Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

IntoTheNihil posted:

Eh, you could try out Urfaust. Don't try too hard to find them though, as they're quite mediocre.

Not really. They are actually pretty awesome, in that "the vocalist stumbled drunk into a recording session" kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I'm really suprised Paysage d'Hiver hasn't been mentioned more. Wintherr makes some of the most amazing atmospheric black metal ever. Production levels jump around a lot from album to album (e.g you can barely hear Kerker, Einsamkeit is loud and clear), but so what. Just grab anything you can find.

(Pick up Darkspace material as well.)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Any Old Irony posted:

Welt Aus Eis off of PDH's self-titled is my favorite black metal song ever. The violins are creeeepy.

Good choice. What an awesome song.

RandomUsername posted:

Krieg used to be awesome. Destruction Ritual is pure insanity. Total ear splitting goatnoise.

The Patrick Bateman EP is pretty awesome as well.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 14, 2009

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Diseased Yak posted:

Also, the new Blut Aus Nord is fantastic.

Holy poo poo! I didn't know this was out.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mordekai posted:

Owns loving hard.

At least their album covers do.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Kaiho posted:

The mouth harp is the new fuzzy guitar in black metal.

I remember laughing my rear end off when I got Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik. Part III's sudden BWOIOIOING is so unexpected.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Good info, thank you.

I guess I'll have to keep living that dream in my head. :(

1) Burn off some LLN .mp3s to CDR
2) Put it up on ebay claiming it's an original
3) Profit
4) Inferno

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I think the new Peste Noire is awesome, but then again, I am a huge, squealing PN fanboy. Not a blastbeat to be found, but so what - it rules.

If you haven't checked out last year's Storming Darkness release Sin-Thesis, do yourself a favor and grab it. Just loving blasting hateful no-bullshit Russian black metal.

Just grabbed Negative Plane's Et In Saecula Saeculorum and am duly impressed. LOUD drums, mostly slower pace, killer ultra-echoed vocals, and an awesome old-school vibe permeate. Recommended.

Ars Manifestia released The Red Behind last January. Get it on sight.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I swore Filosofem started with an F

This is the correct response.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Yeah, ICS Vortex has some awesome pipes on him. He also sang for Borknagar (on the album Quintessence)

And The Archaic Course.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

No need to tinker with Hvist Lyset Tar Oss however....

You could actually remove every song other than Det Som En Gang Var and still have one of the best bm records ever.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Razor posted:

And I, too, prefer Vortex and Garm to Vintersorg.

I know it will never happen, but I still hold a little dream in my heart that Ulver will release another black metal album. Oh well.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

I prefer Vintersorg, but to each their own. He does get a bit squealy at times, which detracts from the sheer brutal force of Borknagar.

I've heard Borknagar described in many ways, but "brutal" sure wasn't ever one of them.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

:nyd:

Oh, they will always be brutal in my little black heart.

(Though I'm sure not brutal enough, as they actually play notes and sing, instead of screaming into static over distortion and blast beats for 50 minutes)

drat. I got loving told.

I just think that they are better described as 'epic' rather than 'brutal'.

P.S. - I'm a fan. Colossus is still one of my favorite songs.

Edited for less overall assholishness.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 17, 2009

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

Sometimes, I just laugh at this entire genre.

The only thing that is funnier than metal itself, are those who take it seriously.

Of course, I take it seriously. :black101:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Razor posted:

describing Windir as brutal to a fan of death metal would immediately make that person think Windir is like Cannibal Corpse, or Nile.

Maybe Windir and Nile could just form a supergroup called Nildir and write songs about Viking mummies.

I'd buy their first album.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

Not very good. It's a shame because Si Monumentas Circumcision whatever was really good

I disagree - I really like Fas...blah blah blah. It's pretty nuts.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Because Enslaved wasn't really that great to start with.

Now that's just flat-out wrong.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

ElectricWizard posted:

Is anyone else here planning to attend Under The Black Sun this year? Can hardly wait to catch Lifelover live, for their second time ever! :D

I'd love to go just to see Darkspace and Urfaust. Wish they would come to the US.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Gr31lly posted:

Please describe exactly what is so important about an album made up of riffs Kvist already used to perfection on Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike.

Wha? Kunsten... and Fas... don't sound anything alike.

Kunsten... is extremely melodic and more standard-bm riff based. Fas... is chaotic, atonal blackened death metal. I don't see how you can make the comparison at all. Maybe, maybe I could see you comparing Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice with it, but even that's a stretch.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Duck and burger posted:

:words:

FYI I wasn't putting it down. I greatly enjoy it. I also was just trying to shoehorn it into a three-adjective-or-less description, so chaotic won out.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

IRQ posted:

Also... how is Finntroll black metal? :confused:

The same way that Old Man's Child is capable of releasing a good album post BotF? (It's not).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Ba-zing.

Yeah I know - lame zinger. How about some content?

I know it's fashionable to hate on Wrest now for some reason (too popular?) but I am an unabashed Leviathan/LoC fanboy and am craving something new from him. Anyone heard anything about his current activity? I know he's sitting on like 2 or 3 full LoC albums and really wish he would release them.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

lol_internet posted:

Wrest is too popular? That's news to me. I was thrilled to even see you mention Leviathan and Lurker of Chalice on this thread - I never hear anyone talk much about those bands any more.

I got that feeling from posts on other boards that it was the tru-kvlt thing to hate on Wrest nowadays. Personally I think he his one of the most consistently listenable and original artists in the genre so :iiam:

lol_internet posted:

Where did you hear that he's got new material pending release?

