Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Hydrac7 posted:

I don't listen to techno.

I'm sorry, I meant "French Electro"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Hydrac7 posted:

I don't know what you're talking about bro, my last.fm charts are being topped by Heaven in Her Arms and Louise Cyphre.

Deny it all you want, you still post it on other sites.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Triangulum posted:

Would you mind me asking what the motivation for going straight edge is? As an enthusiastic drug addict I find it somewhat baffling, especially making a lifestyle out of it.

This isn't an attempt to be a douchebg, I just don't really get it.

It may sound like a cliche, but my motivation for being straight edge is that I want to live a clean and healthy life. There are people in my family who drink a lot and it sickens me to see the problems they have.

I used to drink every weekend about 5 years ago. During that time, I would act like a goddamn idiot and that ruined some friendships I had. I saw my life going nowhere and I decided to make a change, so I became straight edge. I've been straight edge for 4 and a half years, and I feel it was the best choice I have ever made with my life.

My question to you is why would you brag about being "an enthusiastic drug addict"? Why would you brag about something so negative?

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Mike_V posted:

Not an Anthem's quote

Well, to be fair, I wasn't asking why she did drugs. I was asking why she was bragging about being an addict.

That'd be like me saying, "Last night I punched 3 people in the head because they were near me and smoking". Why would anyone brag about being retarded like that?

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Not an Anthem posted:

Same as a straight edge kid bragging about being straight edge. These are personal decisions and a choice of means to represent yourself, choice of how to live or any other justification for it. It is okay to drink or not to drink or do whatever you see fit.. personally I want to screen t-shirts that say "IT IS OKAY TO DRINK" as I've seen a rise in straight edge gear saying the reverse lately. Everyone gets drinking, or not drinking.

I agree, which is why I made the example that I did. I was just asking why someone would brag about something stupid. Straight edge or not, bragging about doing or being something retarded makes you a retard.

And you're only a real punk if you can kill the said wolves with your bare hands.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Parachute Underwear posted:

Why is doing drugs and the discussion of drugs automatically "something stupid?" Why does it (again) automatically "make you a retard?" I smoke weed often and occasionally get drunk at big parties. Am I a retard? Are Rastafarians retards because smoking the ganja is essential to their religion?

I have straight edge friends and I fully respect their life decisions. However, if they started ostracizing me the minute I ingested a drop of alcohol (or me calling them out for not partaking), I'm not too sure we'd still be friends.

I don't mean to act like I know you personally, but you sound like a pretty big rear end in a top hat if you make generalizations like that.

Also, there's a difference between someone who's addicted and someone who's an enthusiast. A crack addict might pull a knife on you for money but I doubt Joe Smith, who smokes a joint every once in a while, is going to do the same.

All I said that bragging about being an addict was retarded. If it wasn't retarded, and was something to brag about, rehab wouldn't exist.

I never said anything about people doing drugs being retarded. I never said that people who do drugs are maniacs who are going to rob you. Apparently you think I said those things, but if you read my statements again, you'll see that they aren't there.

Did Triangulum say that she was an enthusiast? No, she said she was an addict. Having no self control to the point of addiction and then bragging about it is pretty retarded in my opinion.

That goes for anything, drugs, alcohol, gambling, MMORPGs. If you get to the point where something is controlling your life, you probably shouldn't go around bragging about it.

Koala posted:

I need more bands that sound like Bad Religion. Tell me about bands that sound like Bad Religion.

Have you tried some of the other bands on Epitaph? When I was really big into Bad Religion I used to love bands like NOFX, Pulley, and other Fat Wreck Chords bands like Strung Out and Zero Down.

acup fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 12, 2008

acup
Sep 11, 2001

I guess I misread her post, didn't see the mention of addict. In that case, I'm at fault. Sorry dude :shobon:

No sweat, man. No sweat.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

I got my preordered copy of the new Her Breath on Glass LP. This thing is beautiful. They gave me a bonus 7 inch, a poster, and some patches with it. You really can't go wrong for 10 dollars.

I'm really glad that there are still some bands out there who put a lot into their releases and aren't trying to rake in the profits at the same time.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

zeldadude posted:

Resist is awesome, have fun :mad:

The band she's talking about is Resist And Exist. But I'll echo your sentiment, Resist are awesome.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Oh god this is so good. I loving love Majority Rule and this totally reminded me of them.

Yeah, that first track is total Majority Rule worship. I dig it :)

acup
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.denovali.com/kidcrash/

Kidcrash are so good. I love the Goldie Hawn ep and have been listening to it a lot these past few weeks.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Hiretsukan are another awesome female-fronted band.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

rivals posted:

Weird, I didn't know you were in Restrained. I'm definitely a fan. I live up in San Luis Obispo but I'll probably come down to that one too (in addition to the 2nd and 3rd up in the bay area).

EDIT: And this is more relavant here than the vinyl I thread I think but yeah, my complete (excluding tests) Allegiance collection:

I have all of those except the red Demo 2002 and that cassette. I do have their CD demo though :)

acup
Sep 11, 2001

rivals posted:

Rad! How'd you get the rootbeer color of the IA split, and how much did it run you if you don't mind me asking? Oh and the double IA label 7", that was the last thing I got.

poo poo, I didn't even notice that IA split. And I didn't even have a clue that there was another version with two IA labels. Looks like my collection isn't as complete as I thought it was :(.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Let's start talking about punk bands again and not lovely metalcore.

