Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm surprised, and disappointed, so many of you give a poo poo what others think about your musical tastes.

Well yeah. The only point where it's relevant is when deciding which of your buddies etc. might be interested in being dragged along to concerts.

For reference, I am 35 years old, have a grad school degree, and work as a senior software engineer in a building which is mostly full of economists and lawyers. And I frequently listen to black metal at work (headphones, mind you, but whenever someone asks I'll tell them what it is). I often go to gigs and festivals and so does one of my coworkers. It's perfectly normal. Then again, I do live in Norway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

IntoTheNihil posted:

Black metal will never be mainstream. It's just that Darkthrone have been around for a long time and have a large fanbase now. The new Mayhem cd is in most stores.

I guess it's a bit different for us Norwegians -- I can walk into the most mainstream record stores here, head over to the "hard rock/metal" shelves, and find that not only do they quite probably have (e.g.) multiple Bathory albums on display, but they are by themselves with a "Bathory" tab rather than among the "miscellaneous B"s. At the same time, new releases by the most significant BM (and other metal) bands will be displayed on the general "new releases" shelf near the cash register rather than consigned to some genre ghetto.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Mordekai posted:

Is anybody here going to the Inferno Festival (https://www.infernofestival.net)?
I'm planning on saturday to see Destruction, and of course Shining.

Yep. I live just outside of Oslo so of course I'll be there. Have my festival pass ready to go (there's at least some interesting stuff each day, and in between there's time for beer).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Early Sigh is my recommendation.

Yeah.

Their later stuff is even more magnificent, but weird. Hangman's Hymn is one of my favourite albums of last year.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Noktorn posted:

So from someone's who's heard the album, how horrible is Krallice on a scale of 1-10, with one being the worst and ten being the worst.

I'm liking it a lot. It belongs somewhere between Weakling and Wolves in the Throne Room, both of which I also like a lot.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Iskald is ABSOLUTELY worth checking out. I'm jealous you get to see them live.

I saw them live at Inferno last year and, well, they certainly played their stuff well enough but they were definitely not the most comfortable stage act I've seen. The vocalist in particular seemed pretty drat tense and nervous at being up there in front of the crowd. I guess it might be attributable to lack of experience (they come from way the gently caress out in the sticks and this was something like the third time they played a gig outside of their home territory, so to speak).

Still, they were good enough to make me go buy their album. And it seems quite likely that they'll be loosening up a little as they gain touring experience.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Exploring the classics also means checking out some Bathory. This is foundational stuff. Dirty, hellbound, epic, with disastrous vocals that somehow make the whole thing greater. At least check out Under the Sign of the Black Mark and Blood Fire Death.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Not Very Metal posted:

Satyricon is playing Detroit tonight but I can't go.

Are they letting Frost into the US yet or do they play with a substitute drummer again?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Not Very Metal posted:

Well, there you have it then. And yeah, that's Frost on the left. I had the same reaction when I first saw him without paint on. Nearly every other BM musician looks normal, not Frost. Not Frost.

Well, he mostly stays in the background anyway, leaving Satyr's inflated ego free to grab all the attention.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Has anyone in here, from the states, gone to one of these somewhat recently? What kind of money are we talking about to pull this off?

Not from the states, rather a native Norwegian here, but it seems it would break down more or less like this:

Airfare: Lowest I can find on a quick search claims to be 336 USD for a return trip (NY-Oslo or NY-Bergen).

Festival pass: The equivalent of roughly 150 USD for either Inferno or Hole in the Sky, depending on how the exchange rate breaks.

Accommodations: Depends on what standards you want; might begin around 30 USD per night for a shared room in a hostel.

Food, beer etc. obviously costs money as well.

Groke fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 12, 2009

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Kaiho posted:

I went to a Norwegian festival last summer and spent around $50 per day on beer alone. And I had booze of my own.

Yeah, beer is fairly expensive here, and it's a lot more expensive to buy in a bar or restaurant or concert venue than in a grocery store, easily costs twice as much or more. (Same with food; eating out is much more expensive than buying food and cooking at home. This has to do with high labour costs and so on; it is simply impossible to get anyone to work in the service industry here for the kind of wages low-end waitstaff and kitchen people get in the USA, for example.)

Therefore, everyone celebrates the tradition of the pre-game party, where you do most of your drinking at someone's home before going out (so you only have to do maintenance drinking at the inflated prices) as this is much more economical. Of course, it's even more economical to skip the "going out" phase and just sit and drink at home. Or by yourself out in the woods. Which is traditional for Norwegian metal bands.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

666sinders666 posted:

Can you recommend some good metal venues in Bergen and Oslo?

