Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Richard Blaine posted:

I'm hoping for some metal suggestions. I really really liked Therion - Secret of the Runes and Otyg and Lumsk. Any other bands like that - sort of folk/viking metal with epic themes? Anything in English like this that is good?

This is kind of the wrong thread for this stuff, but you'd like Týr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Richard Blaine posted:

I'm hoping for some metal suggestions. I really really liked Therion - Secret of the Runes and Otyg and Lumsk. Any other bands like that - sort of folk/viking metal with epic themes? Anything in English like this that is good?

Please tell me that you've checked out the unholy trinity of Borknagar, Vintersorg, and Solefald. This is what you're looking for, and the aforementioned Vintersorg was the lead guy behind Otyg, and now currently screams for Borknagar.

And they do sing in English, to varying degrees of success.

Also, the main Metal Megathread could give you pointers as well. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2602615 - here it is!

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 12, 2007

Richard Blaine
Apr 25, 2007

World's
Dumbest,
Lamest
Avenger
Truth. Justice. A++ Feedback.

cryme posted:

This is kind of the wrong thread for this stuff, but you'd like Týr.

Sorry, I'm not really sure what black metal is and is not. Thanks for the suggestion.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Another gem recommended by Cosmo Lee today: Ash Pool - World Turns on its Hinge. Here's the blurb, although I know many of you don't like this lo-fi stuff.

http://invisibleoranges.com/2007/12/ash-pool-world-turns-on-its-hinge.html

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

I LIKE TO KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY - WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

Richard Blaine posted:

You should definitely check out Ásmegin! They have the really folkish theme going, but lots of extremity at the same time. Also, the singer from Solefald/Age of Silence did a lot of vocals on the only album they've released so far. Great stuff. Seems like he's no longer in the band, though.

I think you can find some samples on their website, http://www.asmegin.com

See if you like it.

Edit: I guess you could try Ensiferum too. Not half bad. http://www.myspace.com/officialensiferum

alkali fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 13, 2007

Richard Blaine
Apr 25, 2007

World's
Dumbest,
Lamest
Avenger
Truth. Justice. A++ Feedback.

alkali posted:

You should definitely check out Ásmegin! They have the really folkish theme going, but lots of extremity at the same time. Also, the singer from Solefald/Age of Silence did a lot of vocals on the only album they've released so far. Great stuff. Seems like he's no longer in the band, though.

I think you can find some samples on their website, http://www.asmegin.com

See if you like it.

Edit: I guess you could try Ensiferum too. Not half bad. http://www.myspace.com/officialensiferum

Thanks, going to check these out now!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

If you want some folkish metal, I know it's not BM, but if you want some really loving awesome get-drunk-and-party folk metal, check out Korpiklaani. It sounds like it's along the lines of what you're looking for (and Týr, Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, and Ensiferum tend to get recommended to me in the same breath anyway).

LlamaGod
Sep 15, 2005
Can anyone recommend anything similar to Borknagar's first album or Fjoergyn(which I found thanks to this thread). I really like the melodic/symphonic black metal stuff a lot. Thanks.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Has anyone heard any more details on IXXI's new album, Assorted Armament? Thier website really isn't providing us with any clues.

edit: ..and the Gorgoroth drama split continues!!!

Regain Records has issued the following press release:

“Regain Records has finally decided how to go further with the GORGOROTH matter. Regain Records will continue the co-operation with the band’s original member Infernus with a new line-up. This new line-up will be announced by Infernus through the new official website. Regain Records recognizes Infernus as the rightful owner of the bands name, logo and trademark, and is prepared to take any legal steps necessary to prevent any third party from exploiting it, artistically and commercially.”

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 14, 2007

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

kirkjames posted:

Can anyone reccommend some black metal like Wolves in the Throne Room? I seem to be fitting that hipster definition really well, as I love Alcest and Wolves but can't stand the majority of black metal. I've tried listening to the older stuff (Mayhem, Immortal, Burzum, etc.) and a few newer things (Deathspell Omega) but I don't like any of it.

Windir is your best bet as far as wolves goes. I dicked around on their last.fm station and Agalloch stood out to me. Branching off more to the progressive side and less to the folk, Green Carnation is worth checking out. I can't guarantee anything though -- I'm really bad at suggestions.

brightfield posted:

Well, call me a hipster. My Bloody Valentine and Burzum are like my two favorite bands in the world. Seriously, though, I thought hipsters were dudes who wear skinny jeans and listened to Of Montreal while they're shopping at Urban Outfitters. Oh, wait, I actually do two of those things. drat, I really can't shake this hipster label. Oh, one last thing...Dimmu actually did have one or two decent albums. I'm not gonna hate on them because they totally sold out and became CoF wannabes.