I just saw on Ambitions' myspace that they're breaking up. That loving blows.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

zeldadude posted:

I was at their second to last show so it's all good :shobon:

They were incredibly good. Sucks.

Do you have any idea why they are breaking up?

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Norma Jean.... They're heavy as hell, angry as gently caress

This same band I saw 5 years ago (I didn't go for them, a friend's band was playing) at a Church in Indiana and they refused to play because two kids got into a fight. They also had the nerve to ask my friend Kyle, who booked the show, for a cut of the door money. What a bunch of loving douchebags.

I usually don't like to rip on people for liking what they like, but goddamn does that band suck poo poo.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

answersyouseek posted:

He did ask about some of the better ones but there are still some gems in there.

Yeah, I really wish I had more money to spend. There's a lot of great stuff in there. gently caress buying a house and being a yuppie :(

acup
Sep 11, 2001

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

this is hardcore:

https://www.myspace.com/gatesofacheron

You have no idea what you're talking about.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Mike_V posted:

Why was there a guy burping into a microphone?

Also, any band that has a dude in the marines probably sucks, as a rule.

But dude, the Marines are HARDCORE.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Wizard Mannequin posted:

jesus christ, i think Ampere's covers of Money Stinks and the Regulator might be two of the absolute best covers I've ever heard.
So good.

The last time I saw them they played Money Stinks. It was pretty awesome.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Dickeye posted:

Yeah and Fat Mike called Death By Television the best pop-punk album ever
Everyone's wrong at some point

Apparently Fat Mike hasn't been wrong yet.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

RunTo TheHills posted:

So i just found out that the Mummies are reuniting for a one time only reunion show. IN loving SPAIN. WHAT THE gently caress? God dammit.

That's crazy. I wonder what tempted them to play in Spain of all places...

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Trapped Under Ice totally live up to the hype. Seriously.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Sirius Sam posted:

New Mind Eraser leaked

HEAVY. AS. gently caress.

holy poo poo

I got my record in the mail today. Totally stoked.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

A5H posted:

What's envy's best album?

A Dead Sinking Story.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

These guys put on such a loving awesome show. Pizza throwing and monster fights and short movies, hell yeah! I hated Suburban Legends though.

I saw them a couple of years ago and they were a lot of fun. Everyone went ballistic when they played Pool Party.

I also met the drummer from the Lillingtons who was playing for the Eyeliners, only I didn't realize he used to be in the Lillingtons until after I left the show. That was probably for the best, because I probably would have come off as a creepy, excited fan boy to him.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

that new Trapped Under Ice sound is pretty good.

Man, it's soooo good. Love it.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

rivals posted:

I thought Guns Up! broke up a year or so ago?

They did. I'm guessing they're trying to cash in on popularity?

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Alpinist rules. I hope a US distro gets some copies of their LP because I don't feel like paying mad dollars for it.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Shane,

Are you the dude selling the FD test press on ebay?

If so, I'll buy that off of you straight up.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

RODSTEEL posted:

How does everyone feel about Verse? I personally love them and i am pretty sure they are broken up now, but great band!

Great band. I'm sad that the singer broke edge, but that's his choice to make.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

baberaham lincoln posted:

The Geeks

They're from South Korea.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

nope, I mean I'm not too too into Converge in the first place, but it sounds like Dragonforce or something at the very beginning. Gross...

I was thinking the same thing, actually.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

RODSTEEL posted:

What do you guys think of Modern Life is War? they are easily one of my favorite bands. They don't have a single song that i do not like and i listen to them all the loving time. I am trying to find some other bands that sound like them because they are broken up now and i will never get to hear any new songs :smith:

So i guess this post is sort of an interest check as well as looking for bands that are VERY similiar to MLIW.

Outsiders baby!

First two albums were good, last one suuuuuucked.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

RODSTEEL posted:

i liked all of them :(

It's cool. I was really really excited for it, but was really really let down.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Holy crap, Thursday/Friday are just jam packed with awesome:

Thursday:
Algernon Cadwallader
Social Circkle
Ampere
Teenage Cool Kids
+others

Friday:
Failures
Drunkdriver
Scapegoat
+others

And it's all just a drunken bus ride away... Amherst punk goes big right at the start of the school year!

If I didn't have to work/had PTO, I'd be going to that show on Thursday. Enjoy.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

I love you guys :3:

acup
Sep 11, 2001

A5H posted:

Anyone like the kidcrash?
Listened to that new runier as well, it's alright.

The Goldie Hawn EP is the best. Love me some Kidcrash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't find anywhere better:

I went to Houston just to see Sunny Day Real Estate last night and came back tonight. They were awesome! They played 3 out of my 5 favorite songs (Seven, In Circles and 48), but no material from "The Rising Tide" (I don't know the goon opinion on this album because this is my first time posting in this thread, but it's a personal favorite of mine). They also played a new song, which was pretty decent but nothing special. I'm guessing that means they're writing material for a new release, but who knows.

Anyway, I'm really glad I got to see them on their reunion tour. If you get a chance to see them, take it!

My fiance saw them last week up in Boston and she said they were excellent. She recommends seeing them as well.