Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

No, sir, it's a spiked mace! :black101:

I've been on a huge Immortal kick lately, giving Sons of Northern Darkness another spin since my non-metalhead best friend bought me a copy for my birthday last year. A special edition copy, no less. Also, it turns out my cousin is a huge fan.

In recent black metal news, though, I hear the new Darkthrone is kind of poo poo. I haven't heard anything since The Cult Is Alive, and I liked that. Anybody heard the new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I have to whore out Primitive Graven Image because one of the guys is a buddy of mine. Two English brothers making some really grim poo poo. I have the album sitting on my desk somewhere and it's one of my favorites. Also, you can download their demo for free on their website.

http://www.pgimetal.com/ :black101:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Xynobia posted:

This is more of a Recommendations Thread question, but you guys will be more to the point...

So I want to get into Darkthrone but don't know where to begin, and I'm told that their early/mid/late periods are all very different (aren't they like a crust punk band now?). Is the only route in A Blaze In the Northern Sky, or is there another door to take? I'm not huge into BM in general, so anything that's super lo-fi or cheesy is probably a bad route. Punk or death inspired is good. Help?

The Cult Is Alive. If you like that, look up their older stuff.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Mordekai posted:

What's the opinion on Limbonic Art - Legacy of Evil? I bought it, and its great. It isn't as good as Moon or In abhorrence, but they know their poo poo. Its awesome.

In other news, I'm on a huge Mayhem wave at the moment. Man are they great!

Limbonic Art is awesome. Anyone else love Vesania and 1349 as much as I do?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Bovineicide posted:

Could any of you guys recommend any black metal with a sense of humor? Darkthrone's FOAD and December Wolves' Blasterpiece Theater were great, and I'm hoping there are more albums like those.

Goddamn, Canadian Metal is catchy.

Well, Darkthrone's The Cult is Alive strikes me as pretty silly sometimes with songs like Graveyard Slut (I think Fenriz did vocals on that) and Too Old, Too Cold.

Nothing to prove, just a hellish rock and roll freak... :black101: :haw:

Graveworm did a very silly black metal cover of REM's "Losing My Religion" that is absolutely fantastic if you can find it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Morbid Florist posted:

My mistake

I didn't know FOAD wasn't their first To-11 album! Was Cult the same style as FOAD or was it a progression step towards it?

edit: meaning can I expect more songs like "Raised on Rock/FOAD/Canadian Metal" or were they working up to that level of awesome?

Cult was the last album before FOAD. You can expect songs like "Shut Up", "Graveyard Slut", "Too Old Too Cold", and "Whisky Funeral" among others. I'd definitely recommend it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

If you want some folkish metal, I know it's not BM, but if you want some really loving awesome get-drunk-and-party folk metal, check out Korpiklaani. It sounds like it's along the lines of what you're looking for (and Týr, Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, and Ensiferum tend to get recommended to me in the same breath anyway).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Dyna Soar posted:

He's got Satan as his lawyer.

*long pause, sips wine* Satan.

:v:

I just recently got into Taake and Wigrid and am having a hell of a time finding albums, but can anyone recommend anything that sounds like either of them?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

alkali posted:

Hmm. You could try Windir, I guess. Kind of comparable to Taake, but I haven't heard Wigrid. Take a listen to the Arntor album.

I should've mentioned I checked out (and loved) Windir already. Wigrid is very slow, depressive black metal, kind of like Nortt but a little more melodic.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Zedlic posted:

Is anyone else embarrassed for liking black metal? I constantly have to "soften" my taste of music for people that don't have the slightest interest in metal of any kind. I've had too many "Do you really listen to this noise/screaming" questions, so I just try to steer the conversation some other way.

I even wrote an article on Mayhem in the newspaper a few weeks ago, and when my coworkers were asking me afterwards if I listened to these "maniacs" I said "Oh no, I don't," and laughed.

I do. All the time.

I've pretty much had to deny how much I like Mayhem to just about everyone who knows the rudiments of the Dead/Euro/Varg story. I don't care for Maniac (FWEEEEZING?!) but Attila's vocals are brilliant and disregarding all past controversy they make some drat good music.

I tried explaining the Mayhem story to my dad and he seemed to appreciate that I wasn't justifying what had happened, that I was just enjoying the music, and he seems to get it, but he doesn't understand how I can listen to "that screaming crap" all the time.

