Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
The stoner/doom thread has worked out so well, it seems time for a dedicated :black101: thread again. I don't really know how best to kick off a genre thread, so let's start by throwing out some Best of Black 2007s and recent listenings.

I hereby nominate Sworn - The Alleviation for black album of the year. It's arguably the closest thing we have to Windir's greatness right now. Great drumming, interesting guitar work, and no keyboards shoved to the front of the mix. I can't think of a bad song on the album. The title track had been my uncontested favorite track, but Heart of Decay is every bit as awesome. This is definitely a band where all the members are listening to each other and playing off it.

Sworn is loving going places :)

BIG fan of this melodic black poo poo coming out of norway and sweden these days. Sigtyr, Sworn, Vreid, Galar, I'm a kid in a candy store these days.

Also a strong contender is Darkthrone's FOAD. Canadian Metal alone makes the album a must have. Good and underproduced, even if the vocals sound like they were recorded somewhere else and mixed differently from the band, it all rules. Underproduced and dirty, even HUMOR from a black metal band. Is that a King Diamond wail they pull at the end or a canadian I can't think of? It seems to me they have someone in mind for the song but the King doesn't fit the bill.

On the melodic front, I just got a hold of Iskald's Shades of Misery. Fans of the genre should enjoy this. I'm only on my first listen, kinda quiet at work, but I'm again finding a pleasant lack of keyboards and some sinister melodies at work.
http://www.myspace.com/iskald

And doesn't it figure Gorgoroth whips up bullshit internal drama right when I come around to them. Ad Majorem got me into them and by the sounds of things it will be their last album together. Which of the two sides is largely responsible for their music, or do they actually all contribute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I came in here to praise FOAD but it seems I was beaten before there was even a first post. While it might not be straight, or tr00, Black Metal, it's still drat awesome. I think it's technically "Black N Roll" but that's probably just being pedantic. I'm not a huge fan of Black Metal, yet, but FOAD is really fun and awesome.

My other nomination, if they count, is Sigh - Hangman's Hymn. They still seem to be somewhat Black Metal at least, and it's one of my top contenders for album of the year. It's one of the craziest albums I've ever heard, and I just can't stop listening to it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

FOAD is what metal is supposed to be. So awesome.

Anyway yeah, black metal. New Mutiilation is the best BM album so far this year.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

I'll probably get poo poo because they aren't true black metal or whatever, but Wolves in the Throne Room, especially their newest album loving rules.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Technetium posted:

I came in here to praise FOAD but it seems I was beaten before there was even a first post. While it might not be straight, or tr00, Black Metal, it's still drat awesome. I think it's technically "Black N Roll" but that's probably just being pedantic. I'm not a huge fan of Black Metal, yet, but FOAD is really fun and awesome.

My other nomination, if they count, is Sigh - Hangman's Hymn. They still seem to be somewhat Black Metal at least, and it's one of my top contenders for album of the year. It's one of the craziest albums I've ever heard, and I just can't stop listening to it.

I'm a big fan of the black'n'roll sound. Not as much as the fanboy I seem to be for the new melodic movement, but I like where it's going. IXXI is doing it well too, but FOAD is hands down the best example of it yet, I think.

Satyricon might have helped start it, but they've been trumped by just about everyone to do it after them.

I have to give Sigh another listen. I first heard them when I was practically anti-black metal, but I should try again now that I'm warming up to it all.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Morbid Florist posted:

I have to give Sigh another listen. I first heard them when I was practically anti-black metal, but I should try again now that I'm warming up to it all.

What really got me into Sigh was just how much there is going on in the music. There's lots of different elements that somehow don't manage to drown out others, making it into a chaotic yet fluent listen. It's definitely something that you need to listen to a few times to really appreciate it.

As for black metal, I don't dabble in it very much, but I can't give enough praises to "Incipit Satan" by Gorgoroth. There's just so many memorable riffs and Gaahl hasn't given a performance like the one on here since. However, you can't hear the bass :(. Why can't I hear King Ov Hell? Why?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

mr.vj posted:

What really got me into Sigh was just how much there is going on in the music. There's lots of different elements that somehow don't manage to drown out others, making it into a chaotic yet fluent listen. It's definitely something that you need to listen to a few times to really appreciate it.

