Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
You're all wrong because the new Countess album is the best album of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Pocolog posted:

Did you get one of the 666 hand-numbered copies?

Yes. Which is not so odd since that those are the only versions that exist so far.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I went to Sworn's myspace page to check them out and it sounds like some guys in a melodic death metal band thought it would be really cool to make black metal.

I don't get it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Auritech posted:

Also, I may be the only person on Earth who thinks Plaguewielder was actually a pretty drat good album.

Plaguewielder is a good album, I think it just gets unfairly maligned due to the proximity of Ravishing Grimness.

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Can anyone recommend some piss raw black metal like Ildjarn, Bone Awl, or Clandestine Blaze? No symphonic, operatic, or clean sounding stuff, please.

Beherit ("The Oath of Black Blood" and "Drawing Down the Moon")
Havohej and Profanatica

MrBling fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 18, 2007

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

IntoTheNihil posted:

If I didn't live in an oven I'd buy one of those hoodies.

Well you know, the harsh life of being a jew.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

You're just a dick from start to finish aren't you. Here I thought you were just an rear end in a top hat about music.

IntoTheNihil knows that I'm joking with him, because we're cool like that.

Well, it's either that or you guys are a couple of weeping vaginas.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Avant Gardening posted:

recomend me some good japanese bm besides gnome and gorugoth

Sabbat, Barbatos and Abigail are really all you need when it comes to Japan.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Why would someone need to stand up for non-scandinavian black metal? Pretty much all the good stuff is from places that aren't Scandinavia.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
You can easily skip Ravishing Grimness. I'd suggest you get Soulside Journey but that's really a death metal album. It is still completely and totally awesome.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The title track of Pure Holocaust has the Imperial March as the chorus riff.

Once you hear you can't ever un-hear it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Unacknowledged posted:

I noticed that Wolves in the Throne Room is generally disliked among some of you, I'd like to know why. I thought Two Hunters was one of the best albums I've ever bought, and I wish I could find more that are as good.

I think it's because they're poo poo.

Saying that it's one of the best albums you've ever bought really doesn't mean anything without some sort of context, for all we know you own 5 albums and the other four are even worse than this one.

There is plenty of black metal out there better than Wolves in the Throne Room though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Would it help you guys if I told you that the Pyha kid is actually from South Korea?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

het posted:

Yeah, I'd be curious too, they have an interesting formula, it's almost like power metal composition filtered through a black metal aesthetic.

It's called melodic death metal.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Misogynist posted:

In the context of black metal what the gently caress does this even mean

Southern Lord.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess some people use the term "hipster black metal" to describe certain bands that are popular mainly because of immense hype (Weakling, Xasthur, Wolves in the Throne Room that sort) rather than any sort of quality output and it's fairly easy to get tired of all these people who just eat up whatever Southern Lord and Hydra Head pushes who goes on about how they're the best black metal bands ever.

Or maybe people just like the word "hipster", I don't know.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I wish there were shops like that around here. I'd go mess with them all the time.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

Right anyone who doesn't agree with you MUST be a teenager :rolleyes:
I'm old and idealistic.

Black metal's entire purpose was to make music that wasn't accessible, but was raw, violent, as a push back against the watering down death metal took after it caught on. Basically what I see happening is that black metal is being led to slaughter of mediocrity and accessibility like death was.

I personally think what's happening to BM, in this regard, is giving birth to black metal's metalcore and/or rap metal equivalent.

Aren't you the guy who always complains about elitists in the other threads?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Gr31lly posted:

Whether you like it or not is generally a good start :toot:

Don't be silly.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It's only about £500 for a return ticket from london. :toot:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
All of you should probably also listen to Tormentor's Anno Domini.

Just because it is pretty good.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dyna Soar posted:

The new Wolves In The Throne Room is lovely poo poo. It validates everything all the haters have been saying in this thread.

More like Wolfshirts in the Dorm Room, amirite.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It has some pretty annoying drum production though, and on the same theme drums that seem to overpower everything in the mix.

Then again, the band leader is the drummer so it is to be expected.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The best thing about Pure Holocaust is that they stuck the Imperial March melody right into the chorus of the title track.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've been rediscovering Megiddo lately. One of the very best black metal bands to come out of North America.

Youtube has a couple of tracks if you're not familiar with them.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm sure that Norway is fairly similar to Denmark in that a life sentence usually doesn't mean more than 14 years. The only way to really get locked away forever is if you're deemed to be criminally insane, then they can lock you up for good.

The longest time served in modern time in Denmark was 33 years and he was only kept in so long because he shot four cops during a robbery.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

They should have offered him a job instead since he's a better shot than at least 4 of their own

Back then cops didn't carry guns as part of their standard outfit, just clubs. That changed after that incident.

Ours was a peace loving community.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

dgt posted:

What is so bad about WITTR outside of the fact that hipsters like them???

