Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
The stoner/doom thread has worked out so well, it seems time for a dedicated :black101: thread again. I don't really know how best to kick off a genre thread, so let's start by throwing out some Best of Black 2007s and recent listenings.

I hereby nominate Sworn - The Alleviation for black album of the year. It's arguably the closest thing we have to Windir's greatness right now. Great drumming, interesting guitar work, and no keyboards shoved to the front of the mix. I can't think of a bad song on the album. The title track had been my uncontested favorite track, but Heart of Decay is every bit as awesome. This is definitely a band where all the members are listening to each other and playing off it.

Sworn is loving going places :)

BIG fan of this melodic black poo poo coming out of norway and sweden these days. Sigtyr, Sworn, Vreid, Galar, I'm a kid in a candy store these days.

Also a strong contender is Darkthrone's FOAD. Canadian Metal alone makes the album a must have. Good and underproduced, even if the vocals sound like they were recorded somewhere else and mixed differently from the band, it all rules. Underproduced and dirty, even HUMOR from a black metal band. Is that a King Diamond wail they pull at the end or a canadian I can't think of? It seems to me they have someone in mind for the song but the King doesn't fit the bill.

On the melodic front, I just got a hold of Iskald's Shades of Misery. Fans of the genre should enjoy this. I'm only on my first listen, kinda quiet at work, but I'm again finding a pleasant lack of keyboards and some sinister melodies at work.
http://www.myspace.com/iskald

And doesn't it figure Gorgoroth whips up bullshit internal drama right when I come around to them. Ad Majorem got me into them and by the sounds of things it will be their last album together. Which of the two sides is largely responsible for their music, or do they actually all contribute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Technetium posted:

I came in here to praise FOAD but it seems I was beaten before there was even a first post. While it might not be straight, or tr00, Black Metal, it's still drat awesome. I think it's technically "Black N Roll" but that's probably just being pedantic. I'm not a huge fan of Black Metal, yet, but FOAD is really fun and awesome.

My other nomination, if they count, is Sigh - Hangman's Hymn. They still seem to be somewhat Black Metal at least, and it's one of my top contenders for album of the year. It's one of the craziest albums I've ever heard, and I just can't stop listening to it.

I'm a big fan of the black'n'roll sound. Not as much as the fanboy I seem to be for the new melodic movement, but I like where it's going. IXXI is doing it well too, but FOAD is hands down the best example of it yet, I think.

Satyricon might have helped start it, but they've been trumped by just about everyone to do it after them.

I have to give Sigh another listen. I first heard them when I was practically anti-black metal, but I should try again now that I'm warming up to it all.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

mr.vj posted:

What really got me into Sigh was just how much there is going on in the music. There's lots of different elements that somehow don't manage to drown out others, making it into a chaotic yet fluent listen. It's definitely something that you need to listen to a few times to really appreciate it.

Sounds like something best taken with a touch of :350:?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

mr.vj posted:

I'm also going to say that the beginning of "Carving a Giant" off of "Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam" is probably one of the best things black metal has to offer.

That was the song that got me interested in the album. I heard it on the comcast metal channel, couldn't see the band at first, but when I saw it was Gorgoroth I was pretty surprised I liked it as much as I did.

I enjoy the alternating dynamic the rhythm has with the melody. Drums lay off for a beat, guitar is there filling the gap, and vice versa. Is it me or do the drums actually highlight the swing beats on 2 & 4, giving the album an almost violent groove? Or do I listen to blues and jazz so little now that I'm hearing 1 & 3 and reverting back to my native whiteboy rhythm?

mr.vj posted:

Hahaha, for some reason the beginning just almost has this death metal feel, and since that's my main genre of choose, it really draws me in.

Maybe that's why it grabbed me too. It's definitely not leaning towards what I traditionally think of black metal being anyway. I can't dig a wall of endless blastbeats and wails for 8 songs. Blastbeats to me are like buttfucking: fantastic when you need to get up to 11, but too much and it's endless streams of poo poo.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 15, 2007

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

The Goat Problem posted:

In recent black metal news, though, I hear the new Darkthrone is kind of poo poo. I haven't heard anything since The Cult Is Alive, and I liked that. Anybody heard the new one?

3/6 posters have raved about it in the 2 hours the thread's been open. Your source is a shithead.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Auritech posted:

King had been writing most of the last few albums (ever since he joined for Incipit Satan, really) and all of Ad Majorem. Basically, King wrote all the music for Ad Majorem alone, with no creative input from Infernus at all. Infernus basically just recorded his guitar parts. Gaahl, of course, wrote and recorded his vocals right before he did that stint in prison.

Infernus, with the exception of one or two songs along the way, hasn't been doing much of the songwriting since Destroyer. That, on top of his allegedly being belligerent and disrespectful to basically about everyone, is the reason why they want to continue without him.

Oh so Infernus is one faction, Gaahl and King are the other? I see.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Auritech posted:

Pretty much. Also, though Gaahl and King control the main website and the Gorgoroth myspace account, I think they may be prepared for a name change if they have to since the website is now "theforcegorgoroth.org."

And re-reading that post, I should try posting less whilst just awakening, I make a lot of redundant statements. :(

I'm enough of a pothead that I didn't even notice, also first thing this morning :) hooray morning after sedation!

Too much information is rarely a bad thing for music. Glad to see the two creative forces behind the band are together though. With all the noise about it in the metal thread it sounded like neither side would be the real drive behind the band.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 16, 2007

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

het posted:

Countess and Darkthrone are going to be up there for me this year.

With that kind of praise I think I should check out Countess

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

acup posted:

I got Sworn's new album simply because of the recommendations, and I've just listened to the first song and god drat do they have some nasty riffs. This poo poo is awesome.

Their musicianship is pretty much why I ignore anyone crying they're not black enough. If the state of their grimness outweighs their playing the poo poo out of their instruments, I have nothing to talk about with that kind of mindset.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Death Rotisserie posted:

This year has been pretty good for black metal so far. Sear Bliss put out another epic and melodic album, combining good guitarwork with amazing trombone leads and countermelodies.

I'm digging this aside from the overused keyboards. I've only heard their myspace songs but not too shabby. The trombone is either missing from or mixed low in those songs, so maybe a bigger dose of it will turn me off. If there's ever an instrument I don't associate at all with metal...

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 21, 2007

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Resistance posted:

Alright, needless to say, I am a black metal noob. I am new to the genre, and thus am looking for some recommendations. What are some "MUST LISTEN TO" Black metal albums/bands? Recommend away! :)
Thanks.

Windir - 1184

The rest will fall into place.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Bushmeister posted:

I think Mortuus has a really nice vibe to his vocals which makes him easily identifiable, plus his stage presence is pretty drat majestic to boot.

He certainly didn't put much effort into what D&D name to use. What a blatant ripoff.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Gr31lly posted:

shoegaze

I am extremely happy I have no idea what the gently caress kind of music this could include, because it sounds like it would be the gayest poo poo in history. "so awesome your feet will seem interesting"

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Windir

As a total fanboi, let me point you in the direction of Sworn, Iskald, Mistur, Sigtyr, Vreid, Galar....off the top of my head that should keep you busy for a while.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 29, 2007

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Wow. I underestimated how lovely this would be. It's so boring even the loving band is half asleep on stage.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

het posted:

Jesus Christ, we get it, you're a closed minded rear end in a top hat. Nobody loving cares.

Jesus Christ, we get it, you have to comment on every post you don't like, grow the gently caress up and put me on ignore if you don't like it.

Nova Bizzare posted:

I was going to agree with you, but I see I saved myself some "Your opinion is retarded you closed minded dick!!" comments.

HamsterHuey posted:

So is this like a gimmick of yours or are you really just an idiot or something?

Ah god bless the internet, where everyone's opinion is wrong but your own :rolleyes:
Why don't both of you ignore list me too, we have nothing to talk about.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 30, 2007

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

het posted:

Nova Bizarre was agreeing with you.

My mistake

Street Butler posted:

Well, Darkthrone's The Cult is Alive strikes me as pretty silly sometimes with songs like Graveyard Slut (I think Fenriz did vocals on that) and Too Old, Too Cold.