My mother doesn't think I should wear my "scary metal shirts" in public. She's afraid people will get the wrong idea about me.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm surprised, and disappointed, so many of you give a poo poo what others think about your musical tastes.

I wear band shirts sometimes, so it's not like nobody knows I'm into metal, and most of the people close to me all know what kind of music I like. Even some of my professors know, especially the ones within my major because we talk so much, and I even got one to listen to a Korpiklaani song.

Hell, my best friend bought Sons of Northern Darkness for my birthday last year and she doesn't even listen to metal.

There are just certain people who don't need to know. Personally, I don't want my dear 82-year-old Catholic grandmother having a heart attack because she thinks her beloved grandson has been corrupted by Satan, and I don't want a prospective employer thinking I'm insane and/or violent. While I know it's not right to judge someone based on musical preferences, and I really don't give a poo poo about what people think, there are certain people who don't need to know that I listen to a band with a vocalist who tosses pig heads into the audience, or a band with a bassist that once set a church on fire, or a band with a vocalist who was accused of beating someone up and threatening to drink their blood.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Morbid Florist posted:

The only people who care what others think of their music haven't even reached college yet.

It's all well and good to say "gently caress everyone who judges me, I'm a rebel :black101:" but the truth is that there are situations in which blasting metal, talking about metal, or wearing band shirts with offensive graphics is not appropriate. I wouldn't wear my Tomb of the Mutilated shirt to work, for one.

Trying to explain it to people who don't care or won't understand just isn't worth the time or energy. I'm not in high school, and I don't listen to music as a status symbol or because I crave the approval of my peers. I don't think any of us listen to metal for any other reason than the fact that we enjoy it. I'm pretty sure there's no reason to try to explain black metal to my grandmother, and I don't think my boss wants to know either.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

MrBling posted:

IntoTheNihil knows that I'm joking with him, because we're cool like that.

Well, it's either that or you guys are a couple of weeping vaginas.

I think it's more that you're trying way too hard to be edgy.

I've been exploring black metal beyond what little I knew and listened to regularly (Emperor, Darkthrone) and I've recently discovered that Wigrid, Windir, Marduk, Vreid, Mayhem, and Dissection are really loving awesome. Storm of the Light's Bane, World Funeral, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas: some new favorite albums that I should have checked out ages ago.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

torjus posted:

He always does this. I love Abbath.

Abbath is the only black metal musician who can get away with those little smiles on stage. :xd:

edit: have you guys seen the 10 most ridiculous black metal videos ever yet?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

IntoTheNihil posted:

What do you guys say about me making a BM compilation and uploading it? Without sounding like too much an elitist human being, I have searched the BM genre very, very deep and know of more quality bands than most people here. I figure I might be able to get some of you into great bands. So yes/no?

I'd be all for that. More recommendations are always good.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

IntoTheNihil posted:

I've got 35 files of metal coming up in an hour or hopefully sooner. Most of it is straight black metal but I threw in some stuff that is either related/loving awesome or pre-black metal/loving awesome. Also I put in some of the classic bands in case you want to pass it on to someone new to BM.

gently caress yes. :black101:

I love Freezing Moon, by far my favorite Mayhem song ever, but I can't help but hear Maniac's "FWWREEZING!?" in my head when I think about it.

edit: I don't like NSBM but it looks like you didn't put too much in there anyway

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I won a prize at my work's Christmas party for "Most Outlandish Taste in Music". Then I left the party at about 8.15 and went to see Gorgoroth. Then came back to the party after the gig (there was a free bar and by that point everyone was in a conga line). My workmates all think I'm mad, but in a good way, I think :)

That's pretty cool. A couple of my really good friends are indie rock fans; one of them refers to me as "you rough metalhead" and thinks Cannibal Corpse song titles are hilarious.

My dad is actually interested in hearing about metal, even if he doesn't like it, and I might have talked him into listening to some early Darkthrone.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Gr31lly posted:

[edit] And as for wearing metal clothes in public - do it if you feel like it, but don't assume you have to. Forcing yourself to wear a sleeveless shirt because you want to keep up appearances is just as stupid as pretending you've never heard a metal cd in your life.

