Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006
Theres rehearsal sessions of the ved buens ende reunion out there so those people that know why they're such an important band to black metal should be on the look out for them. Maybe einar will release some limited cd of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006
Forgotten tomb or bethlehem could be added to the "depressing black metal" list.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

What’s the general consensus on the Gorgoroth split?

I dont think them breaking up really matters much to anyone. They've been repeating themselves with every album for years to the point that even your average metal head hopes they do something different. Its sort of like darkthrone only darkthrone are more cheeky, sarcastic and drunken so at least theres redeeming qualities to the band.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006
The new darkthrone is called gently caress Off And Die. They're not even trying anymore but i guess being goofy is better than trying to be grim.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

IntoTheNihil posted:

They're actually making good music. Something most BM bands around now are failing so badly to do. It's nice to see them not turn to poo poo.

I definetly like their last couple records that went on a sort of punk detour along with the new one which is sort of a fun 80s homage.

People really got angsty over the punk albums but then again if you look into some of the very early BM (burzum comes to mind) theres definetly a punk sound in there. Maybe its just the sloppiness of playing or all the teenage anger.

Either way the current scene has deteriorated into mindless worship of kids recording on their 4 tracks in their parents basement and people calling it genius outsider bm (im looking at you aquarius records). I could blame xasthur for this but that would be to easy.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

i'm sure if you commented on a blabbermouth post with this you would show them all

I saw wolves open for Agalloch and just wondered "why are kids from washington playing emperor songs from nightside eclipse".

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

GreggN posted:

Heh, from what I understand, they live on a hippie commune. Is this the case?

Joe from vendlus said something to that effect.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

GreggN posted:

Heh, same person I heard it from.

I just remembered who you are hahah. Hows it going man?

<-- Lupus

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006
About the hipster thing, the real hipsters are listening to the most necro stuff these days. Check out aquarius records and the only thing they hype is urfaust or really anything that was produced in someones basement with incredibly bad drumming. Plus points if you get your bi-polar neighbor to do the vocals. They also constantly name drop how xasthur and leviathan come into their store and talk necro metal.

Also, the Alcest record was about the best post metal album this year. Niege is definetly the man as far as the french scene is concerned.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse is exactly what Wolves In The Throne Room is trying to sound like. Listen to that on repeat.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

brightfield posted:

I may get crucified for saying this

Alcest sounds exactly like filosfem era Burzum meets My Bloody Valentine. Although Niege swears in all of his grimness to have never heard of MBV before the album. All those indie bands you're talking about are trying to rip off MBV.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

Auritech posted:

I know that isn't a ringing endorsement for the kvlt and grim, but Filosofem and Souvenirs d'un autre monde couldn't sound less alike.

They both have a fuzzed out ambience thats hard to deny. It definetly has that shoegazer bm sound that filosfem kicked off. Using a broken mic would have been the only way niege could have made the album better.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006
A friend and i have been talking about Skitliv a lot recently (maniac from mayhem, the guitarist of shining, etc). Being big on older doomy BM such as Bethlehem and Forgotten Tomb were hoping this continues in this direction.

http://www.myspace.com/skitliv777

http://youtube.com/watch?v=33MnTKrADcA&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HjE4au_tJNY

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006
Dude, moving forward and innovating in metal is like totally gay. All black metal should sound like A Blaze In The Northern and Nattens Madringal. If you like keep on making me think with new music ill like declare black metal dead. [/herrr]

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I have to ask man. What's with the auto-bannings?

I think its the result of forgetting to take crazy pills or im slowly laundering money through SA.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

It's the saddest loving thing that K. Angylus died in june. RIP.

He killed himself.

Mordekai posted:

Then I wouldn't call Amesoeurs BM either. There are elements of BM in their music, but it not fall under the black metal umbrella. There, everybody is happy.

The same exact thing was said about ved buens ende 12 years ago. Its like when hip hop people say something isnt "real".

This is the reason death metal sort of stagnated from the mid 90s to mid 00s. People wouldnt accept change so it was a bunch of bands repeating themselves or emulating someone else. At this point if theres no progression in black metal its done.

I was writing BM zines in the mid to late 90s and it seemed so full of potential and now its starting to seriously stagnate for various reasons but records will continue to be released because its an industry now. I've gone from finding 5 or 6 really good albums a year to maybe 1 or 2.

DB_Cooper fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 12, 2008

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

If incorporating shoegaze and pop rock into black metal is all that will save it, hand me a box of nails and a hammer to drive the coffin shut. I'd rather see it die completely than go where death metal has.

So black metal is just a niche music genre for you and you arent interested in keeping it going because of personal taste...

You a singular person want to dictate how the entire genre sounds because its what you'd like to listen to? Tens of thousands of people are contributing to the genre but your opinion is more important.

I've been on multiple sides of the genre from writing zines when i was kid, making crappy music and helping Joe C. with vendlus so maybe my view is different.

Or are you just young and naive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

Black metal's entire purpose was to make music that wasn't accessible, but was raw, violent, as a push back against the watering down death metal took after it caught on. Basically what I see happening is that black metal is being led to slaughter of mediocrity and accessibility like death was.

There was plenty of weird noise/power electronics/industrial in scandinavia during the early 90s. I dont think being inaccessible was the purpose really unless you mean inaccessible in the sense that it wasnt played well.

Most of the 2nd wave bands dont even sound similar. Burzums first couple albums sound almost like its derived from punk aside from the vocals. Mayhem was very drum oriented in its sound, lots of blast beats and generally chaotic drumming. Darkthrone were the first to tap the whole mono kvlt sound all the kids love today.

Of course this isnt nearly all the bands but the point is that there was no unified sound. This allowed bands like ulver to exist and in turn make the scene even less unified in sound which allowed bands like arcturus and ved buens ende to exist etc etc. This isnt a new concept in black metal but rather a gradual and natural progression which took place once people became more proficient in writing/playing music.