From the LoC page on Metal Archives:

Metal Archives posted:

According to a 2004 interview with Wrest there are four unreleased full-length albums by Lurker of Chalice.

I wish he would just release them already if this is true.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Plasma1010 posted:

Its way cooler not to use those memes in Black Metal.

Zing!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Ronnie Spector posted:

Of course, when the contemporary black metal scene praises poo poo like Peste Noire and Blut Aus Nord it's no wonder most people can't tell the difference between that and the old stuff.

Hahahaha. Man, stop it, you're killing me.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

RHTITE posted:

Belus just doesn't stand up side by side with albums like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Det Som Engang Var,

The thing is, I doubt we would even be having this discussion were this not a new Burzum album. It barely held my interest for one complete listen. There is just so much better music out there, but, it's Burzum right?

I can't say I'm exactly disappointed as I wasn't really anticipating anything great. I know the man's gotta eat, but I really wish that more artists would either hang it up while still on top of their game leaving us wanting more (Kvist anyone?) rather than put out uninspired albums knowing the strength of their name alone will sell it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I'll take "uninspired" burzum over yet another loving leviathan album any day of the week.

Ok. I won't. I'll take music that seems to have passion in it over something that I feel is uninspired. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match over this. I also admit that I haven't listened to the new Burzum more than once which I always do even with albums I hate the first time. Maybe it'll grow on me. maybe not.

edit: removed stupid loving question that doesn't add anything to this thread

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 23, 2010

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Nightside Eclipse got me into BM but I can't remember when it came out, but it has to be 10+ years. Burzum....dunno, I think I got into him maybe 5 years ago

I edited that question out because it doesn't matter. I didn't want this to degenerate into a "I've been into bm for x years so I know what's good and what isn't" argument.

Back to the discussion at hand; listening to Belus again. Some of the songs are better on second listen. Digging Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning quite a bit. I like the spoken parts and the dissonant main riff is nice.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I have to agree with this guy. Aside from literally a handful of bands, the further from the 90's we get, the less original black metal comes out.

It's become the same kind of scene death metal was that spawned scandinavian BM in the 90's. When people decide to mix primitive, ugly metal with loving shoegaze, the shark has long been jumped.

It's really a shame that everyone isn't as close-minded about music as you guys. If only we could live in a world where every album sounded like A Blaze in the Northern Sky or In The Glare of Burning Churches. :allears:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Kaiho - either you are completely misunderstand what it is I'm arguing or I am completely misunderstanding what you are arguing.

I'm not sure where the 'outliving the schtick' comment comes from because that is exactly what I am arguing against. Ronnie and Morbid seem to be arguing that if it isn't second wave than it sucks. If I am wrong about this, correct me. My point is that it is absurd to dismiss all the 'modern' bands that are putting out great black metal music because they aren't original second wavers or don't sound like/follow the ideology of the second wavers.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

lol_internet posted:

Now that I can agree with. Although earlier someone mentioned Blut Aus Nord sucking and I couldn't disagree more. They are in fact one of the few modern BM bands that I've discovered that sounded interesting to me. Perhaps there are others I haven't found yet from around 2000-present that are good to check out - just to get a sense of what the people in this thread consider to be "good" modern BM.

Some 'modern' BM bands that I think are well worth checking out, in no particular order:

Paysage d'Hiver / Darkspace (I'd buy a tape of Wintherr farting, basically)
Blut Aus Nord
Leviathan / LoC
Peste Noire
Urfaust
Drudkh
Negura Bunget (formed in '95 but most of their catalog was released in the 2000's)
Ondskapt (Dodens Evangelium specifically)
Satanic Warmaster

I'm sure Ronnie will explain in detail why I'm wrong.

Ronnie Spector posted:

Hahahah - wow anus.com making fun of Chuck, Pantera and Varg in one picture. Those guys!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Oldstench, have you heard Sun Of The Blind? I listened to Skullreader again today and was reminded how fabulous it is.

Yeah - I picked it up because of the link to Darkspace. Very enjoyable headphones-in-a-dark-room album.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

MrBling posted:

It is kinda funny, as a sort of counterweight to the extreme worship of Schuldiner on other parts of the internet.

Wow, yeah it's loving hilarious to send letters to someone's grieving sister intimating that their brother's cause of death is AIDS-related pneumonia.

They really put that amazingly talented and all-around nice guy/metal proselytizer in his place!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Ronnie Spector posted:

I guess Summoning's post-2000 work is good but I'd rather listen to something like Basic Channel or Maurizio which is basically the same idea but in an electronic dance music context and relieved of the embarrassing D&D aesthetic.

In what bizarro world does Summoning have the slightest bit of commonality with Basic Channel? They both tend to be slow?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

tea4lyfe posted:

dISEMBOWELMENT, from AU as well, more DOOM than BM

Understatement of the thread?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Grabbed the Odz Manouk s/t recently. I'm kind of behind on stuff. Really, really good I think.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

- Kaevum's Natur is probably the NSBM AOTY
I generally don't listen to NSBM, but drat, this is really good.

m-o-o-n posted:

Stinkers: Deathspell Omega
Look how wrong you are. :colbert:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

The Clit Avoider posted:

Adversarial/Antediluvian crushes all though.
Antediluvian is loving awesome. They're almost up there with Portal for me. drat, I wish Vexovoid would come out already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

I love Si Monumentum and like Kenose and Paracletus but Drought and Fas Whatever really rub me the wrong way and I'm not entirely sure why
Obviously you just don't :airquote:get:airquote: DSO, plebe. :smug: