Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I don't know if this was posted before but it's hilarious and awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzrTKbEhDE&feature=player_embedded

The dude from Cobalt on Fox News. It's Red Eye and not one of their main shows, but still...something you'd never expect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cold Day posted:

I enjoyed the new Caïna EP, any of their other material like this? 'Post Black Metal'? also wouldn't mind learning about some BM bands who don't focus entirely on negative emotions(Although I do realize the genre mostly focuses around this) and maybe chuck in some psychedelia or post rock or just anything different!

Not at all similar to Caina but check out Fleurety, Ved Buens Ende, ...and Oceans, and The Sprawlcosm. They're all extremely unique "post-black metal."

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I don't think anyone's arguing that black metal (for better or worse) hasn't come a long, long way since the mid-90's, but Belus is still a fantastic blend of Varg's earlier output with some clear progression in songwriting and atmosphere.

It's easy to say that no one would care about Belus if it wasn't a Burzum album, but that's unfair - no one would care about Filosofem if it came out in 2010; you can't fault Varg for having legions of followers who have copied Burzum's style.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

AgentJotun posted:

Can't say Ive ever been a fan of calling the Norwegian scene 'second wave BM'. I would say the music from that scene is the first 'real' black metal. Anything from earlier is just proto-black. If I was made to decide the first black metal release I would probably say it was A Blaze In The Northern Sky.

Bathory, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, etc. were definitely doing real black metal before the Norwegian scene kicked off. Along with random bands like Von.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Oh hell yeah. I was hoping recently that we'd hear from Darkspace soon, can't wait. I've always liked Darkspace more than PdH, great news.

I am digging the new Agalloch, I lost interesting in them after "Ashes Against the Grain" but it's a really solid album. Aesop Dekker really adds a lot.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

antifacist activists keep getting Horna shows in the US cancelled and I think that's funny

anyway I've been listening to Panopticon and Falls of Rauros a lot, what's some more good nature or lord of the rings bm

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the brutal dm bands with weird sci fi lyrics like wormed and demilich are leagues better than most of the rapey gorey junk

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

let me tell you friend, when I first heard Dream Theater's The Count of Tuscany I wept, because I knew poetry had reached its apex

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

skasion posted:

Lluvia
Arkhtinn
Wedrujacy Wiatr
Cantique Lepreux
maybe Obsequiae?

these are all new to me thanks. I havent listened to Drudkh in a long time but I got the anti urban vinyl lying around somewhere and it's a sick one.

spending all day listening to early 90s weird death metal now tho \m/ currently spinning nocturnus

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The answer to this is "because gently caress you and your fascist friends"

a good answer

what is some good lefty bm? Panopticon is overtly anti Trump and pro labor. Idk any others tho

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Danny LaFever posted:

NWN released Departure Candelier's album.

It's a Napoleon concept album made by the guys in Akitsa and Ash Pool. So if you like their sound you should like this.

Good album cover too.

https://shop.nwnprod.com/products/departure-chandelier-antichrist-rise-to-power-lp

perfect timing, I'm a few eps deep into the Age of Napoleon podcast and loving it

relatedly what is some good French BM that's come out recently? I haven't really paid attention to that scene since Neige was doing Amesoeurs

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Song from the upcoming Falls of Rauros album is out, "New Inertia," is pretty good. Expecting the album to be solid if not anything spectacular. I think Hail Wind and Hewn Oak is still my fave.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the good poo poo, spun Drawing Down the Moon for the first time in years yesterday. still ain't nothing like it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Its dumb that so much of the well-known French BM scene is so tied up in nationalism and nazism in general. It's like you find a cool French band and hey they're nazis! Why cant everyone just make music about cosmic poo poo like Darkspace or the woods or whatever.

A guy got kicked out of Maryland Deathfest today for having a Goatmoon patch on his jacket and that owns

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ElectricWizard posted:

Apparently Ved Burns Ende are active again, and are playing the Inferno Festival next year.

gently caress yeah. one of the neatest records I have is pink splatter Those Who Caress the Pale, #135/250. found in a random record store in North Carolina. came with a cool poster too.

Heres hoping they'll do some new music and not just shows but shows are cool too. guess I could just listen to Virus for that tho.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lmao

I made the mistake of listening the to The Ways of Yore last week and wow it's bad good thing Burzum is dead

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Z&A is pretty ok but I lost interest quickly after like 2 listens of each album? Bet it'd be fun live tho

on the topic of weird bands with black metal influence Kayo Dot's next album appears to be a metal one, cautiously optimistic. they're good when they do bm stuff.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ghost Bath is boring and bad so you've made a good decision

uh I guess Leviathan, Xasthur, and Shining are the ones to try if you haven't listened to em?

I like Bethlehem and Woods of Infinity a lot which I think count as DSBM

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Its one thing when the artist is a shithead and another when the music itself is a vehicle for the shittiness. I used to like Grand Belial's Key and Arghoslent a lot but then I grew out of being a teenager and realized how hurtful the lyrics are. I mean I always knew songs like "flogging the cargo" were terrible but still could listen to it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I'll throw in $10 for that patch

I had a Burzum shirt in high school that I lost sometime later. thought I was real cool strolling down the school hallways like that.