I don't do either of these. I tell people if they ask, and I wear metal shirts because I feel like it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Personally I would add Vreid's "Raped By Light" but I might be biased.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It really depends on the store. I saw Xasthur, Nortt, and Rotting Christ in the Rock/Pop section of one store, whereas the local music store in the town I used to live in doesn't get closer to black metal than Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

the wizards beard posted:

Pretty much every large record store I've been to had a few Bathory albums behind a "Bathory" tab.

I was lucky to find a lone copy of Blood Fire Death.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I really need to get De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas soon. Also, can anyone recommend any BM with acoustic guitar in it? Based on what I've heard of Peste Noire (just the song "Phalènes Et Pestilence - Salvatrice Averse") I like that style a lot and I'd like to hear more acoustic guitars in black metal.

In other black metal news, my copy of Darkthrone's Under A Funeral Moon came yesterday (finally).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

catbread.jpg posted:

Immortal binge!

I completed my discography with the addition of Damned In Black and the Plague Of Evil bootleg, holy poo poo, D.I.B. brings out a rather strong 'WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!' reaction.

I had the same reaction the first time I heard Immortal.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I just discovered Wyrd and they're pretty loving amazing. Lots of acoustic stuff, very folkish, and the vocals are almost a growl, kind of a middish rasp rather than the traditional BM shriek/screech. It's pretty slow, with a lot of focus on the atmosphere, some clean singing/chanting.

This is the most beautiful black metal I have ever heard.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm finally giving Alcest's new stuff a listen, and I have to say, I really love this. It's beautiful.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

quantumdots posted:

I hate it when jerks make good music.

This pretty much sums up why I can't listen to NSBM. Some of it is absolutely loving amazing music, but I can't get the thought of "this guy is a Nazi" out of my head and it ruins the experience for me. Besides that, a lot of times I can understand the lyrics, and hearing racist lyrics pisses me off too.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Diseased Yak posted:

So I'm getting caught up on some black metal stuff lately. Listened to Azaghal's Omega and loved it, and I snagged Darkthrone's Frostland Tapes, which marks my first exposure to this band. Apparently, this set is all their old demo stuff and some other early stuff after that. So far, it's really impressing me! Some almost doom-ish riffs going on, horrid production values (seriously, sounds like they recorded these in their living room and/or barn, which is probably not far from the truth) that somehow add to rather than take away from the experience, and just all around badassery. Very raw, very awesome.

In looking the band up, I see early in this thread high praise for FOAD, which I will now search out. What other albums by these guys should I get? If their later stuff is as good as the early, I'm in for a treat.

Darkthrone? Well, I'd say every loving one, but I'm a fan. :shobon:

Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger, Goatlord, Ravishing Grimness, Plaguewielder, and The Cult Is Alive should get you started.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

QPZIL posted:

"Christians to the lions" (Behemoth) - totally cool.
"To hell with Mohammed and the Mohammedans" (Taake) - totally cool.

Apparently it's fine to figuratively (and literally sometimes) call for the death of any group of people, as long as they're not Jews.

Most people can distinguish between fantasy and reality and don't believe that Hoest is murdering Muslims or that Nergal is actually gonna throw Christians into lions' dens.

The difference is that the Holocaust is relatively recent, historically speaking. There isn't a great history of atrocities committed against Christians like there is against Jews, and given the power the Church has had throughout its history, anti-Christian lyrics can easily be interpreted as a gesture of defiance against authority. There are a lot of reasons to dislike or oppose religion in general, or as a concept, and while that does include Judaism, singling out Jews in particular is more of a problem than saying "I hate Christianity" or "gently caress religion" because of the history of violence attached to antisemitic ideologies.

Black metal isn't the only metal subgenre with lyrics about Bad Things. Karl Sanders doesn't worship the ancient Egyptian gods, he just writes about it because he thinks it's really loving cool subject matter. Sometimes, the lyrics are just supposed to be aggressive or provocative or tell a story and aren't really meant to reflect an ideology.

I don't think it makes me a hypocrite if I listen to something that's anti-Christian or anti-religion in general but I have a problem with antisemitism.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

IRQ posted:

You realize this rules out any band that has a song that says something mean about Jesus, right?

I just really don't get having to do some weird calculus to determine whether it's ok to like a band based on their (possibly?) stupid opinions. Your jewish friends aren't going to get some supernatural communique that you're Grand Wizard of the Klan or something. I can certainly see not wanting to give such bands money, but that's a different animal.

People who say "gently caress Jesus" aren't saying "gently caress Jesus 'cause he's a Jew", they're saying "gently caress Jesus" because it pisses off Christians (or they think it does).

