Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
I only listened to the new Alcest once but I would say it's actually his worst release yet. I didn't anything really memorable at all. Quite disappointing really since I had enjoyed everything before that including Le secret EP.

I also cannot enjoy Craft at all. I don't get why they're getting so much praise from everyone.

Also, Absu have been a band I've been wanting to get into for awhile. I've heard quite a few bits and pieces here and there which were quite decent but haven't hooked me. What should I start with?

I listened to some Coldworld today, I had forgotten about that guy for awhile. Quite enjoyable black metal when you're in the mood for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Manes is back it seems!

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

RHTITE posted:

Brilliant album and his best since Filosofem probably. Synth is gonna turn people off, for sure, but the music and composition are top notch.

Burzum and top notch composition don't go in the same sentence, and this is coming from a Burzum fan.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

A human heart posted:

Man, why bother to continue your band under a new name if you're not going to play any of your best material
Pretty sure he mostly wants to play new material when it's ready. Didn't Abbath say that he had quite a bit of material for a new album at some point?

Been on a huge Emperor, Negura Bunget and Agalloch binge in the last few days. It's been far too long!

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

I thought that was hilarious.

Been diving back into some Deathspell Omega recently, they really have some sweet stuff although a lot of people seem to hate them nowadays. When Si Monumentum came out, there was not a single dissident about them as far as I remember. Haven't payed attention to BM since back then, any good DsO-like bands?

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Does anyone have an idea of a distro that might still have copies of The Devil's Cradle book bout the history of Finnish BM? Can't find it anywhere anymore.

Been listening to a lot of Dornenreich again, I always forget how awesome their records are.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Siivola posted:

Abebooks knows of one used copy: link

Thanks for that! The price is however way too expensive especially right now. The shipping rate to here is absolutely insane as well.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Ulio posted:

Anyone listened to Peste Noire's last album? Not a fan of Famine's politics but I really liked their two albums before the latest one. Especially the La Chaise Dybale felt like some dark hillbilly french rock and it even had old war/marching songs adapted to black metal. Don't see any reviews for it but metal archive user review are very negative on it.

I really haven't gotten into anything he released after 2007 or so. His music and politics have just gotten worse and worse, he even contributes to far right rap which is just horrible. His use of literal black face recently doesn't sit really well with most people either. Honestly, some of the early stuff is quite good but gently caress Famine, what an absolute idiot.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Seeing bands like that tune and then very obviously go to the green room and change is funnier than just doing it on stage. Looking at you, Thantifaxath.

awwww awkward rich kids playing BM

That new Paysage d'hiver album was supposedly leaked from the listening session he had earlier but I haven't heard it.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Never said touring makes someone right but either way, I'll just leave it at that. Excuse my indecency.

I've been revisiting a lot of pagan black metal from when it was trendy, and man does a lot of it age absolutely horribly.

abske_fides fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 1, 2020

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
What are your go to black metal bands/songs/albums when it comes to awesome bass lines?

I'm not much into Marduk, but Christraping Black Metal has a few cool parts in the bass especially the start of the song with the figure in 7/4.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Everytime I revisit some Borknagar albums, I'm always astounded as to why they're not more discussed. I get it, they're proggy which isn't everyone's cup of tea but seriously what a fantastic band.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Forteresse will be releasing a graphic novel. To be fair, I've never really been into graphic novels much but for a band about being kvlt it's pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Wrong thread, sorry!

abske_fides fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 21, 2023