Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

FOAD is what metal is supposed to be. So awesome.

Anyway yeah, black metal. New Mutiilation is the best BM album so far this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mr.vj posted:

As for black metal, I don't dabble in it very much, but I can't give enough praises to "Incipit Satan" by Gorgoroth. There's just so many memorable riffs and Gaahl hasn't given a performance like the one on here since. However, you can't hear the bass :(. Why can't I hear King Ov Hell? Why?

You should get the first two albums. Infinitely better and both are classics.

About Sigh, their new album isn't even remotely black metal, but yeah they're great. Everything they've done is awesome and original.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mr.vj posted:

I'm also going to say that the beginning of "Carving a Giant" off of "Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam" is probably one of the best things black metal has to offer.

:eek: You're a crazy guy to think that, haha.

I guess i'm alone in liking the straightforward super raw BM bands? I never hear talk of them around these forums

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mr.vj posted:

I'm sure you're not the only one. There's tons of people around here that have found the deepest and darkest black metal out of troll forests. I for one don't really care for the whole "super raw" thing, because the production really hurts my ears. I'm more of a fan of the "blastbeat" oriented black metal like Dark Funeral.

Dark Funeral :|

That's just bad.

But I can understand why you like that type (with being a big death metal fan and not a black metal fan)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

barthelme posted:

french black metal continually surprises me. not only do you have the peste noire/alcest/amesours axis and deathspell omega (even though I didn't dig "Fas" as much as "Kenose" or their contribution to "crushing the holy trinity") in the past there was an extremely fertile scene centered upon vlad tepes/mutiilation/belketre.

French BM is absolutely amazing. Probably the best around. LLN has gotten way too trendy but there's definitely great music that came from it.

Have you heard Oubliette? They're not French but have heavily French BM influenced music. Next to Basilisk it's my favorite BM. Very hard to find though. There's only around one rip on the internet and the only way to buy the two tapes is through todestrieb records.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 15, 2007

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Goat Problem posted:

In recent black metal news, though, I hear the new Darkthrone is kind of poo poo. I haven't heard anything since The Cult Is Alive, and I liked that. Anybody heard the new one?

It's the best metal album in a long time. In my opinion it's flawless.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Burzum completely defined/created/beallendalled the depressive black metal genre with Filosofem.

MrBling posted:

I went to Sworn's myspace page to check them out and it sounds like some guys in a melodic death metal band thought it would be really cool to make black metal.

I don't get it.

Welcome to 99% of the BM scene :(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Avant Gardening posted:

It's funny because I hold metalarchives's opinion much higher than yours.

That's a sad thing to do.

To be honest here, anyone with good knowledge of the genre would agree with that I said.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Avant Gardening posted:

Edit: Also, Filosofem came out in 1996 while the release I mentioned came out in 1994.

Filosofem was written (and I believe recorded) in 1993.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Silencer is a trendy gimmick band but I like the music at times. Basically all the stuff sounds the same but it's equally consistent.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DB_Cooper posted:

The new darkthrone is called gently caress Off And Die. They're not even trying anymore but i guess being goofy is better than trying to be grim.

They're actually making good music. Something most BM bands around now are failing so badly to do. It's nice to see them not turn to poo poo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DB_Cooper posted:

I definetly like their last couple records that went on a sort of punk detour along with the new one which is sort of a fun 80s homage.

People really got angsty over the punk albums but then again if you look into some of the very early BM (burzum comes to mind) theres definetly a punk sound in there. Maybe its just the sloppiness of playing or all the teenage anger.

Either way the current scene has deteriorated into mindless worship of kids recording on their 4 tracks in their parents basement and people calling it genius outsider bm (im looking at you aquarius records). I could blame xasthur for this but that would be to easy.

This post sums up my thoughts entirely. Any punk hating in the BM scene is ridiculous to the point of idiocy. At least respect how important punk music was to the genre.

About the scene, you nailed it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

pugna posted:

That Fekthreroenuerm myspace is incredible. Although I think it's a joke.

All these stupid fake BM bands need to stop. Impaled Northern Moonforest was funny but that's about it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Have you heard ABiTNS?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morbid Florist posted:

My mistake

I didn't know FOAD wasn't their first To-11 album! Was Cult the same style as FOAD or was it a progression step towards it?

edit: meaning can I expect more songs like "Raised on Rock/FOAD/Canadian Metal" or were they working up to that level of awesome?

It's got an almost crust punk like sound to it. It's definitely worth checking out if you love FOAD.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

brightfield posted:

Can someone actually name a single "hipster" listening to WITTR? I don't really think of myself as a hipster, but I listen to a lot of things - one of them being black metal. I also listen to indie rock - does that taint my opinion of BM? Ridiculous.

It's mainly a label for the people who don't know much about BM. There's tons around. Most "hipsters" are labeled that because they listen to stuff like Dark Funeral, Leviathan, Funeral Mist, Dimmu Borgir, WITTR, etc and don't dig deep into the music. On the hating side, it's mostly the people who practically hate everything but the raw BM bands (myself included in this). The difference here is that even though I think that stuff is gay/boring as hell, i'm not going to sit and whine about people's tastes, hah.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's not really about the way you dress or what you really listen to, it's mainly knowledge based. Today I wore a Green and tan polo shirt and green cargo pants. I also listen to tons of hip-hop :black101:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

brightfield posted:

Oh, it's totally about the look - see...