Sounds like something best taken with a touch of :350:?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mr.vj posted:

As for black metal, I don't dabble in it very much, but I can't give enough praises to "Incipit Satan" by Gorgoroth. There's just so many memorable riffs and Gaahl hasn't given a performance like the one on here since. However, you can't hear the bass :(. Why can't I hear King Ov Hell? Why?

You should get the first two albums. Infinitely better and both are classics.

About Sigh, their new album isn't even remotely black metal, but yeah they're great. Everything they've done is awesome and original.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

IntoTheNihil posted:

You should get the first two albums. Infinitely better and both are classics.

I have their discography, and I like their debut and follow-up, but there's just something about "Incipit Satan" that just sticks with me. I'm also going to say that the beginning of "Carving a Giant" off of "Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam" is probably one of the best things black metal has to offer.

Morbid Florist posted:

Sounds like something best taken with a touch of :350:?

Now that would be overdoing it. I think if you did that while listening to "Hangman's Hymn", then your brain might melt. For some reason I get the feeling that you'd be seeing thousands of tie dye nooses coming for you.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mr.vj posted:

I'm also going to say that the beginning of "Carving a Giant" off of "Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam" is probably one of the best things black metal has to offer.

:eek: You're a crazy guy to think that, haha.

I guess i'm alone in liking the straightforward super raw BM bands? I never hear talk of them around these forums

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

IntoTheNihil posted:

:eek: You're a crazy guy to think that, haha.

Hahaha, for some reason the beginning just almost has this death metal feel, and since that's my main genre of choose, it really draws me in.

quote:

I guess i'm alone in liking the straightforward super raw BM bands? I never hear talk of them around these forums

I'm sure you're not the only one. There's tons of people around here that have found the deepest and darkest black metal out of troll forests. I for one don't really care for the whole "super raw" thing, because the production really hurts my ears. I'm more of a fan of the "blastbeat" oriented black metal like Dark Funeral.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mr.vj posted:

I'm sure you're not the only one. There's tons of people around here that have found the deepest and darkest black metal out of troll forests. I for one don't really care for the whole "super raw" thing, because the production really hurts my ears. I'm more of a fan of the "blastbeat" oriented black metal like Dark Funeral.

Dark Funeral :|

That's just bad.

But I can understand why you like that type (with being a big death metal fan and not a black metal fan)

barthelme
Jan 18, 2006
rising up rising down
french black metal continually surprises me. not only do you have the peste noire/alcest/amesours axis and deathspell omega (even though I didn't dig "Fas" as much as "Kenose" or their contribution to "crushing the holy trinity") in the past there was an extremely fertile scene centered upon vlad tepes/mutiilation/belketre.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

barthelme posted:

french black metal continually surprises me. not only do you have the peste noire/alcest/amesours axis and deathspell omega (even though I didn't dig "Fas" as much as "Kenose" or their contribution to "crushing the holy trinity") in the past there was an extremely fertile scene centered upon vlad tepes/mutiilation/belketre.

French BM is absolutely amazing. Probably the best around. LLN has gotten way too trendy but there's definitely great music that came from it.

Have you heard Oubliette? They're not French but have heavily French BM influenced music. Next to Basilisk it's my favorite BM. Very hard to find though. There's only around one rip on the internet and the only way to buy the two tapes is through todestrieb records.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 15, 2007

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

mr.vj posted:

I'm also going to say that the beginning of "Carving a Giant" off of "Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam" is probably one of the best things black metal has to offer.

That was the song that got me interested in the album. I heard it on the comcast metal channel, couldn't see the band at first, but when I saw it was Gorgoroth I was pretty surprised I liked it as much as I did.

I enjoy the alternating dynamic the rhythm has with the melody. Drums lay off for a beat, guitar is there filling the gap, and vice versa. Is it me or do the drums actually highlight the swing beats on 2 & 4, giving the album an almost violent groove? Or do I listen to blues and jazz so little now that I'm hearing 1 & 3 and reverting back to my native whiteboy rhythm?

mr.vj posted:

Hahaha, for some reason the beginning just almost has this death metal feel, and since that's my main genre of choose, it really draws me in.

