Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Funnee
Oct 4, 2000
It's been a pretty good time for new black metal.

The debut from Blood of Kingu is finally out, and in my opinion it is loving amazing. As mentioned earlier in the thread, this is a new project from Roman Saenko of Drudkh and Hate Forest with a focus on Egyptian and Sumerian mythology. The music is fast and aggressive while still managing to convey a certain epic quality, and the only vocals are some vaguely 'eastern'-sounding chanting in certain places. It doesn't get too gimmicky with the middle eastern themes, and takes a Nile-like approach instead by mostly keeping it to short interludes. It's still early, but based on my first few listens I really do think this ranks up there with some of Drudkh and Hate Forest's best. I highly recommend this one.

Thurios, the other guy behind Drudkh, has released a new album from his band Astrofaes called Idea. Form. Essence. More aggressive, occasionally folk infused black metal with plenty of blast beat. It's not exactly a departure for the band, but it's worth a listen if you like anything else Thurios is involved in.

Mieli Maassa by the Finnish band Häive is the most impressive folk-black debut I've heard in a long time. Fans of Wyrd, Agalloch, and Kampfar will all enjoy it.

It probably doesn't need to be said, but I think the new Amesoeurs track is great. It's definitely in the same vein as "Faiblesse des Sens", including vocals by Audrey Sylvain. I'm really looking forward to the full album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Funnee
Oct 4, 2000

corpsed posted:

I've read through this whole thread, and some of the suggestions have been awesome. Walknut, in particular. I'm loving the song on their myspace (http://www.myspace.com/walknutband). Anyone have any similar stuff that's along the same vein?

Early Drudkh, "Rainchants" by Skogyr, and if you REALLY like Walknut and can handle extreme rawness and minimalism it would be worth checking out anything from Forest, which is probably the most Walknut-like of Kaldrad's past projects.

Das Funnee
Oct 4, 2000

pugna posted:

Temnozor and Kroda pictures: http://abortedfoetus.com/kroda_temnozor/

Very cool pictures, it's so rare to see these eastern bloc bands at all. Thanks for posting them.

Das Funnee
Oct 4, 2000
pugna's recommendations are solid as usual. Also check out Nyktalgia, Krohm, Lurker of Chalice and maybe Pagan Hammer.

Das Funnee
Oct 4, 2000
Glad you guys approve of Nyktalgia. Insane vocals. I don't listen to that much depressive stuff but those I listed are some of the more interesting ones I've come across.

It should be noted that Pagan Hammer is more in the territory of atmospheric black with nationalistic themes, but they do have a good bit in common with the big depressive bands from the US and tend to get lumped in with them. The end result of their last EP "Ode to My Fathers" sounds a bit like a doomy version of bands like Drudkh and Walknut, to me. Kind of interesting to hear a well done american take on that, so I'd recommend it to those who like that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Funnee
Oct 4, 2000
New Drudkh album samples here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006T3MB86/

It's not much to go on but so far it sounds better than their last few.