Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've been sticking up a bunch of old sets from ~2003-2007 on to Vimeo as a paid account gives me enough space to do these things decently rather than just cutting tracks out and compressing the hell out of them. Thought you guys might like some of them...

https://vimeo.com/59759291

We put out 100 DVDs of this compilation in 2006, it was a celebration of the bands that my mate had put on for the previous couple of years. Lots of UK/EU/US bands including Another Breath, Cursed (the 'infamous bedroom gig' that seemed wellknown everywhere!), Down to Nothing, Hoods, The Setup etc. 22 bands in total, nearly 90 minutes long.

https://vimeo.com/59801951

Madball - about 30 minutes long, sadly on an older camera but fun nonetheless.

https://vimeo.com/59817066

Converge - same venue as Madball, but after purchase of a new camera. Whole show, just prior to the release of You Fail Me in 2006. Looks and sounds pretty decent to me, shaky at the start due to normal camming chaos but settles down.

https://vimeo.com/60388377

Strike Anywhere - first time in Europe to my knowledge as this is from 2002. Again, old camera and I get shoved around a fair bit with the camera but a fun set nonetheless.

I'm already out of space on Vimeo for this week, have to wait until Friday to upload more... joy. I've already got a Champion set capped and ready to go when that comes up.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Cool stuff man, thanks. You Fail Me-era Converge is the best Converge. Also, I forgot about Send More Paramedics until I watched that comp video.

Cheers man. I didn't really 'get' Converge until that show then everything clicked. They're such a fun live band, I've got another set from a year or so later I'll probably put up at some point.

Send More Paramedics just managed to get it right... they did the zombie shtick before it got too overplayed and Zombie Crew is such a legit tune. I wish I could find the tape, if I remember the dude gets on stage after crawling through the crowd. Good guys.

I made a Facebook page and listed all my tapes (tooons are going to be South Wales local but there's plenty of US/EU on ther etoo) so if you wanna see more jump on https://www.facebook.com/SWMVideos as I'll be uploading more each week that Vimeo give me more space to fill.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hidden Mother posted:

South Wales Massive! I'm friends with members of Saturday's Kids/Plaids so I'm guessing we've been in the same room a fair few times. Seems like everyone involved in that scene has moved away though, a friend of mine puts on gigs in Cardiff when he's home from Uni and it all seems pretty dead.

Haha, we probably have been! I've been running that daft place for over 10 years now... makes me feel old! I haven't really been to many shows in the last few years, but going through all my tapes has brought back happy memories. There's a gig in Le Pub on Friday I might go up to - EXPIRE, ROTTING OUT and TRIAL & ERROR. Don't know them, but hopefully I can drag myself on to the train.

Unfortunately, I think most of the people in the scene have simply moved on as opposed to moved away. Everyone active in doing shows, playing in bands etc when I was in my 20s was from or near Cardiff and Newport as opposed to people who'd move 'back home' or go somewhere for uni. Too many clashes between people in a really niche scene just causes problems. I probably don't know most of the people active in the hardcore scene here now, but I hope it's in a better state than when I left it. The mid 2000s were ace (and the late 90s/early 2000s were equally great for the punk scene here).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Never really understood the love for DTN, they used to play here often (well, as often as a US band could realistically play the UK) but always found them a bit average. They were definitely embroiled in local rivalries and issues back in Virginia too as they were involved in clashes with a friends band.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dickeye posted:

I figured Punk in Drublic would be assumed, but yeah I think So Long is their other best album, partly because even the bad songs are over in 75 seconds, and the best song is Champs Elysees.

Weird, I've never heard anyone having So Long as their 'go to' NOFX album. Might be an age thing? Most of my friends cite White Trash while I'm in the minority for going to Punk In Drublic because it was the first record of theirs I had.

Champs Elysees is a great track though. I think The Malachi Crunch off Ribbed is my favourite track of theirs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone else still like Thursday? For some reason I go years without hearing their released albums, presume I will hate it then stick it on and really like it. Happened with War All The Time, and now I just put on No Devolución for the first time and it seems pretty solid. I never even bothered looking if they put anything else out after WATT, so there's another 2 records I'll probably end up liking.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone in South Florida? Moved here from UK and seems to be somewhat of a scene here between Ft Lauderdale, where I live, and Miami. I don't drive (inner city life) and can't get a permit until my paperwork goes through, but would like to get back into going to some gigs after being absent for the last few years. I don't know a single person in this place yet, I'm kind of used to being able to turn up to a show on my own and bump into a ton of people I know and have a great night, but did that at Poison the Well the other night and was pretty bored for the first few hours. Help!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, seems they're very much still the centers of what goes on here. Gonna keep my eyes peeled though, I've seen a label based down here (Eighty Sixed, seems like your typical small hxc label) and some smatterings of shows. I see the distances involved, and I feel old ha.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did you go to the Curbed show in Churchills last night? It looked fun. I'm hoping my svelte British accent goes down well in a place that hangs a huge Union Jack up ha. (Coincidentally, that would be a massive red flag (no pun intended) back home. Would scream of it being a National Front friendly place!)