I didn't know FOAD wasn't their first To-11 album! Was Cult the same style as FOAD or was it a progression step towards it?

edit: meaning can I expect more songs like "Raised on Rock/FOAD/Canadian Metal" or were they working up to that level of awesome?

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 30, 2007

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I'm surprised, and disappointed, so many of you give a poo poo what others think about your musical tastes.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

brightfield posted:

I'm assuming the question was directed to those of us who are not in college anymore.

The only people who care what others think of their music haven't even reached college yet.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Razor posted:

To be honest, I don't really give a poo poo what people think. If I'm around people at work or in my car, I play metal that all of us will enjoy. And I'm 23.

That's what I'm saying. I really can't believe anyone out of their teens really thinks they're being judged by everyone within earshot and that friend and colleague alike will write them off. Nobody's saying to blast poo poo full volume all the time and have your bands tattooed on your forehead, but to actively hide music like leprosy....wow.

poo poo while I was typing this one of the company owners walked in to ask for some things, a true WASP by every meaning of the word, and he doesn't even bat an eye with 1184 playing.

Gvaz posted:

I don't care what others think of my music either, but (a little deviating here) one thing I'd never do is impose music like Marduk or something on others.

"Hey man, lets listen to some killer Marduk!" that doesn't really work with my friends who like metalcore, although I wish it did so they'd stop listening to it for the most part. :(

It's give and take. When my punk fan friend drives/hosts, I hear punk and thrash. Not always a fan but not always against it either. But it's his space, his tunes. When he's with me he listens to whatever is on. Sometimes he likes it, sometimes not. But even the poo poo he doesn't like might pique his interest in something else, even just as a conversation starter. "I like these guys aside from all the double bass" "oh well then have you heard X" "hey I kinda like this" and he's got a new band to listen to.

Kick your friends in the complacency now and then, and let them do it to you. Even if you think they listen to total poo poo, you might at least help turn them on to good music here and there.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 27, 2007

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Calling all Windir merch seekers! Punkstuff actually has a full stock of logo hoodies, and for us tall and/or fat fucks, they have 2XL!!!

http://www.punkstuff.com/windir-zipper-hoodies-c-29-p-1-pr-400446.html

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

Well you know, the harsh life of being a jew.

You're just a dick from start to finish aren't you. Here I thought you were just an rear end in a top hat about music.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

Well, it's either that or you guys are a couple of weeping vaginas.

I don't know why I haven't put you on ignore before now, but I know I won't miss your scenester poo poo at all.

This will be a christmas gift that keeps on giving.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Earwicker posted:

He's a scenester because he's making fun of you for whining about a joke?

No this is just another post in the endless stream of poo poo he talks.

torjus posted:

Personally I like this move

Hah! Is he losing his balance for a second.....or does he dance like that on stage routinely?

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 27, 2007

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I won a prize at my work's Christmas party for "Most Outlandish Taste in Music". Then I left the party at about 8.15 and went to see Gorgoroth. Then came back to the party after the gig (there was a free bar and by that point everyone was in a conga line). My workmates all think I'm mad, but in a good way, I think :)

Nice! Gorgoroth and a work xmas party is a story to be retold for years to come!

The plus side to listening to metal at work, at least if you're unfortunate enough to be in IT, is that the easily impressionable people either come by less, or just send emails when they need something. Everyone wins!

A side benefit is that nobody comes by to ask if you saw American Idle or heard the latest Britney gossip: it's assumed you don't give a poo poo :)

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 28, 2007

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Razor posted:

I'd actually prefer to see something by Windir. Vreid is an alright band, but for a black metal sampler pack, Windir is almost essential.

Blodssvik!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Dyna Soar posted:

Depends on what kind of music you listen to. If there's a lot going on, 160k is way too low to capture everything. And despite what some people say, I can definitely hear the difference between 128k and lossless.

