, and Foster Care - Sterilization. I have kept last year's Uranium Club LP in such hot rotation that I have to give it an honorary mention—that probably gets played at least twice a week in my apartment.

JackBobby posted:

Yeah, it was a little ironic hearing him talk about how strong and "in great shape" they are when he was out of breath the entire show. He sounded a little better once he switched mics but his vocals still got lost at times.
I saw the Danzig set when I did Riot two years ago and I seem to remember some breathlessness and troubles then. Bummer. But fun stuff all the same.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

What are the good punk albums from this year? I dug Pears, White Lung, and Murderburgers. Thought Pup was alright. Haven't listened to Rosenstock yet.
I listed a few favorite EPs and full lengths when someone asked a couple pages back, but I just want to add that I'm finishing the year strong with The Cowboys LP from January and the recent DD Owen self-titled release. The Lysol LP rips too. A lot of the higher marquee punk stuff that gets name checked here just hasn't been doing it for me, unfortunately.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

Tongue Party! They popped up in 2015 and are my favorite band in the local scene. I've seen almost every one of their shows only missing like.. 4-5 so far. I've seen at least a few dozen I think?

Tongue Party rules hard. My old band would play shows with their previous incarnation, Manic Zamboni, whenever they toured through Illinois. I still play that old CD when I need to chew up some freeway. I don't have anything with quite that mania to it on my mind at this second, but you could try my STL buddies Sunwyrm? Equal parts Black Sabbath and Butthole Surfers, and they're all still like 22 and just coming up in the scene, so hopefully it starts to get really insane down the road.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Ferrule posted:

Jawbreaker was paid one million dollars for that performance.

even if was true they're giving up ballpark 40% to taxes and an entertainment lawyer (who you would want on your side while negotiating a million dollar contract). So each guy walks with $200,000, best case scenario, which is like getting a $10,000/year consolation prize from when they broke up. And that's IF they got a mil and ignoring other incidental costs. They probably could have done better for themselves if they hadn't broken up.

Uh, I mean, punks should be destitute and in a gutter, not paid to entertain thousands of people.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

stay depressed posted:

sounds like corporate festival apologia but ok

Kind of but I also stopped going to Riot Fest the other year when holiday presales crossed the $100 line and I still got to house shows regularly so whatever. I just get amused when people get their undies in a twist over someone being paid to entertain thousands of people at once.

Punk talk: the recent Cowboys LP is good. The recent Rubs LP is good. The recent Sick Thoughts LP is good. The recent Golden Pelicans LP is good. I'm not really up on anything that's dropped in the last 2-3 months. What have I accidentally overlooked (but fits in with the bands I mentioned)?

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

stay depressed posted:

an idea i had just now sitting here eating my meager punk rock dinner is that they can put all the prophets of rage/nine inch nails stuff on the normie day. then, instead of paying jawbreaker a million dollars for no reason, create a day that celebrates and showcases local/regional bands thats my idea to give this particular festival an identity beyond being another 10 dollar water festival that i think benefits everyone and more importantly doesnt give jawbreaker a million dollars thanks for stopping by

I don't actually like jawbreaker and I agree with your point super strongly so I don't know why I was being argumentative earlier other than I was at my lovely job and I had a migraine. I decided a while ago I was only going to go to "$25 for two nights at a dive bar with 20 no-name budget rock punknroll bands" type fests and they run circles around stuff like Riot. I genuinely don't understand a lot of people's unwillingness to listen to bands that aren't on major labels.

Link me to your band!

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I remember being sorta flabbergasted when I found out that Chumbawumba had this legacy as a fiercely anarchistic band, since the stuff that made them mainstream famous in the 90's was very much not of that style, at all. Plus it seemed like they let any company that wanted to stick Tubthumping on a compilation do so.

They were political all the way to the end and gave pretty much all of that pop chart money to anti-corporate groups, when they weren't busy badmouthing cops and centrist politicians in the press or telling people that they should shoplift their CDs. It's worth reading about sometime, it's all pretty great stuff.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Parachute posted:

marked men ftmfw.

