Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I just got the Gorgoroth Live in Krakow dvd. It's loving GREAT. The sound quality is better than all of the albums they're playing songs from. It's good enough you'll want to rip the audio. I only wish it was recorded after Ad Majorem so I could have seen Sign of an Open Eye live.

Absolutely a must for any fan. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Yes, it's a 14 year old Korean musician :black101:

Can one get frostbite in korea?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Qu Appelle posted:

Yes.

In your seoul.

WOW

well done

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Not Very Metal posted:

Agreed. It's awesome to see Infernus and Gaahl together on stage. Actually, this is one of my favorite lineups of the band in general. Also love the Kvitrafn shots between the toms. So evil.

I just really hope what I've read is right, that Infernus hasn't written much and King and Gaahl have been taking more of that on in the last few years. The whole two band thing is gay enough but to think both might really suck without the other...

It's also kinda depressing to think the Gaahl band might not be able to play the pre-Destroyer songs anymore, but I don't know how that sort of thing works.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Not Very Metal posted:

If I remember right, I think King and Gaahl have been doing most of the writing for the last two or three albums. You can really tell; I think everything post-Destroyer has moved away from the classical music influenced BM into more of the "Second Wave" sound. Case in point would be the industrial elements of Incipit and guttural overdistortion of Twilight.

I registered an account on the Gorgoroth forums, and the cool thing there seems to be hating on the Gaahl/King incarnation. Honestly, I don't get it. Not only do I think that they've produced some of their best works with Gaahl, I think that he specifically is one of the better vocalists in the genre. I haven't heard any legal discussions that haven't been centered around the Grieghallen fiasco, so I'm not sure what kind of copyrights Infernus will be able to secure either.

In any case, this band is easily in my personal top five BM bands (with any lineup), and I don't mind admitting that I'm a complete Gorgoroth slut. Florist, I'll extend your original invitation regarding the DVD from any fan of the band to any fan of BM in general. Seriously, pick it up.

I have to agree with you, I think the band really improved once Gaahl joined. Him singing his predecessors' songs improves them leaps and bounds, and I think Infernus learned to play better over the time as well so even the music sounds better now. The Gaahl albums are my favorites, and frankly I really liked the direction Ad Majorem was going.

Not that I think there's any chance of it happening, but how awesome would it be for them to have Abbath take Infernus' spot in the Gaahl/King band :black101:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

You don't even get a day off from work in north korea, unless it's for the country's birthday. And even then, people usually only get that once in their lives. Ain't no metal coming out of the beroved reader's territory.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

aliencowboy posted:

Also, any other more melodic Black Metal along the lines of Sworn would be fuckin' sweet.
http://www.myspace.com/swornband

I somewhat agree with those calling Sworn less-than-black, but I'm with you on the fan bus. If you can stand a bit more frost on the melodic sound, Sigtyr, Feigd, Mistur, Iskald, Gjenferdsel, Galar, newer Immortal, and obviously Windir.

All have myspace pages to give you a good idea of their sound.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Misogynist posted:

In the context of black metal what the gently caress does this even mean

White leather bullet belts?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

krustster posted:

I like the idea of a concert crowd for one of those bands being half a bunch of scowling dudes with their arms crossed wearing that uniform, and the other half is smiling guys in bright orange sweaters.

Those guys would be scowling because they're reevaluating their musical tastes on the spot

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I agree, gently caress him sideways. Not for anything he did, but for being such an ego maniacal dildo.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Just ask any first year guitar student to fumble around pentatonic scales, slowly, over and over again and it'll be just like a burzum record.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

IntoTheNihil posted:

nice to see some people still don't know poo poo about Varg

edit: oh god, your next post made it even better :lol:

It sucks so bad that he's not being let out. Oh well, hosed up laws.

Well you put a lot of thought into proving us all wrong. This must have taken you an hour to research and write.

He's a joke on wheels, even moreso now with his white power faggotry.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

IntoTheNihil posted:

Morbid: I don't really care to prove anything but you calling him an attention whore is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah that book packed with interviews he's given is a sure sign to me that the guy doesn't want attention. I know when I lay low the first thing I do is call the papers and a photographer and rant about how everyone and everything BUT me is the root of my problems.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

IntoTheNihil posted:

So wait, giving interviews about being in the biggest event in a genre's history is grabbing for attention?

It's the definition of it. Publicity = attention

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

IntoTheNihil posted:

I guess musicians should just run away and hide whenever someone wants to know their side of the story.

