Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morbid: I don't really care to prove anything but you calling him an attention whore is pretty ridiculous. Black metal is 99% attention and 1% music but he easily falls into the latter.

het posted:

I'm not clear on what's hosed up about the laws here. He committed crimes, was convicted, and then when let out on temporary leave he tried to escape and was found in possession of fraudulent papers and a fully automatic rifle.

The whole situation is just a total mess. There's not much else to it. I should've noted I meant that I wanted him out prior to escaping and all that. I still want him out but I realize why he's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Qu Appelle posted:

I'm genuinely curious - why do you want him out? I haven't been following the Norwegian Black Metal Soap Opera scene.
I'd like to see good black metal still come out. There's about a handful of solid bands around anymore. Nothing wrong with classics but it's sad to have such a dead and stale genre.

Dyna Soar posted:

I think the point is that he's had a much harsher sentence than other criminals convicted of similar crimes.
Yup

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

modernlifeisadam posted:

I reaaallly don't see how BM is a "dead and stale" genre, maybe if you listen to 1349/anything else on candlelight as a indication of how the BM scene is doing, sure. But IMO quite a few bands are making interesting poo poo these days, maybe not as much as a year or 2 ago, but I'd say it's hardly "dead and stale"

If I could find more like one decent band a month i'd be alright with it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morbid Florist posted:

Yeah that book packed with interviews he's given is a sure sign to me that the guy doesn't want attention. I know when I lay low the first thing I do is call the papers and a photographer and rant about how everyone and everything BUT me is the root of my problems.

So wait, giving interviews about being in the biggest event in a genre's history is grabbing for attention?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I guess musicians should just run away and hide whenever someone wants to know their side of the story.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morbid Florist posted:

You're the one that called him an attention whore, so answer that one yourself. But if a band (even a one man band) wants to act like the genre wouldn't exist without him, kills the figurehead of said genre, they're not giving a side of a story, they're being an ego maniacal dildo.

Varg was the one that last changed the genre and created an entire (and now terrible) sub genre. He's done more for black metal than almost anyone. Euronymous was a worthless human being and did hardly anything notable. I complete agree with the pro-Varg side of it that says Euro wanted to torture Varg.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A human heart posted:

He's good but pink floyd really sucks so i have mixed feelings

:wtc:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

You ever see a band name and get really pissed about not coming up with it first?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Detective Thompson posted:

Akhyls - The Dreaming I

I decided to listen to this because I found the album art very unsettling. The music is rather intense as well. Cool find!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A human heart posted:

Is he even a tiny bit wrong?

WitTR is good black metals

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

rear end apples are better than WitTR. I'll admit that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oldstench posted:

New Summoning track in full.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM10Zg4GzX0

Certainly sounds like Summoning which is all I could have asked for.

Ahhhhh I didn’t even know they were working on new music!

e: yup it’s Summoning :D

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 24, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TollTheHounds posted:

Apparently this album was released end of July digitally, but I only found out about it because I got a promo email from the label that is releasing the CD.

A Pale December is some loving fantastic atmospheric black metal. I'd say if you're a fan of Harakiri for the Sky, a slightly less medieval Obsequiea, maybe even a little Agalloch, this will be right up your alley. Lots of melody, airy ambient stringed instrument interludes and synths, a really beautiful, depressing, harsh kind of vibe. The production is fantastic too, the drums in particular sound amazing and I normally don't give a poo poo about drums really as long as they're there.

A lot of the songs have a real sense of building up and intensifying before dropping to a lull then picking back up again along with a variety of quick time-signature adjustments sprinkled throughout, it's a very satisfying listen.

https://apaledecember.bandcamp.com/

Favourite track - The Path of Stars: https://apaledecember.bandcamp.com/track/the-path-of-stars

But honestly every song is its own treasure.

[edit] Meant to post this in the general thread as I'd hestitate to call this really BLACK METAL, much more in the "post-" range, but maybe you all may get a kick out of it.

Man this is so good. The span of Obsequiea to Agalloch is full of amazing bands.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

annnnnd there’s my black metal aoty

I wish the production was a little different but eh it’ll probably grow on me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Agalloch is my all time favorite bm band and Panopticon is getting up pretty high so I guess I fully embrace the cascadian scene. Amusing. I wasn’t always fond of it back in the day but I think I was just trying to be hard and cool.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wasn’t trying to project that onto you or anyone for the record. That’s how I was as a teenager.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s all pretty good to me. I dig the Cascade stuff because deep down I’m a hippie treefucker who thinks about pantheism too often. The music ~resonates~ with me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay WHAT that song is extremely good. I wasn’t even going to bother listening to the new Immortal but I guess I’m onboard.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Now we need a good new Gorgoroth album

Is that too much to ask?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve never listened to them before but loving hell this is some vicious black metal :aaaaa:

e: Blessed Curse :eyepop:

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 14, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I tried out Salvation but the production is too rough mixed in with the new album right now. I’ll definitely check it out once I wear this one out for now.

Seriously loving this band. I’m in the middle of going back through all my favorite black metal right now and they fit right in. Sucks I never got into them back in the day. The vocals remind me of Vintyr from Basilisk for some reason.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Von Sloneker posted:

Triumphator was his band before FM and their Wings of Antichrist album was reissued not too long ago.
https://helterskelterproductions.bandcamp.com/album/wings-of-antichrist

It is also very good and very intense, if more "Swedish black metal" sounding and of its time.

