Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

MrBling posted:

You're all wrong because the new Countess album is the best album of the year.
I was pretty surprised, I liked Spawn of Steel but Holocaust of the God Believers didn't do much for me and I kind of figured this would be more of the same. But Blazing Flames of War is pretty great and changes the sound up a bit (though there's still no question that you're listening to Countess). Countess and Darkthrone are going to be up there for me this year.

I also like Darkestrah's Epos though I think I preferred Embrace of Memory's more digestible track lengths to Epos's monolithic 33 minute track with lengthy ambient intro and outro.

Hydrac7 posted:

Yeah, I'm digging this too even though I don't think most people in here would approve.
I don't think Wolves in the Throne Room are bad, they just didn't seem all that great to me, so it's kind of weird to see them getting all this press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Xynobia posted:

So I want to get into Darkthrone but don't know where to begin, and I'm told that their early/mid/late periods are all very different (aren't they like a crust punk band now?). Is the only route in A Blaze In the Northern Sky, or is there another door to take? I'm not huge into BM in general, so anything that's super lo-fi or cheesy is probably a bad route. Punk or death inspired is good. Help?
The Goat Problem is right that if you're looking for punk-inspired, you should probably check The Cult Is Alive. Their newest, F.O.A.D., is also good though it's more old school metal-inspired than punk (granted a lot of those inspirations are thrash). For what it's worth, I like Transilvanian Hunger a whole lot more than A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Has anyone here heard of Kromlek? I stumbled upon them a few days ago, and I'm surprised they haven't gotten much attention anywhere. They're basically a German black metal/folk band, and I can't get enough of them.
Yeah, they're really great. You should check out their first EP Kveldridhur, the track Kromlek off of that is arguably their best song, but I thought their 2007 LP Strange Rumours... Distant Tremors was very good too, and branched out a little bit (the production makes it a lot more epic). They're really the best band in terms of taking the Finntroll humppa metal formula and doing something interesting with it without losing too much of the rollicking fun of it. Korpiklaani's good but I like how Kromlek use more elaborate composition.

Morbid Florist posted:

I am extremely happy I have no idea what the gently caress kind of music this could include, because it sounds like it would be the gayest poo poo in history. "so awesome your feet will seem interesting"
Jesus Christ, we get it, you're a closed minded rear end in a top hat. Nobody loving cares.

Gr31lly posted:

Lifelover, Amesoeurs, Joyless and I guess maybe LIK and Zaratustra is the sort of thing you're looking for. It's entirely possible you may like bethlehem as well.
I'll have to check Joyless. I like Lifelover and Amesoeurs a lot (though I imagine when there's new Amesoeurs material released they'll bear even less resemblance to black metal than Alcest or Lifelover).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Morbid Florist posted:

Jesus Christ, we get it, you have to comment on every post you don't like, grow the gently caress up and put me on ignore if you don't like it.
In general, I don't really see much benefit to, when someone's talking about a band or style you've never heard of, going "ugh, sounds gay" or something like that. If the thread were overrun with people going on about Alcest, I could certainly see speaking up and adding a counterpoint, but in general, whether you like a band or consider them valid really doesn't add much unless you want to actually have a deeper discussion than "they suck" "no they don't".

This is how you make a forum better. The way you make it worse is by ignoring lovely posts and not separating the wheat from the chaff.

quote:

Ah god bless the internet, where everyone's opinion is wrong but your own :rolleyes:
Why don't both of you ignore list me too, we have nothing to talk about.
Nova Bizarre was agreeing with you.

IntoTheNihil posted:

Have you heard ABiTNS?
eh I can definitely see why someone whose tastes ran more towards death metal than black metal would prefer Soulside Journey over all their others.

