Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
What's the opinion on Limbonic Art - Legacy of Evil? I bought it, and its great. It isn't as good as Moon or In abhorrence, but they know their poo poo. Its awesome.

In other news, I'm on a huge Mayhem wave at the moment. Man are they great!

Mordekai fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 18, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Is anybody here going to the Inferno Festival (https://www.infernofestival.net)?
I'm planning on saturday to see Destruction, and of course Shining.

And you guys really need to listen to Lifelover. Never has pain sounded so good.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Haha, this is the gayest band picture ever taken. They're called Törr and are from the Czech Republic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

I really can't get exited over a new Satyricon album. The last ones plus My throne is cold (sp?) was really uninteresting. But you never know...

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Death Rotisserie posted:

The new Lifelover album's been released. I think I'll like it at least as much as Erotik.

Konkurs is a masterpiece. Everything on that album is done right!

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

Black metal isn't supposed to put you to sleep.

Then I wouldn't call Amesoeurs BM either. There are elements of BM in their music, but it not fall under the black metal umbrella. There, everybody is happy.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

DB_Cooper posted:

The same exact thing was said about ved buens ende 12 years ago. Its like when hip hop people say something isnt "real".

This is the reason death metal sort of stagnated from the mid 90s to mid 00s. People wouldnt accept change so it was a bunch of bands repeating themselves or emulating someone else. At this point if theres no progression in black metal its done.

I was writing BM zines in the mid to late 90s and it seemed so full of potential and now its starting to seriously stagnate for various reasons but records will continue to be released because its an industry now. I've gone from finding 5 or 6 really good albums a year to maybe 1 or 2.

I think you misunderstand me. Though I won't call Amesoeurs BM, doesn't mean it's not better than 80% of the "true" BM that's released today. A lot of people today are creating new music by mixing genres rather than limiting themselves adhering to a set of arbitrary rules. The reason black metal was so powerful during the first and second wave was that it hadn't been done that many times before.

People doesn't mix other genres into BM to "save" it. they create new music.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Nasty Kerm posted:

I think bands should have the freedom to do what ever they want without besserweizers trashing them for it. Cant say I like the new Dimmu borgir sound( I hate it), but they were once pioneers of Norwegian black metal and I respect them for that. If they want to move in a certain direction then thats ok by me. Its their choice. They don't have to prove anything as far as I'm concerned. Same goes with Satyricon.

These bands, they evolved. They got married and got kids etc, and it had an impact on their music.

edit : Personally. I think NBM will die out in a about a decades time.

"true norwegian black metal" has been dead since 2000

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

666sinders666 posted:

Aren't there two Gorgoroths now? Aren't they in a battle over whether Gaahl and King can use the name or whether the name resides with Infernus? Black Metal dramarama etc?

And the 'Black Metal is DEAD!1!!!1' thing is so old.

And that 'once a band has more than 50 people liking them and they start selling CDs they have Sold Out and are not true Black Metal anymore' is another thing that is real boring and old too.

But then again - I like Symphonic Norwegian Black Metal, which isn't 'Kvlt' or 'Tru' Black Metal enough, or so I have been told by those who like to think of themselves as the elite.

I certainly don't mean that Black Metal is dead, but the phrase "true norwegian" black metal is redundant and worthless. Almost all BM coming out from Norway these days are boring crap. Yes there are great releases, but they don't play traditional "true" black metal.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So, uh Frost (aka Kjetil-Vidar Haraldstad) of Satyricon, 1349 and Gorgoroth fame would like to have a word with you...

Note: Picture taken from Peter Beste's book 'True Norwegian Black Metal'.

And how many albums that were worth listening to more than twice has those bands put out since 2000?

zero:ssh:

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Death Rotisserie posted:

The new Blut Aus Nord is loving fantastic. I was doubtful that Vindisval could put out a successor to Memoria Vetusta I but having listen to this album about half a dozen times, it really does feel like MVII. Definitely top 10 of 2009 material.

Holy poo poo yes!

I love every album from BaN (perhaps not Ultima Thulee), but Memoria Vetusta I has been the favourite. And they manage to create the same atmosphere on the new album. The opening riffs on Disciple's Liberation is loving great! Tingles down my spine.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

BranceMulliganPI posted:

What's the production like on that? Is it still awesomely weird?

More in the vein of Memoria Vetusta I. You can say the production is more traditional and clean. Also some people hate the programmed drums, but I find them awesome.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

het posted:

Lifelover :D

Owns loving hard.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

BosendorferIstKrieg posted:

Everyone needs to give ColdWorld a listen, though.

ColdWorld is awesome. Great album name too. Melancholie2

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

BranceMulliganPI posted:

I've been listening to the two Gris releases pretty much nonstop, with only occasional breaks for M83.

Of all the so-called "depressive" black metal, this is probably the best I've heard. Does anyone have an recommendations for obscure mid-tempo bm (other than Burzum) with this texture, atmosphere, and generally dour (though often pretty) atmosphere? This stuff is a great compliment to drinking Belgian-style Quebecois ales and mulling over regrets.

Check out Trist. Czech BM as depressive as it gets.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Not Very Metal posted:

What’s the consensus on Autopsy, the Blackened and Blackmetallilitto comps, Gospel of the Horns, Khors, and Tartaros?

Blackened 1 was the cd hat got me into real BM. There's a lot of snacks on the disc like Sigh, Tenebrarium Oratorium from the first Moonspell EP and of course Pagan Fears!

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

The Amesoeurs full lenght is out and it's brilliant. I can hear a lot of The Cure in the guitar sound. I'm sure most of you will hate it though :)

It is brilliant! Although there's hardly any black metal tunes on the record, the album is beautiful.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

Nah, Neige pulls it off. You're not the final authority in all things black metal btw, so stop acting like it.