There's a difference between saying things about a religious figure who may or may not have actually existed, in the context of verbally trashing that religion, and calling for the extermination of an entire race. A huge difference.

And it's one thing if they keep their opinions to themselves and it doesn't come out in their music, but even then, some people have a problem enjoying the work of an artist who they know to be a piece of poo poo. I can listen to music by somebody who is an rear end in a top hat, but I draw the line at Nazi. It's one thing to be a former Nazi, or commit a crime and later reform, but somebody who is actively a fascist shithead deserves no respect or support.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 2, 2014

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Houseplant posted:

Who the gently caress is naming their songs anymore? It used to just be over-the-top, but now... I don't even know.

According to the comments, it was an April Fool's joke from Xanthochroid or something. And googling "Bipartisan Apostasy prank" gets you this on the Empyrean Throne facebook: "Xanthochroid finally came out that Bipartisan Apostasy was a fake Dimmu song created by the Xantho-dudes".

Supposedly Silenoz acknowledged it somewhere.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Germ Incubator posted:

Hey, another new poster on this board.
Has anyone here ever been to Inferno Festival? I'm tentatively making plans to fly over next year (I'm in the UK.)
The bands announced so far:

Behemoth
Enslaved
My Dying Bride
SepticFlesh
Antichrist
Bloodbath
Mortuary Drape
Slagmaur
Dødsengel
Skeletonwitch
Svartidaudi
Ensiferum

Looks like I'll be going on my todd though, having no black metal fan buddies, so silently making GBS threads it haha.

Also wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Carach Angren? I've skimmed back as best I could but haven't seen any mention of them. I recently got introduced to their music via Tumblr (I know...) and a Dutch youtuber who made some glowing reviews of their albums. Currently got all three on constant rotation, looking forward to a tour near me soon.

"Going on my todd"? I figure you mean "on my own" but how did that happen? Is that autocorrect?

To answer your question, Behemoth and 1349 are loving amazing live. Skeletonwitch is great too, as is Ensiferum, but that's folk metal, not black. Go check out a few pages back in the main metal thread to see Fenrir losing his mind about how much Enslaved completely loving owns. Those alone are worth going for, but I'm not familiar with the others.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm trying to find a song that I liked years ago, but all I remember is a vague description: atmospheric French BM, really long song, like 8+ minutes, and it had an acoustic guitar intro that I would recognize instantly. I think I last heard it in 2007.

E: I have gone through all of the Alcest and Amesoeurs I can find from that time and it doesn't appear to be them.

E2: it's "Phalènes Et Pestilence - Salvatrice Averse" by Peste Noire. I actually posted about it in this thread.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 7, 2018

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm one of those weirdos who loves every single thing Immortal have done, but Demonaz back on guitar and vocals is some next level Extremely Good poo poo.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I still think "Blake Judd" is just about the least black metal name in existence.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

I’ve been a busy bee and have been working on putting out my first metal release in a loving age or two, and doing it all myself while my son and partner are asleep.

https://okaat.bandcamp.com

Please enjoy this or maybe not enjoy it.

Antifascist queer black metal sounds like a good time to me.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Detective Thompson posted:

I feel like I should already know about Varathron, since they've been around for a long time apparently, but my buddy linked me to this today and it's pretty good, I think.
https://agoniarecords.bandcamp.com/album/patriarchs-of-evil

It seriously loving rules.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

Putting out another track because it just doesn't fit the vibe of the EP i'm working on, so figure I'll ditch it from that release and whack it on soundcloud for funsies.

https://soundcloud.com/pestilent-one/carve-open

Is this the fully automated luxury queer space communism black metal I've heard so much about?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

Fully insurrectionary luxury queer space anarchism black metal, but close enough

Your stuff owns btw

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A human heart posted:

it's true that most contemporary black metal is bad and overcommercialised.

on the other hand good musicians deserve to be able to earn a living doing what they love

go to shows

support ur favorite artists

I unironically love Satyricon and their goofy black-and-roll thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Grand Nokkturnal Panzershit

This is the most NSBM-sounding band name I have ever heard. This is one 36-year-old white dude making deliberately muddy lo-fi garbage metal in his mom's basement and alternately blaming a Jewish conspiracy for his lack of success and holding up his single digit fanbase as proof that he is the Most Kvlt.