Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

Ya know when you just think gently caress it and go ahead and release? Well that's me today all over, friends.

https://soundcloud.com/pestilent-one/sets/black-brush

Dropping my 25 min EP Black Brush, please go and listen if you like, or don't, I'm still not your mum.

but what if you were my mum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

How do I get this awesome music into my Spotify

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Beloved Worm Wrangler is an amazing title.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

"Not interested in politics" from an Eastern European black metal band usually means they're Nazis or at least okay with Nazis.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

skasion posted:

If only there were kinds of music that didnt fetishize evil violence for shock value 🤔

somehow death metal musicians manage to mostly be regular-rear end people

:thunk:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Varg posted:

just wait another year or so, metalsucks will write a piece about how we shouldn't accept bands that promote rape culture and call for a boycott of Cannibal Corpse

Some of the early CC stuff makes me uncomfortable because Chris Barnes clearly loved writing songs about brutalizing women, which is frankly pretty creepy, and the loving gagging sounds in "Force Fed Broken Glass" are just unsettling, but I'll be god-damned if "Stripped, Raped and Strangled" doesn't have some of the best riffs ever written.

It's obviously done for shock/horror value but Barnes-era CC seems more rape obsessed than most death metal of the time.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like a ton of metal lyrics. They don’t have to be literary masterpieces to be good lyrics.

But also,

This should be a thing

I need to get into a recording studio somehow and do some lyrics about real estate, any musicians itt wanna lay down some tracks? We'll stick a clip of Alec Baldwin saying "Coffee's for closers only. You think I'm fuckin' with you. I am not fuckin' with you." at the beginning and do like a brutal slam death track about selling houses

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

my bony fealty posted:

the brutal dm bands with weird sci fi lyrics like wormed and demilich are leagues better than most of the rapey gorey junk

Gore is fine, it's obviously over the top horror movie poo poo, I just think the handful of bands that fixate on rape are creepy.

I do love the weird sci-fi/cosmic horror lyrics. Demilich even sounds like they came from beyond the stars.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

asking why I explicitely stated it was anti-fascist

The answer to this is "because gently caress you and your fascist friends"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

my bony fealty posted:

a good answer

what is some good lefty bm? Panopticon is overtly anti Trump and pro labor. Idk any others tho

Our very own Lifeglug!

I know it's off topic for this thread, but it's pretty much the only style of vocals I do and we're kinda talking about it: I really want to do a collaborative death metal thing where the music is just uncompromisingly brutal and the lyrics are all about mental health and learning to love yourself.

Just straight up breeeeee-ing about mindfulness and self-acceptance.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

Coven of the Pestilent One
Oh, and I am a shameless piece of poo poo and this is my band and it is entirely left-wing, covering topis I mentioned above, anti-fascism, anti-capitalism, feminisim, trans rights, mental health and so on.

you forgot to mention that it loving owns

e: Wolves in the Throne Room are goddamn amazing live

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

Bellend Sebastian

I'm giggling like fool at this :lol:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A human heart posted:

why would badmouthing crowley, one of the fundamental figures in 20th century occultism, piss off nazis specifically?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not thanks to 21st century irony poisoning

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A human heart posted:

no, but i've read some of their stuff out of curiosity and i haven't really seen crowley referencing much. there's obviously an influence but it's hard to find an occult movement that wasn't influenced by him to some degree.

he was very significant in the development of contemporary occultism, that's just factual.

Hitler was obsessed with the occult is my point here.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

If anyone is interested I'm sorta documenting my process of making a release as I'm working on the next one.

https://medium.com/@pestilentone/pt-1-creating-corrosion-871ea73878f5

I always picture you as the face in your avatar for some reason, so I loved this bit:

quote:

Also, you can’t record black metal vocals quietly at night.

Good read.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

we are nihilists, lebowski

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hey there are an absolute ton of super cool satanists out there!

Smoke weed, listen to metal, and hail Satan

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Members
BlackGoat Gravedesecrator - Everything

:laffo:

I say this as a guy who unashamedly loves a band with members who call themselves Nergal, Orion, and Inferno, this is the dumbest, edgelordiest stage name I have ever loving seen

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

Given I just use my own name, I think I need to go dumber.

Your name is The Pestilent One?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I really like your vocals on the stuff you've already released :shobon:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lifeglug posted:

an inherent dislike of the sound of my own voice

I thought everyone had this

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I need more atmospheric BM and weird dreamy blackgaze

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kilometers Davis posted:

Have you listened through Wolves in the Throne Room’s discog? I’ve been revisiting/finally getting fully into them and they’re so good.

I saw them live like twice they own

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

deadking posted:

I didn't get the sense that he was putting anything on, more that he leads a fairly normal quiet life with a weird hobby

It's kind of like how Corpsegrinder is the Platonic ideal of Florida Dad, but black metal.

Nordick posted:

I already posted this in the general metal thread a few days ago, but I'm revisiting it now and jesus gently caress I want this album to be out already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl0FlmgcT1s

Holy poo poo this rips

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

He was always kinda weird though wasn't he?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nordick posted:

I already posted this in the general metal thread a few days ago, but I'm revisiting it now and jesus gently caress I want this album to be out already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl0FlmgcT1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ndgRJGG55s

that bassist is intense

also lol this video is extremely on-brand for old school black metal. getting strong early Immortal headbanging and gesticulating in a forest vibes

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ughhhh I forgot Jon Nödtveidt was a loving murderer and accidentally got into Dissection.

