Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I don't listen to a lot of black but the new Blut Aus Nord and Watain are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

modernlifeisadam posted:

hipsters namedrop them and DSO/Alcest

I repeat, who the gently caress cares. I love Wolves in the Throne Room and Alcest, and if being creative and making something new is somehow frowned upon in the black metal circles then gently caress them.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Thanks to this thread I checked out Nieges other stuff than Alcest, and all of his bands kick serious rear end, Mortifera and Amesoeurs especially. I haven't listened to Peste Noire that much yet, but I'll def put all of this stuff on the mp3 player.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Wow! I must say, that I'm kind of surprised. I mean, the band did kind of originate under Infernus. Oh well! I suppose that Gaahl has some superiorly evil legal representation in that one horse village of his.

He's got Satan as his lawyer.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
What makes it even harder for me is the fact that over half of the bm bands I like are nazis, and I hate nazis. I don't want to get mixed with them in any way, but man they can do some pretty awesome music :(

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I was kind of hoping for IntoTheNihil posting the mix and getting banned, since it's always funny when people get banned for being idiots.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MrWithers posted:

Would anyone know where i can buy Chthonic - UNlimited TAIWAN single anyware online? I dont want to do Itunes, as it doesnt like my Creative MP3 player.

Its on here if anyone wants to hear it!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=76527979

Buy it from iTunes, re-encode it to mp3 and voila.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MrWithers posted:

How would one re-encode?

Well if I recall correctly, .m4a files are just mp3 files in disguise and "re-encoding" them can be done by just changing the file type to .mp3 manually. But if I'm completely wrong which is very possible you'll need a program for it. You can google m4a to mp3 converter or go here if you don't know how to google.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Gvaz posted:

I believe mp3 is mpeg1. .m4a is just .mp4 in disguise (mpeg4) or (Yes I know, wikipedia but;)
Yeah I was way off there.

Gvaz posted:

If you re-encode, you should encode down, rather than encode up, because you will not gain anything by re-encoding a 192kbps to 320kbps, but you (I know I can't tell) can't tell a difference if you encode the 192kbps to the next notch down (160kbps).

I'm talking about converting only, naturally you can't add data when it doesn't exist. You can convert a 192k m4a to a 192 mp3 and they should sound exactly the same. Why anyone rips anything below 192 (or VBR) is beyond me.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Gvaz posted:

I know, I was just stating it in case there was a question of how to encode it.

Honestly though, I used to encode at 192 but I can't tell any difference using the latest LAME between 128kbps and 320kbps, even with Logitech G51 speakers (I used to have 2.1 CyberAcoustic speakers), so i've resigned to encoding at a max of 160kbps VBR.

Depends on what kind of music you listen to. If there's a lot going on, 160k is way too low to capture everything. And despite what some people say, I can definitely hear the difference between 128k and lossless.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I really like Wolfmangler, it's like acoustic doom/drone or something. Really great if i'm in the mood for it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Inquiring about a couple of new BM releases...

Gloria Morti's Eryx and Azaghal's Omega

Anyone heard positive reviews or otherwise of these? Dark Fortress's Eidolon has to be the most noteworthy black metal release of '08 thus far.

I dunno man, I've been spending a lot of time with the new Vordr. There's also the new Celestia, new Grimbane, new Grivf and the new Nortt. This years shaping up to be real good :)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Well there's always Gallhammer and Sigh. Gallhammer play raw blackened crust with some doom influences, while Sigh are more melodic. Those are the only two I'm really familiar with.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

brightfield posted:

Anyone here listen to Vordr?

Yeah, III is pretty awesome.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

IntoTheNihil posted:

He's definitely getting out soon. It's about drat time too.

Why? The guy's a cold blooded racist murderer who last time when he was on parole got a car, a gun and a load of drugs and tried to escape to Denmark. Why would you want a guy like that out of jail?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Racing Stripe posted:

I've never heard this "wolves in the throne room aren't true black metal" sentiment that you mention. I saw them live in Athens, OH a few months back and they were black metal as gently caress. Reminded me a lot of a sort of Darkthrone/In the Nightside Eclipse-era Emperor fusion. I just kept thinking that they sounded like they had been plucked straight out of Bergen in '94. But that was their live show, I can't comment on their album. They loving killed though.