You're the one that called him an attention whore, so answer that one yourself. But if a band (even a one man band) wants to act like the genre wouldn't exist without him, kills the figurehead of said genre, they're not giving a side of a story, they're being an ego maniacal dildo.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 2, 2008

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Fistful of Lotion posted:

Now I've got a question, do you guys switch genres a lot? Sometimes I find myself getting horribly jaded over black metal and I have to listen to other things for a while. What are your listening habits, if this is an appropriate place to ask.

I've been on the longest black metal kick of my life the last few months, but I definitely need to switch gears every few months but I don't leave the realm of metal for anything but Blues. Death and stoner/doom are my other addictions in metal.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

the wizards beard posted:

I've never really understood this, even though I know people who are the same way. Seriously, nothing but metal or blues? You don't listen to anything else?

Nope. I spent the first 15 years of my life trying out everything people said was great, and I hated music pretty much until a friend gave me Use Your Illusion 2. It was the first time music grabbed me as something FOR me. I HATE techno, electronica, indie, you name it I've probably tried it and turned it down. I want guitars and aggression in my music. Blues may not SOUND aggressive but it was the metal of its day.

Very little music these days has balls.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

That's weird, I was like that until about 17 or 18 and then I started branching out (within metal and with other genres). I'm probably not going to change your mind but I just think it's strange that you don't (or can't) listen to other stuff, even if it as agressive as metal. You like stoner though, do you listen to pyschedelic stuff, or drone?

Well the only thing that got me into metal in the first place is the only thing that's missing from everything else. My complete lack of interest in everything else I was exposed to, and it was a LOT of the musical spectrum, leads me to believe had I not had that one metalhead friend in highschool I'd probably still have no interest in music at all.

As far as psychedelic, I really like Mammatus, Earthless, early Pelican and Zebulon Pike, but stuff like Phish and the Dead I can't stand. VERY little drone. In fact the only drone band I haven't gotten sick of after a few listens is The Deep Blue. It fits its name too well, and to me it just drones on and on.

I think I just NEED that aggression, guitars being played so hard it could classify as instrument rape.

This sums it up perfectly

Rain Temple posted:

I always felt really envious of people who can say "ooh, I like a bit of everything, you know", but then again I'd much rather be ecstatically passionate about a few things than content with everything so I can't complain :)

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

There was a time when if you were a metalhead and you listened to anything BUT metal, you would get mercilessly teased. I mean, you could listen to the classic rock precursors to metal but that was about it. In 1988, if you had long hair and a denim jacket with a back patch of the Kill 'em All album cover on it (which I had), you absolutely could not admit to also liking, say, Depeche Mode.

I'm really loving glad that this has changed and people that listen to BM can talk about listening to trance and CPop without being called a massive human being.

I wouldn't go that far :colbert:

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 6, 2008

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

It makes me feel better that people in the home countries of these bands pay as much as I would have to to import them. Still doesn't make $20-30 per album any better to swallow, but I know I'm not the only one taking it in the mouth.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

dxt posted:

but Pure Holocaust is probably the best Immortal album, definitely the best of their earlier stuff :confused:

Pure Holocaust is their best, but it's not for black metal rookies. Heart of Winter is better for that IMO.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Can sewers be frostbitten?

Transylvanian Plunger?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

sephiroth669 posted:

I haven't seen them mentioned in the thread anywhere, so I'll throw out Trelldom as a really good band. Or at least a band with a really good album: Til Et Annet... is classic BM sound (Darkthrone, Burzum, Taake etc) that's just catchy as poo poo. Also features Gaahl on vocals, I just now saw that. Anyway highly recommended for the old school appeal.

I just found Trelldom in the last few months, I'm a fan. One of the few bands to keep the old sound these days.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I know Darkthrone isn't really BM anymore, but they're darkthrone so gently caress you. Their new album is loving awesome. Definitely their best of the crustpunk sound. Some songs even reach right into the 80's thrash closet. Oath Minus could pass for an old metallica B-side. Norway in September too, it loving rules.

Not Very Metal posted:

Hell yeah, I discovered them a couple of months ago as well. I've only got Till Minne, how is Til Et Annet?

The production is a lot worse than Till Minne, I haven't been able to listen to it enough to know if I like it or not. You can't hear poo poo.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 29, 2008

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

So Gaahl's come out of the closet finally. Personally I say being gay makes him more black metal since few things are as anti-christian as sodomy.

There's an interview up on blabbermouth. He talks about the guy he tied up and thrashed for a day. He says the guy was sent after him after an altercation he had in jail during his first stint, and the stories in the paper were just stories. I guess he didn't want to talk about it and make a stink because that would be weak, handled his business on his own.

het posted:

Yeah, I'm digging it and noticed the thrash aspect too. I also like Hanging Out in Haiger a lot

the song titles rule. HIKING METAL PUNKS!