Why do you care? Amesoeurs is definitely not Black Metal.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

The new album has songs that most definitely are :)

Correction. One black metal song. That doesn't make Amesoeurs a black metal band.

Hint:
Bands with female lead vocals are not BM.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

please tell me where all this info is from looks like i didnt get the memo

Give me an example wich proves me wrong then. And make it a good band if you can.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Ok, sorry. Female lead vocals do not belong in a good black metal band. If you can prove me wrong kudos to you.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Clothes Optional posted:

New Beherit album April 9th. Discuss.

This will be horrible. There's no way in hell Holocausto will be able to make a Beherit album 15 years after.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Whats up with the Shining hate. Shining live is always cool with Kvarforth doing all kinds of stupid stuff. And most of their music owns.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

I'd never heard of these guys before this all started here so I took a listen to their myspace tracks. The hate is justified. There's almost no black metal to be heard and what IS heard is a mix of pop metal and crying.

They played BM up until their fourth album. But V - Halmstad is even better thatn those

ElectricWizard posted:

Note: I've seen Kvarforth live with Shining, Den Saakaldte, Skitliv, and as a guest performer for Koldbrann. He does stupid poo poo, but the man knows how to put on an entertaining show.

I made out with Kvarforth (which had a razorblade in his mouth) on stage during a show in Oslo :gay:

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Not Very Metal posted:

I feel like I'm really loving late to the party here, but I just picked up Black Shining Leather by Carpathian Forest, and holy poo poo does this album rule.

Carpathian Forest owns. I really like the bass sound on most of their albums, it's clear and high in the mix. Adds a lot to the songs.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

ElectricWizard posted:

Is anyone else here planning to attend Under The Black Sun this year? Can hardly wait to catch Lifelover live, for their second time ever! :D

I'm going. Gonna see Lifelover for the second time too! You were at the stockholm gig too? Urfaust will own too.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

ElectricWizard posted:

Well, Lifelover just canceled their UTBS-performance. God damnit, and I can't cancel my airplane tickets. They better bring in a mind-blowing replacement or I will die inside.

WHAT. THE. gently caress!

Well, I'm not going then. Gonna catch the next show though, unless it's in South America. They are great live.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

ElectricWizard posted:

They've announced some more German shows, check their MySpace.

Well, gonna see if I can combine it with Wacken. Would like not to (ie. would really like) travel to Germany twice this summer.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

ElectricWizard posted:

They've announced some more German shows, check their MySpace.

Ah, just saw the dates. Prolly gonna se them then. They own live.

ElectricWizard posted:

Going by your avatar, do you know if Urfaust are worth seeing live? I'll probably try seeing them, Darkspace, and Darkmoon Warrior at UtBS.

The date of UtBS was kinda bad anyway, Urfaust was my other reason to go though. I'd love to see them live.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'm gonna check these guys out pronto!

So, tell me what I need to know about the group Beherit. I know they've released a slew of demos over the years with a few full length studio albums. After dabbling in the ambient/electro they've seemed to have put out their first black metal album in over 10 years called, Enham.

Where should I start and is it worth the effort?

You get Oath of the Black Blood and Drawing Down the Moon. They are milestones.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

stairway to hippo posted:

Anyone heard the new Immortal yet? I'm not a huge fan, but I'm sure it's worth a listen.

Its boring and bland. As expected.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Inferno lineup is poo poo this year.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

I don't really agree. Ballade cuntre lo Anemi Francor grew immensely on me. I hated it the first four or so playthroughs, now I think it's their second best full length.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Plasma1010 posted:

Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid always works for me as an example to others. Although it doesn't touch upon the Blast Beat aspect, I dont believe Black Metal is as rooted in Blast Beats alone. A lot of people on the outside like to look at Black Metal as the the "fastest, satanic, heaviest kind of music" which is why I think its better to give some other examples, rather then putting on Gorgoroth - Pentagram for them. I say For All Tid really is an over all example of how Black Metal initially spawned in Synth, Scream Vocals, Fast guitar, and lyrics pertaining to Nature / European History.

So I say play a few songs for your friend, so he can understand the spawning of a variation of Black Metal around the same time. Play for him something off of ... Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism, Darkthrone - Transylvania Hunger, Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid, Burzum self titled, Gorgoroth - Pentagram. I think that covers the fast, the blast beats, the synth, and the occasional satanic element. Bonus points for giving him Moonblood - Blut und Krieg.

You noob. It's Under the Sign og the Black Mark.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Not Very Metal posted:

I just got Behemoth's "And the Forests Dream Eternally," and "Grom."

If you don't like Behemoth as a death metal band, try these two albums out for Behemoth as a black metal band.

Go further back and check out Sventevith storming near the baltic. That's Behemoth at their best.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

drat, just looked through my newspaper and saw Nifelheim is doing a gig in my town tonight. :(
Together with a band from brazil called Volcano, who are "legendary", but aren't on Metal Archives. :confused:

Travel to Uppsala and check them out when they're coming back in a few weeks. You won't regret it.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

fozzie dunlop posted:

Black Metal Imperial Stout. Two of my favorite things in the world, together at last.

So lame

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

DethklokworkOrange posted:

Still, you'd at least be able to say you drank the absolute darkest stout on Earth. No small accomplishment.

Yeah, sure. And afterwards you can drink mead and listen to Alestorm. Epicness all around!

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

I guess we will get an album and an EP from Circle of Ouroborus. Which is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

fozzie dunlop posted:

Shut up and have fun, you big baby.

"No fun, no core, no mosh, no trends"

Please don't forget this again.

RHTITE posted:

Maybe Beherit

Let's hope not. Engram was so boring. There wil never be another Beherit album.