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/thefed/v3/volume22/0/images/carter_hipster.png
Haha, that's awesome.

het posted:

This kind of confuses me. It doesn't sound like black metal, why would you ever call it black metal? Even Neige himself says it's not black metal.

I was going to say that.

Burzum is clearly black metal but his ambient stuff definitely is not.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

het posted:

Um that sounds pretty awesome to me

Negative Hammer responses need to be bannable on sight

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Souvenirs is okay. It's very, very far from his best though.

I have to suggest Tristesse Hivernale. I'd consider it his best work.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Peste Noire is by far the best. The new album isn't too great but the first is amazing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The only real problem is when metalheads are obnoxious and stereotypical. Sadly, this happens most of the time :\

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I got a tall fat gently caress Windir shirt from there a while back. Great quality.

If I didn't live in an oven I'd buy one of those hoodies.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What do you guys say about me making a BM compilation and uploading it? Without sounding like too much an elitist human being, I have searched the BM genre very, very deep and know of more quality bands than most people here. I figure I might be able to get some of you into great bands. So yes/no?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've got 35 files of metal coming up in an hour or hopefully sooner. Most of it is straight black metal but I threw in some stuff that is either related/loving awesome or pre-black metal/loving awesome. Also I put in some of the classic bands in case you want to pass it on to someone new to BM.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 28, 2007

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah, the NS (like all good NSBM) stuff isn't forceful really. The songs in there are great though, notably Kristallnacht and Wehrhammer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

het posted:

I'm confused, wouldn't uploading a compilation and linking to it here be pretty blatantly against the rules?

I mean I appreciate the effort and everything, but I think you'd get banned without hesitation if you actually posted this.
Hmm, that puts me in a hard position now. I can't even technically say to pm me for it or something. Eh, is there a way I could ask a mod about it?

Gr31lly posted:

I'm not trying to completely poo poo over that list, but when you come out with statements like "I have searched the BM genre very, very deep and know of more quality bands than most people here" you had better be able to pick more than just surface-entrance music.

That's not really surface entrance music. It's not incredibly deep sure, but much deeper than most people dig into the genre.

brightfield posted:

Nihil, the only change I would make to your mix is to add at least one track from Summoning, especially given that you have a few other LOTR-inspired bands/tracks on there. Summoning is the creator/master of that realm IMHO.

Summoning is too off of the BM genre to really be included. If I did like a folk metal/something I'd include them for sure.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Well, instant message me from my profile if you're interested.

Dyna Soar posted:

I was kind of hoping for IntoTheNihil posting the mix and getting banned, since it's always funny when people get banned for being idiots.

I wasn't really being an idiot. I just assumed that the rule was only for RIAA released music.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Black metal will never be mainstream. It's just that Darkthrone have been around for a long time and have a large fanbase now. The new Mayhem cd is in most stores.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weird timing, I just discovered them. Really amazing music.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I generally won't listen to anything under 192. It's perfect for 99% of the music I listen to.

As for the guy looking for Summoning like music, look into Nazgul (Ita) and Mirkwood (U.S.).

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 4, 2008

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Eh, you could try out Urfaust. Don't try too hard to find them though, as they're quite mediocre.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pixelponny posted:

Apologies: couldn't read all of the topic but; does anyone know Bewitched - Diabolical Desecration; which they released in 1996 ? Before I wasn't into the "Black 'n Roll" style, I thought this album was really exceptional. I didn't use the "Black 'n Roll" term to define it, but I was mentioning that it's "kind of speed metal with black metal influences".

You must, and I mean must, get At The Gates Of Hell. It's one of my favorite metal albums and is very essential in my opinion.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

brightfield posted:

Anyone hear of Dead Raven Choir? There's a new album out, My Firstborn Will Surely Be Blind, and it's actually composed entirely of cover songs, but if you didn't know that, you probably wouldn't ever know by listening. It's a tremendously interesting sound.

Sevenfold Songs Of Death is awesome even though it's really gimmicky. Have you heard his project Wolfmangler? It's hilarious.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

He's definitely getting out soon. It's about drat time too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Darkspace is definitely one of the best BM bands around. The new album is even better than I imagined it would be.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

xkeyboardxmoshx posted:

josh, what darkspace album would you say is the best?

Dark Space II for sure. All three are worth getting though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ReDiNmYhEaD posted:

Ahoy, I've been given a ticket to see At the Gates in San Francisco next week, and while I know of them and have heard a few tracks I'm largely new. Could someone suggest a starting place?

I did pickup the Rockband DLC track Blinded by Fear and thought it pretty darn badass...

I'm not trying to be a dick but At the Gates isn't black metal at all. They're melodic death metal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morbid Florist posted:

I agree, gently caress him sideways. Not for anything he did, but for being such an ego maniacal dildo.

nice to see some people still don't know poo poo about Varg

edit: oh god, your next post made it even better :lol:

It sucks so bad that he's not being let out. Oh well, hosed up laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

cryme posted:

varg is an indefensible moron, this is indisputable.

Could you squeeze a few more "gently caress varg i hate him" posts in this thread please?