Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

EvilRobot posted:

Invasion of the Porky Men is bad rear end. Love the Subhumans, never could get in to Citizen Fish. Favorite of that era and location was Rudimentary Peni, which I get poo poo for every time I bring it up. GBH, Discharge, Infa-Riot... I could go on like this for a while. Then we get in to Oi! and I'm just all over the place.

So yes, I do.

Rudimentary Peni is my favorite punk band of all time, and I can't wait for the new album next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I didn't know Rubella Ballet is still around, thats pretty awesome.

Now if only Steve Lake would get over his fear of flying/boats and bring Zounds t the states I could die happy.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Mike_V posted:

I dunno, that EP they put in like 2004 or whatever kinda sucked.

Yeah, it wasn't very good, but it'd still be cool to see em.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

For GISM fans I highly recommend trying to get ahold of Subj and Egos Chopped, because its awesome and crazy.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Slut Muffin posted:

Neat, I'll have to check that out. I listen to far too much Paul Baribeau for my own good. "Grand Ledge" has been glued into my CD player.

Speaking of Andrew Jackson Jihad, I've been listening to them a lot lately. I really like the new album, "People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World". I like them better than Against Me!, although comparing them might be a stretch, definitely recent AM! anyway.

I've recently have been getting into Fall of Efrafa too, they're incredibly good.

Yeah, Fall of Efrafa is sick
I just started listening to them the other day, but they rule

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I think I'm seeing Wingnut Dishwashers Union monday, and MDC/Cit Fish Wednesday, should be a good week.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Slackerish posted:

You're reallllly lucky. A bunch of my friends saw Municipal Waste and all agreed that it was the best show they'd ever gone too. And these are guys who average 1-3 shows a week, so..

Waste really is incredible live. The only show I've been to better than the three waste shows I've been to was RAMBO's (most recent) last show.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I finally checked out Brutal Knights, and that's some fuckin good poo poo.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

RunTo TheHills posted:

I picked up some Mischief Brew based on recommendations here and i loving love it, especially the split with Bread and Roses (who i also love). Hearing those two bands covering IWW Labor songs is just loving awesome.

I love Mischief Brew. Erik Petersen's a really cool guy, and he usually works in some cool covers in every set. I saw him with Johnny Hobo once and he played Fairytale of New York, it was sweet.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Anyone around the South Jersey area, there's a good thrash/metal/punk show coming up at the Cue Club II on the forth.

Tube Disasters: Awesome local thrash/hardcore band
myspace.com/tdisasters
Decap Attak:fairly new local band, pretty decent thrash
myspace.com/decapattak
Sheeron: Local metal
http://www.myspace.com/sheeron
El Fuego: pretty good power pop band, if you're into that kinda thing
http://www.myspace.com/itmeansfireinspanish

Should be fun though,at least for a local show in an area pretty devoid of much of a scene.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

EvilRobot posted:

I've heard people call bands "melodic hardcore" when they mean "not mosh metal". Keep in mind a lot of people will look at you like a deer in headlights if you refer to Black Flag as a hardcore band.

anyone that doesnt think black flag is hardcore should be purged from this planet

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Not specifically punk, but is anyone hitting up Maryland Death Fest this year? I'm mostly going for Hellnation and Nuclear Assault, but a lot of other awesome bands are playing.

https://www.supremebrutality.com

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

COCKISPOISON posted:

Oh jesus loving christ, now I really want to go. My pocketbook and liver are going to be hurting this year... Anyone want to fly to Maryland from the fest in Austin with me?

I'm still upset that I missed it last year. loving Birdflesh played

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Some unreleased/live Rudimentary Peni stuff just got posted over on the southern records boards. Its got 4 live albums, the Death Church Demos(instrumental rough versions of the songs on Death Church) and a complete song that I've never heard before called Please Help.

New album soon too, can't wait.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Agent Bob posted:

Am I the only one who is in love with the song Refrigerator Heaven by the Freeze? I mean, it's probably in my top 3 80's hardcore songs. Well, at least top 10. poo poo is sooo good.

Its a good song.
I tried to see the Freeze a few months ago in Philly but ended up blacking out and lost. It sucked a lot.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Mike_V posted:

When I saw them in November 2005, all they played was their new crap and a couple songs off Axl Rose. Absolutely nothing before then and I imagine it's only gotten worse with them having a new album out.

Its easier to just pretend they broke up.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Hell yeah, just saw that Disfear is coming to Philly in a few months. Sweet.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Not specifically punk, but some friends of mine from Tube Disasters(myspace.com/tdisasters) just put together an album of Megaman X covers, which is some of the thrashiest video game music ever made.
Figured some of you might enjoy it, but it probably didn't warrant its own thread.
http://www.myspace.com/thexhunters

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Tube Disasters put up some new recordings today and they're sick as hell.
http://www.myspace.com/tdisasters

Check em out.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Holy poo poo, Sex Vid is loving incredible. Best recommendation I've gotten from this thread ever.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I think I'm seeing Disfear friday. Anyone know how they are live?

