Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I came in here today to ask about IDEs with Django, to see that it has already been addressed. At work I primarily use ASP.NET with visual studio, and although at home I prefer to use Django, I'm a bit spoilt by how easy it is in VS to trace through my code. I've downloaded WingIDE for the trial, but anything less than the professional version is next to useless for me, and it's a bit much to pay considering I'm just tinkering with it at home.

Have people had any good experiences with Eclipse + pydev? The pydev author has a guide on getting it going for Django here, but it's the only IDE I haven't tried yet as I remember Eclipse as slow and bloated a few years ago. I'm sure it's better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

deep square leg posted:

Have people had any good experiences with Eclipse + pydev? The pydev author has a guide on getting it going for Django here, but it's the only IDE I haven't tried yet as I remember Eclipse as slow and bloated a few years ago. I'm sure it's better now.
Turns out that Eclipse is pretty awesome now. Also my new computer is 2.7GHz faster than the one I used to have, so that may have contributed.

I managed to get Eclipse+Pydev to run the django development server, do autocomplete, syntax highlighting etc. but it completely ignores my breakpoints and watches. These work fine in WingIDE, which is frustrating because now I want to use Eclipse.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Sgt. Raisins posted:

While maybe not a full blown IDE, Komodo Edit is really nice for both python and django. It works with django out of the box and allows you to make projects for easy organization, code completion, and custom highlighting. I really like it. Also, it is free unlike it's partner Komodo IDE.

Thanks for this, but I was really after the advanced debugging features of a full-blown IDE. For the record, I just couldn't get pydev to recognise breakpoints in eclipse, so I went with Wing IDE. The personal version does appear to have most of what I want, anyway.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Maybe they want to spur sales by putting it up as a preview.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
At work I use Visual Studio all day, so I'm getting to know it inside out. For my Django project at home I've used every type of IDE, and while I've come to appreciate WingIDE I still miss Visual Studio.

Has anyone tried to Django using VS and IronPython (or IronPython Studio)? I'm sure I could edit files in it easily enough, but I'd want to be able to debug with it as well. I'll give it a go when I have time in a few days, but I wanted to see if others had tried it.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
cLin: I don't think you can go past the official Python tutorial, at least to start with. The essential reading list linked earlier by m0nk3yz looks good, but I haven't read all of what it suggests, yet.

I think that Python is the most beautiful and clean of the languages, but it has one thing that I really hate - double underscores ("dunders") for name mangling. There has to be a prettier way to do that.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Does anyone know of any 64-bit python database back-ends for windows? I've just installed Vista x64 and this has put a stop to my django tomfoolery. I prefer postgres but any database will do at this stage. Looks like I'll have to run it in vmware again :(

edit: even if someone can explain what I'll need to do to compile a 64-bit version of win-psycopg I'd be grateful. http://www.stickpeople.com/projects/python/win-psycopg/index.html

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
In early 1996 I was sixteen and browsing a local BBS (at the time the Internet was a long-distance call from me) where I found a folder called Python. I downloaded a few files because I thought it was Monty Python.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
For people like me who go weeks merely checking their subscribed threads, ATLbeer started a Django thread.

• Locked thread