Yeah, Stormblast and For All Tid were excellent no matter what anyone says. I just like to pretend the band broke up after releasing those albums.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse is exactly what Wolves In The Throne Room is trying to sound like. Listen to that on repeat.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

Drunken Lullabies posted:

[...] Green Carnation [...} I can't guarantee anything though -- I'm really bad at suggestions.

Green Carnation won't do at all if he's looking for something similar to WitTR, so yeah, that suggestion is a little off.

Bad Coffee
Oct 27, 2007
no thank you

kirkjames posted:

Can anyone reccommend some black metal like Wolves in the Throne Room? I seem to be fitting that hipster definition really well, as I love Alcest and Wolves but can't stand the majority of black metal. I've tried listening to the older stuff (Mayhem, Immortal, Burzum, etc.) and a few newer things (Deathspell Omega) but I don't like any of it.

Weakling - 'Dead As Dreams'

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
I may get crucified for saying this, but I was just listening to some of the new Alcest. Since I have never heard their "black metal" side (and I find it hard to believe they ever were), I rather dig their sound. It's just not BM. It's like a lot of the indie pop that I listen to. Well, let the arrows and crucifixes fly! I can take it.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

brightfield posted:

I may get crucified for saying this, but I was just listening to some of the new Alcest. Since I have never heard their "black metal" side (and I find it hard to believe they ever were), I rather dig their sound. It's just not BM. It's like a lot of the indie pop that I listen to. Well, let the arrows and crucifixes fly! I can take it.

I have heard Tristesse Hivernale and yes, they indeed once were quite black metal, but even then you get large hints that Neige wanted to go in the direction he eventually took Alcest. By no means could I consider Souvenirs remotely black metal, though, but I still love it no matter what genre one wishes to attach it to.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

brightfield posted:

I may get crucified for saying this

Alcest sounds exactly like filosfem era Burzum meets My Bloody Valentine. Although Niege swears in all of his grimness to have never heard of MBV before the album. All those indie bands you're talking about are trying to rip off MBV.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Souvenirs is okay. It's very, very far from his best though.

I have to suggest Tristesse Hivernale. I'd consider it his best work.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

IntoTheNihil posted:

Souvenirs is okay. It's very, very far from his best though.

I have to suggest Tristesse Hivernale. I'd consider it his best work.
It's sort of his best work if you don't like his aesthetic though. It's like saying Soulside Journey is Darkthrone's best album. Sure, I can see someone liking that over their others, but it's basically saying "I don't like Darkthrone very much".

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

DB_Cooper posted:

Alcest sounds exactly like filosfem era Burzum meets My Bloody Valentine.

I have to take exception to your comparison to Filosofem, considering Neige doesn't use twenty minute four note new age synths, repetitive and ultra-slow trebly riffs, or highly distorted yelps on the worst possible mic he can find on Souvenirs. Hell, Tir Nan Og is probably one of the tamest songs you can imagine and you could slip it in your mom's Celtic Sounds collection and she'd hardly be the wiser.

I know that isn't a ringing endorsement for the kvlt and grim, but Filosofem and Souvenirs d'un autre monde couldn't sound less alike.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

Auritech posted:

I know that isn't a ringing endorsement for the kvlt and grim, but Filosofem and Souvenirs d'un autre monde couldn't sound less alike.

They both have a fuzzed out ambience thats hard to deny. It definetly has that shoegazer bm sound that filosfem kicked off. Using a broken mic would have been the only way niege could have made the album better.

Das Funnee
Oct 4, 2000
It's been a pretty good time for new black metal.

The debut from Blood of Kingu is finally out, and in my opinion it is loving amazing. As mentioned earlier in the thread, this is a new project from Roman Saenko of Drudkh and Hate Forest with a focus on Egyptian and Sumerian mythology. The music is fast and aggressive while still managing to convey a certain epic quality, and the only vocals are some vaguely 'eastern'-sounding chanting in certain places. It doesn't get too gimmicky with the middle eastern themes, and takes a Nile-like approach instead by mostly keeping it to short interludes. It's still early, but based on my first few listens I really do think this ranks up there with some of Drudkh and Hate Forest's best. I highly recommend this one.

Thurios, the other guy behind Drudkh, has released a new album from his band Astrofaes called Idea. Form. Essence. More aggressive, occasionally folk infused black metal with plenty of blast beat. It's not exactly a departure for the band, but it's worth a listen if you like anything else Thurios is involved in.

Mieli Maassa by the Finnish band Häive is the most impressive folk-black debut I've heard in a long time. Fans of Wyrd, Agalloch, and Kampfar will all enjoy it.

It probably doesn't need to be said, but I think the new Amesoeurs track is great. It's definitely in the same vein as "Faiblesse des Sens", including vocals by Audrey Sylvain. I'm really looking forward to the full album.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

DB_Cooper posted:

Alcest sounds exactly like filosfem era Burzum meets My Bloody Valentine. Although Niege swears in all of his grimness to have never heard of MBV before the album. All those indie bands you're talking about are trying to rip off MBV.

Well, I don't really hear the Burzum in it, but definitely the MBV. No doubt, that's why I like it. That's also why I like A Place to Bury Strangers - a little like MBV meets Jesus & Mary Chain. If you want to hear Burzum + MBV, listen to Xasthur, Blut Aus Nord, or Striborg, to name a few. The Burzum + shoegaze combo is all the rage (luckily, I like it a lot).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Das Funnee posted:

It probably doesn't need to be said, but I think the new Amesoeurs track is great. It's definitely in the same vein as "Faiblesse des Sens", including vocals by Audrey Sylvain. I'm really looking forward to the full album.
I think it's decent but not really in the same ballpark with Faiblesse des Sens in terms of quality. It'll make a fine middle track on a full length but I'm hoping for something more catchy and more emotive.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Thanks to this thread I checked out Nieges other stuff than Alcest, and all of his bands kick serious rear end, Mortifera and Amesoeurs especially. I haven't listened to Peste Noire that much yet, but I'll def put all of this stuff on the mp3 player.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Peste Noire is by far the best. The new album isn't too great but the first is amazing.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Currently on, "As the Black Metal Drama Turns"...

GORGOROTH's GAAHL, KING Retain Ownership Of Band's Name And Logo - Dec. 19, 2007

King Ov Hell (real name: Tom Cato Visnes) and Gaahl (real name: Kristian Eivind Espedal) from the Norwegian black metal band GORGOROTH have issued the following statement:

"Norwegian authorities at Patentstyret (Norwegian patent office) have made the verdict on the dispute over the further use of the trademark and logo 'GORGOROTH.' It has been legally determined that King and Gaahl retain the rightful ownership and use of the name and logo, now and in the future.

"King and Gaahl will not give a detailed public statement on this verdict however they have both remained confident this result would indeed be the final conclusion.

"Any third parties who use the name GORGOROTH will from now on be met with legal prosecution.

"GORGOROTH, King and Gaahl, will not continue to work with Regain Records given their disloyal acts concerning GORGOROTH and are currently carefully choosing a new label for the release of their next full-length album.

"King and Gaahl are now focused on making music for the next album and with planning some very special shows for 2008. As previously announced, GORGOROTH will headline at Wacken Open Air."

GORGOROTH's current touring lineup includes Gaahl on vocals, King ov Hell on bass, Nick Barker (ex-DIMMU BORGIR, CRADLE OF FILTH) on drums, and Teloch (NIDINGR, UMORAL, 1349) and Sykelig on guitars.

As previously reported, GORGOROTH guitarist Infernus (real name: Roger Tiegs) — who is involved in a legal dispute with his estranged bandmates over the rights to the group's name — has launched the "official" web site and MySpace page for his version of GORGOROTH. According to a posting on the site, GORGOROTH's lineup "has been subject to several changes — about 25 different musicians have been involved with the band since its inception . . . GORGOROTH at present consists of Infernus as the sole permanent member, which means that no live appearances are planned for the immediate future. Infernus is busy finishing the material for the next full-length album, 'Quantos Possund Ad Satanitatem Trahunt', to be released on Regain Records. Some members have already been added to GORGOROTH's future lineup, and an announcement concerning this will be issued before long."

Sweden's Regain Records issued a press release last week stating that it would continue its co-operation with the band's original member Infernus with a new lineup. Regain Records "recognizes Infernus as the rightful owner of the bands name, logo and trademark, and is prepared to take any legal steps necessary to prevent any third part from exploiting it, artistically and commercially," the label said.

René Ackermann of Contraband Candy conducted an interview with King Ov Hell and Gaahl during the UK leg of the group's recently completed European tour. Topics include new drummers, the band's upcoming live album, their legendary Polish gig in Krakow and talks of staging another blasphemous gig in the future. Watch the 10-minute chat below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6MTCeJEWh8

(Sourced from Blabbermouth.com)

Wow! I must say, that I'm kind of surprised. I mean, the band did kind of originate under Infernus. Oh well! I suppose that Gaahl has some superiorly evil legal representation in that one horse village of his.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Wow! I must say, that I'm kind of surprised. I mean, the band did kind of originate under Infernus. Oh well! I suppose that Gaahl has some superiorly evil legal representation in that one horse village of his.

He's got Satan as his lawyer.