Gr31lly posted:

To be honest, since black metal these days seems to be full mostly of trend-following money grabbers there should be plenty depressive rock/shoegaze/black metal albums out in the future anyway.
What I'm really hoping for is that there'll be some bands that will cop Amesoeurs' "urban black metal" sound (as Neige put it) from the first two tracks of Ruines Humaines since their future stuff is going to be more along the lines of Faiblesse des Sens (not that I don't love that track and eagerly anticipate the next Amesoeurs release).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

modernlifeisadam posted:

It really kind of makes me mad that everyone who's mentioned Wolves In the Throne Room's newest album has made some sort of disclaimer that people here don't/won't like it, haha. I think it's a really loving solid album, regardless of what hipsters namedrop them and DSO/Alcest these days, IMO it's still fuckin' great.
I really don't think it's that solid, and the (less metal) parts that appeal to non-metal-fans are the ones that I find to be weak, so it makes discussing it kind of annoying. You get lots of people with little to no perspective on black metal talking about how amazing something is that I don't think is much above average.

quote:

And yeah, Amouseurs is loving amazing, have they put anything out besides that little EP, yet?
They apparently have a split with Valfunde out as of the last week of November but I dunno about finding it. This is all that was up on their myspace:

http://myspace.com/amesoeurs posted:

The Amesoeurs/Valfunde split EP is out

The Amesoeurs/Valfunde split vinyl is available from now through De Profundis.

http://rosenkrantz-studio.com/

That url is strikingly unhelpful, btw, I haven't tried mailing that address yet.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

brightfield posted:

Can someone actually name a single "hipster" listening to WITTR?
Hydrac7

Necro Beer posted:

Also I'm listening to Alcest for the first time right now and I would really like an explanation as to why they are being discussed in this thread. It sounds like post-rock/indie and I really have to grasp straws to figure out where the black metal influence is.
It's not metal but a lot of the sound is informed by black metal, between the fuzzy production and occasional double-bass and somewhat aggressive drumming (though ironically I think the drumming is more metal but less aggressive and driving than some normal shoegaze). It's a side-project of a black metal artist and it's pretty common for side-projects to be discussed in threads even when the side-project doesn't fit the genre exactly.

Euphoria 5L posted:

He's got the black metal cred, and he comes from a black metal background, so I'd say it's black metal, albeit black metal that sounds like shoegaze.
This kind of confuses me. It doesn't sound like black metal, why would you ever call it black metal? Even Neige himself says it's not black metal.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Dehtraen posted:

I couldn't either, but he did it repeated at the California show... Reference 1:45 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMzoBkaFxh4 He basically did that across the stage. It was pretty terrible.
Um that sounds pretty awesome to me

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

IntoTheNihil posted:

Souvenirs is okay. It's very, very far from his best though.

I have to suggest Tristesse Hivernale. I'd consider it his best work.
It's sort of his best work if you don't like his aesthetic though. It's like saying Soulside Journey is Darkthrone's best album. Sure, I can see someone liking that over their others, but it's basically saying "I don't like Darkthrone very much".

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Das Funnee posted:

It probably doesn't need to be said, but I think the new Amesoeurs track is great. It's definitely in the same vein as "Faiblesse des Sens", including vocals by Audrey Sylvain. I'm really looking forward to the full album.
I think it's decent but not really in the same ballpark with Faiblesse des Sens in terms of quality. It'll make a fine middle track on a full length but I'm hoping for something more catchy and more emotive.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Street Butler posted:

I think it's more that you're trying way too hard to be edgy.
I thought it was funny but I knew he was joking

quote:

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Yeah, for all the crazy events surrounding Mayhem around that time, it really is a pretty decent album.

BTW so I dunno if anyone else has played with it but Rock Band's facepaint options in character customization are actually pretty impressive, I made an Abbath clone last night that looks pretty accurate. I also liked that they had a clothing option called the Troll Vest, I'm not 100% sure if that's a deliberate reference to TrollfesT or not, as they're relatively obscure as far as I know.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Street Butler posted:

Abbath is the only black metal musician who can get away with those little smiles on stage. :xd:

edit: have you guys seen the 10 most ridiculous black metal videos ever yet?
quoting before watching and assuming Call of the Wintermoon is #1

edit: drat, #2

het fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 27, 2007

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I'm confused, wouldn't uploading a compilation and linking to it here be pretty blatantly against the rules?

AreYouIn posted:

1) First off there will be NO sharing of copyright music in this forum. SA is not for that and you will be banned for it. This means no linking to music, no requesting music, and no redirecting people to places where they can get music. If it is copyright don't post it. Changing file names or sharing low-quality files is not allowed. If you want to talk about these things do it by a private means and don't involve the forums. THIS INCLUDES LIVE RECORDINGS.