Well they have a bit more going on than just black metal, and I guess that coupled with their hipster appeal makes some of the more narrow minded metalheads dislike them. Who cares though.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 21, 2008

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP posted:

I personally blame Vice magazine for the entire Hipster black metal thing since its basically a free monthly hipster bible and they have had a hard on for black metal for the last few years. The new issue actually has a couple pages dedicated to black metal since they just released Peter Beste's True Norwegian Black Metal photography book. Though I must add I live in Willamsburg, hipster center of the universe and I still have yet to actually meet anyone who listens to any of the so called hipster metal bands...

Or the fact that the only two genres left that are unlistenable to most people are noise and black metal, and black metal is easier to stomach.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

het posted:

WitTR alternate between boring ambient poo poo and some decent black metal but they've gotten a shitload of press, even in mainstream outlets. Unfortunately, that press is only half-related to their music, the rest is the image, the hippie philosophy bullshit, etc.. So, yeah, it's sort of annoying to see a mediocre band get lots of publicity for stuff unrelated to their music, when much better bands in the same genre languish in relative obscurity.

This publicity blitz also results in the situation where there are people who don't typically listen to metal who will go on and on about the band while being largely ignorant of what other black metal is out there (and show little interest in learning more), which is pretty obnoxious.

I dunno, I quite like the "boring ambient poo poo" and the general direction they're taking their music, and I think the bm parts are on par with the classics.

You say that they're mediocre like it's an universal truth, but on the contrary lots and lots of people who know their black metal agree with me that WITTR are an ace band and pay no attention to the press they get or where they live.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

het posted:

I'm aware that there are people who listen to black metal otherwise and also like WitTR, I'm just trying to explain why there is hostility towards the effusive praise of them.

You didn't really explain anything though since your main point was that they're mediocre and don't deserve the press they get, which is only your opinion. I'd say they annoy some black metal enthusiasts because they have a limited taste and are too narrow minded to appreciate anything that doesn't sound like it was made in a norwegian basement in the early 90s.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

het posted:

That's not true but feel free to hypothesize on people's SECRET SHAMEFUL MOTIVES for their taste in music.

And you feel free to act like an arrogant prick.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Gr31lly posted:

In what way is he being an arrogant prick? It is indisputable fact that WITTR have received mainstream coverage like no other black metal band has in recent memory, hell they were reviewed in pitchfork, which incidentally led to quite a few more "mainstream" sites reviewing them. These reviews had two things in common - High scores, and laughable attempts at comparisons with other bands and to understand the "scene" in general. The only other band I've seen name-dropped anywhere near as often are bone awl, who are similarly overrated.

He was being arrogant when he said that they're disliked because they're mediocre and don't deserve the attention they get, which a lot of people who know their poo poo disagree with. He was, as are you, making his opinion the absolute truth and the sole voice of anyone who knows anything about black metal.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 23, 2008

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Gr31lly posted:

Do you suffer from a condition that affects your reading comprehension? Being reviewed on Pitchfork does not necessarily make a band bad, in no way state or form was that said or implied. It was used as an example of mainstream mediums who do not have extensive knowledge of the material they are reviewing (and if you doubt the veracity of that claim, the review is available for you to read at their website).
yeah I edited it after a second read

Gr31lly posted:

words

Without all this media coverage you wouldn't be listening to bm. Again all I see is opinions stated as facts.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Awesome album: PYHA - The Haunted House

quote:

Unbelievably grim Burzumic buzz from a Korean 8th grader!!! The demo received a TEN in terrorizer and you'll understand why. Burzum meets Abruptum but even more harsh and atmospheric. Anti war, anti military outsider individualistic blackness that destroys any other BM you've heard.

evil as gently caress. Out soon on tUMULt.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

ReDiNmYhEaD posted:

Ok, a real black metal question this time: Whats he deal with Italy and black metal. I throw "North Italy Metal" into google and get some black metal right off the bat.

Any Italian goons know of some local shows in mid september? I'll be in Italy from the 10th-28th of spetember and would love to check out some local shows. Any hard rockin music would be cool too, but I loves me some loud rockin' music.

Kind of off topic, but go see Ufomammut or Morkobot if in anyway possible. Lento too, although they're not quite as good.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Unacknowledged posted:

Totally agree, it has amazing quality. I actually did do an audio rip of it.

I noticed that Wolves in the Throne Room is generally disliked among some of you, I'd like to know why. I thought Two Hunters was one of the best albums I've ever bought, and I wish I could find more that is as good.

