Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Zekky posted:

Got a few months before I start a new job and I want to use it to brush up on my Python skills, especially data analysis. Can anyone recommend any good books or online courses ideally focusing on the SciPy/NumPy stack? I've done a few online courses so I'm familiar with all the components but I'd like something a bit more in-depth and advanced than what's available on EdX. Thanks!

Do your own project and put it on your github for next time you're looking for a job. Write a library, do some analysis of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

If you're trying to join / merge tables, you definitely should be using Pandas.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

Where does one even get CSV-formatted data nowadays? Excel exports?

Database dumps and the output of various processes destined to be loaded into redis or other database tables because our VP of engineering wants the data to be "human readable".

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Also half the size of the equivalent json.

There are definitely better arbitrary serialization formats (avro) but you can do a lot worse. I'm curious what format Thermopyle is consuming data in.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

I don't disagree with anything QuarkJets said, but if your c dependency needs to be built against a different target you're probably going to want a full vm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

9-Volt Assault posted:

Love it that we now have 2 python threads. Feels just like real life!

There's a joke about the GIL in there somewhere.

• Locked thread