I mean I appreciate the effort and everything, but I think you'd get banned without hesitation if you actually posted this.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Impakta posted:

Yeah, their new record was great. I feel too many black metal bands limit themselves because they're too elitest about what black metal "should" be anyways.
I don't think they were exploring anything new really other than making the atmospheric parts of Burzum boring (which plenty of people have done). The actively rocking parts were pretty good but not good enough to outweigh the bad.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Bow posted:

Listening to something to be cool is loving gay as hell and I hope goons here at least have some semblance to not do that.

Why listen to something if you don't even like it? Why does someone's else opinion of you matter so much? I honestly don't get it.
Nobody does this. Nobody is admitting to doing this. Stop making poo poo up so you can respond with "Man, I just don't get people like that".

qpzil posted:

But saying you listen to Merzbow makes you sound soooo much cooler than saying you listen to Bathory or something. :rolleyes:
What the gently caress are you talking about? Who's saying this? (and so help me if you say "hipsters" I'm going to wash your mouth out with soap)

WitTR alternate between boring ambient poo poo and some decent black metal but they've gotten a shitload of press, even in mainstream outlets. Unfortunately, that press is only half-related to their music, the rest is the image, the hippie philosophy bullshit, etc.. So, yeah, it's sort of annoying to see a mediocre band get lots of publicity for stuff unrelated to their music, when much better bands in the same genre languish in relative obscurity.

This publicity blitz also results in the situation where there are people who don't typically listen to metal who will go on and on about the band while being largely ignorant of what other black metal is out there (and show little interest in learning more), which is pretty obnoxious.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Dyna Soar posted:

I dunno, I quite like the "boring ambient poo poo" and the general direction they're taking their music, and I think the bm parts are on par with the classics.

You say that they're mediocre like it's an universal truth, but on the contrary lots and lots of people who know their black metal agree with me that WITTR are an ace band and pay no attention to the press they get or where they live.
I'm aware that there are people who listen to black metal otherwise and also like WitTR, I'm just trying to explain why there is hostility towards the effusive praise of them.

qpzil posted:

Well, I'll skirt around the word then. I know a number of people that would, for instance, buy band t-shirts of bands they don't even really listen to, own CDs that they've never listened to, etc., just because of the name. The person I quoted was mentioning two genres of music that were "unlistenable" - those same types of kids I just mentioned would say they listen to these "unlistenable" bands/artists to seem, I don't know, like they have some sort of deep appreciation for this incredibly niche genre. It's the same reason they buy band t-shirts or CDs of bands they hardly even like, it puts them on some higher level with their peers. The same reason people say "yeah, well, I listened to them before they got big" - it's all street credit.
And I'm saying that the stereotype of only liking bands because it's cool, wearing shirts of bands they don't listen to, and caring solely about "scene cred" is largely a bullshit fairy tale. These people don't actually exist in the way that you described them.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Dyna Soar posted:

I'd say they annoy some black metal enthusiasts because they have a limited taste and are too narrow minded to appreciate anything that doesn't sound like it was made in a norwegian basement in the early 90s.
That's not true but feel free to hypothesize on people's SECRET SHAMEFUL MOTIVES for their taste in music.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Death Rotisserie posted:

Darkspace - Dark Space III is out and it's the best BM album I've heard thus far this year. Ambient as hell but there are some loving killer riffs in here; totally unexpected.
Yeah I like what I've heard so far, it's nothing new but Darkspace is good at their style.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Unacknowledged posted:

I noticed that Wolves in the Throne Room is generally disliked among some of you, I'd like to know why. I thought Two Hunters was one of the best albums I've ever bought, and I wish I could find more that are as good.
The ambient stuff is boring to me, and their metal sections, while decent, aren't exceptional, yet we get bunches of people gushing over them and being really shocked that others might not be as amazed by the band.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Gvaz posted:

Tell me if any of that helped :shobon:
Honestly, lists of 20 bands with no descriptions are of really limited usefulness. If you're going to post huge lists like that, try to put in a few words for each band; mention what they sound like, relate them to another band the person might have heard of, something to separate them from the 19 other bands you listed. In general I don't think anyone has any problems finding a list of 20 black metal bands they don't know anything about, the idea of recommendations is to give people a place to start.

Gvaz posted:

Wolves in the Throne Room (gently caress what goons say, this band is good)
SA is actually pretty evenly divided on the band. A lot of people really love it, a lot of people don't think it's anything special. It would be far more useful to do what I said above, compare them to other bands, describe their sound, something other than "Some hate them but I like them!! :colbert:", because that really tells the reader absolutely nothing unless they already have a good idea of your taste.

aliencowboy posted:

Also, any other more melodic Black Metal along the lines of Sworn would be fuckin' sweet.
Yeah, I'd be curious too, they have an interesting formula, it's almost like power metal composition filtered through a black metal aesthetic.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Misogynist posted:

Yeah, I'm hesitant to call them black metal too. It's melodeath in a diminished scale. I think even Naglfar and Anorexia Nervosa are blacker than these guys.
production-wise they're closer to black metal than death metal though. I mean you can complain about that being a really superficial definition and I wouldn't exactly disagree but at the same time if someone called them melodic black metal I wouldn't think that's unreasonable. It doesn't really matter much though.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Gr31lly posted:

I've still not bothered listening to the new Darkestrah.
It's not bad, but not particularly compelling.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

IntoTheNihil posted:

It sucks so bad that he's not being let out. Oh well, hosed up laws.
I'm not clear on what's hosed up about the laws here. He committed crimes, was convicted, and then when let out on temporary leave he tried to escape and was found in possession of fraudulent papers and a fully automatic rifle.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

IntoTheNihil posted:

The whole situation is just a total mess. There's not much else to it.
He burned churches to the ground and killed a man. He was convicted for those crimes, sentenced to prison time, had that prison time reduced, and still he tried to escape; I don't see how there's any argument over the justification of his parole being turned down. This is pretty straight-forward.

Caerus posted:

The police found the weapon in a cabin that Vikernes could have spent the night in, but this was never proven and he wasn't convicted for it.
Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Caerus posted:

Well, the argument has been that he is being treated harsher than other convicts in a similar position. Even when taking into account the escape attempt he would normally have been released by now. I personally think he should spend a lot more time in prison, but the reasoning behind this should be that he was convicted for a brutal murder and arson. It should not be that he is some nazi satanist boogeyman, which certain people in the Department of Criminal Justice seem to think.
To be honest it's hard for me to judge as an American because in the US these crimes would be punished far more harshly (even if we ignored the fact that he was burning churches, multiple arson counts + homicide would be significant) so I can't help but think that he's getting off awfully easy just with the sentencing he received.

het fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 2, 2008

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Qu Appelle posted:

I prefer protestant black metal :colbert:. The more Wisconsin Synod Lutheran, the better.
My fave is Papist Inferno - Heretical Marian Idolatry

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

krustster posted:

I think most black metal fans would enjoy the black metal stylings of "sewage disposal" based band Stiny Plamenu.

http://www.myspace.com/diveintothewastewater

Their lyrics are based on some sort of sewer mythology that the band apparently made up, and they're mostly in some gay foreign language (lolol) so you can't understand them anyway, but they feature characters like The Sewage Disposal Lord, Lady of the Waterworks, Son of the Manhole Lids, and The Cesspool Master. The actual music is pretty good, very fast blastbeat stuff with good melodies and whatnot. I highly recommend it.
Zelezo Krvaci was great as was their earlier work but their most recent album was an enormous letdown. It didn't grab me as much as earlier stuff and worse they started adding stupid poo poo like completely out-of-place female vocals. ISTR pseudo-clean male vocals too but I'm not certain.

edit: also it's sort of annoying that people latch onto the whole "sewer metal" gimmick because their earlier stuff is legitimately good and who the gently caress cares about some dumb gimmick like that

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Morbid Florist posted:

I know Darkthrone isn't really BM anymore, but they're darkthrone so gently caress you. Their new album is loving awesome. Definitely their best of the crustpunk sound. Some songs even reach right into the 80's thrash closet. Oath Minus could pass for an old metallica B-side. Norway in September too, it loving rules.
Yeah, I'm digging it and noticed the thrash aspect too. I also like Hanging Out in Haiger a lot

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

pugna posted:

Temnozor and Kroda pictures: http://abortedfoetus.com/kroda_temnozor/
I think that's the first time I've seen a metal bassist playing with sheet music. Also I was hoping to see horns for Pathways of Fate :/

cryme posted:

Ah yes, black pop, the latest craze sweeping the teenage nation
Lifelover :D

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Morbid Florist posted:

Kenny G tried metal?
I dunno, Lifelover isn't very easy-listening (though Alcest certainly is), Lifelover's just sort of weird and hard to classify aside from having an obvious black metal and post-punk influence while not being categorizable as either

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Openknees posted:

All this significant other talk has got me thinking, how do I get my wife into black metal?
It depends a lot on what music she currently likes.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

cryme posted:

I think the whole idea is pretty stupid to be honest but I bet a good way to ease someone into black metal is to start with some shoegazy stuff
Yeah, something like Alcest to introduce them to some of the tropes of the genre in a less hostile way would probably work okay, though I kind of agree that I don't see much point to trying to get someone into black metal if they don't like metal beyond numetal to begin with. It's nice to share interests and all, but not really worth forcing it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I think it's pretty refreshing to not hear a triggered drumset in metal as well.
how does this set wittr apart from anyone? There's lots of drummers who don't use triggers

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Gr31lly posted:

No, the album just never seemed to take off, the pacing is too singular.
That's a weird complaint though because they used some kinda unconventional rhythms on TGSR. I'll admit though that it didn't seem as coherent or immediately appealing as Epos; I still thought it was a good album though.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Guys please stop posting lists of albums.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

lordblytzkrieg posted:

For those of you who enjoy the whole shoe-gaze Alcest sound Neige has another project with a new cd coming out this year called Lantlôs.

Here's a track from the album...it starts out slow, but has a pretty cool blast beat part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IIzu_oa47E
Interesting, is Neige doing any song-writing for this or just providing vocals?

Lantlôs's self-titled was decent for that style so I'm curious how this will differ.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Not Very Metal posted:

Is there a place to buy, or even listen to this? I've searched my normal channels and found nothing. With all the talk, I'm anxious to hear it.
http://www.thebasar.org/order.html

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Bubble Bathory posted:

Just checked out Kroda on the recommendation of someone on the previous page; I am a fan of Drudkh et al like the person who made the request.
WHOA! Really good poo poo.
They have a track called Cry To Me River. I picture an eastern european man botching the phrase "cry me a river" a la Borat.
Their first two albums are terrific and the split's okay but I was really let down by Fimbulvinter. It just didn't have the character that Towards the Firmaments Verge of Life had, it just ran together too much. The Branikald cover was the best song on the album as I recall.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

RHTITE posted:

I don't get it. When I listen to the later Enslaved albums (from ELD on) I hear a band that stumbled in finding their inspiration and skill again after two amazing albums in Vikingligr Veldi and Frost, made a freaking savage Speed Metal album (Blodhemn) and then realized that they needed to go in a new direction the same way Immortal did, releasing Mardraum. They certainly haven't been great since then, but they haven't been entirely terrible either, and I haven't heard anything that would make me question the purity of their intent, as I understand it. Drudkh, on the other hand, after 2 decent but redundant albums in Autumn Aurora and Swan Road, showed that their well ran dry of Burzum and Graveland influences, so they scrambled through half thought out folk and icky Black Metal before finally publically whoring themselves out to prevailing trend of the day for lack of solid ideas with this new album.
I never thought much of Drudkh's previous stuff but I definitely get a bit of a subdued late-era Enslaved (like circa Ruun) vibe on this new album, like that crossed with Neige's stuff.

I'm actually enjoying the new Drudkh but mostly because it's not like their previous stuff, which did nothing for me and seemed really unremarkable. This new album isn't mind-blowing and runs together a bit but it's not too bad overall.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

RHTITE posted:

I guess my point is that Indie Black Metal is basically half baked music where all the technique is there, but it's completely soulless, like the Drudkh album, so why listen to/recommend it?
Well I don't really accept the premise that it's soulless, but beyond that, if I enjoy it, why not listen to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hellwuzzat posted:

I just love their mouth harp, too :colbert:. The carnyx is one I'm waiting to hear in some folky battle funtime metal, though. I'd take that over the boing harp.
Reminds me of the horns at the beginning of Kroda's Pathways of Fate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgiIN3YyKns