Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Ncurses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Suspicious Dish posted:

I can't even begin to imagine how ROT13 would map to languages without twenty-six characters. And arithmetic wouldn't help you there, either. You'd need a table, although it'd be a large one.

Just like you can rot13 both upper and lowercase of course! Actually that means you can make a ROT-n function generator. How useful.

edit:

The Gripper posted:

doing a plain ROT-n on the unicode character set would give you strings of characters outside the source language unless you used a table

They are valid, insomuch that the unicode/utf-8 standard defines that programs should print incorrect characters anyway. Like you said, you could remember the unused char positions in some kind of table. Which would be not in the spirit of rot13 but an unavoidable necessity if the aim is secure crypto.

karms fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 11, 2012

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Talk about premature optimization. Really, if your aim is to write fast code before readable why write it in a language that puts the emphasis on working the other way round?

(Yes, the google university code is legible but it's not as simple as gmq's.)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Look up where() in the numpy docs.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ZombieIsland posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys, And thanks for telling me about the A/T Thread, Defiantly going to try it.
Edit- Hey guys I have a quick question. What is the difference between doing this equation 6+7, and this equation 6 + 7, Why the spaces? Does it matter at all? I've seen in the book you guys suggested the book does this. Is there any specific reason?

It's minimal, but easier to read with spaces when you're looking at a screen filled with code. (Also PEP8)

EgoEgress posted:

Just started learning Python two days ago. I've been using the free book A Byte of Python, but I've been seeing a lot of recommendations for Learn Python the Hard Way and I'm wondering if it's worth switching. Does anyone have experience with both books and can give me a rec either way?

It's a book. Assuming you have some critical thinking skills, you can read them both at the same time! I'm being a bit snarky here because, well, it's a book. You're not picking out an expensive house to live in. It has letters and words and you read it. Hell, both are 100% free! You can't go wrong here.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Dren posted:

I did not know that d[2, 1] would be treated as a dictionary lookup on a tuple. I assumed you'd have to do d[(2, 1)].

It's the same reason why a, b = b, a works. :)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

QuarkJets posted:

It's pretty similar to the old atoi and atof functions that C has

This is how php names its functions. Do you really want to draw that comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Don't use git, use mercurial.

• Locked thread