Bergen is a strange and exotic place of which I know little.

As for Oslo, the pickings are relatively thin these days; the nightlife business is a vicious one with very thin margins and the expected lifetime of any kind of watering hole (never mind one geared towards people of a specific musical taste) isn't particularily long. Used to be a fairly decent place called Club Maiden but it's dead. A couple of new places called Unholy and Hellawaits have shown up or are going to show up, but I know little of them as I'm not currently in the target audience (spending the vast majority of my evenings and nights at home with a 6-month-old kid now instead of going out; I'm going to do my best to raise a little metalhead though).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Razor posted:

I'm guessing you went to Rock In; yeah, I believe that's still around. As far as Bergen establishments go, I've heard The Garage and Hulen are alright; I haven't been there, though. So I guess take that with a grain of salt.

Yeah, that's got to be Rock In. Which isn't really an all-metal place; but obviously they dial up the metal during Inferno.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

BranceMulliganPI posted:

Does anyone have an recommendations for obscure mid-tempo bm (other than Burzum) with this texture, atmosphere, and generally dour (though often pretty) atmosphere?

If you want something that sounds a lot like Burzum (the good parts version) without being Burzum, you might like Wigrid.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Caerus posted:

Well, there is no life sentence in Norway, not even nominally.

It is, however, possible to be sentenced to "forvaring" (i.e. a form of custody) above and beyond the regular prison sentence. Up to five years can be doled out at a time, and it can be renewed indefinitely, theoretically lasting for the rest of the perpetrator's life. This is technically not so much a punishment, but more of a protective/preventative act by the court. It is used only in cases where the perpetrator is considered likely to be a major danger to society (repeat-offending muderers, arsonists etc.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

They don't treat their prisoners like caged animals so that when they get out, they don't continue to act like caged animals like we do here.

Or at least that is the theory.

It does seem to work in practice at least some of the time.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Your Weird Uncle posted:

i love them but i've heard mixed responses from the "troo kvlt" crowd. they're playing with wolves in the throne room (IT'S LIKE A PITCHFORK DOUBLE HEADLINER) in may. im super stoked.

I would loving be there in a minute if they played here. If my troo kvlt credentials mattered (which they don't, really), I could mention that I've been listening to black metal for twenty years starting with Bathory.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

NickelPlatedJesus posted:

The Burzum cd "Burzum/aske" is the only Black Metal cd that matters. :colbert:

Bah, that's the re-release version. You're not trve kvlt unless you have the original separate releases. Preferably on necro tape.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

catbread.jpg posted:

So has anybody else heard this yet? Two weeks later and it's still kicking my rear end.

Yeah, I checked it out, on your recommendation I believe. Me like.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

pugna posted:

Drudkh, Hate Forest, Astrofaes, Wodensthrone, Wolves in the Throne Room, Darkspace, Coldworld

And Burzum. :v:

Also Wigrid. And maybe Ruins of Beverast.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Gvaz posted:

Though on topic, varg looks pretty god drat old now after spending what, 10~ years in prison?

Closer to 16 years. High schools today are full of pimply, masturbating kids who weren't even born at the time of the church burnings and stabbing. We're all getting god drat old.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Cold Day posted:

Yes, because you had to be around when the music first came out to appreciate it.

Way to read something entirely different from what I wrote, dude.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

Did not know Gaahl was actually gay. Mind blown.

Eh, what could possibly be more anti-Christian than practicing sodomy?

quote:

Isn't one of the dudes in Darkthrone a teacher too?

Yes, and the other dude works for the postal service. There aren't too many people who can make a full-time living as metal musicians around here.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Inherent right-wingedness. Yes, I am aware of the irony of the right wing ideals being based on a fervent reading of the Bible but it's still true.

Also, homophobia was seriously a pretty well-attested element of prechristian Germanic cultures. So at least for those who are into that whole angle it does not altogether come out of nowhere.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Ravintolassa posted:

Ignoring the fact that deriving your beliefs from a pre-modern society is idiotic and a little oafish,

There is no more of a shortage of idiots and oafs among metalheads than there is in the population as a whole.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

Cool now Vortex can focus on a band that doesn't suck

Yeah, hope this means more activity from Lamented Souls.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
More Krallice; excellent. Their debut was one of my favourite records of last year, November can't come soon enough.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Bubble Bathory posted:

Sorry if this is kinda all over the place. I guess what I am looking for is howling, hollow sounding vocals, more personal themes, eccentricity; that whole deal.