Those inclined towards Marked Men should check out Color TV from Twin Cities

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How much do riot fest tix generally run? Do those who have gone stay on the grounds or do you stay at a hotel (yes I know a hotel's more pricy but gently caress me do I not feel like camping out)?

Camping out is not an option. You'll be staying in a hotel or Airbnb. When I looked yesterday, Stubhub was showing about $100 plus fees for a weekend pass. Booze is expensive, of course, but food is a mix of ridiculously overpriced and appropriately priced. No re-entry in a given day.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
New Punk Chat:
Here's the new EP from my band on Spotify. We just got back from a pretty solid first tour. If you're kinda feeling it, follow it on Spotify and throw it in some playlists, maybe track us down on Insta or FB. If you're really feeling it you can buy the digital or the 45 at the label bandcamp.

Dope current punks of broad variety: Wood Chickens, Leche, Musclegoose, Lousy Sue, Werewolf Jones, Bow & Spear, Mama (the Chicago one), Jollys, The Wirms, Modern Convenience, An Invitation, Kids Born Wrong, Mr. Clit and the Pink Cigarettes, The Hussy, Fireheads, The Stools, Science Man, Radiation Risks, Treads, Qwam. That list is 90% friends from around the country but whatdya gonna do. These bands mostly play 100-200 cap rooms and basements, but The Hussy just did dates supporting Thee Oh Sees which was hella rad for them.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

You from WI? Madison?

Wood Chickens and Fire Heads and Hussy rip

Chicago but I've hung with Wood Chickens a few times and was on two bills with them on this tour. And Bobby is everyone's friend.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
I'll start with non-egotistical posting: listen to small bands Tuffy, Musclegoose, and Leche.

In egotistical posting, reviews are coming in for my band's first 45

Maximum Rocknroll posted:

This nice looking record has the visual aesthetics of an old PENETRATORS EP I have, or some of the many trashy rock’n’punk discs from the past. Flip it on and while those elements are there, you also get a heaping dose of NWOBHM or classic East Coast or Midwest hard rock like early RIOT. Sorta like a JAY REATARD vehicle hitting dead on with SAXON. Odd but works. “making GBS threads Bricks” is an absolute rager.

Yellowgreenred posted:

New Chicago power-trio here, sporting a flying-V guitar, a spray-painted bed-sheet banner and a song called “Blade Of The Knife”, which to be fair is one of the more obvious blades out there. They make use of that title for a hard-edged riff out of Judas Priest’s playbook and perform it with the gusto of traditional Chicagoan punk rock. “The Holler” stays the course, perhaps splitting the difference between Thin Lizzy and Nashville Pussy, with vocalist/guitarist Steve Henderson screaming out of a throat that’s clearly experienced its share of unfiltered cigarettes. The energy increases on “making GBS threads Bricks”, as does the level of sloppiness, but what can be expected of punks playing NWOBHM licks and having some messy, beer-soaked fun whilst doing so? They’re not called NightNormalPerson, for chrissakes.

Hell yeah. The "Reatards meets Riot" comparison lit us up. Hear it yourself to complain to me at the label's bandcamp.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
My DIY label What's For Breakfast? Records is doing spring cleaning, you can get a ton of 45s or tapes or LPs mailed to your house basically at cost if you want. Eight 45s or ten tapes mailed for $30, for example. It's basically all punk although there were stretches where it leaned towards garage and stretches where it leaned towards post-hardcore, and there's the occasional DIY basement pop band or old friend doing acoustic stuff popping in. Most people can't pick but if you say Something Awful in the 'referred from' field, I'll omit the one or two clunkers in the cassette back catalog and make sure you get the primo stuff. Check it out if you're inclined at wfbrecords.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
My band's debut full-length just hit yesterday. Chicago punk for fans of Motorhead, The Bronx, Annihilation Time. The local release party isn't until 3/9 for any Chicagoons in this thread.
https://bigneckrecords1.bandcamp.com/album/nightfreak