They're just not very good.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you like the sort of melodic black metal you should really listen to Barathrum's "Legions of Perkele". I will concede that "Eerie" is the best Barathrum album, but it is pretty different from Legions.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

Eerie is all they have up on their myspace page. Does the production get better at all? I can only hear the drums and an occasional guitar/bass line besides the singer. It's like the guitarist was in the next room or something

While I don't the production is particularly bad on Eerie, it is different on Legions of Perkele. You can hear one of the songs from the album here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVlU8pw8hwc

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

catbread.jpg posted:

Yay, my Deathspell Omega shirt arrived!

nerd

how is their newer stuff anyway? I don't think I've heard anything past the 2004 album.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The black metal scene is basically a pro-wrestling crowd. You boo the gays and the foreigners and cheer for the people that look most like yourself.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Maybe I will dispute. If we're limited to ten I'd say these are the essential black metal albums in no particular order:

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Venom - Black Metal
Sodom - In the Sign of Evil
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
Sarcofago - I.N.R.I
Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids
Bathory - The Return...
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Necromantia/Varathron - Black Arts/The Everlasting Sin

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Caucasus Belli posted:

The fact that it appears to be causing the internet's kvlter-than-thov brigade to collectively poo poo itself with indignation also endears it to me somewhat.

I haven't heard the album in question, since I don't like anything put out by 1349 but why would the reactions and opinions of other people ever be a factor in wether or not you like an album?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There's a new Countess album coming this year and I'm going to assume that it will be the best black metal album released in the year.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There's no real need to bother with Dark Funeral. You'd probably be better off listening to bands like Craft and Pest (the german one, the 'Vado Mori' album in particular) who aren't really anything special either but they manage to pretty much perfectly execute their chosen style of black metal.

Also, listen to Sargatanas if you like that stuff that is basically death metal mixed with black metal. 'Knights of the Southern Cross' is a great album.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bubble Bathory posted:

Where should I start with Countess?

It kinda depends what sort of black metal you like.

The official Countess site ( http://www.barbarianwrath.org/Countess/ ) has two songs up from each album so that is probably the easiest way to find out what you'd like. The earlier albums are more traditional black metal and from Spawn of Steel and onwards Orlok is more or less mixing old school heavy metal with black metal.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

saigon_15 posted:

It's pretty far from most of their other stuff, but The Shining Swords of Hate is one of my absolute favourite BM albums ever. Bleak, distant, atmospheric, droning goodness all around.

It is a great album, Orlok has some amusing things to say about it as well.

quote:

In September and October '98 we had recorded the Revenge albums, but we didn't do much after that. We rehearsed a couple of times in early '99, but we didn't really have anything to work towards, not to mention the fact that we were all busy with other things as well, so for the remainder of the year COUNTESS didn't do anything, with the exception of the album From The Wells Of Chaos that I recorded on my own in the summer, but quickly discarded as not good enough to be put out.

In October '99, I came up with the idea to record another new album, even though both Revenge albums had not been released yet. I wanted to record something really filthy and sick, something even worse then The Gospel, something that would be only about atmosphere and nothing else. Something in the vein of the Permafrost demo, which had been the reason I'd joined COUNTESS in the first place back in '92.

I didn't really write the songs for this album; I just programmed some rhythm parts (as sloppy as possible) and started playing, improvising as I went along. Recording again in my own Black Lust Studio, I laid down the bass tracks using my Ibanez SB 900 LK, plugged straight into the mixing desk through my Boss ODB-3, and then did the guitar parts on my Ibanez RX 350 BK, also plugged straight into the mixing desk through my Boss HM-3 and Zoom 1202. I did the rhythm guitar parts three times to get a really thick sound. While I was playing the first rhythm guitar on Total War, I broke a string. Instead of playing that part over, I just left the breaking of the string on the album. That's the kind of album this was supposed to be.

When time came to do the vocals, I decided to experiment a little. I feared my usual screams would not suit this kind of music very well, so I used different techniques. I think this worked quite well, even though I realize some people don't like the vocals on this album.

Even though it took me just two weeks to write and record this album (it was recorded between October 16th and 29th), I still think it's a really good album. Like The Gospel, this album is a statement: Black Metal should be filthy and sick and unclean and have no commercial appeal whatsoever. I'm confident the point came across. Together with The Gospel and DAWNFALL‘s Dominance Of Darkness, this album has to be one of the top three contenders for ‘worst album ever.'

It is just typical Orlok. After recording two full lengths and before releasing them he recorded and discarded another full length album only to then go and write and record Shining Swords in two weeks.

Also, I wonder how you program a drum machine to be sloppy.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If he manages to get out this year the new Countess album will obviously be the best.

If not, it will be the best album of 2010.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Nokturnal Mortum is pretty funny in that you can trace their shifting ideologies through the various band logos they've used over time.

It starts a pretty generic logo, then the standard inverted cross then more inverted crosses and suddenly BAM!, swastikas alongside the inverted crosses and then the random pagan/celtic style dragon things to show that they're now just proud of their cultural heritage rather than nazis.

The most hilarious thing was the re-issue of Lunar Poetry which had a swastika made of AK-47s in the booklet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Can I just recommend an oft overlooked US black metal band called Gravewürm. Not to be confused with the italians called Graveworm and who aren't very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7pnChV4ShU

They play in that oldschool Hellhammer/Sodom style and it doesn't really matter which of their first four albums you listen to since they're all pretty much the same style. Fuzzy production, no frills, just nice and old school.

In a similar vein, another incredibly overlooked band is Heretic from the Netherlands. They play a very nice slowpaced Hellhammer inspired black&roll style and believe very much in the fuzzy production and bass overdose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3K0NjK-UM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYjl3XMkh78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoBwr2wQWvI

They seem to have changed up quite a bit for their 2009 album "Gods Over Humans, Slaves Under Satan" however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHVTxwaqdEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86bEClmIvng