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Anyone here listen to Tankard? A friend of mine just recommended them to me, and they're sick. Really good German crossover stuff.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Just got back from Municipal Waste, it was an awesome show. The Claw and Victims opened. I missed the Claw, but Victims were sick as hell. Waste was great, as usual, and it was in the First Unitarian Church which is my favorite venue. Only downside of the night was three of my friends getting grabbed by undercover cops less than 5 minutes after they got there. They're more pissed about missing Waste than getting arrested, heh.

I was surprised though, Waste played Boner City and it was actually good.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Oh poo poo, I just found out the Butthole Surfers are playing Asbury Park this June with DEVO. gently caress yeah.

I've been listening to the Butthole Surfers constantly lately. Hopefully they're good live.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

Good show last night. Newish young band "Sleepy Creepers" sounds between rudimentary peni and the crucifucks. Being psyched for an opening band is awesome. Next was Ultratrumbados who were the most technically proficient band I've seen in a while (and good, to boot).. then Daylight Robbery and Condominium. Not so hot on condominium vocals but they sound good.

Today is Red Dons!

http://www.myspace.com/sleepingcreepers
I just looked em up, and these guys are loving awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Saw Brody's Militia last night, they were good live. Seemed like cool guys, too.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Mike_V posted:

What the gently caress? How many times are these guys going to be done for good?

probably less times than RAMBO

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I guess I'm going to Warped this year for free, since I'm doing a table for the Rainforest Action Network. Besides the Aggrolites are any good bands playing at all this year?

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Is Agent Orange still worth seeing? They're coming to philly soon and I might go if they aren't total poo poo these days

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

The new Rudimentary Peni is loving amazing.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Are the Circle Jerks still worth payin 17 bucks to see? A few friends of mine saw em a couple years ago and said it wasn't bad, but I'm kinda sceptical.

Hah, I just noticed on the r5 site that Leftover Crack is playing the trocadero, yet again. Funny that they consistently play clear channel venues.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

COCKISPOISON posted:

The Trocadero is the one venue in Philly thats really capable of holding a Leftover Crack show, in terms of size and capacity, sound equipment and security concerns. Every show we've done at the Church and other, more-DIY venues that Greg Daly books for end up as disastrous, and usually end in a riot.

It is a bummer, but Clear Channel's dominance of the market makes having functional shows incredibly difficult.

Ah, make sense I guess.
Just a shame because the troc loving blows.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

mrmanatee posted:

I saw that show in Philly but it wasn't that great. Then again I'm not really into either band that much.

Speaking of, how can I become informed of shows in Philly? I'm used to Austin where I can go to one website for every show ever.

phillyshreds.com and r5productions.com are where I go for all my philly punk show needs.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Man, I hate when bands I like play with LoC. I don't even dislike them so much, but the fans suck a lot.

But, I guess its worth it for Magrudergrind/Witchhunt/Mischief Brew

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

jesus christ, i think Ampere's covers of Money Stinks and the Regulator might be two of the absolute best covers I've ever heard.
So good.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

skull pressure posted:

Have you heard their cover of Conspiring the Go-Go by Antioch Arrow?

Yeah, that one's good too, but I'm not familiar with the original so I don't really appreciate it as much as I would otherwise.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

God damnit, why is Municipal Waste touring with the Casualties.
The lineup for the Philly show is so disappointing. Waste, Casualties, Boils. Might be the first Waste show I've passed up in years.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

RaoulDuke posted:

I have tickets to Against Me!/ted leo/future of the left next weekend. Anyone been to any AM shows lately that has any idea what they're setlist could be like. I feel like if I could pick the songs they played (ie all of Reinventing Axl Rose, early ep's) it would be a loving awesome concert, but it could be potentially only ok if they play new wave/former clarity songs instead of 35%/Baby I'm an anarchist stuff.

Also the day after is Ben Nichols from lucero, tim barry from avail, and chuck ragan from hot water music playing an acoustic set. :rock:

Get real close to the stage and repeatedly demand that they play I Am Citizen and see if they get angry.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Sweet, the Dead Milkmen are playing a show in Philly the 26th. Even though they're all old and poo poo now it should still be cool to see em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Smoked Salmon posted:

A college organization I am in is running a hardcore show in late November, but we're having trouble finding bands that'll play. We're paying fairly well and have decent equipment and always good numbers at our shows. And we're in New Jersey for pete's sake--it shouldn't be this hard to find bands! A major problem that I think is occuring is that the show's set to be on a thursday night--would moving it to friday or saturday help things?

Where in Jersey/what college?

Also, is it strictly hardcore? If not I may know a band or two that might be interested.