Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
I saw Lifetime last night in Brisbane. They were spectacular. Tiny little venue, great crowd, awesome band.

What a great fuckin' night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Ruiner, The Riot Before, The Steal.

Three bands of the moment. The Steal are so loving incredible. I'm after bands that sound similar, that aren't Kid Dynamite or Shook Ones. Any suggestions?

And also - Latterman broke up and that breaks my heart. Those guys were incredible, and I never got to see them live (loving Australia). Any suggestions for bands similar to Latterman too?

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Anyone got any suggestions for bands similar to The Tim Version / Off With Their Heads / Young Livers? Just that really up-beat, rough-as-gently caress dirty punk rock and roll? Listening to them is such a loving good time.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

RagingPawn posted:

Seeing A Wilhelm Scream on the 24th. What can I expect from one of their live shows?

Good, good things. I saw them when they supported Less Than Jake over here in Australia last year. Even though they were the supporting band, and there were only like 40 people in the place that knew who the gently caress they were, they were still loving tight and awesome.

You won't be disappointed.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Probably a bit out of place in this thread, but you guys need to check out The Ghost in You. They're a band from Brisbane. Pretty much just straight-up punk rock with some hardcore influences, gang vox etc. Truckloads of energy, very much in the vain of No Trigger I spose. Anyway, I think they're really cool, and have seen them a bunch of times around town. Just wanting to hear other people's opinions on them.

http://www.myspace.com/theghostinyou

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Why won't No Trigger tour loving Australia! Goddamn, I thought for sure they'd be here by now.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Ozean posted:

Alright, I need to get more into hardcore. Of the punk variety, if you catch my drift, but more modern stuff. Where should I get started?

I'm pretty partial to the following:

Ruiner
Kid Dynamite
Shook Ones
Paint it Black
Sinking Ships
Another Breath
Rentokill
Daggermouth
The Steal
Rex Banner
Strike Anywhere etc.

I know that's a fair amount of band namedropping, but hopefully that should help out a little.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Banner Pilot

https://www.myspace.com/bannerpilot

Very reminiscent of Brendan's songs from The Lawrence Arms, I think. That real gritty, harsh-but-fun straight up punk rock sound. I need more bands that sound or feel like this. Obviously I can't really describe the sound very well, so hopefully you can have a listen and tell me more bands that sound the same.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Let's all post bands that sound exactly like Banner Pilot (so that I can check them all out too, because Banner Pilot are so loving loving loving loving amazing it isn't even funny).

1) Brendan's songs in The Lawrence Arms
2) ???

HELP ME OUT HERE! And if you haven't done so yet, check out Banner Pilot.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Iridox posted:

Nothington, Hot Water Music, Dillinger Four, Dead to Me, The Flatliners (Get their newest album, I haven't heard their older stuff but I think it's supposed to have more ska influence), Riverboat Gamblers, Grabass Charlestons

You should probably check out The Gaslight Anthem too. They don't sound much like what you're asking for, but it seems like everyone who loves TLA and all of the other orgcore bands loves these guys too.

I've listened to all of those bands except for The Flatliners and Dead to Me (whom I will be checking out ASAP).

While they're all awesome bands (Nothington especially), they don't really have the same feel to Banner Pilot (that super-fast, energetic, melodic music with those awesome raspy vocals). Maybe I just have to accept that the reason Banner Pilot are so awesome, is because they're pretty unique in a way.

The worst part about all these amazing bands like the ones you listed is that they all seem to be JUST small enough to never really make it over to Australia to tour. Oh well!

Thanks for the recommendations man.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Iridox posted:

Nothington, Hot Water Music, Dillinger Four, Dead to Me, The Flatliners (Get their newest album, I haven't heard their older stuff but I think it's supposed to have more ska influence), Riverboat Gamblers, Grabass Charlestons

You should probably check out The Gaslight Anthem too. They don't sound much like what you're asking for, but it seems like everyone who loves TLA and all of the other orgcore bands loves these guys too.

Thankyou so much for The Flatliners recommendation. Jesus lord, they're incredible.

To the guy above me: Banner Pilot and The Flatliners! Haha.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

rivals posted:

Miles Away is so loving good.

I'm glad they're getting recognition outside of Australia. They're an incredible, hard working band and they deserve every bit of success that comes their way.

In other news, new Banner Pilot album out soon. Hurry up already :(

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
check out Civet if you're after a decent all-girl punk band.

I reckon they're OK.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Saw the Gaslight Anthem on Saturday night.

A more sincere, talented, brilliant band there aint. What a great, great show.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Wow, FC Five are on that list. They supported Miles Away over here in Australia not too long ago. I didn't make it to the show, but everyone I know couldn't stop going on about how loving amazing FC Five were. A lot of people even said they blew Miles Away off the stage which is crazy, because Miles Away rule.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Rubber Bob posted:

Yeah.

Is this the part that I start begging you to come to Australia? Maybe it's just because we're in the middle of the loving ocean and don't really get exposed to as much as the US, but everyone over here loving loves you guys to death. I even co-own a small record label / booking company and would assist with whatever we could, if you made it over.

Enough cocksucking though. Not often us Aussies get to personally compliment one of our favorite bands/musicians though.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Rubber Bob posted:

Seriously? We'd loving love to be able to come over to Australia sometimes. We've been talking about it for quite some time, but I'm not sure if it'll work out. Maybe towards the end of the year. We've got pretty much stuff planned for spring/summer, at least.

What's the name of your label? Would seriously love to come to Australia. Thank you so much for the kind words.