Wings of Antichrist is the next thing I’ll throw on. Appreciate the recs man!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Detective Thompson posted:

Ran into this album today, thought those of ya that hadn't heard it yet would like it. The album art is real good, too.
https://wtcproductions.bandcamp.com/album/disciples-of-the-void

Album art rules. I threw it on this morning and the first third wasn’t grabbing me. Once I got to Invocation though it was hitting me right. Some cool ideas going on for sure.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oldstench posted:

I can't stop listening to the new Funeral Mist. It's so drat good.

It really is. I’m surprised I haven’t seen it mentioned around more often.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Antifascist queer black metal sounds like a good time to me.

:yeah: this is good stuff!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Henchman of Santa posted:

Kind of awkward timing because I was gonna ask if anyone minded if I closed this thread. It often goes weeks between posts and pretty much everyone here also posts in the general metal thread. Stoner/Doom/Sludge has a bit more of a distinctive feel and the metalcore/deathcore thread might as well be on a different forum altogether. Let me know if you feel strongly that this should stay separate.

I support this 100% and have found the threads fairly redundant and too split up for a while.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Smirr posted:

Proposition: Barathrum, but vaguely gothy, with synths, noisy wall-of-sound production, and tits on the cover. If this proposition intrigues you, click this link

Well that description sure is targeted directly to me

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mgła finally put their music on Apple Music! gently caress yeah! I’ve been waiting for that for years. Time to get into them way late.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lords of Chaos consistently making dumbasses freak out is the best thing lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The commercialization is wonderful for musicians in the genre. Sure if you just make albums and throw them out on streaming you won’t make poo poo (and that’s awful and needs to change for sure) but the growth of black metal/black metal adjacent music + the growth of the internet has been awesome. YouTube/merch/etc is a great way to grow a fan base and make extra money. There are a ton of great bands that wouldn’t have a chance even in the mid to late 00s.

I know there’s the concept of oh no people will jump on the trend and start making black metal because it’s popular now but that’s literally not a thing.

I’m down with anything that could lead to more money for musicians for their art.

Anyway to prevent this from becoming a dumb derail, pyf hidden gems of 2019. I haven’t really looked for any black metal this year.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 3, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A human heart posted:

Growing a fanbase and making money shouldn't be the point in itself, and plenty of good bands are still overlooked in favour of crap despite the existence of the internet. I don't really know why discussing the music this thread is about would be a derail.

I mean what’s the point in releasing music if growing a fan base isn’t the goal? That’s the entire point. And making money will always be better than not making money if the artist is trying to focus as much of their time as possible on making the art.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Happy Hedonist posted:

That's true and I respect that, but I fail to see how the existence of Batushka is going to in any way affect the real underground scene. There will continue to be good new music sprouting up somewhere regardless. I'm tired, I could be missing the point entirely.

For instance, I read this a few months ago and it made me smile. I think it's this kind of scene that fosters new genres, and in this case they are doing it with an eye on the past. Not unlike what happened in Norway in the early 90's.

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2019/01/11/yakutsk-punk-scene-list/

It's this kind of energy and enthusiasm that will ensure the fact there will still be good black metal around in 10 years.

This is how I feel as well on that end. Black metal is never going to be pop music. But growth and expansion will only lead to more varied interesting music. The bands with zero interest in a “commercialized” sound and approach won’t suddenly be forced to take that path.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lifeglug posted:

Yo speaking of selling out here's a dumb youtube promo video I done for my new release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEtbyP-fLNQ

Dear Lifeglug,

this fuckin rules

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah it would be awesome if you could get your stuff up on Apple Music. It’s very good and I wanna conveniently stream it into my ear holes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Would be p cool if the black metal scene could stop being a big comfy couch for nazis sometime soon

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t even care if it’s an obvious gimmicky thing though that certainly allows a nice cover for the non out and open nazis. Lemmy loved his nazi poo poo and he was fine.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A human heart posted:

that's not going to happen because reactionary politics have been deeply embedded in black metal since at least the early 90s and large chunks of the black metal scenes in most countries don't have any issues with them

I understand but it doesn’t have to be like that. Genres and communities change and evolve. It’s worth pushing back against and not allowing bands to feel okay about putting out nsbm albums and having shows etc.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A human heart posted:

black metal is a very conservative(in the sense of being opposed to change) genre. most people involved have no interest in the sort of change you're suggesting, and very few younger people with different views are coming into the genre. and horna are not an nsbm band even if some of the members have dodgy connections, most outwardly nsbm shows are invite only or secret anyway.

I don’t know, there’s a ton of fresh blood coming into the genre lately and that will only grow over time. Maybe the very core of the black metal genre is still opposed to change but tons of bands are taking the genre in different directions. Sound and ideology. I know what you’re saying but anyone associating with members holding these far right ties and such need to be pushed out until they cut those rear end in a top hat away. It’s a seemingly small platform but still shouldn’t be one that continues to allow nazis just because they mostly keep to themselves. That logic on a larger level has allowed far right violence and thought to infect a lot of communities.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PYF 80s proto black metal, I need more so I don’t just default to venom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like a ton of metal lyrics. They don’t have to be literary masterpieces to be good lyrics.

But also,

Siivola posted:

Yeah just scream about your groceries instead of all that gross poo poo.

This should be a thing