Maybe that's why it grabbed me too. It's definitely not leaning towards what I traditionally think of black metal being anyway. I can't dig a wall of endless blastbeats and wails for 8 songs. Blastbeats to me are like buttfucking: fantastic when you need to get up to 11, but too much and it's endless streams of poo poo.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 15, 2007

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

No, sir, it's a spiked mace! :black101:

I've been on a huge Immortal kick lately, giving Sons of Northern Darkness another spin since my non-metalhead best friend bought me a copy for my birthday last year. A special edition copy, no less. Also, it turns out my cousin is a huge fan.

In recent black metal news, though, I hear the new Darkthrone is kind of poo poo. I haven't heard anything since The Cult Is Alive, and I liked that. Anybody heard the new one?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Goat Problem posted:

In recent black metal news, though, I hear the new Darkthrone is kind of poo poo. I haven't heard anything since The Cult Is Alive, and I liked that. Anybody heard the new one?

It's the best metal album in a long time. In my opinion it's flawless.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

The Goat Problem posted:

3/6 posters have raved about it in the 2 hours the thread's been open. Your source is a shithead.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
You're all wrong because the new Countess album is the best album of the year.

Pocolog
Feb 21, 2007

MrBling posted:

Did you get one of the 666 hand-numbered copies?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Pocolog posted:

Did you get one of the 666 hand-numbered copies?

Yes. Which is not so odd since that those are the only versions that exist so far.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The Goat Problem posted:

whoever your source is, punch him in the face

then buy the new darkthrone album

in that order

Sarrin
Jul 12, 2007

I'm awful when it comes to keeping up with new music, but I really enjoyed Bone Awl - Meaningless Leaning Mess. Very dirty and punkish, similar to Ildjarn but even better in my opinion. Perhaps the most impressive thing about them is that they're a black metal band from California that doesn't suck rear end. :aaa:

F.O.A.D. also rules, as did The Cult is Alive. Crush all naysayers!

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

MrBling posted:

I'll believe it when I listen to it. :colbert: Sigh's album is going to be pretty hard to top.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I have to whore out Primitive Graven Image because one of the guys is a buddy of mine. Two English brothers making some really grim poo poo. I have the album sitting on my desk somewhere and it's one of my favorites. Also, you can download their demo for free on their website.

http://www.pgimetal.com/ :black101:

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?
The latest Anaal Nathrakh album is worthy of mentioning in here. It beats Eschaton, in my opinion.

Sturmtiger IV
Jun 20, 2004

So is that thing a robot or a monkey or what
Skeletonwitch's new album Beyond The Permafrost is all I've been listening to the last week. I love thrash with my black, anyone got similar recommendations?

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I'm really enjoying the new Count Nosferatu Kommando. Ultraviolence was excellent and I think they out did themselves on this one. Anyone else familiar with them?

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Morbid Florist posted:

And doesn't it figure Gorgoroth whips up bullshit internal drama right when I come around to them. Ad Majorem got me into them and by the sounds of things it will be their last album together. Which of the two sides is largely responsible for their music, or do they actually all contribute?

King had been writing most of the last few albums (ever since he joined for Incipit Satan, really) and all of Ad Majorem. Basically, King wrote all the music for Ad Majorem alone, with no creative input from Infernus at all. Infernus basically just recorded his guitar parts. Gaahl, of course, wrote and recorded his vocals right before he did that stint in prison.

Infernus, with the exception of one or two songs along the way, hasn't been doing much of the songwriting since Destroyer. That, on top of his allegedly being belligerent and disrespectful to basically about everyone, is the reason why they want to continue without him.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Sturmtiger IV posted:

Skeletonwitch's new album Beyond The Permafrost is all I've been listening to the last week. I love thrash with my black, anyone got similar recommendations?

Go out and buy the new Watain album Sworn to the Dark - now! It's a good mix of thrash/black metal.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Auritech posted:

King had been writing most of the last few albums (ever since he joined for Incipit Satan, really) and all of Ad Majorem. Basically, King wrote all the music for Ad Majorem alone, with no creative input from Infernus at all. Infernus basically just recorded his guitar parts. Gaahl, of course, wrote and recorded his vocals right before he did that stint in prison.