Record label can be found at https://www.myspace.com/yourdaughtersrecords

Still very early days yet, but we've been doing bookings for local bands for a long time now. We could probably point you in the right direction of people who could organise things like gear / places to stay for you if you did end up over here though, to save on costs.

But yeah, enough fanboyism, hahah. Just figured you'd like to know that there's plenty of people all the way on the other side of the planet who can't get enough of you guys. Drop us a line if you'd be interested in getting over here and we'll put all our time/effort into trying to help out. Cheers.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Pantalones! posted:

ya verse broke up so shai hulud is replacing them on the nfg tour.

and the new final fight record loving sucks. I think under attack might be one of my favorites but this new one is just them trying to sound as much like killing the dream as they can, without actually playing anything good. I really don't understand what happened, they went from being one of the catchiest, funnest hardcore bands around to just sounding super generic.

I agree it's not as good Under Attack, I wouldn't say it's as bad as you're making it out to be.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Dorepoll posted:

Saw Propagandi last night. They were really freaking tight, played a killer setlist and even threw in a few newies. Solid crowd, and it felt like everyone really wanted to be there and make the most of it.

Were you at the Brisbane show? Yeah, it was loving excellent.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Ben Wah Balls posted:

Any new tunes from Supporting Caste? Playing Bristol in April and I'm loving stoked; Jord was pretty loving amazing live on the Potemkin tour.

Yeah a few songs, it was pretty great. They ended up getting some guy from the crowd up to sing gently caress The Border, and I swear to god it was better than the original.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
My band just got done recording our first song for our demo yesterday. I've never been in a real band before, so I'm pretty loving excited about the entire process, and really happy with how this came out.

http://www.myspace.com/lightsleeperband

Influences are along the lines of Latterman/HWM/Lawrence Arms I guess. Would like to get some honest outside opinions.

Thanks

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
My band just got done recording our first demo, and we've uploaded two new tracks to myspace. Any feedback on the tracks would be really cool.

http://www.myspace.com/lightsleeperband

For fans of HWM/Latterman/Alexis/Lawrence Arms I guess.

Thanks!

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

MacDougall posted:

Wow dude! I like this poo poo. I clicked your link and kept meandering through the internet listening and much to my surprise when I clicked back to read about you guys I realised that you're a loving Brisbane band. You guys definitely have your craft worked out. I might have to go to your 7th of August show. Can definitely hear the Hot Water Music influence!

Haha wow, thanks very much man. Come say hello if you end up at the show!

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
The Gifthorse from Brisbane, Australia just released their new EP yesterday. It's absolutely incredible. This is a band that have grown and matured so much over the last two years it's not even funny. Great people, and well deserving of the attention they're getting at the moment (well, in Australia anyway!).

https://www.myspace.com/thegifthorseband

Check out the cover of Don't Tear It Down by Spy vs. Spy. It's so loving good.

For fans of Samiam/Small Brown Bike/Jawbreaker/HWM etc.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Hi all,

We've just recorded a new track that we're releasing on a split for our tour with our friends in Brisbane band, Willows. It's called "It doesn't take rocket appliances", and you can have a listen on our myspace - http://www.myspace.com/lightsleeperband.

It's a bit different than the stuff from our demo. I'd love to hear what you guys think. Thanks.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

fastpork posted:

Check out mewithoutYou, they cover a similar style, and Aaron really sounds like Cedric to me. The only thing is that they are a christian band, though they cover more spiritual tones than just jebus praising. I don't actually mind it, because they are so damned good. Catch for Us the Foxes particularly reeks of ATDI, IMO.

And seconding Bear Vs. Shark, who come off as Modest Mouse meets ATDI, and as those are two of my favorite groups, I really like BvS.

If you're gonna check out mewithoutYou, just skip them and move right onto La Dispute. I think they capture everything that is good about mewithoutYou, but are much more ballsy and heavier.

Backing BvS hard though, that band rules.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
So my new band recorded a demo and uploaded it to our blog - nuclearsummer.wordpress.com

We don't really know where it sits, genre-wise, but we're really happy with how it sounds. I like to think of it as Kidcrash, but in drop d. Any feedback is really appreciated.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
My friends' band, Capeweather, just put their EP up for preorder/sale on Bandcamp. It's extremely loving good. It's a good mix of late Planes Mistaken for Stars, jangly screamo stuff (Ampere etc), with heaps of nice 'pretty' emo-esque arrangements thrown in for good measure. I'm amazed at how good it is, it's the most urgent and, uh, 'legitimate' (if that makes sense?) thing I've heard in a really long time. They're playing with Comadre later this month in Brisbane, Australia.

http://capeweather.bandcamp.com/

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

cf posted:

Capeweather sounds pretty good and I was digging the song until it got twinkly and then the clean vocals... Up until that point I was really thinking about buying it. I ran into the same problem with Pianos Become The Teeth when I got to that spoken word section in "Houses..."

Leave it to a screamo band to suck the life out of a song for the sake of dynamics. But, really, it's just that I vibe way harder to all out speed and heaviness.

To be fair that's the only twinkly part that's really drawn out to that extent on the whole EP, the rest is a lot more straightforward, and doesn't slow down nearly as much as that particular track. Funny though, that bit is by far the 'highlight' of that song to lots of people that I have heard comment on the track so far.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
edit: I suck

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
Let's all talk about how Planes Mistaken for Stars are one of the best bands of the last 20 years, and how they're doing a reunion tour, and how much we hope it leads to them releasing new records (and how much I personally hope one day they come over to Australia).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
New IDYLLS record just dropped - http://idylls.bandcamp.com/

loving magnificent.