Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Lifelover, Amesoeurs, Joyless and I guess maybe LIK and Zaratustra is the sort of thing you're looking for. It's entirely possible you may like bethlehem as well.
If you feel at a later time you can stomach the vocals you may also like Mortifera and Celestia. And even if you don't, I'd still suggest you at least check out Fleurety's A Darker Shade of Evil EP.

To be honest, since black metal these days seems to be full mostly of trend-following money grabbers there should be plenty depressive rock/shoegaze/black metal albums out in the future anyway.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I'm not trying to completely poo poo over that list, but when you come out with statements like "I have searched the BM genre very, very deep and know of more quality bands than most people here" you had better be able to pick more than just surface-entrance music.

[edit] And as for wearing metal clothes in public - do it if you feel like it, but don't assume you have to. Forcing yourself to wear a sleeveless shirt because you want to keep up appearances is just as stupid as pretending you've never heard a metal cd in your life.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 28, 2007

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

brightfield posted:

Eldrig anyone? Just streaming a couple of their songs from Aquarius Records' website, and I'm intrigued. Anyone have either of these two new albums they put out Kali and Everlasting War Divinity? The comparison I'm about to make will sound a little crazy, but I would describe their sound as a mix between Mew and Summoning. Yeah, crazy, but it works for me.

A far better comparison would be Eldrig's other band, Fanisk, who's brand of unique symphonic progressive black metal is firmly entrenched in a league of its own.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The recommendations to the guy asking for japanese bm are loving hilarious, because it's pretty obvious you guys don't even read/know what he's asking for in your hurry to rattle off the 3 bands every moron and his mother knows of from that area.

To actually contribute a band that sound somewhat like Gnome, Samayoi looks like a promising new project.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Dyna Soar posted:

And you feel free to act like an arrogant prick.

In what way is he being an arrogant prick? It is indisputable fact that WITTR have received mainstream coverage like no other black metal band has in recent memory, hell they were reviewed in pitchfork, which incidentally led to quite a few more "mainstream" sites reviewing them. These reviews had two things in common - High scores, and laughable attempts at comparisons with other bands and to understand the "scene" in general. The only other band I've seen name-dropped anywhere near as often are bone awl, who are similarly overrated.

So called "black metal enthusiasts" find it pretty disgusting that people can label this band as unique, "the best usbm" or otherwise - because all that shows is a distinct lack of knowledge of the genre. Much like your comment about listening to "norwegian basement" recordings.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Dyna Soar posted:

Hah, so having a review on pitchfork makes a band bad? That's pretty loving retarded. He was being arrogant when he said that they're disliked because they're mediocre and don't deserve the attention they get, which a lot of people who know their poo poo disagree with. He was, as are you, making his opinion the absolute truth and the sole voice of anyone who knows anything about black metal.

Do you suffer from a condition that affects your reading comprehension? Being reviewed on Pitchfork does not necessarily make a band bad, in no way state or form was that said or implied. It was used as an example of mainstream mediums who do not have extensive knowledge of the material they are reviewing (and if you doubt the veracity of that claim, the review is available for you to read at their website).

Who cares about "lots of people who know their poo poo"? I don't base my opinions on whatever the majority believe, that sort of herd mentality is anathema to the music you're describing.

You are being just as arrogant when you refer to people as only listening to norwegian basement metal. And you're being deeply ignorant too - because as anyone who knows anything about black metal would tell you, the early greek, czech and french scenes offer material that is at least equal to, and is many cases vastly superior to, whatever the norwegians created. The norwegian scene is given more credit simply because of the media attention it garnered and the image it projected - much like the current wave of USBM bands.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP posted:

Also any bands you can recommend that do deeper black metal vocals like the Dark Fortress album. Its refreshing to hear something other than a screech.

Try Varathron's His Majesty at the Swamp. There is no screeching at all employed, but an almost gutteral, lazy growl. The pacing of the album is vastly different to something like DF though. Screeches aren't as dominant a feature of black metal as you'd think really. Obviously there's some famous and infamous exceptions, but in general that's a misconception propogated by mainstream coverage.

Dyna Soar posted:

Without all this media coverage you wouldn't be listening to bm. Again all I see is opinions stated as facts.

It is a logical fallacy to believe that someone would listen to a genre which spurns the mainstream purely as a result of its coverage. And I have stated nothing but facts, so perhaps you would like to research further inside the genre if you really regard it all as "opinion". You on the other hand, have done nothing but make assumptions about posters based on predefined ideas/prejudices.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Abyss Records in Indianapolis should have 1349 stuff. I've never bought from them though, so can't vouch for them.

http://www.officialabyssrecords.com/

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I wouldn't even call either of those albums "emotionally charged", nevermind put them at one and two in an all-time list of such albums in black metal.

I mean, have you even loving heard of Strid?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Death Rotisserie posted:

Fans of Deathspell Omega and Weakling/Wolves in the Throne Room should enjoy this album; it has the dissonance of DSO's newer works without the religious nihilism and the epic and organic feel of Wealking/WitTR. Fantastic basswork. It's pretty minimal but it's subtle in helping create the great chord progressions and chord resolutions this album has. And there's a bit of a shoegazey atmosphere without making the music feel blatantly or overtly hipster.

Sorry, your first statement completely contradicts your last. DSO after Inquisitors of Satan is basically now hipster material, Wolves in the Throneroom always have been hipster BM and Weakling were a relatively mediocre black metal band who have received far too much credit simply for being from the USA and now get more praise they don't deserve for being an influence of newer, shittier bands.

The new Arckanum album is alright, shame the best song was the one released on the EP as well. The new Mgla has its issues also, particularly the drum sound, which is weird considering Darkside is a drummer. I've still not bothered listening to the new Darkestrah.

Last year spoiled black metal a bit in that before january was over there were 3 top class albums out (of which Lunar Aurora's Andacht was probably the best). This year it's the oldschool death metal revival that's been pumping out the quality.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Kaiho posted:

Also I am laughing pretty hard at you guys cracking knuckles and huffing and puffing away at the tastes of a hypothetical someone else. Especially at Gr31lly.

What? The only people who're getting into a strop over this are the people screaming about "omg how dare you call my stuff hipster". I couldn't really care less what you listen to, however it is worth pointing out which bands are receiving completely undeserved hype so others don't think that they're universally acclaimed releases. Because they are not.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 1, 2008

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
1349 are pretty generic norsecore. They don't reinvent the wheel and they're not particularly amazing at what they do either. A mediocre band who garner a lot of attention because of who their drummer is and because he plays real fast.

Fast black metal does not make good black metal for the most part. Especially when all you're doing is playing someone else's riffs (or riffing style) at 4x the speed with a horrible snare fill overlayed.

If all you want is brutal and chaotic black metal with speed as the primary element Antaeus are the band to go to.

On another note, the only thing more terminally boring than the annual "Varg refused parole" notice is the following "is he/isn't he a rolemodel for our aryan children" debate.

And Captain Cancer, try Satanic Warmaster's Strength & Honour. The production is rather horrible, but you should appreciate at least one song on it. For Dissection like material I'd suggest Vinterland, Sacramentum, Setherial (Nord only, it's really more Emperor like, but it's loving amazing anyway) and early Sorhin.

Rain Temple, get yourself some Furze.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 2, 2008

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
As a general rule of thumb, if you can actually find black metal albums in a store they're either:

A) Extremely well known, cornerstone of the genre releases, which can probably be picked up on online distros for half the price, used for a third of the price, or on ebay for sweet gently caress all as long as you don't care about first editions.

B) Recently released shite by a well known band who's previous work still suckers people in.

C) Black metal on a relatively "major" label. If it's not a re-released/re-pressed well known album (see part A), avoid.

There are exceptions to this and you will find absolute bargains in the used section of many independent music stores (same for oldschool death metal), but 95% of the time if it's new and in a shop, the first online distro you look at will be far cheaper even after shipping.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Dyna Soar posted:

I think people who complain about the so called hipster black metal bands are just bitter that black metal isn't the super secret club they somehow think it used to be. People who aren't die hard into it are starting to listen to bm and show up on gigs (and making it, to some extent) and old fans are looking down their noses at them. I say this because bands like Wolves In The Throne Room, Krallice, Menace Ruine or whatever bands you guys think have hipster appeal don't really stand out in any other way except that they've had wider coverage outside the usual metal circles.

Nah, you're totally misunderstanding the hate they get.

It's not solely because they're getting exposure - it's because they're getting exposure and they don't deserve it over other bands. I personally would not have a problem with, say, Necros Christos getting shitloads of coverage and fans, because they're doing something that really merits attention and they're very good at it.

You're also going to get a lot of people who hate these bands purely because they are North American. The US scene in particular has been regarded as a complete joke for over a decade now and even now almost every release from it that is hyped is generally derisory, so it's quite easy to almost automatically disregard these bands.

I've never complained about Akitsa and Inquisition getting some press - because I think the bands merit attention.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah that's what I keep hearing, but it doesn't really explain it fully since the whole genre has benefited from the exposure, at least sales wise. I'm pretty sure that most people who found black metal via say WITTR have looked for similar stuff, and maybe ended up buying the less well known bands.

