Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Anyone heard the new Darkthrone yet? Worth picking up?

It's good, I like it a lot (although tbf I also like bad Darkthrone albums). It's much more consistent than The Underground Resistance and just one huge riff-fest. A couple of songs could have been on Ravishing Grimness (this is a compliment) if Fenriz's drumming was worse. Also, Nocturno Culto's vocal performance is great again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Varg posted:

this is a good one-manned thing

https://voidcraeft.bandcamp.com/

holy poo poo

quote:

Like von Trier and Vinterberg, I intended to define a similar set of rules for my own music. I am known to be a creature of habit, a repetitive artist who advances mechanically into this world. Generally speaking, I experiment very little. This is why formulating and obeying such rules is not much of a challenge for me. At the time, the object of my hatred was not the Hollywood action flicks that von Trier detested so much, but the use of synthesizers and drum machines in extreme metal. I also resent contemporary recording techniques such as the over-use of punch-ins. These were the arbitrary rules I originally proposed in the aforementioned email to Luciano:

1. Rule of Sound: Only the following sounds may be used: distorted guitars, distorted bass, acoustic drums (no drum machine), high-pitched/low-pitched growls. Each one of these types of sound must be used at least once per track.

2. Rule of Recording: Each instrumental track and the vocals must be recorded in one continuous take, no segmented recording is permitted. The playback rate and the offsets of samples may not be digitally altered after they have been recorded.

3. Rule of Aggression: Each track must feature at least 30 seconds of blast beat (either traditional or hammer blast).

4. Rule of Effort: A track must be at least 2 minutes and 30 seconds in length and a release must be at least 40 minutes in length.

5. Rule of Language: The lyrics of a release must be written in a natural language (as opposed to constructed languages) and not more than one language may be used per release.

quote:

This is why the recordings are full of flaws I was unable (or unwilling) to correct. After all, it is closer to the way you would play it in front of a live audience. Mind you, I am not saying that playing live is the only true way of making music. In fact, I have never even been to a concert and my entire consumption and creation of music revolves around studio recordings.

:spergin: I don't know if I even want to hit play, it could really only be a letdown

e: :nallears: I wonder if that sperglord likes DSO

Smirr fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 2, 2017

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

This is the best black metal album cover imho

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Lol, wow. Yeah I was wrong.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I was just listening to the normie radio for normies and they had a concert recommendation, which was for Zeal and Ardor. It included the words "black metal". I feel like I'm 14 again and someone was wrong on the internet, and probably also how I'll feel when that stupid Lords of Chaos movie comes out.

What part of "If you are a false don't entry" is so hard to understand :corsair:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

cryme posted:

zeal and ardor loving sucks and that project's popularity is inexplicable

It's very the emperor's new clothes and I feel gaslighted as gently caress every time it comes up. Glad its not just me

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

You already mentioned Exuvia, so I'm going to exclude it from this list that is ranked roughly by how much I listened to the album in question

Gjendød - Nedstigning (very good, no qualms whatsoever except that the guy on the cover could stand to lose a few kg)
Chambre Froide - Rouges chapelles (tied with Gjendød pretty much)
Krolok - Flying Above Ancient Ruins (pretty shameless Master's Hammer worship but w/e)
Sarkrista - Summoners of the Serpents Wrath (super duper dumb, Finnish sounding BM from Germany, but it hits the spot)
Wiegedood - De doden hebben het goed II (occasionally too "post-*" sounding for me but I keep coming back, probably because I empathize with the repeated "I don't want to be" line in that one song)
Wode - Servants of the Countercosmos (still has to grip me like their debut did)
Туман - Zuhanás (An interesting take on "cosmic" black metal that is keyboard-free but I feel like back-to-back listens of this would give me OCD)
Celestial Grave - Pvtrefactio (these assholes need to release a proper album already)
Death Fortress - Triumph of the Undying (good material, absolutely unacceptable guitar tone)
Highland - Loyal to the Nightsky (this should probably be higher but tbh I'm too old to listen to albums that are 58 minutes long. But it's good)

Since you began your post with Ruins of Beverast, and the Nagelfar demos and miscellanea got a re-release in 2017, I want to plug a band on a technicality: if you are unfamiliar with Nagelfar, Alexander von Meilenwald's former band, absolutely give them a listen. If you're coming from RoB you should probably start with Srontgorrth, which is one of the best black metal albums I know. The other two are also very good, but Srontgorrth is just... man

