Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Zedlic posted:

Is anyone else embarrassed for liking black metal? I constantly have to "soften" my taste of music for people that don't have the slightest interest in metal of any kind.

I have two playlists on my iPod; one is solely for when I have other people in my car. I wear headphones if I play music at work.

quote:

If you like NSBM, but hate the nazi's (like me), then give Nokturnal Mortum a try if you haven't already. You won't be able to understand what they're saying unless you speak Ukrainian anyways.

I'll second this recommendation. I'm not a racist and I'm not big on NSBM, but I do listen to Nokturnal Mortum. Lunar Poetry is an amazing release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razor
May 9, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

The only people who care what others think of their music haven't even reached college yet.

To be honest, I don't really give a poo poo what people think. If I'm around people at work or in my car, I play metal that all of us will enjoy. And I'm 23.

Razor
May 9, 2004

brightfield posted:

Nihil, the only change I would make to your mix is to add at least one track from Summoning, especially given that you have a few other LOTR-inspired bands/tracks on there. Summoning is the creator/master of that realm IMHO.

Yeah, Summoning would be a good addition. Drudkh would fit well too.

Street Butler posted:

Personally I would add Vreid's "Raped By Light" but I might be biased.

I'd actually prefer to see something by Windir. Vreid is an alright band, but for a black metal sampler pack, Windir is almost essential.

Razor
May 9, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

Pretty much every large record store I've been to had a few Bathory albums behind a "Bathory" tab.

I was in a mall in Michigan with my sister a while back, and she wanted to stop in FYE. Their metal collection was fairly extensive for what I'd expected when I first walked in. It's been a while, but I distinctly recall seeing Arcturus, Bathory, Dissection, Emperor, and Immortal all behind dedicated tabs.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Mordekai posted:

I really can't get exited over a new Satyricon album. The last ones plus My throne is cold (sp?) was really uninteresting. But you never know...

K.I.N.G was an alright song. I'm not too excited about their upcoming album, but I'll check it out in case there's a surprise or two there. I learned not to write off a band entirely after Amorphis released their last two albums.

Razor
May 9, 2004

deltawing posted:

Where you stationed in Iraq?

I was in Fallujah.

I was in Kirkuk.

Qu Appelle posted:

Hrm.

Well, it appears that Peter Beste's photo book, True Norwegian Black Metal, is now out of print at Amazon.

Well, poo poo: I didn't even realize it'd gone on sale. gently caress this rock I've apparently been living under.

Oh, and Den Saakaldte has some pretty decent poo poo up on their MySpace: it's one of Kvarforth's multiple bands.

Razor
May 9, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

OK I know I am a million years late on this, but Monument by Cor Scorpii has leapfrogged its way up to the top of my favourites list. Pure brilliance.

Agreed. With Monument, Cor Scorpii has become my favorite of the post-Windir Sogn bands.

Qu Appelle posted:

Vintersorg seems to go through two phases with his albums - the Toughest Viking in All of Skellefteå :black101: , and Carl Sagan Fanatic :hydrogen:

Yeah, that about sums up Vintersorg; nice way of putting it.

Morbid Florist posted:

I'd also say Windir-1184 and Likferd are classics but I'm a huge fanboy so my opinion is biased.

There isn't a single Windir album that isn't on my playlist; Valfar was such a brilliant composer.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

Lately, he's been combining the two, which I'm sure is going to open a black hole somewhere.

Yup, he has. And his most recent album was pretty solid.

Qu Appelle posted:

I need to check out Windir, I need new music :geno:

I'd recommend Soknardalar or Arntor to start with. If you like what you hear, branch out to the other full-length Windir albums. And if you just can't get enough Windir, you're in luck, because there are several bands that sound a lot like Windir. Cor Scorpii and Mistur are the two most similar.

quote:

Noktunral Mortum

Lunar Poetry is brilliant; it's too bad they had to go all NSBM on their full-lengths.

Edit:

Groke posted:

Exploring the classics also means checking out some Bathory. This is foundational stuff. Dirty, hellbound, epic, with disastrous vocals that somehow make the whole thing greater. At least check out Under the Sign of the Black Mark and Blood Fire Death.

Yes, Bathory is a must.

Razor
May 9, 2004

deltawing posted:

New Absu leaked, it's amazing, as expected, thus far.

It was worth the wait: the new Absu is phenominal, and is setting the bar real high for best album of the year.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

Does the drum SOUND change on any albums? They sound so produced and sterile it kinda ruins what the band is actually doing. I've heard people despise the drums on Tara...

The drums on Tara are a little quiet but it isn't like they ruin the album; Tara is--as far as I'm concerned--phenomenal.

quote:

I would still highly recommend you at LEAST check out Tara and Absu.

Seconded. The Sun of Tiphareth is a fine album, but I'd start with Tara and Absu as well.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Any Old Irony posted:

It's only one track, but the song on Absu's myspace doesn't seem so incredible to me. It's not a bad song, but nothing in it blows my mind. Plus, the production is cleaner than I'd like from a black/thrash band.

It's not the best song on its album. Also, the production is fine; so what if it wasn't recorded on an 8-track player in a forest?

Razor
May 9, 2004

Any Old Irony posted:

There are certain black metal albums that I think can benefit from good production(I like 1184 and Carriers of Dust, for instance) but black/thrash basically always works better if it's raw and dirty. Doesn't need to be S.V.E.S.T or Burzum or something, but I don't think production as crystal clear as this works with the music.

I wouldn't say always... Absu, Blood Tsunami, and Toxic Holocaust are all excellent black/thrash bands that have decent production values. I know the first two are surprisingly disliked around here, but NMD creams itself over Toxic Holocaust all the time.

Razor
May 9, 2004

quantumdots posted:

For the Oslo goon, there was a club we went to with a real generic name, like Rock Club, I think. Is that still around? It was like finding heaven on earth for me: pool tables, cheap beer (only $5 a pint) and black metal blasting on the PA. We saw Vreid play there and went to a Gorgoroth record release party there as well (King and Gaahl were there, Infernus was in jail at the time).

I'm guessing you went to Rock In; yeah, I believe that's still around. As far as Bergen establishments go, I've heard The Garage and Hulen are alright; I haven't been there, though. So I guess take that with a grain of salt.

Razor
May 9, 2004

NicktheBishop posted:

Everyone will tell you this (and it is the best one) but don't let yourself miss Nemesis Divina either.

Yeah, I agree; Nemesis Divina is the last Satyricon album worth checking out--the rest is all poo poo. Mother North is such a good song.

Morbid Florist posted:

I didn't until my girlfriend got in the car and was loudly asking why I was listening to static. Since then that's the word that comes to mind when I think of burzum's guitar tone. I love it but it is what it is.

You should play some Paysage d'Hiver for her.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Aschlafly posted:

Lately I have been getting into a lot of DSBM--so far I'm especially digging Hypothermia and Anti (Ger), as well as obvious standbys like Xasthur and Leviathan's early work. Any other must-listen bands?

Shining is, as far as I'm concerned, the stand-out DSBM band. Then there's Silencer, whose main creative force is insane (and released one album before being institutionalized for a while).

Razor
May 9, 2004

I've only listened through it once and I don't normally rate albums until I've heard them a couple times, but my first impression of the new WITTR is that it isn't very good.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

Just as long as he doesn't do what Jon of Dissection did, and ruin his band, good for him.

I can't believe he's getting out, I figured he was in there forever. I will admit that IF he can do something on par with Aske or Filosofem, I would be fired up. But I don't expect it that's for sure.

Jon should've released Reinkaos under a different band name, considering how different its music was from its predecessors. That said, Varg should've done the same thing with his last two Burzum albums. I don't care if he makes music again or not, but if he does, it better be on par with Aske or Filosofem if it's released under the Burzum banner.

I am surprised he's being released so soon, considering his parole was denied again this past June.

Unacknowledged posted:

I remember reading somewhere that if he decides to make music again, it was going to be in the vein of Filosofem. Not sure how reliable or true that is but I'm hoping for it too.

Varg said it himself on his official site, so I'd imagine it's fairly reliable. Then again, he is prone to changing his mind a lot.