Necro Beer
Dec 25, 2006
So good, its deadly!

Dyna Soar posted:

So is the pact that Infernus signed with him in 1992 no longer legally binding? I guess he's not the Father of All Lies for nothing.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Dyna Soar posted:

*long pause, sips wine* Satan.

:v:

I just recently got into Taake and Wigrid and am having a hell of a time finding albums, but can anyone recommend anything that sounds like either of them?

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

Street Butler posted:

I just recently got into Taake and Wigrid and am having a hell of a time finding albums, but can anyone recommend anything that sounds like either of them?

Hmm. You could try Windir, I guess. Kind of comparable to Taake, but I haven't heard Wigrid. Take a listen to the Arntor album.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

alkali posted:

Hmm. You could try Windir, I guess. Kind of comparable to Taake, but I haven't heard Wigrid. Take a listen to the Arntor album.

I should've mentioned I checked out (and loved) Windir already. Wigrid is very slow, depressive black metal, kind of like Nortt but a little more melodic.

Nanook Rubs It
Jul 3, 2004
It puts the loition on it's skin... and rubs it... ohhhhh
I have been listening to Marduk's Rom 512 constantly today. What do you guys think about Marduk?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Nanook Rubs It posted:

I have been listening to Marduk's Rom 512 constantly today. What do you guys think about Marduk?

I think they're pretty good, although I like their singles alot. That cd however is especially fun to listen to.

Also don't tell me you guys don't like Make A Change... Kill Yourself. Their new cd is almost as good as the self titled :v:

Hung Yuri fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 21, 2007

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006
A friend and i have been talking about Skitliv a lot recently (maniac from mayhem, the guitarist of shining, etc). Being big on older doomy BM such as Bethlehem and Forgotten Tomb were hoping this continues in this direction.

http://www.myspace.com/skitliv777

http://youtube.com/watch?v=33MnTKrADcA&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HjE4au_tJNY

Flashlight Cop
Aug 19, 2007

Technetium posted:

I came in here to praise FOAD but it seems I was beaten before there was even a first post. While it might not be straight, or tr00, Black Metal, it's still drat awesome. I think it's technically "Black N Roll" but that's probably just being pedantic. I'm not a huge fan of Black Metal, yet, but FOAD is really fun and awesome.

My other nomination, if they count, is Sigh - Hangman's Hymn. They still seem to be somewhat Black Metal at least, and it's one of my top contenders for album of the year. It's one of the craziest albums I've ever heard, and I just can't stop listening to it.

Sigh is great! Their album this year was definitely one of the best in my opinion. I listen to it pretty regularly and at work a lot (a few coworkers have said this is the 'better' of the stuff I put on). It's all over the place without sounding like they're trying to be all over the place.

Dandy J
May 17, 2003

macro machines

IntoTheNihil posted:

Peste Noire is by far the best. The new album isn't too great but the first is amazing.
Also this EP - http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=68266 is the best thing they ever did imo. The same song is on other albums like their first full length and the rehersal, but this is by far the best version of their best song.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Is anyone else embarrassed for liking black metal? I constantly have to "soften" my taste of music for people that don't have the slightest interest in metal of any kind. I've had too many "Do you really listen to this noise/screaming" questions, so I just try to steer the conversation some other way.

I even wrote an article on Mayhem in the newspaper a few weeks ago, and when my coworkers were asking me afterwards if I listened to these "maniacs" I said "Oh no, I don't," and laughed.

I do. All the time.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.

Zedlic posted:

Is anyone else embarrassed for liking black metal? I constantly have to "soften" my taste of music for people that don't have the slightest interest in metal of any kind. I've had too many "Do you really listen to this noise/screaming" questions, so I just try to steer the conversation some other way.

I even wrote an article on Mayhem in the newspaper a few weeks ago, and when my coworkers were asking me afterwards if I listened to these "maniacs" I said "Oh no, I don't," and laughed.

I do. All the time.

I feel you. All the time people ask me "How can even stand that screamo crap? It's not even music!" And it's always by my friends who sit in their houses jerking off to Zeppelin and Floyd while using the adjective trippy every five minutes.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
What makes it even harder for me is the fact that over half of the bm bands I like are nazis, and I hate nazis. I don't want to get mixed with them in any way, but man they can do some pretty awesome music :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Dyna Soar posted:

What makes it even harder for me is the fact that over half of the bm bands I like are nazis, and I hate nazis. I don't want to get mixed with them in any way, but man they can do some pretty awesome music :(

If you like NSBM, but hate the nazi's (like me), then give Nokturnal Mortum a try if you haven't already. You won't be able to understand what they're saying unless you speak Ukrainian anyways.

And the lyrics aren't that NS anyways, just the band members themselves.