From what I've seen, this is not the case. Anecdotal, and easily disregarded of course, but the vast majority of those I've encountered who have listened to these bands based purely on hype from outside sources have not listened to anything other than that which has been spoon-fed to them.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Chromaplasm posted:

What are some criteria that one might use to judge whether a black metal album is good or bad?

Whether you like it or not is generally a good start :toot:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
There's shitloads of stuff like Emperor, but really, it depends on what era of their output you mean. I'd recommend Avzhia (sometimes spelled Auzhia)'s The Key of Throne and Dark Emperors if you like Emperor's output circa In the Nightside Eclipse.

I'd also suggest Setherial's Nord, which is a vastly underrated album for some reason, probably because people only remember what followed it.

As for Leviathan, why not look into Mutiilation, Vampires of Black Imperial Blood or Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul are the normal starting points there.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Not Very Metal posted:

What’s the consensus on Autopsy, the Blackened and Blackmetallilitto comps, Gospel of the Horns, Khors, and Tartaros?

Autopsy is loving amazing, but has little to do with BM (get mental funeral too), I generally dislike comps so I'm not going to comment on those, GotH is awesome, Khors is basically a shittier version of all the bands its members are otherwise involved in, and Tartaros is plain out weird, from what I remember the red jewel is very good at giving people headaches.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
1349 are pretty goddamn mediocre guys, and thinking they're good or even great is more of a testimony that you need to listen to more black metal than anything else.
Early material is derivative of darkthrone, later work is marduk cloning.

The reason for the progression in sound? They correctly identified the only reason the majority of people listen to them is to hear frost's drumming.

Do yourself a favour and listen to Nox Intempesta, Enthroned, Antaeus, early Impaled Nazarene or even (yuck) Dark Funeral, or, shock horror, the bands they're apeing.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Kaiho posted:

So is Darkestrah's The Great Silk Road really a bad album for you guys?

(I remember a fair bit of posts about it)

Yeah, it was bland and uninteresting.

As for female vocals, Dana Duffey always did a good job in Mythic and the vocals are fine in Demonic Christ.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 17, 2009

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Clothes Optional posted:

Lucifugum

Anyone mentioning Lucifugum who isn't talking about their early material (mostly the demos) is usually laughed at, and for good reason.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Having folk elements that for once aren't European in origin = bland and uninteresting?

For what it's worth I like Darkestrah a lot for at least trying something different. I like the music too though.

No, the album just never seemed to take off, the pacing is too singular.

Epos was a lot better in my opinion, and that was an entire album as a single song, which is much harder to pull off.

And for the record there's plenty of folk instrumentation in bands that isn't European. Go Listen to Xibalba's Ah Dzam Poop Ek.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
What an embarrassment that video is. The music has very little to do with black metal as well, it's just extreme symphonic metal with laughable harsh vocals.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

MrBling posted:

nerd

how is their newer stuff anyway? I don't think I've heard anything past the 2004 album.

Terrible, I guess they ran out of Kvist riffs to steal.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
This has been done countless times before, so I'm not even going to bother putting forth a list since it essentially devolves into post your favourite. Gorgoroth and Satyricon belong nowhere near such a list though, and that's really the wrong Emperor album, if you must have them present.

[edit] It's too Norwegian centric too. Despite what the propaganda machine may want you to believe, there's far better (and older) acts from different countries

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 4, 2009

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Edit: One thing would be for sure, Norway and the early 90's would be centric to this list.

And that would be why? Mercyful Fate, Tormentor, Mortuary Drape, Master's Hammer, Root, Mystifier, Blasphemy, Sarcofago, Von, Sodom, Death SS and Bulldozer are all arguably just as important as any band you've listed, and probably more important in most cases.

The LLN are influential in terms of the closed-off elitism and intentional restriction of material availability.

In terms of raw evolution of sound, bands like Throne of Ahaz, Belial and Profanum also must be considered.

Duck and burger posted:

1. (2007) Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum

Please describe exactly what is so important about an album made up of riffs Kvist already used to perfection on Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

In my opinion, not recognizing this would be the same as dismissing Florida or Sweden to the early 90's death metal scene or even Seattle in the 90's grunge movement.

You've got the opposite problem. You're missing the forest for the trees. To take your example, what you're doing is talking about black metal in a way which would directly equate to talking about death metal while pretending only the swedish scene actually counted.