Razor
May 9, 2004

It doesn't get more atmospheric than Summoning. Nokturnal Mortum's earlier poo poo (Twilightfall, Lunar Poetry) should be right up your alley, too. Their later releases are NSBM, so if you're not into that kind of thing, you might want to avoid them. Drudkh would be another good choice.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

How about you listen to the album and then come back and post your precious opinion?

Okay, here's an opinion from someone who's heard the latest from both Amesoeurs and Alcest; neither are black metal, and neither are very appealing. Maybe they're groundbreaking releases in the shoegaze community, but this is the black metal community and we don't like them. So, as usual, I agree with Morbid Florist.

Rain Temple posted:

In other words, if I really wanted to (and if I had the talent) I could join a black metal band tomorrow and start doing vocals for them. If the band produced good, high quality black metal and just happened to have me as a vocalist instead of a guy, who the gently caress is there to say that it's not black metal?

Agreed; I don't give two shits what gender the vocalist--or anyone else in the band--is; all that matters is the quality of the music.

I will, however, echo that there aren't really any good female-fronted black metal bands. And yes, Dyna Soar, I know about Gallhammer and Darkestrah.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Oldstench posted:

And The Archaic Course.

He's also appearing on one track on the new Borknagar album.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Roasted Donut posted:

That's awesome news, I always liked him and Garm more than Vintersorg. Any idea when this is coming out?

It's coming out late this year; September, according to an interview with Øystein. And I, too, prefer Vortex and Garm to Vintersorg.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

But I still like 'Brutal'. :) Especially their older stuff. It's heavy and scratchy, and I would call it 'brutal'. certainly.

"Brutal" better describes death metal rather than black, i.e. Blood Red Throne is brutal death metal, and old Amorphis is death/doom or melodic death. Borknagar, in my mind, is progressive black.

Razor
May 9, 2004

It's confusing to call music brutal whenever an individual deems fitting, when there's already an established group of bands referred to as "brutal" due to their distinct death metal vocal stylings. It'd be like me calling Cradle of Filth black metal; I could think it all I want, but it doesn't make it an accurate description. For example: describing Windir as brutal to a fan of death metal would immediately make that person think Windir is like Cannibal Corpse, or Nile.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

I'd never heard of these guys before this all started here so I took a listen to their myspace tracks. The hate is justified. There's almost no black metal to be heard and what IS heard is a mix of pop metal and crying.

I'm curious in what reality pop metal exists; as far as I'm concerned, the two don't mix.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Cold Day posted:

Yes, because you had to be around when the music first came out to appreciate it.

Groke was responding to the guy who said Varg must've been imprisoned for "10+ years"; he didn't say anything about having to have been alive back then to enjoy the music. But I take it you're in high school? Calm down, dude--we aren't all out to make fun of you kids.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Roasted Donut posted:

Cool now Vortex can focus on a band that doesn't suck

Yeah, this is great news to me because Dimmu is poo poo and Vortex was great in Arcturus and Borknagar. I'm sure Arcturus reforming is a long shot, but here's hoping he does something interesting.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

I'd love for him to work with Vintersorg on some Borky stuff.

He's going to make an appearance on one track on their forthcoming album. I've always preferred Vortex to Vintersorg, so I'm looking forward to it. But it's been delayed--like any album I anticipate--until early 2010.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Roasted Donut posted:

I kind of wish Vintersorg would move on from Borknagar. I like him quite a bit, and I like him in Borknagar, but I've liked each album since he joined less than the last. Empiricism is one of my favorites, Epic is decent, Origins is pretty meh...hopefully the new one will be better. I've always liked Vortex and Garm more as far as Borknagar goes, and would be ecstatic if Vortex came back for good.

I agree: Vintersorg's own albums are fine and all, but his work in Borknagar is sub-par compared to Garm and Vortex. There are three scenarios I'd love to see happen, now that Vortex is out of Dimmu: 1 - Arcturus reforming; 2 - Vortex returning to Borknagar; 3 - Vortex participating in another project that is awesome (and not a massive pile of poo poo like his most recent band). Of course, the latter seems likeliest.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Unacknowledged posted:

Oh poo poo. Arcturus reunion please. Make more music with Vortex for the love of god.

