Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumdots
Apr 26, 2004

Some things I have been digging recently
Secrets of the Moon - Antithesis. Sounds sort of like if Opeth did black metal. Proggy and cool. I got one of their earlier albums and it sounded nothing like this.
Golden Dawn - Masquerade. Stumbled upon this in the used bin. Black metal vocals but so much more. I know a lot of folks here aren't too down with keyboards, but this band is pretty much one dude and he wails on both guitar and keys. Lots of guest vocalists, so lots of styles.

I just realized that both these bands are German. Not sure what significance that has.

Edit: If I could get that drat Sworn album here, I'm sure I would love it. At least I plan on seeing them in March at Ragnarok festival

quantumdots fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 17, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumdots
Apr 26, 2004

More Gore posted:

Reading this thread has introduced me to Wolves in the Throne Room. They're alright. But I've lived in Olympia almost my entire life, and I never even heard of them... And this commune a number of the members of the band live at, I think I've driven past it.. But then again, I'm not sure. ha

If anyone knows of some good local (washington/oregon/british columbia) BM bands, let me know. I'm always excited to listen to local metal :black101:

Ceremonial Castings are from Battle Ground, WA, and if you like Emperor-ish BM with lots of keys, they are pretty good. And of course Agalloch is from Portland and they pretty much rule as well.

quantumdots
Apr 26, 2004

Gr31lly posted:

A far better comparison would be Eldrig's other band, Fanisk, who's brand of unique symphonic progressive black metal is firmly entrenched in a league of its own.

I like Eldrig's music too. Shame the guy is a Nazi. If you go to his/their myspace page, he has some pretty unpleasant views. My friend at a local record store described him coming into the store in his little SS outfit. I hate it when jerks make good music.

quantumdots
Apr 26, 2004

Person from the States who went to Inferno (2006) checking in (yay, Emperor!!).

drat, was the beer expensive. It seems unreal spending what looks like Monopoly money for a pint and then realizing, hey, that was $10! The hotel was pretty spendy too, I think about $150/night for a double. At least it was the same hotel as all the bands used as well, so I bumped into a lot of interesting people.

For the Oslo goon, there was a club we went to with a real generic name, like Rock Club, I think. Is that still around? It was like finding heaven on earth for me: pool tables, cheap beer (only $5 a pint) and black metal blasting on the PA. We saw Vreid play there and went to a Gorgoroth record release party there as well (King and Gaahl were there, Infernus was in jail at the time).