Unquestionable there's a noticeable difference. Not in a lot of blackmetal since it's so underproduced, but even with Immortal's new stuff, I have a 160vbr version of Sons and a 320 one. There is a profound difference. Highs are higher, lows are lower, and the middle is far more dynamic.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Auritech posted:

DMDS is a funny animal to me because my appreciation of it came in waves. At first, my reaction was 'ugh, Attila's vocals!' Then, I actually started liking his vocals (with the exception of whatever he was doing in the title track). Also, I thought the songs all sounded the same, but each song revealed itself to me in a different way later on, and now I can appreciate the whole album as just something dark and intense. I don't know if I'm the only one whose reacted this way to it, but it was a strange evolution. It may not be a compositional masterpiece but the atmosphere in it is its greatest strength.

Not with that album, but with In The Nightside Eclipse. I hated the guitar production and vocals, grew to love the muffled bulldozer guitar sound by way of the Black Wizards track, and eventually used that as a rosetta stone to break down their other songs and see what was actually going on by way of what I already dug. Now the whole thing is one big piece of northern ice when I hear it, in different acts.

I can't stand any newer Emperor albums, but that album to this day blows my mind.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 4, 2008

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Mr. Heavy posted:

What lowpass was your 160VBR rip encoded with? 320CBR is almost universally better than 160VBR, but there's a lot of really lovely encoders out there that completely mess up the lowpass.

Absolutely no idea. I don't really care if I'm giving up storage space with solid 320 unless it's drastically overkill, like a mid-90's BM album. VBR seems to gently caress with my mp3 player sometimes if I FF through a bit of a song, too. Have to pull the battery and all and that means having to stop for a minute if I'm driving.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Sinner King went out of his way in an ask/tell thread about black metal and gave us a grim colbert!

This bitch needs to be added to :black101:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone with Comcast digital and a half hour to kill, Abbath is on OnDemand under the guitar lessons section playing Heart of Winter, handful of others.

It loving rules but it's abbath so it goes without saying.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Even if you're not getting laid tonight, Abbath loves you just the same

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Mordekai posted:

Haha, this is the gayest band picture ever taken. They're called Törr and are from the Czech Republic.

And here I thought you couldn't outgay manowar. Torr makes Manowar look like John Wayne.

What ISN'T wrong with that picture

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Gvaz posted:

Honestly I don't want to look too hard to find out :psyduck:
It looks like a heavy metal band trying to be black metal or something tbqh.

It's the crotchsax I'm most curious about, and why the other two are so loving happy about it

I played tenor in highschool and I never smiled about it like that, but I guess I should have tried being on the receiving end?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Kaiho posted:

Everyone's favourite hosed-up germanic gnome Varg Vikernes is up for parole this month. Does anyone have any details?

After the poo poo he pulled last time, he's not going ANYWHERE. Between being the scourge of norwegian christianity and holding people at gunpoint, nobody's letting that guy out.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Dyna Soar posted:

He was, as are you, making his opinion the absolute truth and the sole voice of anyone who knows anything about black metal.

Welcome to NMD metal threads

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

After someone in here stood up for black metal from non-scandinavian countries I looked into a few bands. I have to agree, Kludde and Gorath are loving GREAT. Early 90's sensibility with more attention to rhythm and groove.

If only either one had more than one album out.

Anyone familiar with Kludde and Gorath, who else should I look at?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Holocaust is a big step away from where Sons ended up, but in terms of less melodic black metal, it's their best poo poo by a mile.

If you dug what you've heard of 1184, Likferd is every bit as good (Blodssvik is my favorite song of theirs) and there's a bit of a push of new bands like them. If you look back a few pages my posts will be littered with them, all have myspace pages.

If you end up liking Pure Holocaust, Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse is similar and every bit as required.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

polarity posted:

How is Pure Holocaust less melodic than than SOND? Are you just conflating "melodic" with "commercial"? To me, Immortal's later work seems to be typified by a decrease in complex melodic content.

I am conflating nothing, since that doesn't mean what you think it does. But you're equating melody with complexity. I said nothing about complexity at all, just that melody was the focal point later on, where I don't hear that happening on earlier records.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

ReDiNmYhEaD posted:

Ahoy, I've been given a ticket to see At the Gates in San Francisco next week, and while I know of them and have heard a few tracks I'm largely new. Could someone suggest a starting place?

They've only got 4 albums, you don't have much ground to cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I liked the idea behind the black'n'roll on Volcano and Rebel but I don't like their execution of it.