That's the first thing that crossed my mind when I read that. I heard a while back that Steiner was interested in re-forming Arcturus, but I can't remember where I heard it from--so take that with a grain of salt, I suppose. I'm going to hold out hope for one--a new album, or even just a one-off tour with the 05/06 line-up and Delight and Delirium.

quote:

Maybe you haven't been into it so much the last couple of years

I'm not sure how any of them are "into it"; I'd be depressed as poo poo if I were playing with Dimmu on stage.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Secks posted:

Arcturus reunion!

Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo, I can die a happy metalhead. Upon further searching, it seems Hellhammer's calling an Arcturus re-union inevitable; either with Garm or Vortex, it "will happen" apparently.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

Check out Carpathian Forest, they've got a cool black 'n roll type thing going on.

I'm a huge Gorgoroth fanboy, both new and old, but everyone here has heard my spiel a million times. The only thing I'll say now is pick up Antichrist and Pentagram.

These. Also, seconding the Windir recommendation; except I'd suggest Soknardalr or Arntor instead of Arntor, Ein Windir. Cor Scorpii is another good one to check out, if it turns out you like Windir.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Bubble Bathory posted:

Not huge on death metal, which is why I'm here in this thread, but I do like Nile a lot, being a huge Egypt nerd and also because I feel their whole atmosphere lends itself to a sort of "blackness."

I'm not one for much death metal either--I like my metal as black as it gets--but you might want to check out Lykathea Aflame; they sound right up your alley. As far as depressive poo poo goes, Shining is one of the better bands around. Den Saakaldte isn't bad either, and has members from Shining and Mayhem.

Razor
May 9, 2004

saigon_15 posted:

Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane (dark, slow stuff)

Under Ein Blodraud Maane is a phenomenal album; it's a shame their later albums took a turn for the lovely.

Razor
May 9, 2004

saigon_15 posted:

I've heard nothing after Under... should I just remain blissfully ignorant?

Yeah, unless you like avant-garde trip rock.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Cold Day posted:

This band is intriguing, what album by them would you recommend that has this style?

I can't say I'd recommend them; again, I think the only Manes album worth listening to is their first. That said, Vilosophe and How the World Came to an End are their lovely trip-rock albums.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

http://www.gorgoroth.info/discography/

Oh poo poo. Agreed that the production is a bit too clean, but it sounds like this could be a solid album.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Though both are great albums, the new Gorgoroth is much more appealing than the new Immortal.

Razor
May 9, 2004

catbread.jpg posted:

Lol at OV HELL. They sound like they're trying to imitate I.

I still don't get why people think you can make black metal with verses and choruses.

I'm listening to Ghosting now, and it's terrible. King's a decent bassist, but the music he writes never strikes me as good. OV HELL has a talented enough band--aside from Shagrath--but the music is incredibly generic and boring. King should just focus on playing bass in Sahg, because that's the only decent project he has going on right now (that is, of course, assuming Abbath's I is on hiatus due to Immortal's return).

Razor
May 9, 2004

Caucasus Belli posted:

The new Gorgoroth can suck my dick, it's boring as hell and the band doesn't work without Gaahl.

Quantos is much more interesting than Ad Majorem. Also, Gaahl wasn't even significant in Gorgoroth until 2000. Considering they released four albums without him, I think it's safe to say that the band works fine without Gaahl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razor
May 9, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

I don't know how many of you have checked it out yet, but Mistur finally released an album this year. With all the disappointing albums I've heard this year I was fired up for this. Windir fans won't be disappointed. I haven't gone a day in the last week without listening to it. It's called Attende, 7 songs. I don't even think there's a track worth skipping.

Oh poo poo, not only are you back from the dead, but you're bringing news about an album I've been waiting a long time for and somehow missed. I'm listening to it now; it's great. It's not as good as Cor Scorpii's Monument, but Mistur has proven they're still far better than Vreid. It's awesome to hear new Sognametal.