I had somehow not realized that there were two relatively high profile homophobic murders (the other one being Bård Eithun stabbing a man to death) linked to the early black metal scene.

I'm uncomfortable with it but on the other hand Jon's dead, it's not like I'm supporting him. Is it moral to enjoy art when the artist has actually done something really bad? Is it moral to care less about it when said artist is dead? Am I disrespecting his victim? Jon Nödtveidt pretty clearly had some serious untreated mental health issues himself, which is honestly a whole other conversation, but I'm conflicted because on the one hand I am pretty vocal about not giving a gently caress about Burzum despite the music being an inextricable part of black metal's history, but on the other, the music is really good. Death of the author and all that. I still enjoy the setting and concepts developed by H.P. Lovecraft despite acknowledging that he was insanely racist even by the standards of the time.

I had this whole conversation with a couple dudes at the Wayfarer/Falls of Rauros/Infera Bruo show the other day, not specifically about Dissection but the increasing diversity and representation in extreme metal, and how it is a good thing. Gaahl, Marissa Martinez, Danica Roem, Mallika Sundaramurthy, Asagraum, just to name a few. I see more and more women and POCs at shows. Things are changing in a good way. I'm of two minds here and just looking for other people's thoughts.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Henchman of Santa posted:

My thought on this topic is “draw your own conclusions.” I’m not trying to be glib but there’s not a right answer and every time somebody goes through these long mental exercises about what’s okay to support I just want to shake them, especially if the artist is dead and there’s no money changing hands! There are probably thousands of decisions in your life that have a more tangible effect on the state of our hellworld than “should I consume the art of this dead rear end in a top hat for free on my own time?” If you can’t do it it without a guilty conscience then it’s not worth it. If you can, nobody cares! Just don’t give money to Nazis or violent psychos. Everything else is up to you.

You have a good point. Jon may be a dead rear end in a top hat but he made some good music. I guess it's not hurting anyone for me to listen to Dissection, it just feels strange to me to try and be a progressive leftist in our hellworld future and also love a genre of music whose birth was bloody, violent, and deranged. Suicide, murder, arson, corpse desecration, hate crimes... and now there are POCs and LGBT people making black metal. I'd like to think that makes people like Necrobutcher and Varg really angry.

At least the Darkthrone dudes grew up.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I don’t know what Necrobutcher’s beliefs are but the presence of artists like that (and generally left-leaning bands, which USBM in particular is full of these days) certainly pisses off the right kind of people.

Necrobutcher is just a dumb racist edgelord, but Hellhammer is an actual white supremacist who has gone on record as saying that black metal is only for white people

USBM is great these days and the Boston metal scene in general leans pretty hard to the left. Met a dude at the Wayfarer show with a "gently caress NSBM" patch, and have seen multiple anti-nazi, anti-racist shirts and patches around. Plus in MA we have the Satanic Temple, which is progressive feminist humanism with pentagrams (as opposed to the Church of Satan, which is Randian Objectivism with pentagrams). It's only fitting that Satanists are fighting for social justice in hellworld.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 27, 2019

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I saw Saor last week and was thinking about how I wouldn’t be surprised if he had some fashy views based on subject matter, but I understand that Scottish nationalism is a very different thing than American nationalism or a lot of mainland European nationalism. Plus he’s friends with Panopticon and tours with Wayfarer. There is a lyric on Aura about the “age of degeneracy” but that was before it was a Nazi buzzword as far as I know.

Scottish nationalism is less fascist than it is "gently caress the English". Scottish or Irish pride from people actually from those countries is a very different beast compared to easily sunburned white Americans who are proud of something they have only a tenuous connection to.

My only exposure to Bostonians is through sports so this is pleasantly surprising.

To be fair, Pats fans do suck.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 27, 2019

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I can't really disagree with that, but he's a dead piece of poo poo

And the line "I make love to abominations" is :discourse:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I mean yeah I'm putting a gently caress NSBM patch on my battle vest

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Literally death of the author

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Blackened Death Records are the people who make the gently caress NSBM shirts and patches and the STOP SUPPORTING RACIST BANDS shirt. Aggressively leftist black metal label.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Well that sucks, I already bought the patch :sigh:

Maybe I can cancel the order

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 30, 2019

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I could get some custom made patches, but the minimum order size is 10. Would anybody be interested in high quality embroidered gently caress NSBM patches?

edit:

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 30, 2019

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I saw a dude in an Absurd shirt at a Suffocation show and I was like what the gently caress is a dude who listens to nazi music doing at a show with a black guitarist

patch company quoted me $97 for 10 patches. 3"x2" embroidered lettering, embroidered edge. That seems like a lot unless I get at least 9 people willing to pay $10 each (I want one for myself, if I get more than that I'll place a bigger order), I don't want to buy 10 patches and not have any interest.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 30, 2019

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm not doing it for profit. It's through Patches4Less, which a lot of smaller bands/labels use from what I can tell. If I were to make them from scratch, it'd be a lot more expensive in terms of supplies, and lower quality because I don't have the equipment or experience.

I could paint on canvas, but I am not especially good at that. I'm willing to spend on something well made like this.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A human heart posted:

that company would probably be happy to print pro NS patches if you asked them.

I spoke to a supervisor at Patches4Less just now and he told me he had to check what NSBM meant and threw in a 5% discount because they're down with the message and would actually refuse to fulfill a pro-NS order. I'm cool with giving money to a company that is on board with telling Nazis to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cobra Commander posted:

poo poo that makes me want to get one.

Still a couple up for grabs.