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, that's thread title material.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Time to repost the poop album by the good Xibalba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtobXXcufag

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Proposition: Barathrum, but vaguely gothy, with synths, noisy wall-of-sound production, and tits on the cover. If this proposition intrigues you, click this link

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

antifacist activists keep getting Horna shows in the US cancelled and I think that's funny

anyway I've been listening to Panopticon and Falls of Rauros a lot, what's some more good nature or lord of the rings bm

I googled Sargeist the other day for some reason and the top result was a story about a German festival cancelling their appearance, because they're basically the same band as Horna, and... Horna had that Satanic Warmaster dork as a member for their first three albums? I guess? I genuinely don't know. Is there any more nazi dirt on Horna that I'm unaware of, because tbh that doesn't even register on my nazi scale, and I'm actually fairly pearl-clutchy when it comes to that stuff

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

skasion posted:

Shatraug is kind of a Nazi, the present fuss is because he was in some poo poo act called “Blutschrei” in the mid-00s that nobody ever heard of.

Lluvia
Arkhtinn
Wedrujacy Wiatr
Cantique Lepreux
maybe Obsequiae?

Ah hm well, there it is. I guess by having been in well over 9000 bands, you can hide that kind of stuff in plain sight. For gently caress's sake

Wedrujacy Wiatr are nazis too btw. Check out Stworz and past (but better yet, don't)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

"Not interested in politics" from an Eastern European black metal band usually means they're Nazis or at least okay with Nazis.

It means that from any band from any country, or *putting on D&D hat* from any person for that matter

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

entirely unironic and enthusiastic emptyquote

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Hell yeah, I love seeing the "Status: Disputed" tag on the Metal Archives

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I don't think I would have recognized this as a Misthyrming album if I hadn't been told. I'm only on the first song and while it still rules, I don't think I'm a fan of the keyboards (I am never a fan of any keyboards in metal)

e: OK in total I could identify it as a Misthyrming album, and the keyboards take a step back after the first song. Song 6 freaking rips

Smirr fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 25, 2019

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, that's a bit strange but I guess the standards for cancellation are changing.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

My take on Dissection is that it's not a black metal band

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

rofl

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I have literally never heard of any conspiracy theory dealing with any kind of metal ("jet fuel can't melt steel beams" excluded, obviously), let alone black metal

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Burzum were late-Soviet era desinformatsiya designed to make fascists look dumb as hell. Debut in 1991, same year as the dissolution of the Soviet Union. 1993 album called "Det som engang var". "That which once was" - sound like a certain something else to you? (It's communism)

I really wish my mind palace would have taken me to a place that isn't #resist-y as all hell, but all I could come up with otherwise was "Death SS were part of Operation Gladio"

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, that one's been in my rotation for a while. I really like it. Cool Dead Can Dance cover, too!

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

deadking posted:

Hey so a friend and I recorded a raw black metal demo. I think we're the first people to do that since 1997 (not looking this up). It sounds like it was recorded in a wind tunnel:

https://suebianknotbm.bandcamp.com/album/strettweg-sacrifice-chariot

If anyone is interested a tape label called Dismal Ruin is releasing a small run of cassettes tomorrow: https://dismalruin.bigcartel.com/

Finally someone is repping the Hallstatt culture. Nice pseudonyms, too! I like the atmosphere on this. I'm a bit torn on the drums - on the one hand they fit the ritualistic atmosphere, on the other hand I don't think they had drum computers in the Iron Age (yes, they DID have electric guitars, although few will admit this)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I feel like these guys would get a lot more on my nerves if their polka beats weren't so dummy thicc

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I have listened to Truchło Strzygi for a while and they are Almost Certainly Not Sus (the highest grade handed out to bands from Poland)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

deadking posted:

I missed this Gudsforladt record when it came out last year but it rules: https://gudsforladt.bandcamp.com/album/friendship-love-and-war

I haven't been able to stop listening to it in the last couple of days. It's so loving good

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Summoning completely rule and I'm glad you got to experience them for the first time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Atlas Moth posted:

These past few days has blessed us with some pretty sweet albums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhg9MGdXg6g

Personal AOTY so far and it came outta nowhere. Raw BM with a punk vibe, I like it a lot.

This whips rear end!