Yeah Kreepy Tiki looks cool, I've seen a few listings for there. I need to see the Uber cost to get there. God I wish there was a workable public transport system here. I do live right on a bus route at least, but it looks so awfully slow.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That 'Adventures on VHS' tape that came out in the 90s completely sold me on Millencolin. I'd liked the few tracks I'd heard by then enough and the novelty of having something about punk rock I could actually watch was cool.

See also: that Face to Face tape I had too. drat, Face to Face are so good. Probably one of the best punk bands I caught for just being totally tight and putting on a solid show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MxPx were always my go to, too. Also 'Magnified Plaid' is just an odd name.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is this the same reddit lot who were convinced a second Kendrick Lamar record was going to drop 3 days after drat.? Not a good track record.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bape Culture posted:

It sounds like an oasis song

drat, that bad?

(I never cared about Brand New anyway).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Discount were one of my favorite bands, Alison changed course for a messier future after but man Half Fiction is just amazing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My sources tell me they were paid with a clean, fresh, Zimbabwean $1,000,000 bill.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We've just hit peak 2017. Someone complaining about the amount of money that Jawbreaker might have in their bank account.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ferrule posted:

Warped Tour is over after next year and I, for one, couldn't be happier.

They probably assume all the bands will be in jail by then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh god what has Kill Your Idols done?!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.allmusic.com/year-in-review/2017/favorite-punk

Here's one to start. That AFI record seemed to turn up on a bunch of lists, so I might have to give it a whirl. Not really cared that much since (the amazing) The Art of Drowning, but maybe I'll super dig it. I think I read more comparisons to Decemberunderground though which was only OK.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ferrule posted:

If you're an old fart and like good music, The Descendents are going out on a fairly big tour.

http://descendents.tumblr.com

Yeah I’m stupid excited. I’ve not had chance to see them before and they’re definitely a bucket list band and theyre playing at a decent sized venue in my town. Can’t wait.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Descendents tickets rolled in around $50 each after fees and bullshit. Milo Goes to Hawaii etc. Should be worth every penny though.

We have bar Eyehategod / Cro-Mags tour 2 weeks before too, so not a bad month for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drat, yeah.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The original hard times articles are great, always a perfect blend of people who are obviously knee deep in a scene and able to spot the funny stuff about it. The spinoffs? Eh, they hit well every so often but a lot of it is bad. If the capture the magic of the original site, I’m in.

It also kinda surprises me we’re 10+ more years into streaming media personalities and I don’t think I’ve ever really seen a funny punk show or anything that even tries.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nah, they were a diamond in the rough of a scene full of shite.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Similarly one of the guys in Fallout Boy was a member of Race Traitor and Vegan Reich.

James Dewees formerly of Coalesce went on to be in Get Up Kids, Reggie and the Full Effect, and My Chemical Romance amongst others.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I never cared for them one bit, that whole era of terrible loving bands.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

angrygodofjebus posted:

I've seen them three times in the last year or so as well, but they never played Paris in Flames so I can't wait for that.

That kinda blows my mind. If Metallica can play Master of Puppets every night for 30+ drat years, they can play PiF.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how TBA has one of the better hardcore logos on there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Descendents cost me $47 in a bar that charged $8 for a can of beer. That was an expensive (but good) night.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gotta make that million bucks somehow.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I feel I’m old enough I would’ve hated most of the bands in 2002/2003 too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Actually a surprising amount there I like, I thought it become all Taking Back Sunday and that wave of stuff I couldn’t stand by that point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Phlegmish posted:

I really liked Anti-Flag back in the day, despite Justin Sane's somewhat whiny vocals and lyrics. Still relisten to them from time to time, they were good.

I used to film shows, and when Anti Flag played one of their guys shut me down over it. I put the camera down and he laughed at me and told me to go ahead. Seemed like good guys, and a New Kind of Army was always fun (and something I’ve not listened to in years, I should change that).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My favorite one was the hippos

Their first record was great. I can’t remember if we got into them because we saw them play locally, or if someone just passed a CD around but it’s a fun time album for sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not sure of the lyrical content (although I can guess), but one of the local bands here in SFL could be up your street - ECOSTRIKE. Seem to be making a good name for themselves too, which is cool.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/voice-of-strength/1356515346?uo=4

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hell yes, Thursdays tour hits my town next year. These things tend to sell out pretty quick yeah? Gotta find $100 or something by Friday then if I wanna do both dates. Which is frustrating as I have tickets to a hockey game on the War All the Time night that I don’t think I can get back fast enough from. Dilemmas!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kvlt! posted:

Anyone know any more good French hardcore?

The little I've heard of Daïtro I really dug, so this reminds me I need to grab one of their records and give them a proper listen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When Thursday do their multiple-night bookings, I'm guessing it's essentially the same gig with regards to support acts except Thursday play a different record? I'm going to both locally, but will probably try to get to day 2 just before Thursday come on if that's the case (rushing back from a hockey game the other side of the county).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool that’s what I thought. Makes my life a little easier at least, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Scenecore thread is archived I’m guessing.