Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."
We should have everyone list the favorite obscure black metal band, as I have quite a few that are worth mentioning.

The band Strid is viewed as the originators of depressive black metal, but are completely over and above what depressive black metal is defined as today by bands such as Xasthur. Strid only released a Demo in 1993 and a 7" EP in 1994, but their self-titled EP is absolutely incredible in terms of sound, atmosphere and that time in which it was released. The guitar tone is hypnotic, and their bass player has a strong presence in the band, which is very rare for a black metal band. There's a "best of" compilation for Strid that has all their releases including ones before they changed their name to Strid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."

IntoTheNihil posted:

Burzum completely defined/created/beallendalled the depressive black metal genre with Filosofem.

It's funny because I hold metalarchives's opinion much higher than yours.

Edit: Also, Filosofem came out in 1996 while the release I mentioned came out in 1994.

Avant Gardening fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 18, 2007

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Can anyone recommend some piss raw black metal like Ildjarn, Bone Awl, or Clandestine Blaze? No symphonic, operatic, or clean sounding stuff, please.

Black Murder, Vlad Tepes, and Mutiilation's Vampires of Black Imperial Blood and Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul are very good raw black metal.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007

Auritech posted:

I honestly cannot stand anything at all that ever came out of the Les Legions Noires scene and I think that whole movement was really a waste of everyone's time. It is exactly what you'd expect out of a bunch of bored, weird French teenagers. (As opposed to a bunch of bored, weird Norwegian teenagers, I know, but at least they tried harder.)
What raw black metal would you recommend outside LLN bands besides Ildjarn, Sort Voker, Akitsa and Bone Awl?

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007

spigotthebear posted:

Can any one suggest some good depressive black metal? Or atmospheric black metal?

Strid is good depressive black metal. Paysage d'Hiver is amazing atmospheric black metal about nature and Darkspace is amazing atmospheric black metal about outer space.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007

Xithyl posted:

I've been listening to both Journey Through The End of Life and Requiem of December from Beatrik lately and I have to say I'm glad I heard about this band. Very much a Burum/Darkthrone hybrid, but not as generic as I'm probably making it sound. Definitely check them out if you haven't already.

http://www.myspace.com/beatrik1212

The frontman's other band, Tenebrae in Perpetuum is also very good. It doesn't have any of the funeral doom of Beatrik and has a completely different vocal style.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007

cranial extraction posted:

Anyway can I get a couple of BM recommendations please? I absolutely love old school emperor, windir, (classic norwegian crap), naglfar (bm?)... but some of the "kvlt" poo poo (e.g., mayhem live in sarpsborg) ends up sounding like the anal oval office mockery of BM.

Nocternity is really good symphonic, epic black metal that doesn't sound sterile and has a really washed out sound.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007

King Kolostomy posted:

Same goes for the majority of any group anywhere and everywhere.

How's the new Xasthur album, I haven't listened yet.

It has real drums, and it's his best work yet, but that isn't saying much.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
recomend me some good japanese bm besides gnome and gorugoth

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
can someone recommend me some stuff along the lines of ash pool and akitsa? anything filthy and hateful. i don't care for most of the lln bands, for a number of reasons, so don't suggest that.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007

lazer bullet posted:

As for Darkspace, I'm not sure whether it's for me. I'm sure it'll grow on me, but it seems as though it's the sort of thing I'd have to be in a certain mood to listen to. I read that Darkspace II was better than III, but if anyone can recommend some "required listening" as far as things in Darkspace's veign go I'd appreciate it. Keep in mind I'm still relatively fresh to the genre, so anything that should be obvious probably isn't to me.

You should check out everything by Paysage d'Hiver, since Wintherr, the musician behind it, is also in Darkspace. Their self-titled is my favorite black metal album, but really everything by him is worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Holy poo poo I need to hear this.

there's samples of it on here: http://www.aquariusrecords.org

i was worried that this was going to be a gimmick, but it's excellent. for being another bedroom bm act it is somehow incredible and new.