I also missed bands such as Vulcano out. Go look up interviews with Fenriz and others, hell check out his "best of oldschool black metal" album for his opinion on the influential bands. You can hear riffs directly lifted from Root and others in the material of the norwegian bands.

To call Tormentor and Blasphemy amongst others "lesser known bands" doesn't dismiss their influence, which is apparently what you're trying to guage; it just promotes a view that is exactly what your self-imposed restrictions of geography and original list already suggest - you're ignorant.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 4, 2009

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

aliencowboy posted:

Hellenic black metal from Greece

:lol:

Rather than just laugh at your complete lack of vocabulary, I'll point out the main players:

Varathron, Necromantia, Rotting Christ, Agatus, Nocternity, Deviser, Fiendish Nymph, Vorphalack, Nergal, Legion of Doom, Thou Art Lord, Zemial. Naer Mataron's earlier work is also inidicative of the Greek scene, and there's the demo bands like Tatir which excude both Hellenic and Norse influence.

More recent Greek bands of note include The Order of the Ebon Hand, Burial Hordes and Worship/Stutthof/Acherontas, but not all continue the sound of the old; newer bands (eg. Dodsferd) are sometimes punkier. Embrace of Thorns sound like Necros Christos or Goat Molestor.

The scene in greece is, was, and probably always will be very incestuous. So if you come across a band you particularly like the sound of, odds are they've been in one or more bands you'll also like. A good example of this is that Zemial is essntially Agatus and one of the brothers have each been involved in Varathron, Kawir or Nocternity at some point.

There's also the death metal/atmospheric stuff like early septicflesh and horrified.

And you should probably get Varathron/Necromantia - Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins.
Zemial, incidentally, are far more thrashy on their EPs and Face of the Conqueror/Necrolatry is probably a better release than in monumentum.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 8, 2009

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Oh well, I guess it's up to Infernus now to prove that he has actually been the creative force.

You say that as if the relative quality of the first 4 albums hasn't already solidified his point. Gorgoroth's material has taken a noticeable dip in quality since the point King and Gaahl claimed Infernus stopped writing music - talk about damning their own cause. Gaahl and King ov Hell were never integral to Gorgoroth and their success, and only a johnny-come-lately would think otherwise.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Eh, considering some of the summer festivals we get, that's a pretty mediocre tour :D
Now if it were the same bands 10 years ago...

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Pretty amusing hearing the keyboard player from dimmu fuckin borgir moaning about the lack of respect for his compositions. Considering his predecessor was pretty well known for stealing music from other bands as well as videogames, I'm not really surprised the other band members were less than enthralled by his input.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Meh, here's some easy examples of stuff other people aren't likely to recommend. You'll hear all about burzum, bathory, darkthrone, ildjarn, blasphemy, beherit, sarcofago etc on any reputable metal website/list anyway.

Svartsyn - Skinning the Lambs
Svartsyn, from Sweden, have been around since the early 90s, and have made a number of albums now, each progressing away from their original sound, and becoming more like fellow swedes Arckanum. This a song from the split between the two bands and shows mature, yet savage development.

Kvist - Min Lekam er Meg Blott en Byrd
After Emperor released their early material, plenty of bands were influenced by their material, some made careers out of apeing it. Setherial and Kvist improved upon it. This song, and the entire album features chaotic riff paterns, dissonant chords, and and a hectic, but ultimately melancholic atmosphere. Several bands have lifted riffs from this particular song, and the album, wholesale.

Inquisition - Hail the King of All Heathens
This song summarises this band's output - riff driven occult black metal. Almost religious in the atmosphere it creates (as anyone who's seen this band live will attest), repetitive, yet not boring guitar work drives the croaking vocals. Utterly unique, and completely essential.

Mystifier - Give the devil his due
Ignore the dorky vocals at the beginning, this is true black metal from the depths of south america, but unlike other counterparts has progressed away from the savage thrash/black style so prevalent (and obviously, due to the influence of Von, Vulcano and Sarcofago).

Mortuary Drape - Astral Bewitchment
Sound quality on this one is loving terrible, but hey, it's not about that. Atmosphere driven black metal that is both doomy but thrash influenced. Mortuary Drape are an absolutely ancient band and one of the fathers of the genre. But vastly underappreciated.

Xibalba - Furor Antiquus
Legendary Mexican band, who are as well known for their split with Azhia as they are for their habit of randomly inserting king crimson riffs into demos. And for having poop in their album name.

Xantotol - Devilish
Polish cult, never released a full length, exuding the airs of doom, strong bass presence. Reminiscent of Barathrum at their finest, or Samael.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

DethklokworkOrange posted:

I like Dark Funeral :colbert:. I get from them what Dimmu Borgir has refused to give me for the last decade.

