Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP
Jan 29, 2004
Moves like a Movie Star
I live in Williamsburg Brooklyn, hipster center of the universe and I cant say I have ever really met or seen anyone into Xasthur or WITTR or any of the so called hipster metal bands. Then again I doubt any of them actually listen to them and just like to throw out the names every so often to show how much they are into "underground" music and ahead of the curve.

I think the internet always makes things look bigger than they really are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP
Jan 29, 2004
Moves like a Movie Star
I personally blame Vice magazine for the entire Hipster black metal thing since its basically a free monthly hipster bible and they have had a hard on for black metal for the last few years. The new issue actually has a couple pages dedicated to black metal since they just released Peter Beste's True Norwegian Black Metal photography book. Though I must add I live in Willamsburg, hipster center of the universe and I still have yet to actually meet anyone who listens to any of the so called hipster metal bands...

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP
Jan 29, 2004
Moves like a Movie Star
I really loved the new Dark Fortress and Azaghal albums someone recommended earlier. Any other new releases worth checking out? Also any bands you can recommend that do deeper black metal vocals like the Dark Fortress album. Its refreshing to hear something other than a screech.

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP
Jan 29, 2004
Moves like a Movie Star

Gr31lly posted:

Try Varathron's His Majesty at the Swamp. There is no screeching at all employed, but an almost gutteral, lazy growl. The pacing of the album is vastly different to something like DF though. Screeches aren't as dominant a feature of black metal as you'd think really. Obviously there's some famous and infamous exceptions, but in general that's a misconception propogated by mainstream coverage.
Its not so much me thinking all black metal is screeching because thats what I read somewhere and all I know.. so much as I prefer high screechy vocals generally and its rare for me to hear deeper vocals I like so much like the Dark Fortress' kinda of talky low growl. I'll definitely check out your recommendation though, thanks!

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP
Jan 29, 2004
Moves like a Movie Star

Chromaplasm posted:

What are some criteria that one might use to judge whether a black metal album is good or bad?

Is it old or not obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP
Jan 29, 2004
Moves like a Movie Star

Cold Day posted:

Amesoeurs have BM elements. Besides, can't you people enjoy music that isn't black metal? expand your tastes :)

I reckon its a pretty average album anyway, not very memorable songs but decent as a whole.

I feel the same way which is really disappointing since I love the first EP and pretty much everything else Neige has done. Eh maybe it will grow on me.

Can anyone recommend any other bands that mix black metal with other genres like Neige's stuff and Lifelover?