Wigrid? The Burzum-est one man band I've found that isn't actually Burzum. And without the church burnings, murder or questionable ideology, it's pretty much all just about alienation and depression and poo poo like that.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
One thing I think we can say about the new Immortal album is that it sure is an Immortal album.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Yah, the guy behind Taake is a bit of a ridiculous assclown but he has not yet made an album I haven't liked.

And hey, this is the perfect time of year to load 'em up on the mp3 player. Thanks for the reminder.

Groke fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 9, 2009

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

catbread.jpg posted:

I still don't get why people think you can make black metal with verses and choruses.

gently caress that, there are several songs with a verse/chorus structure on the early Bathory albums, so it can by definition not be wrong.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

stairway to hippo posted:

Haha, Google Translate actually translates "Jørn Stubberud" to Necrobutcher.

It loving actually does! This is brilliant.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
I second the following:

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
Mistur - Attende
Shining - VI: Klagopsalmer
Skagos - Ást

And would at least add
The Ruins of Beverast - Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite.

And probably some others that escape me at the moment.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Plasma1010 posted:

Eurovision sucks.

Well, the Eurovision song contest is like this -- it started as a serious, mainstream popular-music contest in the 1950s. Then it gradually grew increasingly camp and disconnected (especially during the last 20 years). These days most of those folks who watch it do so ironically, for the kitsch appeal (it's also a major attraction for the gay community, or at least those parts of the gay community who choose to revel in the camp stereotype). I know quite a few people who essentially use the broadcast as the focus of a party where they get drunk and try to insult everyone who appears on-screen.

Then they let in all those ex-East Bloc countries, and they seem to take it more seriously than everyone else (as their taste in music is famously horrible).

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I don't read too deep into Varg Vikerne's lyrics because I could give a poo poo less about what he believes. I just enjoy his music and that's that.

The funny part is that none of his actual song lyrics seem to have any racist, anti-semitic or nazi content, whatsoever. Germanic mythology, general misanthropy, and abstract gloominess, yes. But you'd never know he'd ever had any questionable ideas about race or politics if all you had to go on was his lyrics.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Caucasus Belli posted:

That's awesome.

Am I the only one here who really likes Vreid? I thought Milorg was a great album.

Nah, I quite like 'em too. Enjoyed I Krig more than Milorg, mainly because the Norwegian lyrics on the former are actually pretty good/poetic while the English lyrics on the latter read more like a chapter by chapter synopsis of a high school history book. (Their first two albums each have a few really good songs as well but also a fair amount of filler.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Pleasure to chill posted:

Haha, Keep of Kalessin beat some crappy reality TV rejects and are on to the national finals for the Eurovision Contest. Their song is perfect really, it's the kind of metal song people who don't like metal can enjoy. Too bad it loving sucks.

I think it's against the rules or something to submit a song that does not suck.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

If Turbonegro's post-Apocalypse Dudes material and Darkthrone's recent albums are the best punk Norway has to offer I truly feel sorry for the country

There are some actual punk rock bands still going, but most of the old ones did not survive the early/mid-1990s (after which the number of new punk bands slowed to a trickle as the kids who might have formed them were getting into metal instead).

Edit: The only new, good punk band I can think of is Brutal Kuk ("Brutal Cock") from Trondheim. They're certainly punk as hell; the one time I saw them live the concert was aborted after three songs due to some moron triggering the fire supression system (breathing that powder sucks, and turns your snot blue for a week), after which the band resorted to getting drunk and belligerent backstage and had to be evicted from the venue by the cops.

Groke fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 2, 2010

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

My first black metal record was Darkthrone's A Blaze in the Northern Sky, with Immortal's Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism second.

Mine was a taped copy of Bathory's Blood Fire Death, made from a buddy's vinyl back when it was a fresh release, in the days when it was home taping that was killing music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

ElectricWizard posted:

Varg's farmstead is up for sale if anyone needs a cozy place to raise their healthy aryan children. Apparently he's moved to France with his wife and daughter.

The auction site
[/timg]

I must say that's a pretty affordable price for a place like that. It's not as deep in the woods as I'd thought either, it's an easy commute to several places where one might actually find a job worth having, etc. In fact it looks like a pretty great place to raise a family if one is into the whole rural thing (and when the oldest kid hits the teenage years you could move him into the "cabin" so he can listen to whatever devil music he prefers and masturbate in peace).