Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
They'd better tour because I am on the wrong side of this goddamn huge country right now and way too poor to go all the way across it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

ThePagey posted:

I'm pretty late on it but I got around to checking out Sum 41's newest album after not actively listening to them for over a decade and I'm loving completely baffled to see that it rules? Bringing back Brownsound and doubling down on the metal inspiration he brings to the table is so loving refreshing when we have the other old Pop Punk juggernauts dropping the Punk altogether.

I actually liked 13 Voices a little better, but the new one was really good too. Just wish they hadn't added the weird effects to the vocals on the last song.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I have the same issue with both the new Blink album and the new Green Day album, and it's that they both sound over-produced, polished, and compressed to the point of feeling like nothing. It's all so flat that it feels lifeless and the vocals are hard to understand. I know this has been an ongoing thing for decades with music ("loudness wars") but I've noticed it increasing rather than decreasing with punk bands for whatever reason.

I thought the Blink and Fall Out Boy albums were both pretty disappointing in that regard, especially for albums that were sort of billed as a "return to form" in some ways. Neither felt like much of a course correction from their recent releases. Green Day was a lot better IMO. Still think Sum 41 is going to be far and away the best out of those big four in this cycle of albums, I've really enjoyed all of their 2010s releases (13 Voices in particular) and the songs they've released so far have made me pretty optimistic.