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 29, 2008

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

PARIAH CAREY posted:

Wanna hear Ghaal's ambient album now.

He has an ambient album??

If you're talking about the instrumental stuff they play during the TNBM documentary, that's not gaahl, that's Gorgoroth's old drummer kvitrfan's new band Wardruna. THAT I want to hear, once it's done.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

He says he's doing ambient music in that interview.

Ah, there's parts I just can't hear what he's saying.

Not Very Metal posted:

Yeah, Gaahl mentions it in that Blabbermouth interview iirc. God, what kind of fan are you? :rolleyes: He he he...

I listened to a couple tracks from Kvitrafn's wardrum disc, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

Oh yeah, did you end up going as Gaahl to work?

efb

I didn't actually. Too much of a pain in the rear end in the morning to corpse up, but I did bring my newly made spiked gauntlets and some blood coming out of my eyes. I'm going to a friend's place tonight all done up, so I figured all day with paint on my face would really piss me off getting it everywhere.

the spikes have sure made a few people forget why they came by though, so it's not a total loss. :black101:

Is Abbath happening?

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 31, 2008

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Halloween is metal as gently caress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Misogynist posted:

Black metal is an ethos and a lifestyle and you shouldn't mock it by playing dress-up for your friends

I took it so seriously two people had to be brought to the hospital with freezer burn and I definitely stabbed my girlfriend in the tits with those nails once or twice. :colbert:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Cure for Optimism posted:

Nice Mjolnir necklace you filthy heathen. ;)

I've had it for years, it was the first chance I've had to wear it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

You live in Iraq? Wow. This may not be the place for it, but what's THAT like?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Death Rotisserie posted:

Purists will poo poo on black metal that has any modicum of non-BM influence like post-rock or shoegaze.

As well they should :colbert:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

cryme posted:

wrong, Amesoeurs rule

Black metal isn't supposed to put you to sleep.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

cryme posted:

Dunno what you're listening to. It's certainly more upbeat then some Burzum.

http://www.myspace.com/amesoeurs

Your second point stands but a fair amount of burzum sucks for the same reasons.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

DB_Cooper posted:

At this point if theres no progression in black metal its done.

If incorporating shoegaze and pop rock into black metal is all that will save it, hand me a box of nails and a hammer to drive the coffin shut. I'd rather see it die completely than go where death metal has.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Misogynist posted:

I don't think anybody other than rabid fans has ever implied that anyone is trying to "save" anything. It's a bunch of dudes writing music for the sake of writing music.

That's fine and dandy but that doesn't remove them from the bounds of criticism

DB_Cooper posted:

So black metal is just a niche music genre for you and you arent interested in keeping it going because of personal taste...

You a singular person want to dictate how the entire genre sounds because its what you'd like to listen to? Tens of thousands of people are contributing to the genre but your opinion is more important.

I've been on multiple sides of the genre from writing zines when i was kid, making crappy music and helping Joe C. with vendlus so maybe my view is different.

Or are you just young and naive?

Right anyone who doesn't agree with you MUST be a teenager :rolleyes:
I'm old and idealistic.

Black metal's entire purpose was to make music that wasn't accessible, but was raw, violent, as a push back against the watering down death metal took after it caught on. Basically what I see happening is that black metal is being led to slaughter of mediocrity and accessibility like death was.

I personally think what's happening to BM, in this regard, is giving birth to black metal's metalcore and/or rap metal equivalent.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 12, 2008

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

Aren't you the guy who always complains about elitists in the other threads?

Usually just your elitism ;)
But point taken. Maybe the worm has turned for me and I've become what I used to hate.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Nasty Kerm posted:

Really? There seem to be many bands who disagrees with you. what makes you an authority? If BM bands evolve in a certain direction you don't like, then thats your problem. Being upset because everything doesn't sound like 1994 anymore is a bit stupid to say the least.

Many bands seem to think death/metalcore is a-ok too but that doesn't make them right.

If you don't like my opinion don't look at it.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 13, 2008

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Mordekai posted:

"true norwegian black metal" has been dead since 2000

I think Gorgoroth is one of the few classic bands still keeping it going. Darkthrone rules still but they're not doing the same poo poo anymore. Everyone else has either shifted styles, broken up, or lost their edge and paint by number now.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Noktorn posted:

No one's like that, it's only butthurt fans of major bands who use that as a defense mechanism.

A lot like people who call those who don't like their taste in music elitists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

If Enslaved plays old poo poo on tour along with new stuff that would totally be worth catching. Eld was great, and I'd do a lot of things to see Havenless played live.