Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Has anyone here heard of Kromlek? I stumbled upon them a few days ago, and I'm surprised they haven't gotten much attention anywhere. They're basically a German black metal/folk band, and I can't get enough of them.

My favorites by them are Grim Omens and Strandhagg parts 1-3. I can't find anything for Grim Omens, but here's part 2 of Strandhagg live: http://youtube.com/watch?v=a6-hiA29hNw

Anyways, my black metal is seriously lacking when compared to my collection of other genres. My collection has most of the stuff by Arcturus, Emperor, Dissection, Empyrium, Summoning, Ulver, Windir, Moonsorrow, Primordial, Bathory, early Satyricon, early Dimmu Borgir, and Wolves in the Throne Room. I'm already looking into some of the bands posted about, but I'm sure I am missing some must-haves from the genre. Anyone mind filling the gaps? I know there's a song recommendation thread, but based on the size of this thread, there's probably not a big enough black metal following to get a good reply from that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

kirkjames posted:

Can anyone reccommend some black metal like Wolves in the Throne Room? I seem to be fitting that hipster definition really well, as I love Alcest and Wolves but can't stand the majority of black metal. I've tried listening to the older stuff (Mayhem, Immortal, Burzum, etc.) and a few newer things (Deathspell Omega) but I don't like any of it.

Windir is your best bet as far as wolves goes. I dicked around on their last.fm station and Agalloch stood out to me. Branching off more to the progressive side and less to the folk, Green Carnation is worth checking out. I can't guarantee anything though -- I'm really bad at suggestions.

brightfield posted:

Well, call me a hipster. My Bloody Valentine and Burzum are like my two favorite bands in the world. Seriously, though, I thought hipsters were dudes who wear skinny jeans and listened to Of Montreal while they're shopping at Urban Outfitters. Oh, wait, I actually do two of those things. drat, I really can't shake this hipster label. Oh, one last thing...Dimmu actually did have one or two decent albums. I'm not gonna hate on them because they totally sold out and became CoF wannabes.

Yeah, Stormblast and For All Tid were excellent no matter what anyone says. I just like to pretend the band broke up after releasing those albums.