I do have a Mayhem shirt that I've had for like 15 years and it still fits. The coolest BM shirt I own is a Panopticon one from Bindrune.

this one https://shop.bindrunerecordings.com/collections/wearables-merch/products/panopticon-cabin-shirt

actually this Falls of Rauros one might be the best I have check out that sick fuckin treeman smokin

https://shop.bindrunerecordings.com/collections/wearables-merch/products/falls-of-rauros-woodland-throne-shirt

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 30, 2019

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Evil_Urna posted:

What the gently caress is going in this thread? A bunch of mewling amature Simon Wiesenthals trying to suss out wrong think in black metal?

Who gives a poo poo. If the music moves you, loving enjoy it.

naw gently caress nazis

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

found the nazi

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Evil_Urna posted:

:ghost: I am the spooky ghost of Eichmann. :ghost: ooooOoOooOooo. I am coming to implement fascism in your music OOooOoOoOo.

your posting sure is banal enough

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Wait are Mgła nazis now? gently caress I can't keep up

they're not straight up NSBM or anything (and the band denies all of it) but there is a history of questionable associations and lyrics. if you wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt it's probably more like being in the Eastern European BM scene likely brings you into contact with nazis if you're not discerning about it, which they were/are not.

what's the names of some of these queer bm bands

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

in non-nazi "ugh why are these black metallers" lovely news I found out today that Woods of Infinity are pro-pedophilia! or at least "ironically."

I liked their weirdass music too. The Armagedda split is dope. too bad.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

you had guys like Ildjarn who were putting out real raw stuff in the early 90s, def feels like LLN codified the whole mystique/scene of it tho?

today I learned there's an Argentinian jazzy rock band called Vlad Tepes :v:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

check out Vindsval's other projects too, The Eye in particular is really cool. Children of Maani also good.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Are there any French black metallers who aren't nationalist shitlords? Peste Noire made such good loving music but Famine is just an absolute cockroach of a human being. Maybe Neige, but he's not really doing BM anymore. Alcest owns though.

One of my fave French acts is Nuit Noire which is best described as faerie black metal. Instead of dumb NS ideology Tenebras is obsessed with night, the moon, the woods, and of course faeries. The second half or so of the discog is very punky. It's very fun, very sloppy, very goofy music that I genuinely like a lot.

I got a 7" of theirs years ago on which he drew faeries with a sharpie on the case. Funny dude.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

is this a good thread to talk about dungeon synth in? idk if there would be enough interest to sustain a thread of its own

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Oldstench posted the canonical list of classic dungeon synth so definitely start there, Depressice Silence II in particular is the ur-dungeon synth

some stuff I've liked recently

Fogweaver - out with the Lord of the Rings, in with the Earthsea
https://thefogweaver.bandcamp.com/releases

Malter - the sounds of Arthurian legend
https://malfet.bandcamp.com/album/the-way-to-avalon

Vandalorum - more historical inspiration than fantasy
https://vandalorum.bandcamp.com/

Sombre Arcane - more than just synths, they even have vocals sometimes
https://sombrearcane.bandcamp.com/

Chaucerian Myth - this dude is dedicated
https://chaucerianmyth.bandcamp.com/

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Winter from Forest Silence & Sear Bliss had a one-off ambient release under the name Arud that is my favorite spacey dark ambient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TViCUeMF9E

There's a second track but it doesn't seem to be online anywhere :(

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hell yeah I just finished listening to Paysage d'Hiver's s/t not but a few minutes ago

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Went to a dungeon synth show and saw Sombre Arcane who were really neat. they have a magic wand instrument that somehow makes music while being waved around. very fun, they're touring up the West Coast so see em if they're near you.

Ildjarn's ambient stuff falls into the same general category I reckon. love THE TROLL DOME

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVRMWR2o_s

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

kinda wanted to grab the Departure Chandelier LP but Nuclear War Now sure looks like a fashy label

arghhh it's a good record tho

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

i'm digging this a lot. lo-fi, dirty, kinda post-punk, kinda black metal

https://braand.bandcamp.com/album/urkraft

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

even when I was a teen who didn't grok NSBM I thought KPN was no good idk their music never did it for me at all, so no I have not listened to the new one

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lol no dude Varg's been a CIA asset since the beginning, Euronymous had to go for flying too close to the sun when he discovered that eating Dead's brains juiced the adrenochrome way up

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

this is good and sorry about dog :(

I'm looking for recs for bm that's like mid-paced with lofi production and maybe has some synths thrown in, like Till and Winter Lantern or Akitsa even. what's the good stuff

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

oh yeah that's the ur-band of the kick I'm on, GOAT album that one is. I think I sorta figured out the opening riff to Forever Faithful to the Emperor which is good for me considering I am awful at ear learning.

thanks for he recs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

anything similar to Celestial Sword? I really like the kinda weird simplistic synths layered on top of the rest and cool vocals they got going on.