:can:

I don't really want to get into this anymore, but seems like they're just a band you love or love to hate. I don't agree with or even understand most of the criticism they get, but to each their own I guess.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

modernlifeisadam posted:

What all new worth hearing has come out this year? All I've checked I think is the new mirrorthrone and Keep Of Kallesin, even though Gangrene didn't really catch me even as close to as much as Carriers of Dust, but eh.

Also what do you guys think of the new Abigail Williams tracks? mainstream lolo aside, I can't deny this poo poo, and their newer poo poo is A LOT more BM influenced then the older stuff I heard, and by BM I mean Emperor. Even the loving artwork is Emperor influenced/worship.

I really liked both new Menace Ruines, Cult of Ruins and In Vulva Infernum. New Vordr was good too, if you like more straight forward stuff. New Wold or Taake aren't bad either.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Misogynist posted:

In the context of black metal what the gently caress does this even mean

I guess what he means is instead of only appealing to people who wear bm shirts and studded leather jackets/belts/pants, it also appeals to people working in advertisement who wear orange sweaters.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 29, 2008

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I think the point is that he's had a much harsher sentence than other criminals convicted of similar crimes. I'm not sure if anything good will come out of releasing him, but to keep up the appearance of a just legal system they have to let him out sooner or later.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Qu Appelle posted:

Plus, one tends to not get all the attitude of some of these BM shop owners. I swear, you accidentally ask for the WRONG band, and these clerks will just go all diva up in your face. :nyd: "Oh, we don't stock THAT - they are not tr00 kvlt frostbitten enough for us. Until they record their next album in their mother's basement while wearing only goat skins and bloting to Odin after every track, they are dead to me." :nyd:

Gr31lly is one of those people :D

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

cryme posted:

wrong, Amesoeurs rule

Hipster :gay:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

http://www.myspace.com/amesoeurs

Your second point stands but a fair amount of burzum sucks for the same reasons.

Maybe there's more to black metal than what you like.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kaiho posted:

What do you call The Angelic Process?

Not black metal, surely.

They call their music ambient drone metal, go figure.

It's the saddest loving thing that K. Angylus died in june. RIP.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

DB_Cooper posted:

He killed himself.

Yeah I know, such a shame.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I think people who complain about the so called hipster black metal bands are just bitter that black metal isn't the super secret club they somehow think it used to be. People who aren't die hard into it are starting to listen to bm and show up on gigs (and making it, to some extent) and old fans are looking down their noses at them. I say this because bands like Wolves In The Throne Room, Krallice, Menace Ruine or whatever bands you guys think have hipster appeal don't really stand out in any other way except that they've had wider coverage outside the usual metal circles.

The same has happened to basically every niche genre. Most of them survived, black metal will too.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 13, 2008

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Gr31lly posted:

Nah, you're totally misunderstanding the hate they get.

It's not solely because they're getting exposure - it's because they're getting exposure and they don't deserve it over other bands. I personally would not have a problem with, say, Necros Christos getting shitloads of coverage and fans, because they're doing something that really merits attention and they're very good at it.

You're also going to get a lot of people who hate these bands purely because they are North American. The US scene in particular has been regarded as a complete joke for over a decade now and even now almost every release from it that is hyped is generally derisory, so it's quite easy to almost automatically disregard these bands.

I've never complained about Akitsa and Inquisition getting some press - because I think the bands merit attention.

Yeah that's what I keep hearing, but it doesn't really explain it fully since the whole genre has benefited from the exposure, at least sales wise. I'm pretty sure that most people who found black metal via say WITTR have looked for similar stuff, and maybe ended up buying the less well known bands. Also I think that WITTR or Krallice are a lot more accessible than Akitsa or Horna or Behexen or whatever you think is "real" black metal and thus deserve wider coverage. Then again I could in no way be considered a black metal purist, and to be honest the lo-fi, uber kvlt stuff bores me somewhat.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nasty Kerm posted:

Because you say so?

Yes he's the scene police (although I agree with him on metalcore and death).

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Misogynist posted:

Except that Coalesce and Botch are awesome :colbert:

Yeah I love Converge, Integrity, Earth Crisis and Botch are good too. They're all from the 90s though.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
tr00 kvlt black metal

ave satanas

gently caress jews

tolkien rules

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
The new Wolves In The Throne Room is lovely poo poo. It validates everything all the haters have been saying in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Listening to the new Infernal War EP and it's pretty bitchin.