Infernus, with the exception of one or two songs along the way, hasn't been doing much of the songwriting since Destroyer. That, on top of his allegedly being belligerent and disrespectful to basically about everyone, is the reason why they want to continue without him.

Oh so Infernus is one faction, Gaahl and King are the other? I see.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Morbid Florist posted:

Oh so Infernus is one faction, Gaahl and King are the other? I see.

Pretty much. Also, though Gaahl and King control the main website and the Gorgoroth myspace account, I think they may be prepared for a name change if they have to since the website is now "theforcegorgoroth.org."

And re-reading that post, I should try posting less whilst just awakening, I make a lot of redundant statements. :(

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

kirkjames posted:

I'll probably get poo poo because they aren't true black metal or whatever, but Wolves in the Throne Room, especially their newest album loving rules.

Yeah, I'm digging this too even though I don't think most people in here would approve.

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

I'm not a huge metalhead or anything, and I really dont know much about the genre or scene, but I do enjoy listening to a lot of the stuff I've been reccommended. That being said, Taake is some of the most amazing metal I've ever heard, and strongly suggest everyone checks them out. Hopefully someone with real metal cred can back this up, and validate my suggestion.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Auritech posted:

Pretty much. Also, though Gaahl and King control the main website and the Gorgoroth myspace account, I think they may be prepared for a name change if they have to since the website is now "theforcegorgoroth.org."

And re-reading that post, I should try posting less whilst just awakening, I make a lot of redundant statements. :(

I'm enough of a pothead that I didn't even notice, also first thing this morning :) hooray morning after sedation!

Too much information is rarely a bad thing for music. Glad to see the two creative forces behind the band are together though. With all the noise about it in the metal thread it sounded like neither side would be the real drive behind the band.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 16, 2007

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Morbid Florist posted:

Too much information is rarely a bad thing for music. Glad to see the two creative forces behind the band are together though. With all the noise about it in the metal thread it sounded like neither side would be the real drive behind the band.

What I find hilarious is that Infernus is such a pretty boy and bitch about the whole thing. Seriously, his "pact with Satan during 1992" is probably just some bullshit he thought up on the spot to try and garner some sympathy from the fans. It's quite obvious that he hasn't done poo poo for the past 7 or 8 years, so I hope that Gaahl and King continue on with the Gorgoroth name.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

MrBling posted:

I was pretty surprised, I liked Spawn of Steel but Holocaust of the God Believers didn't do much for me and I kind of figured this would be more of the same. But Blazing Flames of War is pretty great and changes the sound up a bit (though there's still no question that you're listening to Countess). Countess and Darkthrone are going to be up there for me this year.

I also like Darkestrah's Epos though I think I preferred Embrace of Memory's more digestible track lengths to Epos's monolithic 33 minute track with lengthy ambient intro and outro.

Hydrac7 posted:

Yeah, I'm digging this too even though I don't think most people in here would approve.
I don't think Wolves in the Throne Room are bad, they just didn't seem all that great to me, so it's kind of weird to see them getting all this press.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

het posted:

Countess and Darkthrone are going to be up there for me this year.

With that kind of praise I think I should check out Countess

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Morbid Florist posted:

With that kind of praise I think I should check out Countess
Countess is really good; you'd love it. Haven't heard the new album, though.

I'm a big fan of the new Darkthrone, and it's so much fun I can't stop listening to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnacle Snatcher
Aug 19, 2006

All things began in order so shall they end, so shall they begin again according to the Ordainer of Order and the mystical mathematicks of the City of Heaven.
Haven't listened to the new Darkthrone album yet, I wish they would go back to the Soulside Journey days :(.

As far as good black metal goes, I'm going to pimp Grand Alchemist and Bishop of Hexen. Check both bands out if you like symphonic black metal at all. Oh, the latter band is from Israel.

As far as album of the year goes, eah, I can't get enough Sworn. The Beauty of my Funeral is the best song on the album, fo sho'.