But Dimmu still make shite black metal? :confused:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Nothing comes close to Vediog Svaor in terms of odd black metal that still sounds good really. Except possibly Zaratustra - It Was A Night, which remains one of my favourite black metal albums despite having, well, so much wrong with it.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Neither of the gorgoroth or immortal albums is anywhere near as good as Pest's Tenebris Obortis. I mean, I fully expected that, but more of you really should check it out.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
That Ov Hell stuff is almost as terrible as the promo pics they've used.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Go listen to Poccolus. Their self-titled album features some folky passages and some straight up black metal featuring some varg-like screams. Then go listen to everything Nasheim have ever recorded, it's not folk anything but it's good.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Caucasus Belli posted:

Ondskapt are playing at the end of the month, anyone know what they're like live?

They're going to be blown off the stage by the support bands.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Chaos Gnostic/Anti-Cosmic (Satanism) is a fairly big trend in black metal. Jon Nodveidt was heavily involved with it (MLO/TOBL) and other prominent black metal figures include Shamaatae of Arckanum.

I've split it up like that because there's a fuckload of bands who identify with the anti-cosmic part (ie. they hate all levels of the known universe), but disregard the satanic element in favour of heathen belief (eg. Sons of Fenris, any other band on the Scythe of Death label).

The core beliefs are basically hating the entire universe, wanting to kill god(s) and, if you embrace the satanic part, worshipping the devil. The chaos gnostic part comes in learning specific "rites" that allow oneself to encounter deities.

Sumerian themes are one of the other big trends in metal, which makes Shaarimoth pretty amusing.

Btw, for the record, Gaahl wasn't even Gorgoroth's best frontman, so his inclusion on any list of that type is laughable. This is ignoring the fact that the list was compiled by a label with next to no credibility these days!

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Plasma1010 posted:

As a frontman Gaahl did an excellent job. He literally pulled Gorgoroth out of the pool of general Black Metal groups and put them on the higher known Black Metal platform. Whether this is something you disagree with in Black Metal or not, I absolutely can find no reason why he shouldn't be compiled on that list of greatest frontmen.

What on earth are you babbling about? Gaahl "literally" did nothing of the sort - he was a johnny-come-lately to that band and his only contribution was the musical stagnation of one of the more established 2nd wave bands. If he did anything it was turn Gorgoroth into a laughing stock, beloved of people with the same mentality that gobbles up Dethklok and it's ilk.

quote:

He is an excellent Black Metal vocalist involved in many great project (Gorgoroth, Gaahlskagg, Wardruna, Trelldom) and a very hosed up individual.

He's an "exellent black metal vocalist"? have you ever seen Gorgoroth live? I have, many times, and most of my recollections of Gaahl are: his terrible range, and how he murders the vocals on the early material. His involvement in Gorgoroth was detrimental, and Trelldom were nought but Darkthrone worship (although their 2nd album is not bad at all, and I'd say it's his best work to date). I've never heard anyone mention Gaahlskag as something to seek out (because it isn't), and Wardruna have released one album, and it's nothing special within the realm chosen.

As for "hosed up individual" - so is Mortuus of Marduk/Funeral Mist, so was Dead, so is Varg, so was Jon Nodveidt. That is far from unique, and anyone who sees Gaahl as some uniquely dark snowflake is merely unexposed to most black metal. gently caress it, according to that Absurd must be the holy grail of black metal?

quote:

Hes reigned the cover of Terrorizer and other mags, and been the talk of many a Black Metal circle. What else is it that makes a great frontman ? A frontman is a good vocalist who works also as a public eyepiece for a group. Hat and Pest were awesome in Gorgoroth as well, but they wernt public eyepieces. See, Gaahl was.

Terrorizer? Who gives a crap what magazines give you a spread? Getting terrorizer to love you is simply a matter of being on the right label or band and seeing as Gaahl had joined one of the bigger norwegian bands still around he was guaranteed covers. My only experiences of talking to people actively involved in black metal was more disgust or apathy at his documentary appearances. Hat and Pest were/are superior vocalists, and Gorgoroth was always about Infernus - it's interesting to note that Ghaal and King state that it was october 2007 when they decided to kick Infernus out his own band, given that Gaahl had only given his interview to Peter Beste in April of that year. I'd argue that Gaahl in most of his appearances in media was furthering his own agenda rather than any band's, which would be entirely counter-productive to being it's "frontman".

And the reason the list is shite is because it's missing hundreds of people, a fair few because their bands were once signed with roadrunner/roadracer.